|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Adler's daughter, Catherine, want money?
(a) She wants to invest it in the stock market.
(b) She wants to backpack around Europe.
(c) She wants to go back to school and get a graduate degree.
(d) She wants to rent a gallery for an exhibition.
2. Why doesn't Wilhelm have enough money for rent?
(a) Because he's spent it on psychology sessions with Dr. Tamkin.
(b) Because he's buying clothes that are too expensive.
(c) Because he's losing it all playing games of gin.
(d) Because he's invested it in the stock market.
3. According to Tamkin, the best way to win in the market is to:
(a) Be aggressive.
(b) Use lots of money to invest.
(c) Play it safe.
(d) Use a psychological approach.
4. What are Wilhelm and Tamkin doing together at the beginning of the novel?
(a) Going to the movies.
(b) Taking a swim in the pool.
(c) Speculating in the market.
(d) Writing a screenplay.
5. Who does Dr. Adler always boast about to his friends?
(a) He boasts about himself.
(b) He boasts about his late wife.
(c) He boasts about his children.
(d) He boasts about his former colleagues.
6. Specifically, in which market do Tamkin and Wilhelm invest?
(a) In the products market.
(b) They just invest in general.
(c) In the commodities market.
(d) In the services market.
7. What does Wilhelm's father still call him?
8. How does Dr. Adler feel about Wilhelm?
(a) He feels he makes too much of his problems.
(b) He feels he should have been a psychiatrist.
(c) He feels that Wilhelm is beyond the point of fixing anything in his life.
(d) He feels he is not really his son.
9. What does Wilhelm expect from his father that he can't seem to get?
(b) Medical advice.
(c) Psychological advice.
(d) Stock market advice.
10. Why did Wilhelm change his name when he got to Hollywood?
(a) Maurice Venice demanded it.
(b) Wilhelm always hated his name and couldn't wait to change it.
(c) It was an attempt at gaining freedom.
(d) Wilhelm's father encouraged it.
11. Why is Wilhelm not divorced from Margaret?
(a) He is trying to reconcile with her.
(b) Margaret will not give him a divorce.
(c) They were never married.
(d) He does not want a divorce.
12. Why was Dr. Adler a success?
(a) Because he was smart.
(b) Because of dumb luck.
(c) Because his dad was rich.
(d) Because of hard work.
13. Who has Wilhelm by the throat, and is strangling him?
(d) Dr. Adler.
14. When defending his drugs because they give him a boost against certain things, Wilhelm stops just short of what word?
15. What is the name of the hotel where Wilhelm and Dr. Adler stay?
(a) Hotel Glorious.
(b) Hotel Gloriana.
(c) The Waldorf Hotel.
(d) Hotel Ansonia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What keeps Wilhelm from letting his father have it?
2. What does Wilhelm's own son call him?
3. What is Wilhelm's relationship to his wife, Margaret?
4. Which speech impediment is exaggerated whenever Wilhelm speaks with his dad?
5. What does Wilhelm whine about during breakfast with Dr. Adler and Mr. Perls?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)