|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to survivors in the struggle for existence, the only desires that remain after careful reflection of all desires in one's life?
2. In Part II, Chapter 2, Desire is compared to the nature of fire that burns where?
3. In Part IV, Chapter 10, Collier reminds the reader how the American military uses the method of playing recordings of what to soldiers just as they are falling asleep?
4. How old was the author of Part V, Chapter 15 when he writes of learning the gift in the garden of an author?
5. According to the author, most inventions are the result of years and years of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does desire differentiate between employees and individuals, according to Collier?
2. What is the first secret of Collier's multi-step system, describe in Part I, Chapter 1?
3. What great men does Selwyn James describe in Part V, Chapter 15?
4. How did Albert Lewis Pelton achieve success?
5. How is Albert Lewis Pelton described in his beginnings in Part VIII, Chapter 29?
6. Collier cites an example of Annie, a poverty stricken girl who is delighted to find a job as an errand girl for a fashionable Fifth Avenue dress shop in Part III, Chapter 9. What does Annie do to achieve her goals?
7. What did Albert Lewis Pelton write about the subconscious in The Creed of the Conquering Chief?
8. What metaphor does Collier use to describe desire in Part II, Chapter 2?
9. What does Collier write is the source of courage and stamina?
10. How does Collier define the subconscious mind?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Apostles, Joan of Arc, Andrew Carnegie and other success stories cited in Part V, Chapter 14. What did each of these examples have in common?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of Ideal Desire, and analyze different methods in which one may focus his/her intentions. How does imagination play into this process?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Desire Power and the subconscious mind. What is the relationship between the subconscious and conscious minds and how should one attempt to control the subconscious?
This section contains 1,410 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)