|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of 10-12 what does Poli tell Dr. Darell?
2. What is Stettin's second order in 13-15?
3. Why does Lord Stettin say there is an opportunity for him to build the groundwork for a new empire?
4. In 13-15, what relationship does Stettin want with Arcadia?
5. At the end of 13-15, why does Arcadia believe that the Lieutenant let her go on purpose?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Arcadia convince Palver to go to the Foundation and deliver a message for her?
2. How does Callia convince Stettin to allow herself, Arcadia and Homir into the Mule's palace?
3. Why is the Imperial Library an important place to Arcadia?
4. Why is Dr. Darell caught in a no-win situation in 16-18?
5. Why do Merius and Stettin seek the help of Homir at the end of 10-12?
6. What is Callia's explanation for why no one is allowed to enter into the Mule's palace? Has Stettin entered the palace according to Callia?
7. Why does Anthor try to convice Dr. Darell to go to Trantor?
8. Why is Anthor upset that Arcadia has disappeared?
9. What is appealing to Stettin about Arcadia's heritage? What does Stettin want Arcadia to become for him?
10. How has Kalgan changed since the Mule's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trust is the foundation on what relationships are built and the characters in "Second Foundation" experience many examples of doubt and double-cross. Please respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) How does the issue of trust affect the lives of the characters before the downfall of the Mule?
2) How does the issue of trust affect the lives of the characters after the downfall of the Mule?
3) Does Asimov imply that there really is no true level of trust that can be achieved between people as is portrayed in "Second Foundation"?
Essay Topic 2
The Second Foundation is a powerful yet hidden organization that the title of the book is derived from. Please respond to the following with supporting examples from the novel:
1) How does the author represent the magnitude of influence the Second Foundation has on the galaxy?
2) Why does the Second Foundation's status of hidden and secret add to its power and influence?
3) Is the Second Foundation represented as good or bad force? Why?
Essay Topic 3
By the end of the novel many preconceptions of the plot are turned around in revelations presented by the author. Respond to the following with supporting evidence from the book:
1) What is Asimov's purpose in having so many twist endings?
2) How does the twist ending of the downfall of the Mule differ from the ending of the book as a whole?
3) How do the twist endings serve to screen the inevitable triumph of the Second Foundation in the plot of the book?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)