|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stettin's response to Callia when she tells him that Arcadia said he was going to make an empire?
2. What was Kalgan described as being before the Mule took over?
3. When did Dr. Darell first realize the extent of the Second Foundation's control?
4. Why would it be suspicious for Homir to turn around to drop Arcadia off at home?
5. How does Arcadia tell Palver her secret message?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Anthor upset that Arcadia has disappeared?
2. What is Callia's explanation for why no one is allowed to enter into the Mule's palace? Has Stettin entered the palace according to Callia?
3. What two orders does Stettin send out after Callia manipulates him into thinking he has a chance to start an empire?
4. What is Dr. Darell thinking about at the beginning of 16-18? Why does he decide to stay in his current course of action?
5. What is appealing to Stettin about Arcadia's heritage? What does Stettin want Arcadia to become for him?
6. Why does Anthor try to convice Dr. Darell to go to Trantor?
7. Why is the Imperial Library an important place to Arcadia?
8. How does Dr. Darell soothe Anthor's worries about Arcadia's disappearance?
9. How does Arcadia convince Palver to go to the Foundation and deliver a message for her?
10. Where does Arcadia hide while about Homir's ship? Why does she decide to come out of her hiding spot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The writing technique of foreshadowing event is employed by Asimov throughout the novel. Please respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) How does Asimov foreshadow Channis' betrayal?
2) What clues does the author give about the discord that Dr. Darell and his colleagues experience in their second meeting? How does their first meeting foreshadow this conflict?
3) What is the purpose of foreshadowing in the novel? Does it provide a bigger surprise when events turn out in a different way?
Essay Topic 2
Asimov presents the organizations and characters in the novel in an ambiguous nature, not defining if something is officially good or bad. Please respond to the following with supporting examples from the book:
1) How does the author present an ambiguous viewpoint of the "Second Foundation?"
2) Why is the character development of Dr. Darell an example of Asimov's lack of clearly defining motives and beliefs?
3) What is Asimov's purpose in maintaining an ambiguous stance in "Second Foundation"? Does it allow the reader to make his own decisions?
Essay Topic 3
Trust is the foundation on what relationships are built and the characters in "Second Foundation" experience many examples of doubt and double-cross. Please respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) How does the issue of trust affect the lives of the characters before the downfall of the Mule?
2) How does the issue of trust affect the lives of the characters after the downfall of the Mule?
3) Does Asimov imply that there really is no true level of trust that can be achieved between people as is portrayed in "Second Foundation"?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)