|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mule tells Channis that he realizes Tazenda is not the location of the Second Foundation for what reason?
2. Who stops the Rossem elders' discussion?
3. What disguised title does Anthor receive while visiting with the doctor?
4. Who greets Channis and Pritcher at the end of 1-3?
5. Who does the Mule send to accompany Prichard's final mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 7-9, what reasons does Arcadia give that she has knowledge that her father is expecting a visitor?
2. Why does Dr. Darell scold Arcadia when he enters her room at the beginning of 7-9?
3. What is the Mule's motivations for finding the Second Foundation? How close has he come to this discovery?
4. How does the opening of "Second Foundation" help the reader understand events that have occurred earlier in the trilogy?
5. In 4-6, why is Pritchard so sure that nothing has tampered with him mind?
6. During the confrontation on Rossem, in what trap does Channis catch the Mule?
7. In 4-6, how does the Mule know that Channis is a Second Foundationer?
8. How has Arcadia kept herself busy since Anthor's arrival?
9. In 1-3, what reason does the Mule give Channis about his assurance that the mythical Second Foundation really exists?
10. How does Channis describe the planet that is likely to be home to the Second Foundation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trust is the foundation on what relationships are built and the characters in "Second Foundation" experience many examples of doubt and double-cross. Please respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) How does the issue of trust affect the lives of the characters before the downfall of the Mule?
2) How does the issue of trust affect the lives of the characters after the downfall of the Mule?
3) Does Asimov imply that there really is no true level of trust that can be achieved between people as is portrayed in "Second Foundation"?
Essay Topic 2
The literary tool of satire is employed by the author throughout the novel, using vile dictators and smug warlords for starters. Respond to the following with supporting evidence from the novel:
1) In what ways does Asimov satire governments in "Second Foundation"?
2) How does the author lampoon dictators who lust for power through the rule and downfall of the Mule?
3) What aspect of the novel's satire illustrates the author's view on his political climate?
Essay Topic 3
The author emphasizes individuality through writing about characters' personal choices influencing the events of the book. Respond to the following with supporting references to examples in the novel:
1) How do several characters throughout the story display their own individuality? How does Channis? How does Palver?
2) The character of Pritcher has his mind controlled by the Mule - how does Asimov portray his individuality?
3) What issues in the novel repress individuality? Are these things presented in a positive or negative way?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)