|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Mule choose Channis to help find the Second Foundation?
2. What is Arcadia Darell doing when she is first introduced?
3. What is different about Channis from other characters in 1-3?
4. In 7-9, what is the name of the mysterious man?
5. How does Pritchard claim he knows his mind has not been reconditioned since arriving on Rossem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the leader of the Galaxy and how did this leader rise to power?
2. What difference in time do the events in 7-9 take place after 4-6 and how is this shown by the characters?
3. Toward the end of 1-3, what does the technician find in the ship and what is Channis' response?
4. Why does the Mule choose Channis to accompany Pritcher on the assignment of finding the Second Foundation?
5. In 1-3, what reason does the Mule give Channis about his assurance that the mythical Second Foundation really exists?
6. During the confrontation on Rossem, in what trap does Channis catch the Mule?
7. Why did the Seldon Plan fail as described by the author?
8. How do the Rossem elders react to the arrival of Pritchard and Channis?
9. What do Dr. Darell and Anthor do for the week after Anthor's arrival? How does this help with Anthor's disguise?
10. In 7-9, what reasons does Arcadia give that she has knowledge that her father is expecting a visitor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trust is the foundation on what relationships are built and the characters in "Second Foundation" experience many examples of doubt and double-cross. Please respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) How does the issue of trust affect the lives of the characters before the downfall of the Mule?
2) How does the issue of trust affect the lives of the characters after the downfall of the Mule?
3) Does Asimov imply that there really is no true level of trust that can be achieved between people as is portrayed in "Second Foundation"?
Essay Topic 2
During the 1940s and 1950s, both the United Sates and the USSR struggled to achieve dominance in their area of the globe. Asimov uses this scuffle for power as inspiration for the novel. Respond to the following with supporting examples from the book:
1) How does Asimov parallel the dominance of the Mule with that of the USSR?
2) Why do the geographic locations of the Foundation and the Mule mimic that of the United States and the USSR?
3) What is Asimov's purpose in making comparisons to that point in history with his novel?
Essay Topic 3
Being the third book in the Foundation Trilogy, "Second Foundation" has many qualities that clue the reader into it being part of a series. Please respond to the following with supporting details from the novel:
1) How does Asimov include the reader into the series right from the start in his introduction to the book?
2) What events in the story are continuations from previous books in the series?
3) Is a reader able to read "Second Foundation" without having read the two previous books? How does Asimov assist in this process?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)