|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pritcher's reaction when Channis says that the Mule does not know where they are going?
2. Why does Anthor want Dr. Darell and his colleagues to scan their minds in 7-9?
3. Toward the end of 1-3, what does the technician tell Channis he has discovered on board the ship?
4. What is the reason behind the Mule's power?
5. Pritcher was originally part of what organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the leader of the Galaxy and how did this leader rise to power?
2. How does Channis describe the planet that is likely to be home to the Second Foundation?
3. Why does Dr. Darell scold Arcadia when he enters her room at the beginning of 7-9?
4. How has Arcadia kept herself busy since Anthor's arrival?
5. What is the Mule's motivations for finding the Second Foundation? How close has he come to this discovery?
6. Toward the end of 1-3, what does the technician find in the ship and what is Channis' response?
7. During the confrontation on Rossem, in what trap does Channis catch the Mule?
8. How do the Rossem elders react to the arrival of Pritchard and Channis?
9. How does the Mule admit defeat? What happens after the Mule's defeat?
10. In 4-6, why is Pritchard so sure that nothing has tampered with him mind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Being the third book in the Foundation Trilogy, "Second Foundation" has many qualities that clue the reader into it being part of a series. Please respond to the following with supporting details from the novel:
1) How does Asimov include the reader into the series right from the start in his introduction to the book?
2) What events in the story are continuations from previous books in the series?
3) Is a reader able to read "Second Foundation" without having read the two previous books? How does Asimov assist in this process?
Essay Topic 2
By the end of the novel many preconceptions of the plot are turned around in revelations presented by the author. Respond to the following with supporting evidence from the book:
1) What is Asimov's purpose in having so many twist endings?
2) How does the twist ending of the downfall of the Mule differ from the ending of the book as a whole?
3) How do the twist endings serve to screen the inevitable triumph of the Second Foundation in the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
The Second Foundation is a powerful yet hidden organization that the title of the book is derived from. Please respond to the following with supporting examples from the novel:
1) How does the author represent the magnitude of influence the Second Foundation has on the galaxy?
2) Why does the Second Foundation's status of hidden and secret add to its power and influence?
3) Is the Second Foundation represented as good or bad force? Why?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)