|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Mule react when he learns he has been outwitted?
2. What is Arcadia's reaction when the mysterious man wants to come inside her home?
3. Pritchard describes the people of Rossem in what way?
4. Why does the Mule say that Channis will be less likely to be detected by the Second Foundation?
5. What is the reason behind the Mule's power?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the history of Han Pritcher and how does this character remember his past?
2. How does the opening of "Second Foundation" help the reader understand events that have occurred earlier in the trilogy?
3. How does Channis describe the planet that is likely to be home to the Second Foundation?
4. Why does Anthor want everyone at the meeting in 7-9 to get their brains scanned?
5. How does the Mule admit defeat? What happens after the Mule's defeat?
6. In 4-6, how does the Mule know that Channis is a Second Foundationer?
7. What difference in time do the events in 7-9 take place after 4-6 and how is this shown by the characters?
8. When Pritchard grows fearful and begins to think about his life before the Mule conditioned his mind, how does he react?
9. During the confrontation on Rossem, in what trap does Channis catch the Mule?
10. Why does the Mule choose Channis to accompany Pritcher on the assignment of finding the Second Foundation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The literary tool of satire is employed by the author throughout the novel, using vile dictators and smug warlords for starters. Respond to the following with supporting evidence from the novel:
1) In what ways does Asimov satire governments in "Second Foundation"?
2) How does the author lampoon dictators who lust for power through the rule and downfall of the Mule?
3) What aspect of the novel's satire illustrates the author's view on his political climate?
Essay Topic 2
Isaac Asimov has had substantial influence in the modern world due to his widely known written works of both nonfiction and fiction. Please respond to the following with supporting facts:
1) How did Asimov's childhood influence his career choice?
2) How did Asimov's career as a science professor influence his choice to write science fiction?
3) What examples of Asimov's beliefs are evident in "Second Foundation"?
Essay Topic 3
During the 1940s and 1950s, both the United Sates and the USSR struggled to achieve dominance in their area of the globe. Asimov uses this scuffle for power as inspiration for the novel. Respond to the following with supporting examples from the book:
1) How does Asimov parallel the dominance of the Mule with that of the USSR?
2) Why do the geographic locations of the Foundation and the Mule mimic that of the United States and the USSR?
3) What is Asimov's purpose in making comparisons to that point in history with his novel?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)