|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Pritchard grow fearful in 4-6?
2. How does the Mule know that Channis is a Second Foundationer?
3. What is Pritcher's immediate reaction upon first meeting Channis?
4. What is Pritcher's reaction when Channis says that the Mule does not know where they are going?
5. What is the name of the Mule specialist?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anthor ask Dr. Darell as they descend downstairs in 7-9? What is Dr. Darell's reaction?
2. In 1-3, what reason does the Mule give Channis about his assurance that the mythical Second Foundation really exists?
3. Why does Dr. Darell scold Arcadia when he enters her room at the beginning of 7-9?
4. What reasons does the Mule give for believing that the Second Foundation was not on Tazenda judging by Channis' reactions?
5. What do Dr. Darell and Anthor do for the week after Anthor's arrival? How does this help with Anthor's disguise?
6. Why does the Mule choose Channis to accompany Pritcher on the assignment of finding the Second Foundation?
7. What difference in time do the events in 7-9 take place after 4-6 and how is this shown by the characters?
8. What factors contribute to Channis' popularity on Kaglan?
9. In 4-6, why is Pritchard so sure that nothing has tampered with him mind?
10. In 7-9, what reasons does Arcadia give that she has knowledge that her father is expecting a visitor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Asimov is a leading author in the literary genre of science fiction and his novel "Second Foundation" is an example of his work that fits into this category. Respond to the following with supporting examples from the story:
1) How does the setting of the novel reflect elements of science fiction?
2) How does the technology featured in the novel reflect attributes of science fiction?
3) In what ways does science fiction allow Asimov to write about events featured in "Second Foundation"?
Essay Topic 2
Powerful forces in the fictional society of "Second Foundation" are able to influence and even control the minds of humans. Respond to the following with supporting evidence from the novel:
1) In the novel, what level of difficulty is the ability to control a person's mind? How easily influenced are people by the Mule or the Second Foundation?
2) How does the author portray that certainty a person can have about someone's mind being control? How about the certainty of a person's own mind being controlled?
3) What is the difference between the controlling powers of the Mule versus the powers of the Second Foundation?
Essay Topic 3
Trust is the foundation on what relationships are built and the characters in "Second Foundation" experience many examples of doubt and double-cross. Please respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) How does the issue of trust affect the lives of the characters before the downfall of the Mule?
2) How does the issue of trust affect the lives of the characters after the downfall of the Mule?
3) Does Asimov imply that there really is no true level of trust that can be achieved between people as is portrayed in "Second Foundation"?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)