|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reason behind the Mule's power?
2. What does Arcadia friend build for her?
3. What is the first thing that Pritchard and Channis do in 4-6?
4. What does Pritchard say that Channis would do after being hired by the Mule?
5. Pritcher and Channis are searching for a world that is described how?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Channis describe the people of Rossem?
2. What is the Mule's motivations for finding the Second Foundation? How close has he come to this discovery?
3. Toward the end of 1-3, what does the technician find in the ship and what is Channis' response?
4. What is the history of Han Pritcher and how does this character remember his past?
5. Why does Pritchard pull a gun on Channis? What are his reasons for accusing Channis of this crime?
6. What factors contribute to Channis' popularity on Kaglan?
7. How does the Mule admit defeat? What happens after the Mule's defeat?
8. In 4-6, how does the Mule know that Channis is a Second Foundationer?
9. How does the opening of "Second Foundation" help the reader understand events that have occurred earlier in the trilogy?
10. In 7-9, what reasons does Arcadia give that she has knowledge that her father is expecting a visitor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The literary tool of satire is employed by the author throughout the novel, using vile dictators and smug warlords for starters. Respond to the following with supporting evidence from the novel:
1) In what ways does Asimov satire governments in "Second Foundation"?
2) How does the author lampoon dictators who lust for power through the rule and downfall of the Mule?
3) What aspect of the novel's satire illustrates the author's view on his political climate?
Essay Topic 2
By the end of the novel many preconceptions of the plot are turned around in revelations presented by the author. Respond to the following with supporting evidence from the book:
1) What is Asimov's purpose in having so many twist endings?
2) How does the twist ending of the downfall of the Mule differ from the ending of the book as a whole?
3) How do the twist endings serve to screen the inevitable triumph of the Second Foundation in the plot of the book?
Essay Topic 3
During the 1940s and 1950s, both the United Sates and the USSR struggled to achieve dominance in their area of the globe. Asimov uses this scuffle for power as inspiration for the novel. Respond to the following with supporting examples from the book:
1) How does Asimov parallel the dominance of the Mule with that of the USSR?
2) Why do the geographic locations of the Foundation and the Mule mimic that of the United States and the USSR?
3) What is Asimov's purpose in making comparisons to that point in history with his novel?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)