|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pritchard claim he knows his mind has not been reconditioned since arriving on Rossem?
2. Pritcher and Channis are searching for a world that is described how?
3. At the start of the book, who is the leader of the galaxy?
4. What type of lifestyle does Channis describe the people of Rossem leading?
5. Who set up two scientific locations three hundred years prior as recounted in "Second Foundation"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the history of Han Pritcher and how does this character remember his past?
2. What is the Mule's motivations for finding the Second Foundation? How close has he come to this discovery?
3. What is Arcadia's reaction when she sees the man at her window?
4. In 7-9, what reasons does Arcadia give that she has knowledge that her father is expecting a visitor?
5. Who is the leader of the Galaxy and how did this leader rise to power?
6. What are Channis' reasons for telling Pritchard that his mind has been tampered with by the Second Foundation in 4-6? Why would the Second Foundation leave Pritchard's feeling of loyalty?
7. How has Arcadia kept herself busy since Anthor's arrival?
8. How does the Mule admit defeat? What happens after the Mule's defeat?
9. In 4-6, how does the Mule know that Channis is a Second Foundationer?
10. During the confrontation on Rossem, in what trap does Channis catch the Mule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tone of the novel has an important effect on a reader's reading experience. "Second Foundation" is solemn in its content and tone. Please respond to the following with supporting evidence from the book:
1) How does Asimov establish the serious tone of the novel from the beginning of the book?
2) What are the major themes of the book and how do these themes affect the tone of the story?
3) Does the serious tone of "Second Foundation" help to accentuate the way the reader perceives the story?
Essay Topic 2
Asimov is a leading author in the literary genre of science fiction and his novel "Second Foundation" is an example of his work that fits into this category. Respond to the following with supporting examples from the story:
1) How does the setting of the novel reflect elements of science fiction?
2) How does the technology featured in the novel reflect attributes of science fiction?
3) In what ways does science fiction allow Asimov to write about events featured in "Second Foundation"?
Essay Topic 3
In today's society technology plays a vital role in daily activities. This use of technology is emulated in the novel and is a major influence on plot developments. Please respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What technology is featured in the novel that has yet to be invented? How does this help to captivate the reader?
2) What types of technology are used during the book to change the course of events in the plot?
3) Why does the author place such importance on technology in the novel?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)