Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Mule tells Channis that he realizes Tazenda is not the location of the Second Foundation for what reason?
2. How does Channis gain the upper hand against the Mule in their confrontation on Rossem?
3. Who is the first character introduced in 7-9?
4. As recounted in 1-3, who almost told the Mule the location of the Second Foundation five years before?
5. In 4-6, why does Channis say that he was picked to work for the Mule even though he is unconditioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Mule admit defeat? What happens after the Mule's defeat?
2. Why is the Imperial Library an important place to Arcadia?
3. Where does Arcadia hide while about Homir's ship? Why does she decide to come out of her hiding spot?
4. Where is the real location of the Second Foundation? Who is the real First Speaker?
5. What happens when Anthor asks to use the remote control for the Mental Static Device? What does Dr. Darell do afterward?
6. Why does Anthor try to convice Dr. Darell to go to Trantor?
7. How do Dr. Darell and his colleagues describe the war?
8. What does Callia do for Arcadia in her private chamber? What does Arcadia see as Callia flees the room?
9. How does Arcadia convince Palver to go to the Foundation and deliver a message for her?
10. Why do Merius and Stettin seek the help of Homir at the end of 10-12?
Essay Topic 1
Asimov is a leading author in the literary genre of science fiction and his novel "Second Foundation" is an example of his work that fits into this category. Respond to the following with supporting examples from the story:
1) How does the setting of the novel reflect elements of science fiction?
2) How does the technology featured in the novel reflect attributes of science fiction?
3) In what ways does science fiction allow Asimov to write about events featured in "Second Foundation"?
Essay Topic 2
Trust is the foundation on what relationships are built and the characters in "Second Foundation" experience many examples of doubt and double-cross. Please respond with supporting examples to the following:
1) How does the issue of trust affect the lives of the characters before the downfall of the Mule?
2) How does the issue of trust affect the lives of the characters after the downfall of the Mule?
3) Does Asimov imply that there really is no true level of trust that can be achieved between people as is portrayed in "Second Foundation"?
Essay Topic 3
In today's society technology plays a vital role in daily activities. This use of technology is emulated in the novel and is a major influence on plot developments. Please respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What technology is featured in the novel that has yet to be invented? How does this help to captivate the reader?
2) What types of technology are used during the book to change the course of events in the plot?
3) Why does the author place such importance on technology in the novel?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)