|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Mule say that Channis will be less likely to be detected by the Second Foundation?
2. How does Pritchard claim he knows his mind has not been reconditioned since arriving on Rossem?
3. What does the narrator describe a hyper relay device as allowing outside sources to do?
4. What surprises Arcadia at the beginning of 7-9?
5. In 4-6, why does Channis say that he was picked to work for the Mule even though he is unconditioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. In 4-6, how does the Mule know that Channis is a Second Foundationer?
2. Why does Dr. Darell scold Arcadia when he enters her room at the beginning of 7-9?
3. What is the Mule's motivations for finding the Second Foundation? How close has he come to this discovery?
4. Toward the end of 1-3, what does the technician find in the ship and what is Channis' response?
5. How does Channis describe the planet that is likely to be home to the Second Foundation?
6. What factors contribute to Channis' popularity on Kaglan?
7. Why did the Seldon Plan fail as described by the author?
8. What is the history of Han Pritcher and how does this character remember his past?
9. What do Dr. Darell and Anthor do for the week after Anthor's arrival? How does this help with Anthor's disguise?
10. When Pritchard grows fearful and begins to think about his life before the Mule conditioned his mind, how does he react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Isaac Asimov has had substantial influence in the modern world due to his widely known written works of both nonfiction and fiction. Please respond to the following with supporting facts:
1) How did Asimov's childhood influence his career choice?
2) How did Asimov's career as a science professor influence his choice to write science fiction?
3) What examples of Asimov's beliefs are evident in "Second Foundation"?
Essay Topic 2
There are three female characters presented in "Second Foundation:" Arcadia, Callia and Momma. All of the characters have great influence in the plot of the novel. Please respond to the following with supporting evidence:
1) What way does Asimov portray the character of Arcadia?
2) What way does Asimov portray the character of Callia?
3) What way does Asimov portray the character of Momma?
4) Does the author imply that females have important roles in society alongside that of men?
Essay Topic 3
With family members, political rulers and even one's own mind being controlled by powerful forces, paranoia plays a powerful role in the novel. Respond to the following with supporting details from "Second Foundation."
1) In what ways does the character of Pritcher exhibit extreme paranoia?
2) What are the reasons that the characters in the book are paranoid? Does the author validate these reasons by the end of the novel?
3) How does the author use a reader's real life concern about mind control to underscore the paranoia in the book?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)