|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Mule say that Channis will be less likely to be detected by the Second Foundation?
2. On what planet does the novel begin?
3. In 1-3, what reason does the Mule give Channis for wanting him to find the Second Foundation?
4. What is the reason behind the Mule's power?
5. Why does Arcadia tell her father she was being rude to Anthor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the leader of the Galaxy and how did this leader rise to power?
2. What reasons does the Mule give for believing that the Second Foundation was not on Tazenda judging by Channis' reactions?
3. Why does the Mule choose Channis to accompany Pritcher on the assignment of finding the Second Foundation?
4. How do the Rossem elders react to the arrival of Pritchard and Channis?
5. What do Dr. Darell and Anthor do for the week after Anthor's arrival? How does this help with Anthor's disguise?
6. What is the history of Han Pritcher and how does this character remember his past?
7. What does Anthor ask Dr. Darell as they descend downstairs in 7-9? What is Dr. Darell's reaction?
8. How does Channis describe the people of Rossem?
9. Why does Pritchard pull a gun on Channis? What are his reasons for accusing Channis of this crime?
10. How does the Mule admit defeat? What happens after the Mule's defeat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
During the 1940s and 1950s, both the United Sates and the USSR struggled to achieve dominance in their area of the globe. Asimov uses this scuffle for power as inspiration for the novel. Respond to the following with supporting examples from the book:
1) How does Asimov parallel the dominance of the Mule with that of the USSR?
2) Why do the geographic locations of the Foundation and the Mule mimic that of the United States and the USSR?
3) What is Asimov's purpose in making comparisons to that point in history with his novel?
Essay Topic 2
The Second Foundation is a powerful yet hidden organization that the title of the book is derived from. Please respond to the following with supporting examples from the novel:
1) How does the author represent the magnitude of influence the Second Foundation has on the galaxy?
2) Why does the Second Foundation's status of hidden and secret add to its power and influence?
3) Is the Second Foundation represented as good or bad force? Why?
Essay Topic 3
In today's society technology plays a vital role in daily activities. This use of technology is emulated in the novel and is a major influence on plot developments. Please respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What technology is featured in the novel that has yet to be invented? How does this help to captivate the reader?
2) What types of technology are used during the book to change the course of events in the plot?
3) Why does the author place such importance on technology in the novel?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)