|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Anthor ask Dr. Darell while descending the stairs in 7-9?
2. What is Dr. Darell's response upon hearing Anthor's advice on the staircase?
3. When does Pritchard grow fearful in 4-6?
4. In 4-6, why does Channis say that he was picked to work for the Mule even though he is unconditioned?
5. How do the Rossem elders describe Tazenda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dr. Darell caught in a no-win situation in 16-18?
2. Why does Anthor try to convice Dr. Darell to go to Trantor?
3. How does the Mule admit defeat? What happens after the Mule's defeat?
4. What secret does Anthor reveal about the Lieutenant Dirige to Dr. Darell?
5. Why did the Seldon Plan fail as described by the author?
6. Why does Anthor want everyone at the meeting in 7-9 to get their brains scanned?
7. How does Dr. Darell soothe Anthor's worries about Arcadia's disappearance?
8. How has Kalgan changed since the Mule's death?
9. How does Arcadia convince Palver to go to the Foundation and deliver a message for her?
10. Why does the Mule choose Channis to accompany Pritcher on the assignment of finding the Second Foundation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Second Foundation is a powerful yet hidden organization that the title of the book is derived from. Please respond to the following with supporting examples from the novel:
1) How does the author represent the magnitude of influence the Second Foundation has on the galaxy?
2) Why does the Second Foundation's status of hidden and secret add to its power and influence?
3) Is the Second Foundation represented as good or bad force? Why?
Essay Topic 2
In today's society technology plays a vital role in daily activities. This use of technology is emulated in the novel and is a major influence on plot developments. Please respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What technology is featured in the novel that has yet to be invented? How does this help to captivate the reader?
2) What types of technology are used during the book to change the course of events in the plot?
3) Why does the author place such importance on technology in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
There are three female characters presented in "Second Foundation:" Arcadia, Callia and Momma. All of the characters have great influence in the plot of the novel. Please respond to the following with supporting evidence:
1) What way does Asimov portray the character of Arcadia?
2) What way does Asimov portray the character of Callia?
3) What way does Asimov portray the character of Momma?
4) Does the author imply that females have important roles in society alongside that of men?
This section contains 2,423 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)