|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Arcadia friend build for her?
2. What disguised title does Anthor receive while visiting with the doctor?
3. In 4-6, why does Channis say that he was picked to work for the Mule even though he is unconditioned?
4. On what planet does the novel begin?
5. Channis says in 1-3 that in order to find the Second Foundation, they must search for a world strong in mental power but lacking in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difference in time do the events in 7-9 take place after 4-6 and how is this shown by the characters?
2. What do Dr. Darell and Anthor do for the week after Anthor's arrival? How does this help with Anthor's disguise?
3. In 4-6, why is Pritchard so sure that nothing has tampered with him mind?
4. How does Channis describe the people of Rossem?
5. What is the history of Han Pritcher and how does this character remember his past?
6. Why does Dr. Darell scold Arcadia when he enters her room at the beginning of 7-9?
7. What factors contribute to Channis' popularity on Kaglan?
8. During the confrontation on Rossem, in what trap does Channis catch the Mule?
9. Toward the end of 1-3, what does the technician find in the ship and what is Channis' response?
10. What is Arcadia's reaction when she sees the man at her window?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Being the third book in the Foundation Trilogy, "Second Foundation" has many qualities that clue the reader into it being part of a series. Please respond to the following with supporting details from the novel:
1) How does Asimov include the reader into the series right from the start in his introduction to the book?
2) What events in the story are continuations from previous books in the series?
3) Is a reader able to read "Second Foundation" without having read the two previous books? How does Asimov assist in this process?
Essay Topic 2
Arcadia Darell plays a pivotal role in the events of the novel, yet she is only a 14 year old girl. Please respond to the following with support from "Second Foundation."
1) What attributes does Asimov give Arcadia that represent adolescence in a positive way?
2) What attributes does Asimov give Arcadia that represent adolescence in a negative way?
3) What is Asimov saying about the ability of teenagers to influence society and their community as illustrated in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
With family members, political rulers and even one's own mind being controlled by powerful forces, paranoia plays a powerful role in the novel. Respond to the following with supporting details from "Second Foundation."
1) In what ways does the character of Pritcher exhibit extreme paranoia?
2) What are the reasons that the characters in the book are paranoid? Does the author validate these reasons by the end of the novel?
3) How does the author use a reader's real life concern about mind control to underscore the paranoia in the book?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)