|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about Channis from other characters in 1-3?
2. Channis says in 1-3 that in order to find the Second Foundation, they must search for a world strong in mental power but lacking in what?
3. For what does the Mule have Pritcher search in 1-3?
4. Where does Channis decide to land the ship at the end of 1-3?
5. What happens to Pritchard as he has disloyal thoughts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Dr. Darell and Anthor do for the week after Anthor's arrival? How does this help with Anthor's disguise?
2. How does the opening of "Second Foundation" help the reader understand events that have occurred earlier in the trilogy?
3. Why did the Seldon Plan fail as described by the author?
4. How has Arcadia kept herself busy since Anthor's arrival?
5. Why does Anthor want everyone at the meeting in 7-9 to get their brains scanned?
6. What are Channis' reasons for telling Pritchard that his mind has been tampered with by the Second Foundation in 4-6? Why would the Second Foundation leave Pritchard's feeling of loyalty?
7. How does the Mule admit defeat? What happens after the Mule's defeat?
8. Who is the leader of the Galaxy and how did this leader rise to power?
9. In 1-3, what reason does the Mule give Channis about his assurance that the mythical Second Foundation really exists?
10. What does Anthor ask Dr. Darell as they descend downstairs in 7-9? What is Dr. Darell's reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Arcadia Darell plays a pivotal role in the events of the novel, yet she is only a 14 year old girl. Please respond to the following with support from "Second Foundation."
1) What attributes does Asimov give Arcadia that represent adolescence in a positive way?
2) What attributes does Asimov give Arcadia that represent adolescence in a negative way?
3) What is Asimov saying about the ability of teenagers to influence society and their community as illustrated in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The Second Foundation is a powerful yet hidden organization that the title of the book is derived from. Please respond to the following with supporting examples from the novel:
1) How does the author represent the magnitude of influence the Second Foundation has on the galaxy?
2) Why does the Second Foundation's status of hidden and secret add to its power and influence?
3) Is the Second Foundation represented as good or bad force? Why?
Essay Topic 3
With family members, political rulers and even one's own mind being controlled by powerful forces, paranoia plays a powerful role in the novel. Respond to the following with supporting details from "Second Foundation."
1) In what ways does the character of Pritcher exhibit extreme paranoia?
2) What are the reasons that the characters in the book are paranoid? Does the author validate these reasons by the end of the novel?
3) How does the author use a reader's real life concern about mind control to underscore the paranoia in the book?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)