|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toward the end of 1-3, what does the technician tell Channis he has discovered on board the ship?
2. What other way does Arcadia tell Anthor as advice to be more inconspicuous upon visiting?
3. What does Arcadia friend build for her?
4. What planet does Channis say is near the location of the Second Foundation?
5. In 7-9, what is the name of the mysterious man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Channis describe the planet that is likely to be home to the Second Foundation?
2. What is Arcadia's reaction when she sees the man at her window?
3. What is the history of Han Pritcher and how does this character remember his past?
4. What are Channis' reasons for telling Pritchard that his mind has been tampered with by the Second Foundation in 4-6? Why would the Second Foundation leave Pritchard's feeling of loyalty?
5. In 4-6, why is Pritchard so sure that nothing has tampered with him mind?
6. In 1-3, what reason does the Mule give Channis about his assurance that the mythical Second Foundation really exists?
7. What is the Mule's motivations for finding the Second Foundation? How close has he come to this discovery?
8. During the confrontation on Rossem, in what trap does Channis catch the Mule?
9. How has Arcadia kept herself busy since Anthor's arrival?
10. Why did the Seldon Plan fail as described by the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Isaac Asimov has had substantial influence in the modern world due to his widely known written works of both nonfiction and fiction. Please respond to the following with supporting facts:
1) How did Asimov's childhood influence his career choice?
2) How did Asimov's career as a science professor influence his choice to write science fiction?
3) What examples of Asimov's beliefs are evident in "Second Foundation"?
Essay Topic 2
With family members, political rulers and even one's own mind being controlled by powerful forces, paranoia plays a powerful role in the novel. Respond to the following with supporting details from "Second Foundation."
1) In what ways does the character of Pritcher exhibit extreme paranoia?
2) What are the reasons that the characters in the book are paranoid? Does the author validate these reasons by the end of the novel?
3) How does the author use a reader's real life concern about mind control to underscore the paranoia in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Asimov is a leading author in the literary genre of science fiction and his novel "Second Foundation" is an example of his work that fits into this category. Respond to the following with supporting examples from the story:
1) How does the setting of the novel reflect elements of science fiction?
2) How does the technology featured in the novel reflect attributes of science fiction?
3) In what ways does science fiction allow Asimov to write about events featured in "Second Foundation"?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)