|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1-3, what reason does the Mule give Channis for wanting him to find the Second Foundation?
2. Channis tells Pritchard that Tazenda is the Second Foundation because Rossem views Tazenda how?
3. What does the First Speaker condition the Mule's mind to believe?
4. How do the Rossem elders describe Tazenda?
5. In 7-9, what is the name of the mysterious man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Arcadia's reaction when she sees the man at her window?
2. What is the history of Han Pritcher and how does this character remember his past?
3. Why did the Seldon Plan fail as described by the author?
4. What does Anthor ask Dr. Darell as they descend downstairs in 7-9? What is Dr. Darell's reaction?
5. Who is the leader of the Galaxy and how did this leader rise to power?
6. What factors contribute to Channis' popularity on Kaglan?
7. How does Channis describe the people of Rossem?
8. Why does Anthor want everyone at the meeting in 7-9 to get their brains scanned?
9. How has Arcadia kept herself busy since Anthor's arrival?
10. What is the Mule's motivations for finding the Second Foundation? How close has he come to this discovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Asimov is a leading author in the literary genre of science fiction and his novel "Second Foundation" is an example of his work that fits into this category. Respond to the following with supporting examples from the story:
1) How does the setting of the novel reflect elements of science fiction?
2) How does the technology featured in the novel reflect attributes of science fiction?
3) In what ways does science fiction allow Asimov to write about events featured in "Second Foundation"?
Essay Topic 2
In today's society technology plays a vital role in daily activities. This use of technology is emulated in the novel and is a major influence on plot developments. Please respond to the following with supporting examples:
1) What technology is featured in the novel that has yet to be invented? How does this help to captivate the reader?
2) What types of technology are used during the book to change the course of events in the plot?
3) Why does the author place such importance on technology in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
By the end of the novel many preconceptions of the plot are turned around in revelations presented by the author. Respond to the following with supporting evidence from the book:
1) What is Asimov's purpose in having so many twist endings?
2) How does the twist ending of the downfall of the Mule differ from the ending of the book as a whole?
3) How do the twist endings serve to screen the inevitable triumph of the Second Foundation in the plot of the book?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)