|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ford search the land surrounding the prison camp for, hoping to extract some poison from it?
2. What is the name of the song the three-piece jazz band plays at the bar Ford visits with Wendy Stafford?
3. How long was Ford in a coma before he woke up?
4. What gift does Ford promise to give Zacul, which makes Zacul very excited?
5. What color are the uniforms the soldiers who abduct Ford are wearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zacul react when he sees that many of his guards are falling ill?
2. What relationship does Ford have with Durell?
3. What type of studying does Tomlinson do in preparation for his meeting with Zacul?
4. What sound does Ford hear in the distance while he is inside Zacul's tent?
5. How does Tomlinson prove his dedication to Ford while staying at General Riviera's?
6. How does General Juan Riviera greet Ford when he arrives in Masagua?
7. What is the first thing Ford sees when he wakes up from his blackout?
8. What confessions does Pilar make to Ford when she sees him after the fight?
9. How does the judge in Sandy Key treat Ford when he hears Ford is searching for Jake Hollins?
10. How does Helen, Hollins's ex-wife, treat Ford when he arrives at her doorstep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Ford calls on old friendships that stretch back even to high school in order to create a network of people that can feed him information when needed. First, create a list of characters Ford calls on from his past to help in his investigation into Jake's disappearance. Then, choose one relationship from Ford's past that proves to be particularly valuable in his investigation. Do you think Ford's investigation would have been a success without this character's help? Be sure to cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Although Jake Hollins is relatively absent from the pages of the novel as a whole, he could be considered one of the most important characters in the story. First, describe Jake Hollins and his relationship with Ford. Do you think Jake should be considered one of the most important characters in the novel? Choose at least two specific scenes from the novel to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
At the opening of the novel, Ford is speeding away through an underground tunnel from the Presidential Palace in Masagua. First, explain what Ford was doing in the Presidential Palace to begin with. Then, explain how Ford used his cunning and wit to escape, undetected from danger. Finally, explain how these events, which take place in the prologue, spin the action of the entire novel into motion.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)