|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following charges was DeArmond not arrested for in his lifetime?
2. What does Ford use to build a small fort, hoping to attract Jake's attention?
3. What is the name of the drug dealer Bernstein believes has Jake Hollins?
4. Which of the following characters accuses Ford of being a member of the CIA?
5. Who is in charge of transporting Hollins's ashes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sound does Ford hear in the distance while he is inside Zacul's tent?
2. What type of documentation does Ford bring with him to Costa Rica?
3. Why does Ford spend an evening searching for frogs in Zacul's prison camp?
4. How does General Riviera react to the true reason as to why Ford is in Masagua?
5. How does General Juan Riviera greet Ford when he arrives in Masagua?
6. What type of studying does Tomlinson do in preparation for his meeting with Zacul?
7. How does Helen, Hollins's ex-wife, treat Ford when he arrives at her doorstep?
8. What happens when Ford goes to Jessica's to visit with her after returning home from Masagua?
9. Who is Wendy Stafford?
10. What is Ford's reaction to Hollins's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the novel, Ford is speeding away through an underground tunnel from the Presidential Palace in Masagua. First, explain what Ford was doing in the Presidential Palace to begin with. Then, explain how Ford used his cunning and wit to escape, undetected from danger. Finally, explain how these events, which take place in the prologue, spin the action of the entire novel into motion.
Essay Topic 2
Zacul is a dangerous character interested in preserving only one thing: himself. First, describe Zacul physically. According to the text, what conclusions can one make about Zacul's character simply by looking at him? Are these conclusions usually true? Be sure to choose at least two scenes from the novel that exemplify Zacul's character and describe them, strengthening your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The people of Masagua have an interesting history. First, describe the history that is recorded in the Kin Qux Cho. Who is allowed access to this history? Then, explain how the history of the Masagua people directly affects the plot of the novel and the life of young Jake Hollins. Be sure to cite at least two specific examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)