|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rivera call Tomlinson based on his first impression of Ford's traveling partner?
2. What sound does Ford hear in the distance as he is trying to give medical attention to Zacul?
3. Who does Jake Hollins stay with after being returned to America?
4. Which of the following continents has Tomlinson not traveled to in his lifetime?
5. When Ford leaves to search for Zacul in the morning, how many armed soldiers does Riviera send along with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of studying does Tomlinson do in preparation for his meeting with Zacul?
2. Why does General Suarez burst into Ford's hotel room in Masagua?
3. What do Ford and Tomlinson discuss when they are in the prisoner truck headed to the camp?
4. What relationship does Ford have with Durell?
5. How does Jessica react when she hears about Ford and Dr. Braun-Richards?
6. What confessions does Pilar make to Ford when she sees him after the fight?
7. What condition is Jake Hollins in when Ford finally finds him?
8. How does General Riviera react to the true reason as to why Ford is in Masagua?
9. How was Ford saved during the fight at Zacul's camp?
10. How does Tomlinson prove his dedication to Ford while staying at General Riviera's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people of Masagua have an interesting history. First, describe the history that is recorded in the Kin Qux Cho. Who is allowed access to this history? Then, explain how the history of the Masagua people directly affects the plot of the novel and the life of young Jake Hollins. Be sure to cite at least two specific examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Hollins's rocky relationship and divorce from his ex-wife proved to be a turning point in his life. First, describe the relationship Hollins had with his ex-wife and what events led to their divorce. Then, explain how the series of events directly stemming from the divorce led to the ultimate kidnapping of their son.
Essay Topic 3
Hollins's funeral is an event that highlights the way Rafe Hollins lived his life while he was alive. First, create a list of characters that were present at Hollins's funeral. Then, describe the general mood of the funeral. Was it as somber and respectful as one might expect from a funeral? Finally, describe the ceremony in which Hollins's family scattered his ashes. What did this event signify about the relationship between Hollins and his family?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)