|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in command of the Ford's abduction?
2. Which of the following symptoms does not affect Zacul as he is fighting against the poisons in his system?
3. How are Tomlinson and Ford transported to Zacul's prison camp?
4. Which of the following characters confronts Ford about his relationship with Dr. Braun-Richards?
5. What does Ford search the land surrounding the prison camp for, hoping to extract some poison from it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What condition is Jake Hollins in when Ford finally finds him?
2. How does the judge in Sandy Key treat Ford when he hears Ford is searching for Jake Hollins?
3. What type of documentation does Ford bring with him to Costa Rica?
4. What happens when a mortar explodes near the dock where Zacul has docked his boat?
5. How does Zacul react when he sees that many of his guards are falling ill?
6. Who is Wendy Stafford?
7. Why does General Suarez burst into Ford's hotel room in Masagua?
8. What type of studying does Tomlinson do in preparation for his meeting with Zacul?
9. What relationship does Ford have with Durell?
10. How does Tomlinson prove his dedication to Ford while staying at General Riviera's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ford has been close to General Riviera. First, explain how these two men met. Over what activities did they bond? Then, explain how General Riviera feels about Ford's search for Jake Hollins and how he aided Ford in his quest. Be sure to include at least two specific scenes from the novel that you think support your argument to the relationship between Ford and General Riviera.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Ford calls on old friendships that stretch back even to high school in order to create a network of people that can feed him information when needed. First, create a list of characters Ford calls on from his past to help in his investigation into Jake's disappearance. Then, choose one relationship from Ford's past that proves to be particularly valuable in his investigation. Do you think Ford's investigation would have been a success without this character's help? Be sure to cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
At the opening of the novel, Ford is speeding away through an underground tunnel from the Presidential Palace in Masagua. First, explain what Ford was doing in the Presidential Palace to begin with. Then, explain how Ford used his cunning and wit to escape, undetected from danger. Finally, explain how these events, which take place in the prologue, spin the action of the entire novel into motion.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)