|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Costa Rican city do Tomlinson and Ford fly into on their first day searching for Jake Hollins?
2. Which of the following continents has Tomlinson not traveled to in his lifetime?
3. What reason does Ford give his interrogators as to why he is in Masagua?
4. Who does Jake Hollins stay with after being returned to America?
5. What does Ford hit Hollins in the face with as he exits Jessica's house?
Essay Topic 1
As a biologist, Ford has an interesting relation with fish. First, explain how Ford treats wildlife when he is out on his boat fishing. What does Ford's relationship with the wild tell the reader about his character? Then, compare Ford's treatment of wild fish to his relationship with domestic fish. What is the same about these relationships? What is different? Is there anything surprising in this comparison?
Essay Topic 2
Although Jake Hollins is relatively absent from the pages of the novel as a whole, he could be considered one of the most important characters in the story. First, describe Jake Hollins and his relationship with Ford. Do you think Jake should be considered one of the most important characters in the novel? Choose at least two specific scenes from the novel to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Zacul is a dangerous character interested in preserving only one thing: himself. First, describe Zacul physically. According to the text, what conclusions can one make about Zacul's character simply by looking at him? Are these conclusions usually true? Be sure to choose at least two scenes from the novel that exemplify Zacul's character and describe them, strengthening your argument.
This section contains 1,447 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)