|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city does Zacul try to escape to when he realizes that Ford is after Jake?
2. What type of animal lives in swarms around Riviera's house?
3. Which of the following characters accuses Ford of being a member of the CIA?
4. At what time of day does the interrogation of Tomlinson and Ford finally end?
5. What sound does Ford hear in the distance as he is trying to give medical attention to Zacul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first thing Ford sees when he wakes up from his blackout?
2. What happens to Tomlinson when he is separated from Ford in Masagua?
3. How does General Riviera react to the true reason as to why Ford is in Masagua?
4. How does the judge in Sandy Key treat Ford when he hears Ford is searching for Jake Hollins?
5. What is God's Eye Lake?
6. What do Ford and Tomlinson discuss when they are in the prisoner truck headed to the camp?
7. How does Jessica react when she hears about Ford and Dr. Braun-Richards?
8. How does Zacul react when he sees that many of his guards are falling ill?
9. What happens when a mortar explodes near the dock where Zacul has docked his boat?
10. What is Ford's reaction to Hollins's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The area called God's Eye Lake is one that is important to the investigation into Jake's disappearance as well as for the terrorists who run rampant in Masagua. First, describe the setting of God's Eye Lake. What makes this place significant in Mayan culture? Then, explain how the setting of the lake functions within the group Zacul leads. How does this place become an important setting in the search for Jake Hollins?
Essay Topic 2
Although Jake Hollins is relatively absent from the pages of the novel as a whole, he could be considered one of the most important characters in the story. First, describe Jake Hollins and his relationship with Ford. Do you think Jake should be considered one of the most important characters in the novel? Choose at least two specific scenes from the novel to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
When Jake Hollins is kidnapped his parents react very differently to the terrible news. First, describe Rafe Hollins's reaction to the news that his son is missing. Then, compare that to Helen Hollins' reaction. How do both of the parents treat Ford during his investigation into their son's disappearance? Based on these reactions, do you think Jake Hollins has any hope of living in a happy family upon his return?
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)