|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who follows Ford when he drives away from Helen Hollins's house, warning him to stay away from Sandy Key?
2. What type of Indian is Creno?
3. Which of the following precious gems erupts from the water when Zacul's boat explodes?
4. What is the name of the massive aristocratic house with wrought iron fences?
5. Who used to bring Ford sharks-teeth when he was living in Tambor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of documentation does Ford bring with him to Costa Rica?
2. What reason does Ford give to Zacul as to why he is in Masagua?
3. Who is Wendy Stafford?
4. How was Ford saved during the fight at Zacul's camp?
5. How does Zacul react when he sees that many of his guards are falling ill?
6. What sound does Ford hear in the distance while he is inside Zacul's tent?
7. What happens when a mortar explodes near the dock where Zacul has docked his boat?
8. How does Helen, Hollins's ex-wife, treat Ford when he arrives at her doorstep?
9. How does Tomlinson prove his dedication to Ford while staying at General Riviera's?
10. Why does General Suarez burst into Ford's hotel room in Masagua?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The town of Sanibel, Florida is often overrun with tourists. First, describe the town of Sanibel and explain why tourists want to come. Then, describe Ford's relationship with the tourists. How does he treat them? Give examples of at least two specific scenes in the novel that you believe exemplify Ford's relationship with the tourists.
Essay Topic 2
Zacul is a dangerous character interested in preserving only one thing: himself. First, describe Zacul physically. According to the text, what conclusions can one make about Zacul's character simply by looking at him? Are these conclusions usually true? Be sure to choose at least two scenes from the novel that exemplify Zacul's character and describe them, strengthening your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Jessica McClure proves to be an important emotional catalyst for Ford in the novel. First, describe the relationship Jessica and Ford have at the opening of the novel. Then, compare the relationship Jessica has with Ford to the relationship Jessica has with Benny. How does this love-triangle lead to one of the biggest betrayals Ford has ever experienced?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)