|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters accuses Ford of being a member of the CIA?
2. Who is in charge of transporting Hollins's ashes?
3. Which of the following statement is not true about Jake Hollins's condition when he is found?
4. What city does Zacul try to escape to when he realizes that Ford is after Jake?
5. What color is the vase Hollins's ashes are stored in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does General Juan Riviera greet Ford when he arrives in Masagua?
2. What type of documentation does Ford bring with him to Costa Rica?
3. What celebratory meal does Ford prepare for Zacul on his first night in the prison?
4. What type of studying does Tomlinson do in preparation for his meeting with Zacul?
5. What reason does Ford give to Zacul as to why he is in Masagua?
6. How does the judge in Sandy Key treat Ford when he hears Ford is searching for Jake Hollins?
7. What is the first thing Ford sees when he wakes up from his blackout?
8. What happens when a mortar explodes near the dock where Zacul has docked his boat?
9. What is Ford's reaction to Hollins's funeral?
10. How and why does Ford test Tomlinson's honesty while they are traveling through Costa Rica?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hollins's rocky relationship and divorce from his ex-wife proved to be a turning point in his life. First, describe the relationship Hollins had with his ex-wife and what events led to their divorce. Then, explain how the series of events directly stemming from the divorce led to the ultimate kidnapping of their son.
Essay Topic 2
Ford has been close to General Riviera. First, explain how these two men met. Over what activities did they bond? Then, explain how General Riviera feels about Ford's search for Jake Hollins and how he aided Ford in his quest. Be sure to include at least two specific scenes from the novel that you think support your argument to the relationship between Ford and General Riviera.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of their lives, Hollins's relationship with Ford has changed greatly. First, describe what Hollins and Ford's friendship was like in high school. Then, compare that to the relationship they had when Hollins first called asking for Ford's help. Finally, describe the state of the friendship between Hollins and Ford at the end of the novel.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)