|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first person Ford sees after waking from his blackout?
2. Who pulled Ford out of the water, saving his life?
3. What is the name of the company Mario DeArmond sells product for?
4. Who used to bring Ford sharks-teeth when he was living in Tambor?
5. How does Helen Hollins react when Ford shows up at her doorstep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Tomlinson when he is separated from Ford in Masagua?
2. What relationship does Ford have with Durell?
3. How does General Riviera react to the true reason as to why Ford is in Masagua?
4. How does Zacul react when he sees that many of his guards are falling ill?
5. What type of documentation does Ford bring with him to Costa Rica?
6. Who is Wendy Stafford?
7. What is the first thing Ford sees when he wakes up from his blackout?
8. What type of studying does Tomlinson do in preparation for his meeting with Zacul?
9. What happens when a mortar explodes near the dock where Zacul has docked his boat?
10. How does General Juan Riviera greet Ford when he arrives in Masagua?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zacul is a dangerous character interested in preserving only one thing: himself. First, describe Zacul physically. According to the text, what conclusions can one make about Zacul's character simply by looking at him? Are these conclusions usually true? Be sure to choose at least two scenes from the novel that exemplify Zacul's character and describe them, strengthening your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Ford has to manipulate many people in order to get information he wants. Choose one scene in which Ford uses manipulation to get ahead. Who does he manipulate? Why? Then, compare this scene of manipulation with another scene of manipulation. Is Ford always successful in his manipulations? Where did he learn this skill?
Essay Topic 3
Although Jake Hollins is relatively absent from the pages of the novel as a whole, he could be considered one of the most important characters in the story. First, describe Jake Hollins and his relationship with Ford. Do you think Jake should be considered one of the most important characters in the novel? Choose at least two specific scenes from the novel to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)