|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sound does Ford hear when he wakes up from his blackout after his visit with Pilar?
2. How many people show up for Hollins's funeral?
3. What sound does Ford hear in the distance as he is trying to give medical attention to Zacul?
4. How old is Julius Zacul?
5. What city does Zacul try to escape to when he realizes that Ford is after Jake?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sound does Ford hear in the distance while he is inside Zacul's tent?
2. What happens to Tomlinson when he is separated from Ford in Masagua?
3. What is God's Eye Lake?
4. What confessions does Pilar make to Ford when she sees him after the fight?
5. How does General Juan Riviera greet Ford when he arrives in Masagua?
6. How does General Riviera react to the true reason as to why Ford is in Masagua?
7. What relationship does Ford have with Durell?
8. What reason does Ford give to Zacul as to why he is in Masagua?
9. How and why does Ford test Tomlinson's honesty while they are traveling through Costa Rica?
10. What do Ford and Tomlinson discuss when they are in the prisoner truck headed to the camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hollins's rocky relationship and divorce from his ex-wife proved to be a turning point in his life. First, describe the relationship Hollins had with his ex-wife and what events led to their divorce. Then, explain how the series of events directly stemming from the divorce led to the ultimate kidnapping of their son.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Ford has to manipulate many people in order to get information he wants. Choose one scene in which Ford uses manipulation to get ahead. Who does he manipulate? Why? Then, compare this scene of manipulation with another scene of manipulation. Is Ford always successful in his manipulations? Where did he learn this skill?
Essay Topic 3
The town of Sanibel, Florida is often overrun with tourists. First, describe the town of Sanibel and explain why tourists want to come. Then, describe Ford's relationship with the tourists. How does he treat them? Give examples of at least two specific scenes in the novel that you believe exemplify Ford's relationship with the tourists.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)