|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What overwhelming emotion does Tomlinson feel after his interrogation?
2. Which of the following precious gems erupts from the water when Zacul's boat explodes?
3. What does Wendy Stafford do for a living?
4. What is the name of Hollins's older brother?
5. What is the name of the song the three-piece jazz band plays at the bar Ford visits with Wendy Stafford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship does Ford have with Durell?
2. What type of documentation does Ford bring with him to Costa Rica?
3. What reason does Ford give to Zacul as to why he is in Masagua?
4. Why are Zacul's prison camps so full?
5. How does Helen, Hollins's ex-wife, treat Ford when he arrives at her doorstep?
6. How does Tomlinson prove his dedication to Ford while staying at General Riviera's?
7. What do Ford and Tomlinson discuss when they are in the prisoner truck headed to the camp?
8. How does Zacul react when he sees that many of his guards are falling ill?
9. What sound does Ford hear in the distance while he is inside Zacul's tent?
10. How does General Juan Riviera greet Ford when he arrives in Masagua?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the novel, Ford is speeding away through an underground tunnel from the Presidential Palace in Masagua. First, explain what Ford was doing in the Presidential Palace to begin with. Then, explain how Ford used his cunning and wit to escape, undetected from danger. Finally, explain how these events, which take place in the prologue, spin the action of the entire novel into motion.
Essay Topic 2
Although Jake Hollins is relatively absent from the pages of the novel as a whole, he could be considered one of the most important characters in the story. First, describe Jake Hollins and his relationship with Ford. Do you think Jake should be considered one of the most important characters in the novel? Choose at least two specific scenes from the novel to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Ford juggles romantic relationships with three women: Pilar, Jessica, and Sheri. First, describe Ford's relationship with each of these three women. How did they meet? Then, explain which woman you believe is the best romantic fit for Ford and why.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)