|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Ford and Tomlinson travel from Riviera's home to Masagua?
2. At what time of day does the interrogation of Tomlinson and Ford finally end?
3. How does Helen Hollins react when Ford shows up at her doorstep?
4. Who pulled Ford out of the water, saving his life?
5. Where does Hollins's family request to have Hollins's ashes scattered?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of documentation does Ford bring with him to Costa Rica?
2. What type of studying does Tomlinson do in preparation for his meeting with Zacul?
3. What condition is Jake Hollins in when Ford finally finds him?
4. What do Ford and Tomlinson discuss when they are in the prisoner truck headed to the camp?
5. What happens when a mortar explodes near the dock where Zacul has docked his boat?
6. Who is Wendy Stafford?
7. Why does General Suarez burst into Ford's hotel room in Masagua?
8. What celebratory meal does Ford prepare for Zacul on his first night in the prison?
9. What is God's Eye Lake?
10. What is the first thing Ford sees when he wakes up from his blackout?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Jake Hollins is relatively absent from the pages of the novel as a whole, he could be considered one of the most important characters in the story. First, describe Jake Hollins and his relationship with Ford. Do you think Jake should be considered one of the most important characters in the novel? Choose at least two specific scenes from the novel to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
The people of Masagua have an interesting history. First, describe the history that is recorded in the Kin Qux Cho. Who is allowed access to this history? Then, explain how the history of the Masagua people directly affects the plot of the novel and the life of young Jake Hollins. Be sure to cite at least two specific examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
When Jake Hollins is kidnapped his parents react very differently to the terrible news. First, describe Rafe Hollins's reaction to the news that his son is missing. Then, compare that to Helen Hollins' reaction. How do both of the parents treat Ford during his investigation into their son's disappearance? Based on these reactions, do you think Jake Hollins has any hope of living in a happy family upon his return?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)