|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jake Hollins stay with after being returned to America?
2. What does Rivera call Tomlinson based on his first impression of Ford's traveling partner?
3. Which of the following statements does not describe Zacul in Ford's first impression of him?
4. Which of the following precious gems erupts from the water when Zacul's boat explodes?
5. What sound does Ford hear in the distance as he is trying to give medical attention to Zacul?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ford goes to Jessica's to visit with her after returning home from Masagua?
2. Why does General Suarez burst into Ford's hotel room in Masagua?
3. What happens to Tomlinson when he is separated from Ford in Masagua?
4. What condition is Jake Hollins in when Ford finally finds him?
5. What do Ford and Tomlinson discuss when they are in the prisoner truck headed to the camp?
6. What type of studying does Tomlinson do in preparation for his meeting with Zacul?
7. How does General Riviera react to the true reason as to why Ford is in Masagua?
8. What reason does Ford give to Zacul as to why he is in Masagua?
9. How does Jessica react when she hears about Ford and Dr. Braun-Richards?
10. Why are Zacul's prison camps so full?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ford becomes increasingly disturbed to learn the details surrounding Hollins's death. First, describe the scene Ford happened across when he found Hollins's body. Then, explain what details led Ford to believe that Hollins was murdered. Finally, explain how Ford discovers the truth about Hollins's death and describe his reaction to that news.
Essay Topic 2
Hollins's rocky relationship and divorce from his ex-wife proved to be a turning point in his life. First, describe the relationship Hollins had with his ex-wife and what events led to their divorce. Then, explain how the series of events directly stemming from the divorce led to the ultimate kidnapping of their son.
Essay Topic 3
The affair Ford has with Pilar is one of the turning points in his life. First, describe how Ford and Pilar met. Why was their relationship doomed from the start? Then, explain how the two supported and loved each other throughout the novel, even when they were physically apart. Finally, describe how the relationship between Pilar and Ford ends and why.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)