|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Riviera react when Ford asks him for help tracking down Zacul?
2. What Costa Rican city do Tomlinson and Ford fly into on their first day searching for Jake Hollins?
3. What is the name of the group of rebel soldiers in Masagua?
4. What is the name of the drug dealer Bernstein believes has Jake Hollins?
5. What color is the vase Hollins's ashes are stored in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What relationship does Ford have with Durell?
2. How and why does Ford test Tomlinson's honesty while they are traveling through Costa Rica?
3. What happens when Ford goes to Jessica's to visit with her after returning home from Masagua?
4. How does Helen, Hollins's ex-wife, treat Ford when he arrives at her doorstep?
5. How does General Juan Riviera greet Ford when he arrives in Masagua?
6. What do Ford and Tomlinson discuss when they are in the prisoner truck headed to the camp?
7. How does Jessica react when she hears about Ford and Dr. Braun-Richards?
8. What happens when a mortar explodes near the dock where Zacul has docked his boat?
9. What type of documentation does Ford bring with him to Costa Rica?
10. What sound does Ford hear in the distance while he is inside Zacul's tent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jessica McClure proves to be an important emotional catalyst for Ford in the novel. First, describe the relationship Jessica and Ford have at the opening of the novel. Then, compare the relationship Jessica has with Ford to the relationship Jessica has with Benny. How does this love-triangle lead to one of the biggest betrayals Ford has ever experienced?
Essay Topic 2
Although Jake Hollins is relatively absent from the pages of the novel as a whole, he could be considered one of the most important characters in the story. First, describe Jake Hollins and his relationship with Ford. Do you think Jake should be considered one of the most important characters in the novel? Choose at least two specific scenes from the novel to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Ford has been close to General Riviera. First, explain how these two men met. Over what activities did they bond? Then, explain how General Riviera feels about Ford's search for Jake Hollins and how he aided Ford in his quest. Be sure to include at least two specific scenes from the novel that you think support your argument to the relationship between Ford and General Riviera.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)