|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Zacul's private chef?
2. What type of car does Ford drive?
3. What is the maximum number of beers Ford will drink in one day?
4. What does Ford use to build a small fort, hoping to attract Jake's attention?
5. What does Tomlinson call Ford as a nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What sound does Ford hear in the distance while he is inside Zacul's tent?
2. What is Ford's reaction to Hollins's funeral?
3. Why are Zacul's prison camps so full?
4. How does Zacul react when he sees that many of his guards are falling ill?
5. What type of studying does Tomlinson do in preparation for his meeting with Zacul?
6. What happens to Tomlinson when he is separated from Ford in Masagua?
7. Who is Wendy Stafford?
8. What is God's Eye Lake?
9. How does Tomlinson prove his dedication to Ford while staying at General Riviera's?
10. Why does Ford spend an evening searching for frogs in Zacul's prison camp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The area called God's Eye Lake is one that is important to the investigation into Jake's disappearance as well as for the terrorists who run rampant in Masagua. First, describe the setting of God's Eye Lake. What makes this place significant in Mayan culture? Then, explain how the setting of the lake functions within the group Zacul leads. How does this place become an important setting in the search for Jake Hollins?
Essay Topic 2
The affair Ford has with Pilar is one of the turning points in his life. First, describe how Ford and Pilar met. Why was their relationship doomed from the start? Then, explain how the two supported and loved each other throughout the novel, even when they were physically apart. Finally, describe how the relationship between Pilar and Ford ends and why.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Ford has to manipulate many people in order to get information he wants. Choose one scene in which Ford uses manipulation to get ahead. Who does he manipulate? Why? Then, compare this scene of manipulation with another scene of manipulation. Is Ford always successful in his manipulations? Where did he learn this skill?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)