|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following crimes did most of the men in the prison camp commit leading to their incarcerations?
2. What sound is overwhelming in Ford's ears as he is speaking with Riviera about Zacul?
3. Who follows Ford when he drives away from Helen Hollins's house, warning him to stay away from Sandy Key?
4. Who pulled Ford out of the water, saving his life?
5. Who gives Ford a run-down of the histories of each of Zacul's prisoners?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Ford goes to Jessica's to visit with her after returning home from Masagua?
2. What celebratory meal does Ford prepare for Zacul on his first night in the prison?
3. How does Helen, Hollins's ex-wife, treat Ford when he arrives at her doorstep?
4. What happens to Tomlinson when he is separated from Ford in Masagua?
5. What confessions does Pilar make to Ford when she sees him after the fight?
6. How was Ford saved during the fight at Zacul's camp?
7. How does the judge in Sandy Key treat Ford when he hears Ford is searching for Jake Hollins?
8. What is the first thing Ford sees when he wakes up from his blackout?
9. How does General Riviera react to the true reason as to why Ford is in Masagua?
10. How does Zacul react when he sees that many of his guards are falling ill?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hollins's rocky relationship and divorce from his ex-wife proved to be a turning point in his life. First, describe the relationship Hollins had with his ex-wife and what events led to their divorce. Then, explain how the series of events directly stemming from the divorce led to the ultimate kidnapping of their son.
Essay Topic 2
The Masaguan government goes through a varied, violent change due to the two opposing political values of the President and his wife. First, describe the President's political values. Then, compare those values to his wife's values. What conflicts arise from these opposing political values? At the end of the novel, which of the two political powers is successful and how did they finally come to power in the Masaguan nation?
Essay Topic 3
When Jake Hollins is kidnapped his parents react very differently to the terrible news. First, describe Rafe Hollins's reaction to the news that his son is missing. Then, compare that to Helen Hollins' reaction. How do both of the parents treat Ford during his investigation into their son's disappearance? Based on these reactions, do you think Jake Hollins has any hope of living in a happy family upon his return?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)