|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the tassels the police wear in Masagua?
2. What type of bird does Ford see in the sky that reminds him of his friend, Hollins?
3. What does Ford ship to science classrooms for his business?
4. What language does the old man outside the Presidential Palace speak?
5. Which of the following artifacts does Ford not keep in his study?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the old man outside the Presidential Palace treat Ford when he sees him emerge?
2. What does Ford do with Hollins's belongings after his death?
3. What package is waiting for Ford at the American Embassy the day after he leaves the Presidential Palace?
4. Who is Jessica McClure?
5. How did Hollins treat Ford when they met years earlier in South America?
6. Why does Ford get into a fight with an out-of-state salesman?
7. Who is Donal Pio Cheng?
8. Who is Tomlinson?
9. How does President Don Jorge Balserio die?
10. What are the after-effects of the fight with the salesman on Ford's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The town of Sanibel, Florida is often overrun with tourists. First, describe the town of Sanibel and explain why tourists want to come. Then, describe Ford's relationship with the tourists. How does he treat them? Give examples of at least two specific scenes in the novel that you believe exemplify Ford's relationship with the tourists.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Ford calls on old friendships that stretch back even to high school in order to create a network of people that can feed him information when needed. First, create a list of characters Ford calls on from his past to help in his investigation into Jake's disappearance. Then, choose one relationship from Ford's past that proves to be particularly valuable in his investigation. Do you think Ford's investigation would have been a success without this character's help? Be sure to cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The affair Ford has with Pilar is one of the turning points in his life. First, describe how Ford and Pilar met. Why was their relationship doomed from the start? Then, explain how the two supported and loved each other throughout the novel, even when they were physically apart. Finally, describe how the relationship between Pilar and Ford ends and why.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)