|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following insects is considered to be the biggest nuisance in Sanibel?
2. What language does the old man outside the Presidential Palace speak?
3. Which of the following artifacts does Ford not keep in his study?
4. What type of wine does Jessica serve Ford on the first night they make love?
5. Where did Balserio send PIlar when he heard she was in love with Ford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of relationship does Ford have with Sally Field?
2. What is the Kin Qux Cho?
3. What major argument did President Don Jorge Balserio have with his wife for the entirety of their marriage?
4. How does Dr. Marion Ford emerge from the Presidential Palace at the opening of the novel?
5. Who is Jessica McClure?
6. Who is Bernstein and how does Ford convince Bernstein to partner with him?
7. How does Ford react to the partying the doctors are doing on the other side of the water?
8. What package is waiting for Ford at the American Embassy the day after he leaves the Presidential Palace?
9. What surprise is waiting for Ford when he arrives home after having sex with Jessica for the first time?
10. What does Ford do with Hollins's belongings after his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zacul is a dangerous character interested in preserving only one thing: himself. First, describe Zacul physically. According to the text, what conclusions can one make about Zacul's character simply by looking at him? Are these conclusions usually true? Be sure to choose at least two scenes from the novel that exemplify Zacul's character and describe them, strengthening your argument.
Essay Topic 2
The affair Ford has with Pilar is one of the turning points in his life. First, describe how Ford and Pilar met. Why was their relationship doomed from the start? Then, explain how the two supported and loved each other throughout the novel, even when they were physically apart. Finally, describe how the relationship between Pilar and Ford ends and why.
Essay Topic 3
Jessica McClure proves to be an important emotional catalyst for Ford in the novel. First, describe the relationship Jessica and Ford have at the opening of the novel. Then, compare the relationship Jessica has with Ford to the relationship Jessica has with Benny. How does this love-triangle lead to one of the biggest betrayals Ford has ever experienced?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)