|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does the old man outside the Presidential Palace speak?
2. What color is a tarpon?
3. What did Tomlinson get his college degree in?
4. What is Major Durell's first name?
5. What is the name of the boss man who publicly humiliates Jethro at the marina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What package is waiting for Ford at the American Embassy the day after he leaves the Presidential Palace?
2. What request does Rafe Hollins make to Ford when he calls him for the first time in years?
3. How does Ford react when he reads Hollins's obituary in the newspaper?
4. How did Hollins treat Ford when they met years earlier in South America?
5. What clues does Ford search for in Tequesta after discovering Hollins's body?
6. How does Ford know the status of Jessica's relationship with Benny?
7. What was Rafe Hollins's final year of marriage like before his divorce?
8. How does Dr. Marion Ford emerge from the Presidential Palace at the opening of the novel?
9. What does Ford do with Hollins's belongings after his death?
10. At the opening of the novel, what type of party is sweeping through Sanibel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people of Masagua have an interesting history. First, describe the history that is recorded in the Kin Qux Cho. Who is allowed access to this history? Then, explain how the history of the Masagua people directly affects the plot of the novel and the life of young Jake Hollins. Be sure to cite at least two specific examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of their lives, Hollins's relationship with Ford has changed greatly. First, describe what Hollins and Ford's friendship was like in high school. Then, compare that to the relationship they had when Hollins first called asking for Ford's help. Finally, describe the state of the friendship between Hollins and Ford at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Ford has been close to General Riviera. First, explain how these two men met. Over what activities did they bond? Then, explain how General Riviera feels about Ford's search for Jake Hollins and how he aided Ford in his quest. Be sure to include at least two specific scenes from the novel that you think support your argument to the relationship between Ford and General Riviera.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)