|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color are the tassels the police wear in Masagua?
2. How does Ford hear about Masagua President Don Jorge Balserio's death?
3. Which of the following insects is considered to be the biggest nuisance in Sanibel?
4. What does Ford ship to science classrooms for his business?
5. Which of the following facts is not true about Donald Cheng?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford know the status of Jessica's relationship with Benny?
2. How did Hollins treat Ford when they met years earlier in South America?
3. What was Rafe Hollins's final year of marriage like before his divorce?
4. What package is waiting for Ford at the American Embassy the day after he leaves the Presidential Palace?
5. Who is Donal Pio Cheng?
6. What clues does Ford search for in Tequesta after discovering Hollins's body?
7. What request does Rafe Hollins make to Ford when he calls him for the first time in years?
8. What does Ford do with Hollins's belongings after his death?
9. How does the old man outside the Presidential Palace treat Ford when he sees him emerge?
10. What type of relationship does Ford have with Sally Field?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jake Hollins is kidnapped his parents react very differently to the terrible news. First, describe Rafe Hollins's reaction to the news that his son is missing. Then, compare that to Helen Hollins' reaction. How do both of the parents treat Ford during his investigation into their son's disappearance? Based on these reactions, do you think Jake Hollins has any hope of living in a happy family upon his return?
Essay Topic 2
Zacul is a dangerous character interested in preserving only one thing: himself. First, describe Zacul physically. According to the text, what conclusions can one make about Zacul's character simply by looking at him? Are these conclusions usually true? Be sure to choose at least two scenes from the novel that exemplify Zacul's character and describe them, strengthening your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The affair Ford has with Pilar is one of the turning points in his life. First, describe how Ford and Pilar met. Why was their relationship doomed from the start? Then, explain how the two supported and loved each other throughout the novel, even when they were physically apart. Finally, describe how the relationship between Pilar and Ford ends and why.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)