|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of doctor is Dr. Sheri Braun-Richards?
2. What did Rafe Hollins do for a living before he died?
3. What color are the tassels the police wear in Masagua?
4. How many executives does the boss man bring with him on the fishing trip in Sanibel?
5. What is the name of Jessica's ex-boyfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ford get into a fight with an out-of-state salesman?
2. What is the Kin Qux Cho?
3. How does Ford react when he reads Hollins's obituary in the newspaper?
4. At the opening of the novel, what type of party is sweeping through Sanibel?
5. Who is Jessica McClure?
6. What surprise is waiting for Ford when he arrives home after having sex with Jessica for the first time?
7. What type of relationship does Ford have with Jethro Nicholes?
8. What is the Sealife Corporation?
9. What was Rafe Hollins's final year of marriage like before his divorce?
10. Who is Donal Pio Cheng?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The town of Sanibel, Florida is often overrun with tourists. First, describe the town of Sanibel and explain why tourists want to come. Then, describe Ford's relationship with the tourists. How does he treat them? Give examples of at least two specific scenes in the novel that you believe exemplify Ford's relationship with the tourists.
Essay Topic 2
Ford becomes increasingly disturbed to learn the details surrounding Hollins's death. First, describe the scene Ford happened across when he found Hollins's body. Then, explain what details led Ford to believe that Hollins was murdered. Finally, explain how Ford discovers the truth about Hollins's death and describe his reaction to that news.
Essay Topic 3
When Jake Hollins is kidnapped his parents react very differently to the terrible news. First, describe Rafe Hollins's reaction to the news that his son is missing. Then, compare that to Helen Hollins' reaction. How do both of the parents treat Ford during his investigation into their son's disappearance? Based on these reactions, do you think Jake Hollins has any hope of living in a happy family upon his return?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)