|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ford eat for dinner the day after Hollins dies?
2. How long have Hollins and Ford known each other?
3. Besides English, what language does Ford speak?
4. What is the name of the boss man who publicly humiliates Jethro at the marina?
5. What emotion does Ford feel when he thinks about his friend, Hollins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Ford give to Zacul as to why he is in Masagua?
2. How does Zacul react when he sees that many of his guards are falling ill?
3. What type of relationship does Ford have with Jethro Nicholes?
4. What reason does Jessica give Ford as to why she betrayed him?
5. What confessions does Pilar make to Ford when she sees him after the fight?
6. Who is Donal Pio Cheng?
7. How does Ford react to the partying the doctors are doing on the other side of the water?
8. How does General Riviera react to the true reason as to why Ford is in Masagua?
9. What celebratory meal does Ford prepare for Zacul on his first night in the prison?
10. How was Ford saved during the fight at Zacul's camp?
Essay Topic 1
As a biologist, Ford has an interesting relation with fish. First, explain how Ford treats wildlife when he is out on his boat fishing. What does Ford's relationship with the wild tell the reader about his character? Then, compare Ford's treatment of wild fish to his relationship with domestic fish. What is the same about these relationships? What is different? Is there anything surprising in this comparison?
Essay Topic 2
Although Jake Hollins is relatively absent from the pages of the novel as a whole, he could be considered one of the most important characters in the story. First, describe Jake Hollins and his relationship with Ford. Do you think Jake should be considered one of the most important characters in the novel? Choose at least two specific scenes from the novel to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Ford becomes increasingly disturbed to learn the details surrounding Hollins's death. First, describe the scene Ford happened across when he found Hollins's body. Then, explain what details led Ford to believe that Hollins was murdered. Finally, explain how Ford discovers the truth about Hollins's death and describe his reaction to that news.
This section contains 2,076 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)