|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does the old man outside the Presidential Palace speak?
2. How does Dr. Marion Ford exit the Presidential Palace in the prologue of the novel?
3. What neighborhood in Manhattan did Jessica live and work in during her time in the city?
4. Which of the following things did Hollins not ask Ford for when they ran into each other in Central America?
5. What is the name of the Masaguan Lake Ford knows of that is infested with aggressive freshwater sharks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jessica McClure?
2. Who is Donal Pio Cheng?
3. How does Ford know the status of Jessica's relationship with Benny?
4. Who is Bernstein and how does Ford convince Bernstein to partner with him?
5. What request does Rafe Hollins make to Ford when he calls him for the first time in years?
6. How does Jessica know Rafe Hollins?
7. How does Ford react when he reads Hollins's obituary in the newspaper?
8. What reason does Hollins give Ford as to why he believes his son was kidnapped?
9. How does Dr. Marion Ford emerge from the Presidential Palace at the opening of the novel?
10. What type of relationship does Ford have with Jethro Nicholes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the course of their lives, Hollins's relationship with Ford has changed greatly. First, describe what Hollins and Ford's friendship was like in high school. Then, compare that to the relationship they had when Hollins first called asking for Ford's help. Finally, describe the state of the friendship between Hollins and Ford at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 2
The people of Masagua have an interesting history. First, describe the history that is recorded in the Kin Qux Cho. Who is allowed access to this history? Then, explain how the history of the Masagua people directly affects the plot of the novel and the life of young Jake Hollins. Be sure to cite at least two specific examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Ford becomes increasingly disturbed to learn the details surrounding Hollins's death. First, describe the scene Ford happened across when he found Hollins's body. Then, explain what details led Ford to believe that Hollins was murdered. Finally, explain how Ford discovers the truth about Hollins's death and describe his reaction to that news.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)