|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what century was the Presidential Palace built?
2. What type of music does Jessica enjoy listening to?
3. What type of wine does Jessica serve Ford on the first night they make love?
4. What did Tomlinson get his college degree in?
5. Who was Hollins's ex-wife having an affair with during their divorce trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jessica know Rafe Hollins?
2. What clues does Ford search for in Tequesta after discovering Hollins's body?
3. How does Ford react to the partying the doctors are doing on the other side of the water?
4. At the opening of the novel, what type of party is sweeping through Sanibel?
5. What deal does Ford make with the old man outside the Presidential Palace?
6. How does President Don Jorge Balserio die?
7. What package is waiting for Ford at the American Embassy the day after he leaves the Presidential Palace?
8. How does Dr. Marion Ford emerge from the Presidential Palace at the opening of the novel?
9. What type of relationship does Ford have with Jethro Nicholes?
10. How does Ford react when he reads Hollins's obituary in the newspaper?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Ford has to manipulate many people in order to get information he wants. Choose one scene in which Ford uses manipulation to get ahead. Who does he manipulate? Why? Then, compare this scene of manipulation with another scene of manipulation. Is Ford always successful in his manipulations? Where did he learn this skill?
Essay Topic 2
Hollins's funeral is an event that highlights the way Rafe Hollins lived his life while he was alive. First, create a list of characters that were present at Hollins's funeral. Then, describe the general mood of the funeral. Was it as somber and respectful as one might expect from a funeral? Finally, describe the ceremony in which Hollins's family scattered his ashes. What did this event signify about the relationship between Hollins and his family?
Essay Topic 3
Zacul is a dangerous character interested in preserving only one thing: himself. First, describe Zacul physically. According to the text, what conclusions can one make about Zacul's character simply by looking at him? Are these conclusions usually true? Be sure to choose at least two scenes from the novel that exemplify Zacul's character and describe them, strengthening your argument.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)