|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What neighborhood in Manhattan did Jessica live and work in during her time in the city?
2. What type of fish does Jethro take the out-of-state businessmen to catch aboard his ship?
3. How does Masagua President Don Jorge Balserio die?
4. Which of the following awards was Hollins awarded for his baseball career in high school?
5. What does Ford purchase from the old man outside the Presidential Palace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does Hollins give Ford as to why he believes his son was kidnapped?
2. Who is Jessica McClure?
3. What does Ford do with Hollins's belongings after his death?
4. How does President Don Jorge Balserio die?
5. How does Ford know the status of Jessica's relationship with Benny?
6. How does the old man outside the Presidential Palace treat Ford when he sees him emerge?
7. What are the after-effects of the fight with the salesman on Ford's body?
8. What type of relationship does Ford have with Sally Field?
9. Who is Tomlinson?
10. How does Jessica know Rafe Hollins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Ford has to manipulate many people in order to get information he wants. Choose one scene in which Ford uses manipulation to get ahead. Who does he manipulate? Why? Then, compare this scene of manipulation with another scene of manipulation. Is Ford always successful in his manipulations? Where did he learn this skill?
Essay Topic 2
As a biologist, Ford has an interesting relation with fish. First, explain how Ford treats wildlife when he is out on his boat fishing. What does Ford's relationship with the wild tell the reader about his character? Then, compare Ford's treatment of wild fish to his relationship with domestic fish. What is the same about these relationships? What is different? Is there anything surprising in this comparison?
Essay Topic 3
Jessica McClure proves to be an important emotional catalyst for Ford in the novel. First, describe the relationship Jessica and Ford have at the opening of the novel. Then, compare the relationship Jessica has with Ford to the relationship Jessica has with Benny. How does this love-triangle lead to one of the biggest betrayals Ford has ever experienced?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)