|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have Hollins and Ford known each other?
2. Which of the following individuals does Ford not request a background check of from the Operations Data Board of National Security Affairs?
3. In what century was the Presidential Palace built?
4. Which of the following items is not one of the only three items Ford has left in his refrigerator when Dr. Braun-Richards arrives?
5. What type of house pet does Jessica keep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Bernstein and how does Ford convince Bernstein to partner with him?
2. How does General Riviera react to the true reason as to why Ford is in Masagua?
3. Why does General Suarez burst into Ford's hotel room in Masagua?
4. What package is waiting for Ford at the American Embassy the day after he leaves the Presidential Palace?
5. What celebratory meal does Ford prepare for Zacul on his first night in the prison?
6. Why does Ford get into a fight with an out-of-state salesman?
7. How does President Don Jorge Balserio die?
8. Why does Ford spend an evening searching for frogs in Zacul's prison camp?
9. What reason does Ford give to Zacul as to why he is in Masagua?
10. How did Hollins treat Ford when they met years earlier in South America?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Ford has to manipulate many people in order to get information he wants. Choose one scene in which Ford uses manipulation to get ahead. Who does he manipulate? Why? Then, compare this scene of manipulation with another scene of manipulation. Is Ford always successful in his manipulations? Where did he learn this skill?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Ford calls on old friendships that stretch back even to high school in order to create a network of people that can feed him information when needed. First, create a list of characters Ford calls on from his past to help in his investigation into Jake's disappearance. Then, choose one relationship from Ford's past that proves to be particularly valuable in his investigation. Do you think Ford's investigation would have been a success without this character's help? Be sure to cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Jessica McClure proves to be an important emotional catalyst for Ford in the novel. First, describe the relationship Jessica and Ford have at the opening of the novel. Then, compare the relationship Jessica has with Ford to the relationship Jessica has with Benny. How does this love-triangle lead to one of the biggest betrayals Ford has ever experienced?
This section contains 2,064 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)