|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the names in Hollins's address book does Ford recognize?
2. According to the narrator, how much does Melsinki weigh?
3. What type of trees line the shore near the marina?
4. What does Ford eat for dinner the day after Hollins dies?
5. What is the name of the Masaguan Lake Ford knows of that is infested with aggressive freshwater sharks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jessica McClure?
2. What reason does Hollins give Ford as to why he believes his son was kidnapped?
3. What is the Kin Qux Cho?
4. How does Jessica know Rafe Hollins?
5. Who is Tomlinson?
6. What are the after-effects of the fight with the salesman on Ford's body?
7. What clues does Ford search for in Tequesta after discovering Hollins's body?
8. Who is Bernstein and how does Ford convince Bernstein to partner with him?
9. How does President Don Jorge Balserio die?
10. What type of relationship does Ford have with Sally Field?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tomlinson proves to be a character with a dichotomous personality. First, describe Tomlinson based on his physical appearance. What stereotypes do outsiders typically place on Tomlinson? Then, compare Tomlinson's external appearance to his internal appearance. Does Tomlinson's outside match his inside? How can you tell? Be sure to cite at least two specific examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
The people of Masagua have an interesting history. First, describe the history that is recorded in the Kin Qux Cho. Who is allowed access to this history? Then, explain how the history of the Masagua people directly affects the plot of the novel and the life of young Jake Hollins. Be sure to cite at least two specific examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The Masaguan government goes through a varied, violent change due to the two opposing political values of the President and his wife. First, describe the President's political values. Then, compare those values to his wife's values. What conflicts arise from these opposing political values? At the end of the novel, which of the two political powers is successful and how did they finally come to power in the Masaguan nation?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)