|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following countries is McKinley interested in and subscribes to a magazine about?
2. Which of the following ailments does Jethro suffer from?
3. How many times does Hollins call Ford before finally reaching him at the marina?
4. According to the narrator, how much does Melsinki weigh?
5. What country is Ford from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hollins treat Ford when they met years earlier in South America?
2. What type of relationship does Ford have with Sally Field?
3. At the opening of the novel, what type of party is sweeping through Sanibel?
4. What package is waiting for Ford at the American Embassy the day after he leaves the Presidential Palace?
5. How does Jessica know Rafe Hollins?
6. What deal does Ford make with the old man outside the Presidential Palace?
7. Why does Ford get into a fight with an out-of-state salesman?
8. Who is Jessica McClure?
9. Who is Donal Pio Cheng?
10. What are the after-effects of the fight with the salesman on Ford's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jessica McClure proves to be an important emotional catalyst for Ford in the novel. First, describe the relationship Jessica and Ford have at the opening of the novel. Then, compare the relationship Jessica has with Ford to the relationship Jessica has with Benny. How does this love-triangle lead to one of the biggest betrayals Ford has ever experienced?
Essay Topic 2
At the opening of the novel, Ford is speeding away through an underground tunnel from the Presidential Palace in Masagua. First, explain what Ford was doing in the Presidential Palace to begin with. Then, explain how Ford used his cunning and wit to escape, undetected from danger. Finally, explain how these events, which take place in the prologue, spin the action of the entire novel into motion.
Essay Topic 3
Ford has been close to General Riviera. First, explain how these two men met. Over what activities did they bond? Then, explain how General Riviera feels about Ford's search for Jake Hollins and how he aided Ford in his quest. Be sure to include at least two specific scenes from the novel that you think support your argument to the relationship between Ford and General Riviera.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)