|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Major Durell's first name?
2. What type of trees line the shore near the marina?
3. What county is the marina in?
4. What neighborhood in Manhattan did Jessica live and work in during her time in the city?
5. Which of the following items is not in the package Ford finds waiting for him at the Embassy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford react to the partying the doctors are doing on the other side of the water?
2. What is the Sealife Corporation?
3. What type of relationship does Ford have with Sally Field?
4. What are the after-effects of the fight with the salesman on Ford's body?
5. What deal does Ford make with the old man outside the Presidential Palace?
6. How does Ford know the status of Jessica's relationship with Benny?
7. What clues does Ford search for in Tequesta after discovering Hollins's body?
8. What request does Rafe Hollins make to Ford when he calls him for the first time in years?
9. What does Ford do with Hollins's belongings after his death?
10. What major argument did President Don Jorge Balserio have with his wife for the entirety of their marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Ford juggles romantic relationships with three women: Pilar, Jessica, and Sheri. First, describe Ford's relationship with each of these three women. How did they meet? Then, explain which woman you believe is the best romantic fit for Ford and why.
Essay Topic 2
The town of Sanibel, Florida is often overrun with tourists. First, describe the town of Sanibel and explain why tourists want to come. Then, describe Ford's relationship with the tourists. How does he treat them? Give examples of at least two specific scenes in the novel that you believe exemplify Ford's relationship with the tourists.
Essay Topic 3
At the opening of the novel, Ford is speeding away through an underground tunnel from the Presidential Palace in Masagua. First, explain what Ford was doing in the Presidential Palace to begin with. Then, explain how Ford used his cunning and wit to escape, undetected from danger. Finally, explain how these events, which take place in the prologue, spin the action of the entire novel into motion.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)