|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ford ship to science classrooms for his business?
2. What time does Ford go to bed and notice that Jessica's porch light is still on?
3. At what time of day does Ford exit the Presidential Palace?
4. What type of trees line the shore near the marina?
5. In what century was the Presidential Palace built?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Donal Pio Cheng?
2. At the opening of the novel, what type of party is sweeping through Sanibel?
3. What request does Rafe Hollins make to Ford when he calls him for the first time in years?
4. How does Ford react to the partying the doctors are doing on the other side of the water?
5. What is the Kin Qux Cho?
6. What reason does Hollins give Ford as to why he believes his son was kidnapped?
7. What clues does Ford search for in Tequesta after discovering Hollins's body?
8. What does Ford do with Hollins's belongings after his death?
9. What surprise is waiting for Ford when he arrives home after having sex with Jessica for the first time?
10. Why does Ford get into a fight with an out-of-state salesman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Jake Hollins is relatively absent from the pages of the novel as a whole, he could be considered one of the most important characters in the story. First, describe Jake Hollins and his relationship with Ford. Do you think Jake should be considered one of the most important characters in the novel? Choose at least two specific scenes from the novel to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
The area called God's Eye Lake is one that is important to the investigation into Jake's disappearance as well as for the terrorists who run rampant in Masagua. First, describe the setting of God's Eye Lake. What makes this place significant in Mayan culture? Then, explain how the setting of the lake functions within the group Zacul leads. How does this place become an important setting in the search for Jake Hollins?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Ford has to manipulate many people in order to get information he wants. Choose one scene in which Ford uses manipulation to get ahead. Who does he manipulate? Why? Then, compare this scene of manipulation with another scene of manipulation. Is Ford always successful in his manipulations? Where did he learn this skill?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)