|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the boss man who publicly humiliates Jethro at the marina?
2. What type of house pet does Jessica keep?
3. How old was Hollins when he died?
4. What does Ford eat for dinner the day after Hollins dies?
5. Which of the following countries is McKinley interested in and subscribes to a magazine about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ford do with Hollins's belongings after his death?
2. How does President Don Jorge Balserio die?
3. What surprise is waiting for Ford when he arrives home after having sex with Jessica for the first time?
4. What reason does Hollins give Ford as to why he believes his son was kidnapped?
5. How does Dr. Marion Ford emerge from the Presidential Palace at the opening of the novel?
6. How does Ford know the status of Jessica's relationship with Benny?
7. What are the after-effects of the fight with the salesman on Ford's body?
8. What deal does Ford make with the old man outside the Presidential Palace?
9. How does Jessica know Rafe Hollins?
10. What is the Kin Qux Cho?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people of Masagua have an interesting history. First, describe the history that is recorded in the Kin Qux Cho. Who is allowed access to this history? Then, explain how the history of the Masagua people directly affects the plot of the novel and the life of young Jake Hollins. Be sure to cite at least two specific examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Ford calls on old friendships that stretch back even to high school in order to create a network of people that can feed him information when needed. First, create a list of characters Ford calls on from his past to help in his investigation into Jake's disappearance. Then, choose one relationship from Ford's past that proves to be particularly valuable in his investigation. Do you think Ford's investigation would have been a success without this character's help? Be sure to cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of their lives, Hollins's relationship with Ford has changed greatly. First, describe what Hollins and Ford's friendship was like in high school. Then, compare that to the relationship they had when Hollins first called asking for Ford's help. Finally, describe the state of the friendship between Hollins and Ford at the end of the novel.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)