|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What county is the marina in?
2. What area of science does Ford study?
3. Which of the following men is captain of the Florida Department of Criminal Law?
4. What article of clothing is Ford missing when he exits the Presidential Palace?
5. What time does Ford go to bed and notice that Jessica's porch light is still on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprise is waiting for Ford when he arrives home after having sex with Jessica for the first time?
2. How does the old man outside the Presidential Palace treat Ford when he sees him emerge?
3. What are the after-effects of the fight with the salesman on Ford's body?
4. How does President Don Jorge Balserio die?
5. Who is Tomlinson?
6. What deal does Ford make with the old man outside the Presidential Palace?
7. How does Ford react to the partying the doctors are doing on the other side of the water?
8. What clues does Ford search for in Tequesta after discovering Hollins's body?
9. Why does Ford get into a fight with an out-of-state salesman?
10. What reason does Hollins give Ford as to why he believes his son was kidnapped?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Ford calls on old friendships that stretch back even to high school in order to create a network of people that can feed him information when needed. First, create a list of characters Ford calls on from his past to help in his investigation into Jake's disappearance. Then, choose one relationship from Ford's past that proves to be particularly valuable in his investigation. Do you think Ford's investigation would have been a success without this character's help? Be sure to cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Zacul is a dangerous character interested in preserving only one thing: himself. First, describe Zacul physically. According to the text, what conclusions can one make about Zacul's character simply by looking at him? Are these conclusions usually true? Be sure to choose at least two scenes from the novel that exemplify Zacul's character and describe them, strengthening your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the course of their lives, Hollins's relationship with Ford has changed greatly. First, describe what Hollins and Ford's friendship was like in high school. Then, compare that to the relationship they had when Hollins first called asking for Ford's help. Finally, describe the state of the friendship between Hollins and Ford at the end of the novel.
This section contains 937 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)