|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of music does Jessica enjoy listening to?
2. What type of airplane does Ford fly home in?
3. What neighborhood in Manhattan did Jessica live and work in during her time in the city?
4. At what time of day does Ford exit the Presidential Palace?
5. According to the narrator, what decade does Tomlinson look like he just walked out of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jessica McClure?
2. Who is Tomlinson?
3. How does Ford react when he reads Hollins's obituary in the newspaper?
4. How does Ford know the status of Jessica's relationship with Benny?
5. Who is Bernstein and how does Ford convince Bernstein to partner with him?
6. What surprise is waiting for Ford when he arrives home after having sex with Jessica for the first time?
7. What type of relationship does Ford have with Sally Field?
8. What are the after-effects of the fight with the salesman on Ford's body?
9. What was Rafe Hollins's final year of marriage like before his divorce?
10. How does Ford react to the partying the doctors are doing on the other side of the water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the novel, Ford is speeding away through an underground tunnel from the Presidential Palace in Masagua. First, explain what Ford was doing in the Presidential Palace to begin with. Then, explain how Ford used his cunning and wit to escape, undetected from danger. Finally, explain how these events, which take place in the prologue, spin the action of the entire novel into motion.
Essay Topic 2
Hollins's rocky relationship and divorce from his ex-wife proved to be a turning point in his life. First, describe the relationship Hollins had with his ex-wife and what events led to their divorce. Then, explain how the series of events directly stemming from the divorce led to the ultimate kidnapping of their son.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Ford has to manipulate many people in order to get information he wants. Choose one scene in which Ford uses manipulation to get ahead. Who does he manipulate? Why? Then, compare this scene of manipulation with another scene of manipulation. Is Ford always successful in his manipulations? Where did he learn this skill?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)