|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is a tarpon?
2. In what American State does Ford settle down in after leaving Masagua?
3. What type of trees line the shore near the marina?
4. What is the name of Ford's old friend who works for the Operations Data Board of National Security Affairs?
5. In what Central American country did Ford and Hollins run into each other recently?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the opening of the novel, what type of party is sweeping through Sanibel?
2. Why does Ford get into a fight with an out-of-state salesman?
3. What does Ford do with Hollins's belongings after his death?
4. Who is Jessica McClure?
5. What are the after-effects of the fight with the salesman on Ford's body?
6. How does the old man outside the Presidential Palace treat Ford when he sees him emerge?
7. What type of relationship does Ford have with Sally Field?
8. What was Rafe Hollins's final year of marriage like before his divorce?
9. What major argument did President Don Jorge Balserio have with his wife for the entirety of their marriage?
10. How does President Don Jorge Balserio die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the novel, Ford is speeding away through an underground tunnel from the Presidential Palace in Masagua. First, explain what Ford was doing in the Presidential Palace to begin with. Then, explain how Ford used his cunning and wit to escape, undetected from danger. Finally, explain how these events, which take place in the prologue, spin the action of the entire novel into motion.
Essay Topic 2
Ford becomes increasingly disturbed to learn the details surrounding Hollins's death. First, describe the scene Ford happened across when he found Hollins's body. Then, explain what details led Ford to believe that Hollins was murdered. Finally, explain how Ford discovers the truth about Hollins's death and describe his reaction to that news.
Essay Topic 3
Although Jake Hollins is relatively absent from the pages of the novel as a whole, he could be considered one of the most important characters in the story. First, describe Jake Hollins and his relationship with Ford. Do you think Jake should be considered one of the most important characters in the novel? Choose at least two specific scenes from the novel to strengthen your argument.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)