|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hollins commit suicide?
2. In what century was the Presidential Palace built?
3. Which of the following insects is considered to be the biggest nuisance in Sanibel?
4. What type of sharks live at the marina near Ford's house?
5. What type of house pet does Jessica keep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ford get into a fight with an out-of-state salesman?
2. What clues does Ford search for in Tequesta after discovering Hollins's body?
3. What request does Rafe Hollins make to Ford when he calls him for the first time in years?
4. What package is waiting for Ford at the American Embassy the day after he leaves the Presidential Palace?
5. At the opening of the novel, what type of party is sweeping through Sanibel?
6. Who is Bernstein and how does Ford convince Bernstein to partner with him?
7. How does Ford react when he reads Hollins's obituary in the newspaper?
8. What type of relationship does Ford have with Jethro Nicholes?
9. Who is Donal Pio Cheng?
10. How does Ford react to the partying the doctors are doing on the other side of the water?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Ford calls on old friendships that stretch back even to high school in order to create a network of people that can feed him information when needed. First, create a list of characters Ford calls on from his past to help in his investigation into Jake's disappearance. Then, choose one relationship from Ford's past that proves to be particularly valuable in his investigation. Do you think Ford's investigation would have been a success without this character's help? Be sure to cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Ford becomes increasingly disturbed to learn the details surrounding Hollins's death. First, describe the scene Ford happened across when he found Hollins's body. Then, explain what details led Ford to believe that Hollins was murdered. Finally, explain how Ford discovers the truth about Hollins's death and describe his reaction to that news.
Essay Topic 3
Ford has been close to General Riviera. First, explain how these two men met. Over what activities did they bond? Then, explain how General Riviera feels about Ford's search for Jake Hollins and how he aided Ford in his quest. Be sure to include at least two specific scenes from the novel that you think support your argument to the relationship between Ford and General Riviera.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)