|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items is not in the package Ford finds waiting for him at the Embassy?
2. What color are clam worms?
3. What type of trees line the shore near the marina?
4. What type of fish does Jethro take the out-of-state businessmen to catch aboard his ship?
5. Where does Jessica's ex-boyfriend live in when he's not visiting her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford know the status of Jessica's relationship with Benny?
2. What realization about his family does Ford make due to a newspaper article at the end of the novel
3. What type of studying does Tomlinson do in preparation for his meeting with Zacul?
4. Who is Donal Pio Cheng?
5. How does Tomlinson prove his dedication to Ford while staying at General Riviera's?
6. How does General Juan Riviera greet Ford when he arrives in Masagua?
7. Who is Wendy Stafford?
8. At the end of the novel, who is politically in charge of Masagua?
9. What condition is Jake Hollins in when Ford finally finds him?
10. How did Hollins treat Ford when they met years earlier in South America?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Jake Hollins is relatively absent from the pages of the novel as a whole, he could be considered one of the most important characters in the story. First, describe Jake Hollins and his relationship with Ford. Do you think Jake should be considered one of the most important characters in the novel? Choose at least two specific scenes from the novel to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the course of their lives, Hollins's relationship with Ford has changed greatly. First, describe what Hollins and Ford's friendship was like in high school. Then, compare that to the relationship they had when Hollins first called asking for Ford's help. Finally, describe the state of the friendship between Hollins and Ford at the end of the novel.
Essay Topic 3
The town of Sanibel, Florida is often overrun with tourists. First, describe the town of Sanibel and explain why tourists want to come. Then, describe Ford's relationship with the tourists. How does he treat them? Give examples of at least two specific scenes in the novel that you believe exemplify Ford's relationship with the tourists.
This section contains 2,087 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)