|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does the old man outside the Presidential Palace speak?
2. At what time of day does Ford exit the Presidential Palace?
3. What type of doctor is Dr. Sheri Braun-Richards?
4. What color are clam worms?
5. What emotion does Ford feel when he thinks about his friend, Hollins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clues does Ford search for in Tequesta after discovering Hollins's body?
2. How does Ford know the status of Jessica's relationship with Benny?
3. How did Hollins treat Ford when they met years earlier in South America?
4. Who is Donal Pio Cheng?
5. What are the after-effects of the fight with the salesman on Ford's body?
6. Who is Tomlinson?
7. What type of relationship does Ford have with Jethro Nicholes?
8. How does Dr. Marion Ford emerge from the Presidential Palace at the opening of the novel?
9. What request does Rafe Hollins make to Ford when he calls him for the first time in years?
10. What is the Kin Qux Cho?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the opening of the novel, Ford is speeding away through an underground tunnel from the Presidential Palace in Masagua. First, explain what Ford was doing in the Presidential Palace to begin with. Then, explain how Ford used his cunning and wit to escape, undetected from danger. Finally, explain how these events, which take place in the prologue, spin the action of the entire novel into motion.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Ford has to manipulate many people in order to get information he wants. Choose one scene in which Ford uses manipulation to get ahead. Who does he manipulate? Why? Then, compare this scene of manipulation with another scene of manipulation. Is Ford always successful in his manipulations? Where did he learn this skill?
Essay Topic 3
When Jake Hollins is kidnapped his parents react very differently to the terrible news. First, describe Rafe Hollins's reaction to the news that his son is missing. Then, compare that to Helen Hollins' reaction. How do both of the parents treat Ford during his investigation into their son's disappearance? Based on these reactions, do you think Jake Hollins has any hope of living in a happy family upon his return?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)