|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following bands is not heard by Ford and Tomlinson blasting from the party across the water?
2. Which of the following men is captain of the Florida Department of Criminal Law?
3. Which of the following characters stole a copy of the Kin Qux Cho?
4. Which of the following items is not one of the only three items Ford has left in his refrigerator when Dr. Braun-Richards arrives?
5. What time does Ford go to bed and notice that Jessica's porch light is still on?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ford react when he reads Hollins's obituary in the newspaper?
2. What does Ford do with Hollins's belongings after his death?
3. How did Hollins treat Ford when they met years earlier in South America?
4. How does Jessica know Rafe Hollins?
5. What reason does Hollins give Ford as to why he believes his son was kidnapped?
6. How does Ford react to the partying the doctors are doing on the other side of the water?
7. Who is Jessica McClure?
8. How does Dr. Marion Ford emerge from the Presidential Palace at the opening of the novel?
9. What type of relationship does Ford have with Sally Field?
10. What clues does Ford search for in Tequesta after discovering Hollins's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tomlinson proves to be a character with a dichotomous personality. First, describe Tomlinson based on his physical appearance. What stereotypes do outsiders typically place on Tomlinson? Then, compare Tomlinson's external appearance to his internal appearance. Does Tomlinson's outside match his inside? How can you tell? Be sure to cite at least two specific examples from the text to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Ford calls on old friendships that stretch back even to high school in order to create a network of people that can feed him information when needed. First, create a list of characters Ford calls on from his past to help in his investigation into Jake's disappearance. Then, choose one relationship from Ford's past that proves to be particularly valuable in his investigation. Do you think Ford's investigation would have been a success without this character's help? Be sure to cite examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Ford has to manipulate many people in order to get information he wants. Choose one scene in which Ford uses manipulation to get ahead. Who does he manipulate? Why? Then, compare this scene of manipulation with another scene of manipulation. Is Ford always successful in his manipulations? Where did he learn this skill?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)