|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of house pet does Jessica keep?
2. Which of the following items is not in the package Ford finds waiting for him at the Embassy?
3. How does Ford hear about Masagua President Don Jorge Balserio's death?
4. What crime has Hollins committed that he thinks have put local police on his tail?
5. What does Ford purchase from the old man outside the Presidential Palace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Donal Pio Cheng?
2. What reason does Hollins give Ford as to why he believes his son was kidnapped?
3. How does Ford react to the partying the doctors are doing on the other side of the water?
4. What major argument did President Don Jorge Balserio have with his wife for the entirety of their marriage?
5. At the opening of the novel, what type of party is sweeping through Sanibel?
6. What type of relationship does Ford have with Jethro Nicholes?
7. How does the old man outside the Presidential Palace treat Ford when he sees him emerge?
8. What are the after-effects of the fight with the salesman on Ford's body?
9. What deal does Ford make with the old man outside the Presidential Palace?
10. What type of relationship does Ford have with Sally Field?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jake Hollins is kidnapped his parents react very differently to the terrible news. First, describe Rafe Hollins's reaction to the news that his son is missing. Then, compare that to Helen Hollins' reaction. How do both of the parents treat Ford during his investigation into their son's disappearance? Based on these reactions, do you think Jake Hollins has any hope of living in a happy family upon his return?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Ford has to manipulate many people in order to get information he wants. Choose one scene in which Ford uses manipulation to get ahead. Who does he manipulate? Why? Then, compare this scene of manipulation with another scene of manipulation. Is Ford always successful in his manipulations? Where did he learn this skill?
Essay Topic 3
The affair Ford has with Pilar is one of the turning points in his life. First, describe how Ford and Pilar met. Why was their relationship doomed from the start? Then, explain how the two supported and loved each other throughout the novel, even when they were physically apart. Finally, describe how the relationship between Pilar and Ford ends and why.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)