|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following awards was Hollins awarded for his baseball career in high school?
2. What is the name of the Masaguan Lake Ford knows of that is infested with aggressive freshwater sharks?
3. What crime has Hollins committed that he thinks have put local police on his tail?
4. What is Major Durell's first name?
5. Which of the following accessories does Ford lose in his scuffle with the businessman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprise is waiting for Ford when he arrives home after having sex with Jessica for the first time?
2. How does Ford know the status of Jessica's relationship with Benny?
3. What deal does Ford make with the old man outside the Presidential Palace?
4. What request does Rafe Hollins make to Ford when he calls him for the first time in years?
5. Why does Ford get into a fight with an out-of-state salesman?
6. What type of relationship does Ford have with Jethro Nicholes?
7. How does President Don Jorge Balserio die?
8. What clues does Ford search for in Tequesta after discovering Hollins's body?
9. Who is Jessica McClure?
10. Who is Donal Pio Cheng?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although Jake Hollins is relatively absent from the pages of the novel as a whole, he could be considered one of the most important characters in the story. First, describe Jake Hollins and his relationship with Ford. Do you think Jake should be considered one of the most important characters in the novel? Choose at least two specific scenes from the novel to strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Ford becomes increasingly disturbed to learn the details surrounding Hollins's death. First, describe the scene Ford happened across when he found Hollins's body. Then, explain what details led Ford to believe that Hollins was murdered. Finally, explain how Ford discovers the truth about Hollins's death and describe his reaction to that news.
Essay Topic 3
The affair Ford has with Pilar is one of the turning points in his life. First, describe how Ford and Pilar met. Why was their relationship doomed from the start? Then, explain how the two supported and loved each other throughout the novel, even when they were physically apart. Finally, describe how the relationship between Pilar and Ford ends and why.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)