|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was in the three-ring binder that Roseanna asked Sabbath to bring to her while she was in the psychiatric hospital?
2. How does Sabbath respond when Norman takes his hand?
3. According to Crawford, who tends the Sabbath family's graves?
4. What does Sabbath think that Michelle is trying to communicate to him by what she is wearing?
5. How does Sabbath proposition Michelle to have an affair with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is contained in the note that Norman leaves on the table for Sabbath on the first morning of his stay?
2. Why does Norman throw Sabbath out of his home?
3. Why does Norman invite Sabbath to stay with him?
4. Who was Helen Trumbull?
5. How does Sabbath locate the cemetery where his parents are buried?
6. What does Sabbath do after opening the box of Morty's possessions?
7. Why are a few pages of Part 6 written without punctuation?
8. In Part 8, why does Sabbath go to the cemetery?
9. Why does Sabbath think that Norman and Linc chose to produce his show?
10. What story does Norman encourage Sabbath to tell Michelle at dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The letters that Sabbath finds in the box of Morty's personal possessions mirror the ones that Roseanna's father had written to her before his suicide. What are some of the similarities between those two sets of letters? What are the significant differences? How is the manner in which Sabbath treats his brother's letters different from the way in which he treats the letters that were written by Roseanna's father? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Does Sabbath show any personal growth through the course of the novel? Does he change or mature in any way? If so, what is it? If not, why? Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not? In what ways does Sabbath choose his own fate? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Sabbath has been married twice: to Nikki, and then to Roseanna. What qualities do his two wives have in common? What attracted them to Sabbath? What attracted Sabbath to them? Why did Sabbath choose to marry them, despite the fact that he seems incapable of love? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)