|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the first thing that Sabbath does when he is alone in Deborah's bedroom?
2. Who is Rosa?
3. While watching the beggars on the street, Sabbath thinks that he has failed as a street performer because he has not done which of the following?
4. Why does Sabbath refuse to read the newspapers that Norman gives him?
5. How did Roseanna react when she first found out about the scandal concerning Sabbath?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 8, why does Sabbath go to the cemetery?
2. What does Rosa give Sabbath hoping that he will not kill her?
3. On the first night of his stay with the Cowans, why is Sabbath in such a good mood at dinner?
4. What is contained in the note that Norman leaves on the table for Sabbath on the first morning of his stay?
5. What does Sabbath notice about his family's graves?
6. What happened at Sabbath's trial for public indecency?
7. In Part 6, why does Sabbath liken himself to Rip Van Winkle?
8. To whom does Sabbath link himself in the obituary that he composes on the subway?
9. What story does Norman encourage Sabbath to tell Michelle at dinner?
10. What does Sabbath notice in Fish's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suicide is a prevalent theme in the course of the novel, and Sabbath considers the possibility of killing himself many times. Why does Sabbath want to, or feel that he should, commit suicide? What problems would Sabbath solve by killing himself? Why does he ultimately decide not to? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Sabbath's "Indecent Theater" was well-known for its obscene material. Why did Sabbath chose indecency as his ultimate goal? What was he hoping to accomplish with his theater? Why did it make him feel fulfilled? Is there any other profession in which Sabbath would have been happy? If so, which one? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Sabbath lost all interest in directing when Nikki disappeared. Why? What was so different about directing when he no longer had Nikki as his leading lady? Would Sabbath have continued to direct if Nikki had stayed? Would there have been any future in it for him? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)