|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sabbath respond when Norman takes his hand?
2. Sabbath is convinced that the young woman he meets on the subway is whose daughter?
3. One of the patients at the hospital where Roseanna was staying referred to Sabbath by the name of which of the following gods?
4. What does Sabbath see in Fish's house?
5. How does Sabbath proposition Michelle to have an affair with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sabbath notice about his family's graves?
2. Who was Helen Trumbull?
3. What are some of the items that Sabbath finds in the box containing Morty's possessions?
4. When Rosa arrives, what is Sabbath's excuse for the mess that he has made with Deborah's clothes?
5. What does Sabbath notice in Fish's house?
6. What was the scandal that caused Sabbath to lose his job at the college?
7. What happened at Sabbath's trial for public indecency?
8. What does Rosa give Sabbath hoping that he will not kill her?
9. How does Sabbath convince Michelle to have an affair with him?
10. What does Sabbath do after opening the box of Morty's possessions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sabbath details the dramatic change that his mother underwent when his brother, Morty, died. What happened to Sabbath's relationship with his mother, as a result of his brother's death? How did the dramatic change in Sabbath's relationship with his mother, and subsequent loss of maternal affection, affect his relationships with women later in life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Sabbath has been married twice: to Nikki, and then to Roseanna. What qualities do his two wives have in common? What attracted them to Sabbath? What attracted Sabbath to them? Why did Sabbath choose to marry them, despite the fact that he seems incapable of love? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Christa and Drenka are both in similar situations when Sabbath meets them. What enables Sabbath to take advantage of them? How does each woman react to Sabbath? Why do they react differently? What makes them both attractive to Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)