|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is in the other envelope that Rosa pulls out of Michelle's drawer?
2. Sabbath is convinced that the young woman he meets on the subway is whose daughter?
3. How is Norman described when Sabbath sees him?
4. Why does Norman make Sabbath leave his home?
5. According to what he tells Norman, what bothers Sabbath about his decision to leave New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sabbath do after opening the box of Morty's possessions?
2. What is contained in the note that Norman leaves on the table for Sabbath on the first morning of his stay?
3. Why are a few pages of Part 6 written without punctuation?
4. Why does Norman invite Sabbath to stay with him?
5. What was the scandal that caused Sabbath to lose his job at the college?
6. In Part 8, why does Sabbath go to the cemetery?
7. When Rosa arrives, what is Sabbath's excuse for the mess that he has made with Deborah's clothes?
8. Why does Norman throw Sabbath out of his home?
9. Why does Sabbath think that Norman and Linc chose to produce his show?
10. What does Sabbath notice in Fish's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, most of what Sabbath says is framed as biting sarcasm. But how much truth underlies his type of "humor"? What is the author trying to accomplish by framing Sabbath's attitudes and comments in a sarcastic fashion? Is it to merely entertain the reader? Or is there other significance to that method? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The letters that Sabbath finds in the box of Morty's personal possessions mirror the ones that Roseanna's father had written to her before his suicide. What are some of the similarities between those two sets of letters? What are the significant differences? How is the manner in which Sabbath treats his brother's letters different from the way in which he treats the letters that were written by Roseanna's father? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Does Sabbath show any personal growth through the course of the novel? Does he change or mature in any way? If so, what is it? If not, why? Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not? In what ways does Sabbath choose his own fate? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)