|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is in the other envelope that Rosa pulls out of Michelle's drawer?
2. Why does Sabbath think that Michelle is cheating on Norman?
3. Which of the following is Sabbath's reasoning for why Linc and Norman were so kind and helpful to him?
4. What does Sabbath ponder doing as he gives Michelle his clothes?
5. Which of the following does Sabbath do before leaving the cemetery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sabbath convince Michelle to have an affair with him?
2. Why does Sabbath think that Norman and Linc chose to produce his show?
3. To whom does Sabbath link himself in the obituary that he composes on the subway?
4. Why are a few pages of Part 6 written without punctuation?
5. Who was Helen Trumbull?
6. What story does Norman encourage Sabbath to tell Michelle at dinner?
7. What does Sabbath notice about his family's graves?
8. What does Sabbath notice in Fish's house?
9. Why does Norman throw Sabbath out of his home?
10. How does Norman react to Sabbath when he first sees him again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, it is obvious that Sabbath is obsessed with sex. Why? Does Sabbath know of any other ways to be close to people? What is he seeking and hoping to gain via his sexual encounters with women? Is Sabbath conscious of the psychology that relates to his obsession with sex? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Sabbath describes his time on the "Romance Run" as some of the best years of his life. How did participating in the "Romance Run" at such an impressionable age affect Sabbath's personal development? Why? Would the "Romance Run" have had less of an impact on Sabbath if he had participated in it at a less crucial time in his personal development? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The letters that Sabbath finds in the box of Morty's personal possessions mirror the ones that Roseanna's father had written to her before his suicide. What are some of the similarities between those two sets of letters? What are the significant differences? How is the manner in which Sabbath treats his brother's letters different from the way in which he treats the letters that were written by Roseanna's father? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)