|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Norman insist that Sabbath stay with him?
2. Who is Rosa?
3. Which of the following is Sabbath's reasoning for why Linc and Norman were so kind and helpful to him?
4. What patriotic item which belonged to Morty does Sabbath discover?
5. Why does Sabbath begin to cry while sitting at Norman's table?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sabbath notice in Fish's house?
2. What does Rosa give Sabbath hoping that he will not kill her?
3. What are some of the items that Sabbath finds in the box containing Morty's possessions?
4. On the first night of his stay with the Cowans, why is Sabbath in such a good mood at dinner?
5. Why was Sabbath escorted off the grounds by security when he went to visit Roseanna at the psychiatric hospital?
6. When Rosa arrives, what is Sabbath's excuse for the mess that he has made with Deborah's clothes?
7. In Part 6, why does Sabbath liken himself to Rip Van Winkle?
8. How does Sabbath convince Michelle to have an affair with him?
9. Who was Helen Trumbull?
10. How does Sabbath locate the cemetery where his parents are buried?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In most cases, Sabbath is completely oblivious to the emotions of the people around him. How does his lack of empathy affect those people? Why is he unable to discern the emotions of others? What consequences have befallen Sabbath as a result of his inability to empathize with others? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Michelle repeatedly asks Sabbath why he always pushes people away. Does he ever answer her? Does he know the answer himself? Why or why not? What might be some reasons why Sabbath is so antisocial? Does he just not know how to interact with people? Is it because he is incapable of empathy? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Sabbath's "Indecent Theater" was well-known for its obscene material. Why did Sabbath chose indecency as his ultimate goal? What was he hoping to accomplish with his theater? Why did it make him feel fulfilled? Is there any other profession in which Sabbath would have been happy? If so, which one? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)