|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Sabbath lose his job at the college in 1989?
2. Which of the following was in the three-ring binder that Roseanna asked Sabbath to bring to her while she was in the psychiatric hospital?
3. Why does Sabbath think that Norman wants him to tell the story of his arrest?
4. What is Sabbath's reply when Michelle tells him how highly Norman spoke of him?
5. Sabbath is convinced that the young woman he meets on the subway is whose daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Roseanna do when she found out about the scandal that caused Sabbath to lose his job?
2. When Rosa arrives, what is Sabbath's excuse for the mess that he has made with Deborah's clothes?
3. What is contained in the note that Norman leaves on the table for Sabbath on the first morning of his stay?
4. How does Sabbath locate the cemetery where his parents are buried?
5. What happened at Sabbath's trial for public indecency?
6. Why are a few pages of Part 6 written without punctuation?
7. Why does Norman invite Sabbath to stay with him?
8. What was the scandal that caused Sabbath to lose his job at the college?
9. What does Sabbath notice about his family's graves?
10. What are some of the items that Sabbath finds in the box containing Morty's possessions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christa and Drenka are both in similar situations when Sabbath meets them. What enables Sabbath to take advantage of them? How does each woman react to Sabbath? Why do they react differently? What makes them both attractive to Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The letters that Sabbath finds in the box of Morty's personal possessions mirror the ones that Roseanna's father had written to her before his suicide. What are some of the similarities between those two sets of letters? What are the significant differences? How is the manner in which Sabbath treats his brother's letters different from the way in which he treats the letters that were written by Roseanna's father? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
In most cases, Sabbath is completely oblivious to the emotions of the people around him. How does his lack of empathy affect those people? Why is he unable to discern the emotions of others? What consequences have befallen Sabbath as a result of his inability to empathize with others? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)