|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following historical figures does Sabbath mention when Michelle asks him why he pushes everyone away?
2. Why does Sabbath think that Norman wants him to tell the story of his arrest?
3. What does Sabbath say when Norman catches him with Deborah's picture?
4. Which of the following is in the other envelope that Rosa pulls out of Michelle's drawer?
5. Which of the following items did Sabbath keep locked away in a file cabinet at the college where he worked?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Norman throw Sabbath out of his home?
2. What does Sabbath notice about his family's graves?
3. What story does Norman encourage Sabbath to tell Michelle at dinner?
4. On the first night of his stay with the Cowans, why is Sabbath in such a good mood at dinner?
5. In Part 6, why does Sabbath liken himself to Rip Van Winkle?
6. Why does Sabbath think that Norman and Linc chose to produce his show?
7. What happened at Sabbath's trial for public indecency?
8. What does Sabbath notice in Fish's house?
9. When Rosa arrives, what is Sabbath's excuse for the mess that he has made with Deborah's clothes?
10. To whom does Sabbath link himself in the obituary that he composes on the subway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, most of what Sabbath says is framed as biting sarcasm. But how much truth underlies his type of "humor"? What is the author trying to accomplish by framing Sabbath's attitudes and comments in a sarcastic fashion? Is it to merely entertain the reader? Or is there other significance to that method? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Sabbath lost all interest in directing when Nikki disappeared. Why? What was so different about directing when he no longer had Nikki as his leading lady? Would Sabbath have continued to direct if Nikki had stayed? Would there have been any future in it for him? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
At one point, Sabbath says that Norman is everything that Roseanna ever wanted in a husband. However, Sabbath does not have to work very hard to convince Michelle to have an affair with him. Why is that? What is Norman lacking that makes Michelle willing to have an affair with Sabbath? Would it be something about which Roseanna would not care? Or is Sabbath erroneous in his assessment of Norman? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)