|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Sabbath do before leaving the cemetery?
2. At the end of Part 8, what does Sabbath do at the beach?
3. Which of the following reasons is Sabbath's justification for taking the money and pictures upon fleeing Norman's house?
4. Why did Sabbath lose his job at the college in 1989?
5. Due to which of the following realizations does Sabbath claim that he fainted when Norman kicked him out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sabbath locate the cemetery where his parents are buried?
2. What did Roseanna do when she found out about the scandal that caused Sabbath to lose his job?
3. How does Norman react to Sabbath when he first sees him again?
4. In Part 6, why does Sabbath liken himself to Rip Van Winkle?
5. Why does Norman throw Sabbath out of his home?
6. What does Sabbath notice about his family's graves?
7. How does Sabbath convince Michelle to have an affair with him?
8. Why are a few pages of Part 6 written without punctuation?
9. To whom does Sabbath link himself in the obituary that he composes on the subway?
10. What are some of the items that Sabbath finds in the box containing Morty's possessions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Sabbath show any personal growth through the course of the novel? Does he change or mature in any way? If so, what is it? If not, why? Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not? In what ways does Sabbath choose his own fate? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Sabbath mentions that all of the women in his life hated their fathers. Why do you think that is so? Why did a lack of paternal affection change them in a way that attracted them to Sabbath? What qualities did those women have that made them a target for Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
In most cases, Sabbath is completely oblivious to the emotions of the people around him. How does his lack of empathy affect those people? Why is he unable to discern the emotions of others? What consequences have befallen Sabbath as a result of his inability to empathize with others? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)