|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to what he tells Michelle, why does Sabbath think that Norman has remained friends with him?
2. During his first morning at Norman's, what does Sabbath consider as a potential reason to live?
3. Where did Sabbath go after visiting Roseanna at the hospital?
4. One of the patients at the hospital where Roseanna was staying referred to Sabbath by the name of which of the following gods?
5. Which of the following does Sabbath do before leaving the cemetery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sabbath notice in Fish's house?
2. What is contained in the note that Norman leaves on the table for Sabbath on the first morning of his stay?
3. Who was Helen Trumbull?
4. What happened at Sabbath's trial for public indecency?
5. In Part 6, why does Sabbath liken himself to Rip Van Winkle?
6. In Part 8, why does Sabbath go to the cemetery?
7. To whom does Sabbath link himself in the obituary that he composes on the subway?
8. Why was Sabbath escorted off the grounds by security when he went to visit Roseanna at the psychiatric hospital?
9. What does Rosa give Sabbath hoping that he will not kill her?
10. What was the scandal that caused Sabbath to lose his job at the college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sabbath's "Indecent Theater" was well-known for its obscene material. Why did Sabbath chose indecency as his ultimate goal? What was he hoping to accomplish with his theater? Why did it make him feel fulfilled? Is there any other profession in which Sabbath would have been happy? If so, which one? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Christa and Drenka are both in similar situations when Sabbath meets them. What enables Sabbath to take advantage of them? How does each woman react to Sabbath? Why do they react differently? What makes them both attractive to Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Sabbath describes his time on the "Romance Run" as some of the best years of his life. How did participating in the "Romance Run" at such an impressionable age affect Sabbath's personal development? Why? Would the "Romance Run" have had less of an impact on Sabbath if he had participated in it at a less crucial time in his personal development? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)