|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rosa tries to comfort Sabbath as he weeps, what does he think that she is going to attempt to do?
2. Why did Sabbath lose his job at the college in 1989?
3. How does Sabbath find the place that he seeks?
4. While watching the beggars on the street, Sabbath thinks that he has failed as a street performer because he has not done which of the following?
5. Why does Sabbath think that Norman is throwing him out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sabbath locate the cemetery where his parents are buried?
2. Why was Sabbath escorted off the grounds by security when he went to visit Roseanna at the psychiatric hospital?
3. What happened at Sabbath's trial for public indecency?
4. Why does Norman throw Sabbath out of his home?
5. What is contained in the note that Norman leaves on the table for Sabbath on the first morning of his stay?
6. What does Sabbath do after opening the box of Morty's possessions?
7. What does Sabbath notice about his family's graves?
8. In Part 6, why does Sabbath liken himself to Rip Van Winkle?
9. How does Norman react to Sabbath when he first sees him again?
10. Why are a few pages of Part 6 written without punctuation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suicide is a prevalent theme in the course of the novel, and Sabbath considers the possibility of killing himself many times. Why does Sabbath want to, or feel that he should, commit suicide? What problems would Sabbath solve by killing himself? Why does he ultimately decide not to? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Does Sabbath show any personal growth through the course of the novel? Does he change or mature in any way? If so, what is it? If not, why? Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not? In what ways does Sabbath choose his own fate? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Christa and Drenka are both in similar situations when Sabbath meets them. What enables Sabbath to take advantage of them? How does each woman react to Sabbath? Why do they react differently? What makes them both attractive to Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)