|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sabbath think that Michelle earned the money that she hid in her drawer?
2. How does Sabbath feel about his family plot being filled?
3. What is Sabbath's reply when Michelle tells him how highly Norman spoke of him?
4. Which of the following reasons is Sabbath's justification for taking the money and pictures upon fleeing Norman's house?
5. What does Sabbath start carrying in his pants pocket?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 8, why does Sabbath go to the cemetery?
2. On the first night of his stay with the Cowans, why is Sabbath in such a good mood at dinner?
3. What happened at Sabbath's trial for public indecency?
4. Why does Norman throw Sabbath out of his home?
5. What does Sabbath notice about his family's graves?
6. When Rosa arrives, what is Sabbath's excuse for the mess that he has made with Deborah's clothes?
7. What was the scandal that caused Sabbath to lose his job at the college?
8. What is contained in the note that Norman leaves on the table for Sabbath on the first morning of his stay?
9. Why does Norman invite Sabbath to stay with him?
10. To whom does Sabbath link himself in the obituary that he composes on the subway?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sabbath's "Indecent Theater" was well-known for its obscene material. Why did Sabbath chose indecency as his ultimate goal? What was he hoping to accomplish with his theater? Why did it make him feel fulfilled? Is there any other profession in which Sabbath would have been happy? If so, which one? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Sabbath lost all interest in directing when Nikki disappeared. Why? What was so different about directing when he no longer had Nikki as his leading lady? Would Sabbath have continued to direct if Nikki had stayed? Would there have been any future in it for him? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Sabbath describes his time on the "Romance Run" as some of the best years of his life. How did participating in the "Romance Run" at such an impressionable age affect Sabbath's personal development? Why? Would the "Romance Run" have had less of an impact on Sabbath if he had participated in it at a less crucial time in his personal development? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)