|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sabbath think that Michelle is trying to communicate to him by what she is wearing?
2. How does Sabbath feel about his family plot being filled?
3. Which of the following is Sabbath's reasoning for why Linc and Norman were so kind and helpful to him?
4. How does Norman view Sabbath?
5. Which of the following historical figures does Sabbath mention when Michelle asks him why he pushes everyone away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Sabbath escorted off the grounds by security when he went to visit Roseanna at the psychiatric hospital?
2. Why does Norman invite Sabbath to stay with him?
3. What does Rosa give Sabbath hoping that he will not kill her?
4. To whom does Sabbath link himself in the obituary that he composes on the subway?
5. What does Sabbath do after opening the box of Morty's possessions?
6. Why does Sabbath think that Norman and Linc chose to produce his show?
7. What story does Norman encourage Sabbath to tell Michelle at dinner?
8. What is contained in the note that Norman leaves on the table for Sabbath on the first morning of his stay?
9. What does Sabbath notice about his family's graves?
10. How does Sabbath locate the cemetery where his parents are buried?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Sabbath show any personal growth through the course of the novel? Does he change or mature in any way? If so, what is it? If not, why? Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not? In what ways does Sabbath choose his own fate? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, it is obvious that Sabbath is obsessed with sex. Why? Does Sabbath know of any other ways to be close to people? What is he seeking and hoping to gain via his sexual encounters with women? Is Sabbath conscious of the psychology that relates to his obsession with sex? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
At one point, Sabbath mentions that all of the women in his life hated their fathers. Why do you think that is so? Why did a lack of paternal affection change them in a way that attracted them to Sabbath? What qualities did those women have that made them a target for Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)