|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following historical figures does Sabbath mention when Michelle asks him why he pushes everyone away?
2. Why does Sabbath begin to cry while sitting at Norman's table?
3. Which of the following reasons is Sabbath's justification for taking the money and pictures upon fleeing Norman's house?
4. Which of the following does Sabbath do before leaving the cemetery?
5. One of the patients at the hospital where Roseanna was staying referred to Sabbath by the name of which of the following gods?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the scandal that caused Sabbath to lose his job at the college?
2. In Part 8, why does Sabbath go to the cemetery?
3. What does Sabbath do after opening the box of Morty's possessions?
4. On the first night of his stay with the Cowans, why is Sabbath in such a good mood at dinner?
5. What does Rosa give Sabbath hoping that he will not kill her?
6. How does Sabbath convince Michelle to have an affair with him?
7. What happened at Sabbath's trial for public indecency?
8. Why does Norman throw Sabbath out of his home?
9. What does Sabbath notice in Fish's house?
10. When Rosa arrives, what is Sabbath's excuse for the mess that he has made with Deborah's clothes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Sabbath mentions that all of the women in his life hated their fathers. Why do you think that is so? Why did a lack of paternal affection change them in a way that attracted them to Sabbath? What qualities did those women have that made them a target for Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
A detailed account is given of the reasons why Sabbath and his wife, Roseanna, hate each other. How has their relationship changed since it began? Why? Why has neither of them left the other considering the state of their relationship? Sabbath thinks that he can make things right with Roseanna by showing her some affection. Do you agree? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Christa and Drenka are both in similar situations when Sabbath meets them. What enables Sabbath to take advantage of them? How does each woman react to Sabbath? Why do they react differently? What makes them both attractive to Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)