|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sabbath's response when Norman comments on his isolation from society?
2. Due to which of the following realizations does Sabbath claim that he fainted when Norman kicked him out?
3. What does Sabbath see in Fish's house?
4. What excuse does Sabbath give Rosa for having gone through Deborah's drawers?
5. Who occupies the space next to Sabbath's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rosa give Sabbath hoping that he will not kill her?
2. What is contained in the note that Norman leaves on the table for Sabbath on the first morning of his stay?
3. How does Norman react to Sabbath when he first sees him again?
4. What was the scandal that caused Sabbath to lose his job at the college?
5. Why was Sabbath escorted off the grounds by security when he went to visit Roseanna at the psychiatric hospital?
6. What story does Norman encourage Sabbath to tell Michelle at dinner?
7. On the first night of his stay with the Cowans, why is Sabbath in such a good mood at dinner?
8. Why are a few pages of Part 6 written without punctuation?
9. Why does Sabbath think that Norman and Linc chose to produce his show?
10. In Part 8, why does Sabbath go to the cemetery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Sabbath mentions that all of the women in his life hated their fathers. Why do you think that is so? Why did a lack of paternal affection change them in a way that attracted them to Sabbath? What qualities did those women have that made them a target for Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Sabbath didn't want a faithful, exclusive relationship with Drenka when she was alive, but he was tortured by jealousy after she died. What did her death change? Why did his attitude change so much? Why was he unwilling to admit to Drenka that he was already being faithful to her? Was his explanation, that no other women wanted him, accurate? Or was he just refusing to admit that he was being faithful by choice? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Christa and Drenka are both in similar situations when Sabbath meets them. What enables Sabbath to take advantage of them? How does each woman react to Sabbath? Why do they react differently? What makes them both attractive to Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)