|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Sabbath do before leaving the cemetery?
2. What is Sabbath looking for at the beginning of Part 8?
3. What is Sabbath's response when Norman comments on his isolation from society?
4. Due to which of the following realizations does Sabbath claim that he fainted when Norman kicked him out?
5. Which of the following is Sabbath's reasoning for why Linc and Norman were so kind and helpful to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 8, why does Sabbath go to the cemetery?
2. What does Rosa give Sabbath hoping that he will not kill her?
3. How does Sabbath locate the cemetery where his parents are buried?
4. To whom does Sabbath link himself in the obituary that he composes on the subway?
5. In Part 6, why does Sabbath liken himself to Rip Van Winkle?
6. On the first night of his stay with the Cowans, why is Sabbath in such a good mood at dinner?
7. What does Sabbath do after opening the box of Morty's possessions?
8. Why does Norman invite Sabbath to stay with him?
9. How does Norman react to Sabbath when he first sees him again?
10. Who was Helen Trumbull?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sabbath thinks that Norman remained his friend only because wealthy, well-bred people like Norman need friends like Sabbath, to vicariously enjoy the steamy side of life. Why does Sabbath feel this way? Why is he unable to accept the idea that Norman simply liked him? What excuse does Sabbath make for why Norman and Linc wanted to produce his show? Do you think it is accurate? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Sabbath mentions that all of the women in his life hated their fathers. Why do you think that is so? Why did a lack of paternal affection change them in a way that attracted them to Sabbath? What qualities did those women have that made them a target for Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, it is obvious that Sabbath is obsessed with sex. Why? Does Sabbath know of any other ways to be close to people? What is he seeking and hoping to gain via his sexual encounters with women? Is Sabbath conscious of the psychology that relates to his obsession with sex? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 998 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)