|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Nikki hate her father?
2. At the beginning of Part 3, what does Sabbath find out about Linc?
3. Christa went to Madamaska Falls from which of the following cities?
4. According to Norman, which of the following rumors did Linc never believe about Sabbath?
5. Why did Sabbath leave New York the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 3, what happens at Drenka's grave?
2. What transpired between Drenka and Barrett shortly before Drenka's death?
3. What happened between Sabbath, Drenka, and Christa?
4. What torments Sabbath after Drenka's death?
5. On what occasion did Sabbath first see Matija in public?
6. Why did Sabbath quit directing?
7. How does Sabbath feel when Matija tells him about the sympathy cards that he received for Drenka's death?
8. How did Sabbath meet Christa?
9. What profession does Sabbath think that he should have chosen in Part 3?
10. What happened at Sabbath's trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sabbath thinks that Norman remained his friend only because wealthy, well-bred people like Norman need friends like Sabbath, to vicariously enjoy the steamy side of life. Why does Sabbath feel this way? Why is he unable to accept the idea that Norman simply liked him? What excuse does Sabbath make for why Norman and Linc wanted to produce his show? Do you think it is accurate? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
In most cases, Sabbath is completely oblivious to the emotions of the people around him. How does his lack of empathy affect those people? Why is he unable to discern the emotions of others? What consequences have befallen Sabbath as a result of his inability to empathize with others? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The letters that Sabbath finds in the box of Morty's personal possessions mirror the ones that Roseanna's father had written to her before his suicide. What are some of the similarities between those two sets of letters? What are the significant differences? How is the manner in which Sabbath treats his brother's letters different from the way in which he treats the letters that were written by Roseanna's father? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)