|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Matija strikes Sabbath?
2. What did the woman in the house next to what Sabbath thought might be Nikki's, tell Sabbath?
3. Over the years, Sabbath has encouraged Drenka to do which of the following?
4. As the novel opens, who issues an ultimatum to Sabbath?
5. Who is Christa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ultimatum is issued at the beginning of Part 1?
2. What transpired between Drenka and Barrett shortly before Drenka's death?
3. What role did Roseanna play in Sabbath's puppet theater?
4. In what political environment was Drenka raised?
5. Why is Drenka unable to discuss Matthew's career with Matija?
6. Why does Drenka after so long, suddenly demand that Sabbath be faithful to her?
7. Why did Sabbath quit directing?
8. What happened between Sabbath, Drenka, and Christa?
9. At the end of Chapter 3, what happens at Drenka's grave?
10. What torments Sabbath after Drenka's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sabbath details the dramatic change that his mother underwent when his brother, Morty, died. What happened to Sabbath's relationship with his mother, as a result of his brother's death? How did the dramatic change in Sabbath's relationship with his mother, and subsequent loss of maternal affection, affect his relationships with women later in life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Suicide is a prevalent theme in the course of the novel, and Sabbath considers the possibility of killing himself many times. Why does Sabbath want to, or feel that he should, commit suicide? What problems would Sabbath solve by killing himself? Why does he ultimately decide not to? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Sabbath lost all interest in directing when Nikki disappeared. Why? What was so different about directing when he no longer had Nikki as his leading lady? Would Sabbath have continued to direct if Nikki had stayed? Would there have been any future in it for him? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)