|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Roseanna hate Sabbath now?
2. What happened when Scott Lewis got a prostitute for Drenka?
3. Why did Sabbath want Drenka to sleep with all of his friends?
4. What was Sabbath's mother always doing?
5. Christa went to Madamaska Falls from which of the following cities?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Matija to end his encounter with Sabbath abruptly, but politely?
2. In what political environment was Drenka raised?
3. At the end of Chapter 3, what happens at Drenka's grave?
4. What transpired between Drenka and Barrett shortly before Drenka's death?
5. What happened between Sabbath, Drenka, and Christa?
6. What profession does Sabbath think that he should have chosen in Part 3?
7. Why did Sabbath choose to leave New York?
8. How does Sabbath feel when Matija tells him about the sympathy cards that he received for Drenka's death?
9. Why did Sabbath quit directing?
10. What role did Roseanna play in Sabbath's puppet theater?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Sabbath mentions that all of the women in his life hated their fathers. Why do you think that is so? Why did a lack of paternal affection change them in a way that attracted them to Sabbath? What qualities did those women have that made them a target for Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
A detailed account is given of the reasons why Sabbath and his wife, Roseanna, hate each other. How has their relationship changed since it began? Why? Why has neither of them left the other considering the state of their relationship? Sabbath thinks that he can make things right with Roseanna by showing her some affection. Do you agree? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Sabbath has been married twice: to Nikki, and then to Roseanna. What qualities do his two wives have in common? What attracted them to Sabbath? What attracted Sabbath to them? Why did Sabbath choose to marry them, despite the fact that he seems incapable of love? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)