|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Silvija?
2. How did Sabbath and Roseanna meet?
3. Over the years, Sabbath has encouraged Drenka to do which of the following?
4. How do the people at Linc's office feel about what happened to him?
5. What was Sabbath's mother always doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Matija to end his encounter with Sabbath abruptly, but politely?
2. How does Sabbath make the decision to leave Roseanna?
3. Why was Drenka initially attracted to her husband, Matija?
4. How is Sabbath described in Part 1?
5. What role did Roseanna play in Sabbath's puppet theater?
6. What transpired between Drenka and Barrett shortly before Drenka's death?
7. How does Sabbath feel when Matija tells him about the sympathy cards that he received for Drenka's death?
8. What ultimatum is issued at the beginning of Part 1?
9. What event ended in Sabbath's arrest?
10. Why did Sabbath choose to leave New York?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sabbath's "Indecent Theater" was well-known for its obscene material. Why did Sabbath chose indecency as his ultimate goal? What was he hoping to accomplish with his theater? Why did it make him feel fulfilled? Is there any other profession in which Sabbath would have been happy? If so, which one? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The letters that Sabbath finds in the box of Morty's personal possessions mirror the ones that Roseanna's father had written to her before his suicide. What are some of the similarities between those two sets of letters? What are the significant differences? How is the manner in which Sabbath treats his brother's letters different from the way in which he treats the letters that were written by Roseanna's father? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
At one point, Sabbath mentions that all of the women in his life hated their fathers. Why do you think that is so? Why did a lack of paternal affection change them in a way that attracted them to Sabbath? What qualities did those women have that made them a target for Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)