|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Sabbath and Nikki meet?
2. Who is Roseanna?
3. Why does Sabbath only visit Drenka's grave at night?
4. Over the years, Sabbath has encouraged Drenka to do which of the following?
5. Which of the following is the ultimatum issued to Sabbath?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role did Roseanna play in Sabbath's puppet theater?
2. Why does Sabbath live off of Roseanna's salary?
3. What happened at Sabbath's trial?
4. What transpired between Drenka and Barrett shortly before Drenka's death?
5. Why is Drenka unable to discuss Matthew's career with Matija?
6. What are some of the reasons that are detailed in Part 3 about Sabbath and his wife "hating" one another?
7. How did Sabbath meet Christa?
8. What ultimatum is issued at the beginning of Part 1?
9. Why does Norman Cowan call Sabbath at the beginning of Part 3?
10. What torments Sabbath after Drenka's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, most of what Sabbath says is framed as biting sarcasm. But how much truth underlies his type of "humor"? What is the author trying to accomplish by framing Sabbath's attitudes and comments in a sarcastic fashion? Is it to merely entertain the reader? Or is there other significance to that method? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Christa and Drenka are both in similar situations when Sabbath meets them. What enables Sabbath to take advantage of them? How does each woman react to Sabbath? Why do they react differently? What makes them both attractive to Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
When Sabbath leaves home, Roseanna gets over him fairly quickly. In fact, within a few days' time, she has a new companion. Why are Roseanna and Christa attracted to one another? What is Christa able to provide, that Sabbath could not? What does that tell the reader about Roseanna's feelings for Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)