|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christa went to Madamaska Falls from which of the following cities?
2. What surprised Matija enough to cause him to end his conversation with Sabbath?
3. In what country was Drenka born?
4. According to Norman, which of the following rumors did Linc never believe about Sabbath?
5. What caused Roseanna's nervous breakdown?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Drenka after so long, suddenly demand that Sabbath be faithful to her?
2. How is Sabbath described in Part 1?
3. How is Drenka described in Part 1?
4. How does Sabbath make the decision to leave Roseanna?
5. Why does Sabbath live off of Roseanna's salary?
6. What role did Roseanna play in Sabbath's puppet theater?
7. Why does Norman Cowan call Sabbath at the beginning of Part 3?
8. What happened between Sabbath, Drenka, and Christa?
9. Why did Sabbath quit directing?
10. What happened at Sabbath's trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Sabbath mentions that all of the women in his life hated their fathers. Why do you think that is so? Why did a lack of paternal affection change them in a way that attracted them to Sabbath? What qualities did those women have that made them a target for Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Sabbath's "Indecent Theater" was well-known for its obscene material. Why did Sabbath chose indecency as his ultimate goal? What was he hoping to accomplish with his theater? Why did it make him feel fulfilled? Is there any other profession in which Sabbath would have been happy? If so, which one? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
At one point, Sabbath says that Norman is everything that Roseanna ever wanted in a husband. However, Sabbath does not have to work very hard to convince Michelle to have an affair with him. Why is that? What is Norman lacking that makes Michelle willing to have an affair with Sabbath? Would it be something about which Roseanna would not care? Or is Sabbath erroneous in his assessment of Norman? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)