|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following anti-Semitic comments does Nikki make to Sabbath after her mother's death?
2. In Part 2, why does Sabbath feel sorry for himself at Drenka's grave?
3. Under what type of government was Drenka raised?
4. Why does Sabbath think that Nikki committed suicide?
5. How does Sabbath recall Nikki?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Drenka described in Part 1?
2. How is Sabbath described in Part 1?
3. What transpired between Drenka and Barrett shortly before Drenka's death?
4. Why did Sabbath quit directing?
5. What does the spirit of Sabbath's mother say to him at the end of Part 4?
6. Why does Norman Cowan call Sabbath at the beginning of Part 3?
7. On what occasion did Sabbath first see Matija in public?
8. At the end of Chapter 3, what happens at Drenka's grave?
9. How did Nikki handle her mother's death?
10. What ultimatum is issued at the beginning of Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michelle repeatedly asks Sabbath why he always pushes people away. Does he ever answer her? Does he know the answer himself? Why or why not? What might be some reasons why Sabbath is so antisocial? Does he just not know how to interact with people? Is it because he is incapable of empathy? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Sabbath has been married twice: to Nikki, and then to Roseanna. What qualities do his two wives have in common? What attracted them to Sabbath? What attracted Sabbath to them? Why did Sabbath choose to marry them, despite the fact that he seems incapable of love? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Sabbath's "Indecent Theater" was well-known for its obscene material. Why did Sabbath chose indecency as his ultimate goal? What was he hoping to accomplish with his theater? Why did it make him feel fulfilled? Is there any other profession in which Sabbath would have been happy? If so, which one? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)