|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Matthew's profession?
2. Why did Barrett look uncomfortable at Drenka's funeral?
3. Which of the following did Drenka once ask Sabbath to do for Matija?
4. What attracted Drenka to her husband, Matija?
5. Who was Barrett?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sabbath described in Part 1?
2. In what political environment was Drenka raised?
3. How does Sabbath feel when Matija tells him about the sympathy cards that he received for Drenka's death?
4. What happened at Sabbath's trial?
5. Why does Norman Cowan call Sabbath at the beginning of Part 3?
6. What caused Matija to end his encounter with Sabbath abruptly, but politely?
7. Why did Sabbath choose to leave New York?
8. Why did Sabbath quit directing?
9. How did Sabbath meet Christa?
10. How does Sabbath make the decision to leave Roseanna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Michelle repeatedly asks Sabbath why he always pushes people away. Does he ever answer her? Does he know the answer himself? Why or why not? What might be some reasons why Sabbath is so antisocial? Does he just not know how to interact with people? Is it because he is incapable of empathy? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Christa and Drenka are both in similar situations when Sabbath meets them. What enables Sabbath to take advantage of them? How does each woman react to Sabbath? Why do they react differently? What makes them both attractive to Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Suicide is a prevalent theme in the course of the novel, and Sabbath considers the possibility of killing himself many times. Why does Sabbath want to, or feel that he should, commit suicide? What problems would Sabbath solve by killing himself? Why does he ultimately decide not to? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)