|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Roseanna hospitalized for in 1989?
2. How does Sabbath respond when Roseanna demands to know why he stayed with her when she was a drunk?
3. Why did Sabbath want Drenka to sleep with all of his friends?
4. In Part 2, why does Sabbath feel sorry for himself at Drenka's grave?
5. What personal crisis led to Roseanna's hospital stay in 1989?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Sabbath described in Part 1?
2. What ultimatum is issued at the beginning of Part 1?
3. What are some of the reasons that are detailed in Part 3 about Sabbath and his wife "hating" one another?
4. What profession does Sabbath think that he should have chosen in Part 3?
5. Why does Norman Cowan call Sabbath at the beginning of Part 3?
6. On what occasion did Sabbath first see Matija in public?
7. Why is Drenka unable to discuss Matthew's career with Matija?
8. Why did Sabbath quit directing?
9. What torments Sabbath after Drenka's death?
10. What does the spirit of Sabbath's mother say to him at the end of Part 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Sabbath says that Norman is everything that Roseanna ever wanted in a husband. However, Sabbath does not have to work very hard to convince Michelle to have an affair with him. Why is that? What is Norman lacking that makes Michelle willing to have an affair with Sabbath? Would it be something about which Roseanna would not care? Or is Sabbath erroneous in his assessment of Norman? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Sabbath has been married twice: to Nikki, and then to Roseanna. What qualities do his two wives have in common? What attracted them to Sabbath? What attracted Sabbath to them? Why did Sabbath choose to marry them, despite the fact that he seems incapable of love? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
A detailed account is given of the reasons why Sabbath and his wife, Roseanna, hate each other. How has their relationship changed since it began? Why? Why has neither of them left the other considering the state of their relationship? Sabbath thinks that he can make things right with Roseanna by showing her some affection. Do you agree? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)