|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sabbath recall Nikki?
2. What happened as a result of the favor that Drenka asked Sabbath to perform for Matija?
3. What attracted Drenka to her husband, Matija?
4. What is Sabbath's former profession?
5. Christa went to Madamaska Falls from which of the following cities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sabbath choose to leave New York?
2. What role did Roseanna play in Sabbath's puppet theater?
3. What torments Sabbath after Drenka's death?
4. What happened at Sabbath's trial?
5. Why is Drenka unable to discuss Matthew's career with Matija?
6. At the end of Part 2, who does Sabbath encounter at Drenka's grave?
7. What was the "Romance Run"?
8. What does Sabbath like and dislike about Roseanna's participation in Alcoholics Anonymous?
9. How did Nikki handle her mother's death?
10. What caused Matija to end his encounter with Sabbath abruptly, but politely?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At one point, Sabbath mentions that all of the women in his life hated their fathers. Why do you think that is so? Why did a lack of paternal affection change them in a way that attracted them to Sabbath? What qualities did those women have that made them a target for Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Sabbath details the dramatic change that his mother underwent when his brother, Morty, died. What happened to Sabbath's relationship with his mother, as a result of his brother's death? How did the dramatic change in Sabbath's relationship with his mother, and subsequent loss of maternal affection, affect his relationships with women later in life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Does Sabbath show any personal growth through the course of the novel? Does he change or mature in any way? If so, what is it? If not, why? Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not? In what ways does Sabbath choose his own fate? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)