|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sabbath respond when Roseanna demands to know why he stayed with her when she was a drunk?
2. What happened as a result of the favor that Drenka asked Sabbath to perform for Matija?
3. Which of the following did Drenka once ask Sabbath to do for Matija?
4. What does Sabbath dislike about Roseanna attending Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) group meetings?
5. As the novel opens, who issues an ultimatum to Sabbath?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event ended in Sabbath's arrest?
2. What was the "Romance Run"?
3. What happened at Sabbath's trial?
4. How is Drenka described in Part 1?
5. Why did Sabbath choose to leave New York?
6. What caused Matija to end his encounter with Sabbath abruptly, but politely?
7. How did Sabbath meet Christa?
8. How is Sabbath described in Part 1?
9. What does Sabbath like and dislike about Roseanna's participation in Alcoholics Anonymous?
10. Why was Drenka initially attracted to her husband, Matija?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Suicide is a prevalent theme in the course of the novel, and Sabbath considers the possibility of killing himself many times. Why does Sabbath want to, or feel that he should, commit suicide? What problems would Sabbath solve by killing himself? Why does he ultimately decide not to? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
It is obvious that Sabbath has a deep-seated hatred and lack of respect for women. How are his feelings displayed throughout the novel? Which interactions best reflect his feelings about women in general? Are there any exceptions to the rule, or women whom he respects, despite of their sex? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Christa and Drenka are both in similar situations when Sabbath meets them. What enables Sabbath to take advantage of them? How does each woman react to Sabbath? Why do they react differently? What makes them both attractive to Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)