|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did Drenka once ask Sabbath to do for Matija?
2. In Part 2, what does Sabbath say to Drenka's ghost while he is at her grave?
3. What does Sabbath blame for his inability to express his love for Drenka?
4. What was the first thing that triggered Roseanna's hatred for Sabbath?
5. What is Sabbath's former profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Drenka initially attracted to her husband, Matija?
2. On what occasion did Sabbath first see Matija in public?
3. Why does Sabbath live off of Roseanna's salary?
4. What caused Matija to end his encounter with Sabbath abruptly, but politely?
5. What are some of the reasons that are detailed in Part 3 about Sabbath and his wife "hating" one another?
6. What torments Sabbath after Drenka's death?
7. What does Sabbath like and dislike about Roseanna's participation in Alcoholics Anonymous?
8. What ultimatum is issued at the beginning of Part 1?
9. What happened at Sabbath's trial?
10. Why does Drenka after so long, suddenly demand that Sabbath be faithful to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Sabbath leaves home, Roseanna gets over him fairly quickly. In fact, within a few days' time, she has a new companion. Why are Roseanna and Christa attracted to one another? What is Christa able to provide, that Sabbath could not? What does that tell the reader about Roseanna's feelings for Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Christa and Drenka are both in similar situations when Sabbath meets them. What enables Sabbath to take advantage of them? How does each woman react to Sabbath? Why do they react differently? What makes them both attractive to Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Does Sabbath show any personal growth through the course of the novel? Does he change or mature in any way? If so, what is it? If not, why? Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not? In what ways does Sabbath choose his own fate? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)