|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, why is Sabbath angry with himself at Drenka's grave?
2. How does the spirit of Sabbath's mother respond when he asks her why he is still so concerned about Nikki's disappearance?
3. What did the woman in the house next to what Sabbath thought might be Nikki's, tell Sabbath?
4. What caused Roseanna's nervous breakdown?
5. At the beginning of Part 3, who calls Sabbath to give him the news about Linc?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sabbath choose to leave New York?
2. What event ended in Sabbath's arrest?
3. What does the spirit of Sabbath's mother say to him at the end of Part 4?
4. Why is Drenka unable to discuss Matthew's career with Matija?
5. How is Drenka described in Part 1?
6. At the end of Part 2, who does Sabbath encounter at Drenka's grave?
7. How is Sabbath described in Part 1?
8. How did Nikki handle her mother's death?
9. How did Sabbath meet Christa?
10. What does Sabbath like and dislike about Roseanna's participation in Alcoholics Anonymous?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sabbath didn't want a faithful, exclusive relationship with Drenka when she was alive, but he was tortured by jealousy after she died. What did her death change? Why did his attitude change so much? Why was he unwilling to admit to Drenka that he was already being faithful to her? Was his explanation, that no other women wanted him, accurate? Or was he just refusing to admit that he was being faithful by choice? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, most of what Sabbath says is framed as biting sarcasm. But how much truth underlies his type of "humor"? What is the author trying to accomplish by framing Sabbath's attitudes and comments in a sarcastic fashion? Is it to merely entertain the reader? Or is there other significance to that method? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The letters that Sabbath finds in the box of Morty's personal possessions mirror the ones that Roseanna's father had written to her before his suicide. What are some of the similarities between those two sets of letters? What are the significant differences? How is the manner in which Sabbath treats his brother's letters different from the way in which he treats the letters that were written by Roseanna's father? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)