|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Christa went to Madamaska Falls from which of the following cities?
2. In Part 3, what does Sabbath notice about his wife's looks?
3. Why does Sabbath think that Nikki committed suicide?
4. Which of the following did Drenka once ask Sabbath to do for Matija?
5. Who is Christa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the spirit of Sabbath's mother say to him at the end of Part 4?
2. Why did Sabbath choose to leave New York?
3. How is Sabbath described in Part 1?
4. In what political environment was Drenka raised?
5. What was the "Romance Run"?
6. What happened at Sabbath's trial?
7. How does Sabbath feel when Matija tells him about the sympathy cards that he received for Drenka's death?
8. What does Sabbath like and dislike about Roseanna's participation in Alcoholics Anonymous?
9. How is Drenka described in Part 1?
10. Why does Norman Cowan call Sabbath at the beginning of Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In most cases, Sabbath is completely oblivious to the emotions of the people around him. How does his lack of empathy affect those people? Why is he unable to discern the emotions of others? What consequences have befallen Sabbath as a result of his inability to empathize with others? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Sabbath details the dramatic change that his mother underwent when his brother, Morty, died. What happened to Sabbath's relationship with his mother, as a result of his brother's death? How did the dramatic change in Sabbath's relationship with his mother, and subsequent loss of maternal affection, affect his relationships with women later in life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Does Sabbath show any personal growth through the course of the novel? Does he change or mature in any way? If so, what is it? If not, why? Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not? In what ways does Sabbath choose his own fate? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)