|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, what does Sabbath say to Drenka's ghost while he is at her grave?
2. What does Sabbath dislike about Roseanna attending Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) group meetings?
3. How long has it been since Nikki disappeared?
4. What new emotion is Sabbath experiencing at the beginning of Part 2?
5. In what country was Drenka born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sabbath like and dislike about Roseanna's participation in Alcoholics Anonymous?
2. What role did Roseanna play in Sabbath's puppet theater?
3. On what occasion did Sabbath first see Matija in public?
4. How is Sabbath described in Part 1?
5. Why did Sabbath choose to leave New York?
6. What does the spirit of Sabbath's mother say to him at the end of Part 4?
7. What transpired between Drenka and Barrett shortly before Drenka's death?
8. What event ended in Sabbath's arrest?
9. Why is Drenka unable to discuss Matthew's career with Matija?
10. How did Sabbath meet Christa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, it is obvious that Sabbath is obsessed with sex. Why? Does Sabbath know of any other ways to be close to people? What is he seeking and hoping to gain via his sexual encounters with women? Is Sabbath conscious of the psychology that relates to his obsession with sex? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
When Sabbath leaves home, Roseanna gets over him fairly quickly. In fact, within a few days' time, she has a new companion. Why are Roseanna and Christa attracted to one another? What is Christa able to provide, that Sabbath could not? What does that tell the reader about Roseanna's feelings for Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Suicide is a prevalent theme in the course of the novel, and Sabbath considers the possibility of killing himself many times. Why does Sabbath want to, or feel that he should, commit suicide? What problems would Sabbath solve by killing himself? Why does he ultimately decide not to? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)