|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, why does Sabbath feel sorry for himself at Drenka's grave?
2. Who arrives and hits the person at Drenka's grave while Sabbath watches?
3. What does Sabbath blame for his inability to express his love for Drenka?
4. What is Sabbath's former profession?
5. How does Sabbath respond when Roseanna demands to know why he stayed with her when she was a drunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sabbath make the decision to leave Roseanna?
2. What torments Sabbath after Drenka's death?
3. What event ended in Sabbath's arrest?
4. How did Nikki handle her mother's death?
5. Why is Drenka unable to discuss Matthew's career with Matija?
6. What profession does Sabbath think that he should have chosen in Part 3?
7. What does Sabbath like and dislike about Roseanna's participation in Alcoholics Anonymous?
8. On what occasion did Sabbath first see Matija in public?
9. How is Drenka described in Part 1?
10. Why does Drenka after so long, suddenly demand that Sabbath be faithful to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A detailed account is given of the reasons why Sabbath and his wife, Roseanna, hate each other. How has their relationship changed since it began? Why? Why has neither of them left the other considering the state of their relationship? Sabbath thinks that he can make things right with Roseanna by showing her some affection. Do you agree? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
In most cases, Sabbath is completely oblivious to the emotions of the people around him. How does his lack of empathy affect those people? Why is he unable to discern the emotions of others? What consequences have befallen Sabbath as a result of his inability to empathize with others? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Does Sabbath show any personal growth through the course of the novel? Does he change or mature in any way? If so, what is it? If not, why? Is he a sympathetic character? Why or why not? In what ways does Sabbath choose his own fate? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)