|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sabbath think that Nikki committed suicide?
2. How did Sabbath and Nikki meet?
3. Who is Christa?
4. How did Sabbath run into Matija?
5. Why does Drenka discuss Matthew's career only with Sabbath?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sabbath feel when Matija tells him about the sympathy cards that he received for Drenka's death?
2. Why did Sabbath choose to leave New York?
3. What was the "Romance Run"?
4. What happened at Sabbath's trial?
5. How does Sabbath make the decision to leave Roseanna?
6. On what occasion did Sabbath first see Matija in public?
7. In what political environment was Drenka raised?
8. Why did Sabbath quit directing?
9. What ultimatum is issued at the beginning of Part 1?
10. What event ended in Sabbath's arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The letters that Sabbath finds in the box of Morty's personal possessions mirror the ones that Roseanna's father had written to her before his suicide. What are some of the similarities between those two sets of letters? What are the significant differences? How is the manner in which Sabbath treats his brother's letters different from the way in which he treats the letters that were written by Roseanna's father? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Christa and Drenka are both in similar situations when Sabbath meets them. What enables Sabbath to take advantage of them? How does each woman react to Sabbath? Why do they react differently? What makes them both attractive to Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, it is obvious that Sabbath is obsessed with sex. Why? Does Sabbath know of any other ways to be close to people? What is he seeking and hoping to gain via his sexual encounters with women? Is Sabbath conscious of the psychology that relates to his obsession with sex? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)