|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For which of the following crimes was Sabbath arrested in 1956?
2. What personal crisis led to Roseanna's hospital stay in 1989?
3. What happened when Scott Lewis got a prostitute for Drenka?
4. According to Norman, which of the following rumors did Linc never believe about Sabbath?
5. Christa was an immigrant from which of the following countries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What profession does Sabbath think that he should have chosen in Part 3?
2. How does Sabbath make the decision to leave Roseanna?
3. Why is Drenka unable to discuss Matthew's career with Matija?
4. Why did Sabbath choose to leave New York?
5. How did Sabbath meet Christa?
6. What happened at Sabbath's trial?
7. How is Sabbath described in Part 1?
8. What does Sabbath like and dislike about Roseanna's participation in Alcoholics Anonymous?
9. How did Nikki handle her mother's death?
10. How does Sabbath feel when Matija tells him about the sympathy cards that he received for Drenka's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A detailed account is given of the reasons why Sabbath and his wife, Roseanna, hate each other. How has their relationship changed since it began? Why? Why has neither of them left the other considering the state of their relationship? Sabbath thinks that he can make things right with Roseanna by showing her some affection. Do you agree? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Christa and Drenka are both in similar situations when Sabbath meets them. What enables Sabbath to take advantage of them? How does each woman react to Sabbath? Why do they react differently? What makes them both attractive to Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Sabbath details the dramatic change that his mother underwent when his brother, Morty, died. What happened to Sabbath's relationship with his mother, as a result of his brother's death? How did the dramatic change in Sabbath's relationship with his mother, and subsequent loss of maternal affection, affect his relationships with women later in life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)