|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Barrett stop speaking to Drenka before her death?
2. Sabbath often feels the presence of which of his departed relatives?
3. Why does Sabbath think that Nikki committed suicide?
4. What does Drenka's husband do for a living?
5. What does Sabbath blame for his inability to express his love for Drenka?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event ended in Sabbath's arrest?
2. Why is Drenka unable to discuss Matthew's career with Matija?
3. How is Drenka described in Part 1?
4. What was the "Romance Run"?
5. What are some of the reasons that are detailed in Part 3 about Sabbath and his wife "hating" one another?
6. On what occasion did Sabbath first see Matija in public?
7. How does Sabbath feel when Matija tells him about the sympathy cards that he received for Drenka's death?
8. What does the spirit of Sabbath's mother say to him at the end of Part 4?
9. What role did Roseanna play in Sabbath's puppet theater?
10. At the end of Chapter 3, what happens at Drenka's grave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sabbath describes his time on the "Romance Run" as some of the best years of his life. How did participating in the "Romance Run" at such an impressionable age affect Sabbath's personal development? Why? Would the "Romance Run" have had less of an impact on Sabbath if he had participated in it at a less crucial time in his personal development? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Sabbath lost all interest in directing when Nikki disappeared. Why? What was so different about directing when he no longer had Nikki as his leading lady? Would Sabbath have continued to direct if Nikki had stayed? Would there have been any future in it for him? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
In most cases, Sabbath is completely oblivious to the emotions of the people around him. How does his lack of empathy affect those people? Why is he unable to discern the emotions of others? What consequences have befallen Sabbath as a result of his inability to empathize with others? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)