|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sabbath think that Drenka is not attracted to her husband?
2. How does Sabbath respond when Roseanna demands to know why he stayed with her when she was a drunk?
3. Why do the embalmers get impatient with Nikki after her mother's death?
4. What does Sabbath blame for his inability to express his love for Drenka?
5. How does the spirit of Sabbath's mother respond when he asks her why he is still so concerned about Nikki's disappearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Drenka described in Part 1?
2. Why does Sabbath live off of Roseanna's salary?
3. On what occasion did Sabbath first see Matija in public?
4. Why did Sabbath quit directing?
5. Why did Sabbath choose to leave New York?
6. What event ended in Sabbath's arrest?
7. Why does Norman Cowan call Sabbath at the beginning of Part 3?
8. How does Sabbath feel when Matija tells him about the sympathy cards that he received for Drenka's death?
9. Why was Drenka initially attracted to her husband, Matija?
10. What does the spirit of Sabbath's mother say to him at the end of Part 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Christa and Drenka are both in similar situations when Sabbath meets them. What enables Sabbath to take advantage of them? How does each woman react to Sabbath? Why do they react differently? What makes them both attractive to Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Sabbath details the dramatic change that his mother underwent when his brother, Morty, died. What happened to Sabbath's relationship with his mother, as a result of his brother's death? How did the dramatic change in Sabbath's relationship with his mother, and subsequent loss of maternal affection, affect his relationships with women later in life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
A detailed account is given of the reasons why Sabbath and his wife, Roseanna, hate each other. How has their relationship changed since it began? Why? Why has neither of them left the other considering the state of their relationship? Sabbath thinks that he can make things right with Roseanna by showing her some affection. Do you agree? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)