|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sabbath think that Drenka is not attracted to her husband?
2. What caused Roseanna's nervous breakdown?
3. In Part 3, what does Sabbath notice about his wife's looks?
4. Why does Roseanna hate Sabbath now?
5. Who is Roseanna?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ultimatum is issued at the beginning of Part 1?
2. What are some of the reasons that are detailed in Part 3 about Sabbath and his wife "hating" one another?
3. How is Sabbath described in Part 1?
4. Why does Drenka after so long, suddenly demand that Sabbath be faithful to her?
5. How does Sabbath make the decision to leave Roseanna?
6. At the end of Part 2, who does Sabbath encounter at Drenka's grave?
7. Why did Sabbath choose to leave New York?
8. What role did Roseanna play in Sabbath's puppet theater?
9. At the end of Chapter 3, what happens at Drenka's grave?
10. On what occasion did Sabbath first see Matija in public?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, it is obvious that Sabbath is obsessed with sex. Why? Does Sabbath know of any other ways to be close to people? What is he seeking and hoping to gain via his sexual encounters with women? Is Sabbath conscious of the psychology that relates to his obsession with sex? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Michelle repeatedly asks Sabbath why he always pushes people away. Does he ever answer her? Does he know the answer himself? Why or why not? What might be some reasons why Sabbath is so antisocial? Does he just not know how to interact with people? Is it because he is incapable of empathy? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
In most cases, Sabbath is completely oblivious to the emotions of the people around him. How does his lack of empathy affect those people? Why is he unable to discern the emotions of others? What consequences have befallen Sabbath as a result of his inability to empathize with others? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)