|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Part 2, what does Sabbath say to Drenka's ghost while he is at her grave?
2. Who was Ron Metzer?
3. Christa went to Madamaska Falls from which of the following cities?
4. Why do the embalmers get impatient with Nikki after her mother's death?
5. How did Sabbath run into Matija?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sabbath make the decision to leave Roseanna?
2. Why does Sabbath live off of Roseanna's salary?
3. What ultimatum is issued at the beginning of Part 1?
4. How does Sabbath feel when Matija tells him about the sympathy cards that he received for Drenka's death?
5. What was the "Romance Run"?
6. What happened at Sabbath's trial?
7. Why is Drenka unable to discuss Matthew's career with Matija?
8. At the end of Chapter 3, what happens at Drenka's grave?
9. In what political environment was Drenka raised?
10. What happened between Sabbath, Drenka, and Christa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sabbath's "Indecent Theater" was well-known for its obscene material. Why did Sabbath chose indecency as his ultimate goal? What was he hoping to accomplish with his theater? Why did it make him feel fulfilled? Is there any other profession in which Sabbath would have been happy? If so, which one? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
When Sabbath leaves home, Roseanna gets over him fairly quickly. In fact, within a few days' time, she has a new companion. Why are Roseanna and Christa attracted to one another? What is Christa able to provide, that Sabbath could not? What does that tell the reader about Roseanna's feelings for Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
It is obvious that Sabbath has a deep-seated hatred and lack of respect for women. How are his feelings displayed throughout the novel? Which interactions best reflect his feelings about women in general? Are there any exceptions to the rule, or women whom he respects, despite of their sex? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)