|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the woman in the house next to what Sabbath thought might be Nikki's, tell Sabbath?
2. Over the years, Sabbath has encouraged Drenka to do which of the following?
3. What surprised Matija enough to cause him to end his conversation with Sabbath?
4. How old was Sabbath when he first set up his own theater?
5. In Part 2, what does Sabbath say to Drenka's ghost while he is at her grave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What event ended in Sabbath's arrest?
2. What profession does Sabbath think that he should have chosen in Part 3?
3. Why does Drenka after so long, suddenly demand that Sabbath be faithful to her?
4. What caused Matija to end his encounter with Sabbath abruptly, but politely?
5. How is Sabbath described in Part 1?
6. What does the spirit of Sabbath's mother say to him at the end of Part 4?
7. At the end of Part 2, who does Sabbath encounter at Drenka's grave?
8. How does Sabbath make the decision to leave Roseanna?
9. What does Sabbath like and dislike about Roseanna's participation in Alcoholics Anonymous?
10. Why does Norman Cowan call Sabbath at the beginning of Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A detailed account is given of the reasons why Sabbath and his wife, Roseanna, hate each other. How has their relationship changed since it began? Why? Why has neither of them left the other considering the state of their relationship? Sabbath thinks that he can make things right with Roseanna by showing her some affection. Do you agree? Why or why not? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
At one point, Sabbath mentions that all of the women in his life hated their fathers. Why do you think that is so? Why did a lack of paternal affection change them in a way that attracted them to Sabbath? What qualities did those women have that made them a target for Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
When Sabbath leaves home, Roseanna gets over him fairly quickly. In fact, within a few days' time, she has a new companion. Why are Roseanna and Christa attracted to one another? What is Christa able to provide, that Sabbath could not? What does that tell the reader about Roseanna's feelings for Sabbath? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 1,030 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)