|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused Roseanna's nervous breakdown?
(a) A miscarriage.
(b) Sabbath's affair with a student.
(c) Her mother's death.
(d) Sabbath's career loss.
2. In Part 2, why is Sabbath angry with himself at Drenka's grave?
(a) For not having killed Matija.
(b) For not having left Roseanna to be with Drenka.
(c) For having continued his affair with Drenka despite the toll on his marriage.
(d) For not having told Drenka how he felt.
3. How does Sabbath feel now that Drenka is dead?
(a) He is tortured by the memories of the other men with whom she slept .
(b) He is upset that he no longer has an outlet for his libido.
(c) He is depressed and suicidal, because he realizes that he never told her how much he loved her.
(d) He is relieved that he is no longer in danger of being discovered.
4. Sabbath often feels the presence of which of his departed relatives?
(b) His mother.
(c) His stillborn sister.
(d) His father.
5. What does Sabbath think Roseanna uses as an excuse to delay leaving him?
(a) Her fear of being alone.
(b) Her inability to function on her own.
(c) Her lack of money and a place to go.
(d) The abuse she suffered at the hands of her father.
6. How does the spirit of Sabbath's mother respond when he asks her why he is still so concerned about Nikki's disappearance?
(a) By saying that he needs closure, and wants to know why she left.
(b) By saying that he has thought about it for so long, and still does not know anything.
(c) By saying that he is a perfectionist and cannot accept the idea that he cannot find her.
(d) By saying that he never liked to leave things unfinished.
7. Why do the embalmers get impatient with Nikki after her mother's death?
(a) Because she insists on overseeing every aspect of the process.
(b) Because she will not part with the corpse.
(c) Because she is not satisfied with any aspect of their work.
(d) Because she is controlling and wants them to do things that are out of the ordinary.
8. Why does Sabbath only visit Drenka's grave at night?
(a) He does not want Roseanna to become suspicious.
(b) He does not want anyone to be able to identify him if they see him there.
(c) He does not like being in graveyards during the day.
(d) He is afraid that he will run into her son or one of her many lovers.
9. In Part 3, what does Sabbath notice about his wife's looks?
(a) That she has aged dramatically.
(b) That she does not possess fashion sense.
(c) That she looks younger than him.
(d) That she has regained her good-looks since she has stopped drinking.
10. Why does Roseanna hate Sabbath now?
(a) He will not move with her, so that she can be closer to her family.
(b) Because he has not touched her sexually in ten years, and is bitter about his career.
(c) He will not grant her a divorce.
(d) He will not allow her to see his son.
11. Which of the following forms did Christa learn in an effort to become a "true American"?
12. Why was Drenka hurt when Barrett stopped speaking to her?
(a) Because she did not feel that she had done anything wrong.
(b) Because she expected him to treat her more lovingly.
(c) Because she saw Sabbath less afterward.
(d) Because he never told her why.
13. What was Roseanna hospitalized for in 1989?
(a) Overdosing on painkillers.
(b) Psychological problems.
(c) Going on a drinking binge.
(d) Attempting to commit suicide.
14. How do the people at Linc's office feel about what happened to him?
15. How did Sabbath persuade Christa to allow him to come to her house?
(a) He told her that he could get her a job.
(b) He pretended to be a plumber.
(c) He posed as a police officer.
(d) He offered to buy one of her pieces of art.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over the years, Sabbath has encouraged Drenka to do which of the following?
2. Who is Christa?
3. Who is Roseanna?
4. Christa was an immigrant from which of the following countries?
5. Why did Barrett stop speaking to Drenka before her death?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)