|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the woman in the house next to what Sabbath thought might be Nikki's, tell Sabbath?
(a) That Nikki left because Sabbath beat her.
(b) That Nikki used to live next to her, but disappeared.
(c) That she did not know who Nikki was.
(d) That Nikki left because Sabbath drank too much.
2. Sabbath often feels the presence of which of his departed relatives?
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His stillborn sister.
3. Why does Matija's story about the sympathy cards that he received after Drenka's death upset Sabbath?
(a) Because Sabbath is jealous that he did not receive any sympathy cards after the death of his first wife, Nikki.
(b) Because Sabbath is angry on account of Matija not having known Drenka as well as he did, and does not deserve the sympathy.
(c) Because Sabbath is jealous that he did not receive any sympathy cards after Drenka's death.
(d) Because Sabbath is guilty due to Matija's genuine sadness over his wife's death.
4. What happened when Scott Lewis got a prostitute for Drenka?
(a) Drenka was unhappy, and the prostitute was angry.
(b) Drenka was happy, but the prostitute was not.
(c) All three of them enjoyed themselves.
(d) Scott was angry, and Drenka was crying.
5. What is Sabbath's former profession?
6. What caused Roseanna's nervous breakdown?
(a) Her mother's death.
(b) Sabbath's career loss.
(c) Sabbath's affair with a student.
(d) A miscarriage.
7. Which of the following anti-Semitic comments does Nikki make to Sabbath after her mother's death?
(a) She accuses Sabbath of not wanting to pay for a nice funeral because he is Jewish and cheap.
(b) She says that her mother died heartbroken because Nikki married a Jew.
(c) She makes fun of Sabbath for wearing a yarmulke during the funeral.
(d) She says that it is cold of the Jews to bury their dead so quickly.
8. Over the years, Sabbath has encouraged Drenka to do which of the following?
(a) Sleep with other men and tell him the details.
(b) Have his child.
(c) Leave her husband and marry him.
(d) Run away with him to another country.
9. Why was Sabbath attracted to Roseanna?
(a) Because she did not seem as interested in him as he was in her.
(b) Because she was rich, and her father was powerful.
(c) Because she was confident and capable.
(d) Because she was good-looking, and a great dancer.
10. Christa went to Madamaska Falls from which of the following cities?
(c) New York City.
11. Why was Drenka hurt when Barrett stopped speaking to her?
(a) Because she expected him to treat her more lovingly.
(b) Because she did not feel that she had done anything wrong.
(c) Because he never told her why.
(d) Because she saw Sabbath less afterward.
12. How did Sabbath's brother, Morty, die?
(a) He was killed during a mugging.
(b) He had a terminal illness.
(c) He was stillborn.
(d) He was shot down in World War II.
13. As the novel opens, who issues an ultimatum to Sabbath?
(a) His mistress.
(b) His son.
(c) His brother.
(d) His father.
14. What does Sabbath think Roseanna uses as an excuse to delay leaving him?
(a) Her inability to function on her own.
(b) Her lack of money and a place to go.
(c) Her fear of being alone.
(d) The abuse she suffered at the hands of her father.
15. In Part 3, what does Sabbath notice about his wife's looks?
(a) That she does not possess fashion sense.
(b) That she has aged dramatically.
(c) That she looks younger than him.
(d) That she has regained her good-looks since she has stopped drinking.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sabbath think that Drenka is not attracted to her husband?
2. How did Sabbath run into Matija?
3. What personal crisis led to Roseanna's hospital stay in 1989?
4. In what way was Nikki different when she was on stage?
5. What did Christa say to Sabbath the last time she saw him?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)