|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Barrett?
(a) Matija's assistant.
(b) Drenka's son with Sabbath.
(c) Drenka's last conquest.
(d) Silvija's brother.
2. Which of the following is the ultimatum issued to Sabbath?
(a) To be faithful, or their relationship will end.
(b) To get a job, or they will be divorced.
(c) To stop gambling, or he will be involuntarily committed.
(d) To stop drinking, or move out.
3. How long has it been since Nikki disappeared?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 30 years.
(c) 40 years.
(d) 10 years.
4. Why was Sabbath attracted to Roseanna?
(a) Because she was good-looking, and a great dancer.
(b) Because she was confident and capable.
(c) Because she did not seem as interested in him as he was in her.
(d) Because she was rich, and her father was powerful.
5. What does Sabbath blame for his inability to express his love for Drenka?
(a) His upbringing.
(b) His personality.
(c) His wife.
(d) His friends.
6. In Part 2, why does Sabbath feel sorry for himself at Drenka's grave?
(a) Because he is in a loveless marriage.
(b) Because no one in town would believe that he was capable of love.
(c) Because Roseanna is not able to allay his grief.
(d) Because he did not receive any sympathy for Drenka's death.
7. What is Matthew's profession?
(c) Police officer.
8. Why do the embalmers get impatient with Nikki after her mother's death?
(a) Because she is controlling and wants them to do things that are out of the ordinary.
(b) Because she will not part with the corpse.
(c) Because she is not satisfied with any aspect of their work.
(d) Because she insists on overseeing every aspect of the process.
9. Who is Lincoln ("Linc") Gelman?
(a) Sabbath's nephew.
(b) Sabbath's long-time friend.
(c) One of Drenka's lovers.
(d) Roseanna's cousin.
10. As the novel opens, who issues an ultimatum to Sabbath?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His mistress.
(d) His son.
11. Why does Sabbath think that Drenka is not attracted to her husband?
(a) Because of his age.
(b) Because of his weight.
(c) Because he has lost his fortune.
(d) Because of the monogamous nature of their relationship.
12. Why did Sabbath want Drenka to sleep with all of his friends?
(a) Because he wanted to be sure that she met with their approval.
(b) Because she did not want to, and he enjoyed that.
(c) Because he enjoyed having control over her, and making her do what he wanted.
(d) Because he took pride in showing her off.
13. Why does Matija's story about the sympathy cards that he received after Drenka's death upset Sabbath?
(a) Because Sabbath is angry on account of Matija not having known Drenka as well as he did, and does not deserve the sympathy.
(b) Because Sabbath is jealous that he did not receive any sympathy cards after the death of his first wife, Nikki.
(c) Because Sabbath is guilty due to Matija's genuine sadness over his wife's death.
(d) Because Sabbath is jealous that he did not receive any sympathy cards after Drenka's death.
14. How did Sabbath run into Matija?
(a) At the police station.
(b) At a corporate function.
(c) While grocery shopping.
(d) In a car accident.
15. Why did Sabbath stop directing?
(a) Because he was not allowed to make the radical changes that he wanted to make.
(b) Because it was not exciting without Nikki as his leading lady.
(c) Because too many actors refused to work with him.
(d) Because he lost his job by spending all of his time searching for Nikki.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new emotion is Sabbath experiencing at the beginning of Part 2?
2. Who is Silvija?
3. How does Sabbath respond when Roseanna demands to know why he stayed with her when she was a drunk?
4. In what way was Nikki different when she was on stage?
5. What finally makes Sabbath decide to leave Roseanna?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)