|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following did Drenka once ask Sabbath to do for Matija?
(a) To find him a job.
(b) To proofread a written speech.
(c) To help him build a better relationship with Matthew.
(d) To help him do his taxes.
2. What new emotion is Sabbath experiencing at the beginning of Part 2?
3. As the novel opens, who issues an ultimatum to Sabbath?
(a) His son.
(b) His father.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mistress.
4. Why did Nikki hate her father?
(a) Becaue he was an alcoholic and a gambler, who was unfaithful to her mother.
(b) Because he molested Nikki when she was a teenager.
(c) Because he killed her pet dog.
(d) Because he was violent and abusive.
5. Why does Drenka discuss Matthew's career only with Sabbath?
(a) Because Matija is disappointed that his son has become a police officer.
(b) Because Drenka does not talk to her other family members much.
(c) Because Sabbath understands because he used to be in the same profession.
(d) Because Sabbath is the only one who knows that Drenka still talks to Matthew.
6. How does Sabbath scare Scott Lewis away from Drenka's grave?
(a) He shoots at him.
(b) He barks like a dog.
(c) He throws a large rock at him.
(d) He runs out yelling from behind a tree.
7. Over the years, Sabbath has encouraged Drenka to do which of the following?
(a) Sleep with other men and tell him the details.
(b) Have his child.
(c) Run away with him to another country.
(d) Leave her husband and marry him.
8. How did Sabbath's brother, Morty, die?
(a) He was shot down in World War II.
(b) He was stillborn.
(c) He had a terminal illness.
(d) He was killed during a mugging.
9. How does Sabbath recall Nikki?
(a) As a person who was very happy publicly, but miserable privately.
(b) As a nervous, high-strung girl who jumped at the slightest provocation.
(c) As a drug addict with no control over her life.
(d) As a solemn, thoughtful girl.
10. Why did Barrett look uncomfortable at Drenka's funeral?
(a) Because he disliked several people who were present.
(b) Because he knew that Sabbath was aware of his affair with Drenka.
(c) Because dead bodies made him very uncomfortable.
(d) Because he was there with his pregnant wife.
11. Who is Lincoln ("Linc") Gelman?
(a) Sabbath's long-time friend.
(b) One of Drenka's lovers.
(c) Roseanna's cousin.
(d) Sabbath's nephew.
12. Sabbath often feels the presence of which of his departed relatives?
(a) His stillborn sister.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
13. What happened when Scott Lewis got a prostitute for Drenka?
(a) Drenka was unhappy, and the prostitute was angry.
(b) All three of them enjoyed themselves.
(c) Drenka was happy, but the prostitute was not.
(d) Scott was angry, and Drenka was crying.
14. What finally makes Sabbath decide to leave Roseanna?
(a) He realizes that she would not be able to endure his suicide.
(b) He realizes that she will never have the courage to leave him.
(c) She refuses to stop trying to correct the problems in their marriage.
(d) She has a relapse and starts drinking again.
15. In Part 4, what does Sabbath think that his mother's spirit is encouraging him to do?
(a) Find Nikki.
(b) Reconcile with Roseanna.
(c) Visit Drenka one last time.
(d) Commit suicide.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the spirit of Sabbath's mother respond when he asks her why he is still so concerned about Nikki's disappearance?
2. What was Sabbath's mother always doing?
3. Why did Barrett stop speaking to Drenka before her death?
4. According to Norman, which of the following rumors did Linc never believe about Sabbath?
5. In Part 2, why does Sabbath feel sorry for himself at Drenka's grave?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)