Book 1, Part 1
• Sabbath is confronted by Drenka, his mistress. She demands that he be faithful, or she will end their affair of 13 years.
• Drenka is the wife of the local innkeeper, and is loved by many in her community. Sabbath is a failed puppeteer who missed his big chance when he declined an offer to work on Sesame Street. Roseanna, Sabbath's wife, frequently reminds him of the missed opportunity, but he does not really care, because he would not have been happy with that job.
• Roseanna was committed to a psychiatric hospital in 1989, after Sabbath was charged with sexually harassing a young woman.
• Sabbath tells Drenka that she is no longer attracted to her husband because monogamy is boring.
• Sabbath describes Drenka as an Italian-looking Croatian, short and full-figured. Drenka was raised in Communist Croatia, and taught to love and fear their dictator.
• Drenka met her husband...
This section contains 5,987 words
(approx. 20 pages at 300 words per page)