|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hoover get the assistance of Moton?
2. Who does Hoover seek assistance from to redevelop the Delta region?
3. The total amount of claims between St. Bernard and Plaquemines is $35 million. How much do these parishes receive between the two of them at the end?
4. What does the New Orleans' financial elite spend a lot of time doing?
5. What could be a huge force in politics in the 1920's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the possible reasons for the crops not growing?
2. Why does the author describe the refugee camps in such detail in conjunction with the increase in flooded areas?
3. What is the basis of the new corporation Hoover starts in Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi?
4. Why do LeRoy Percy and his son, William Percy, not see things the same way?
5. In September, what has much of the flood waters done to the area?
6. What effects the lengths of the food stages?
7. Why is the relationship Hoover has with Moton crucial?
8. How does the flood relief become more organized under the order of Hoover?
9. Although William Percy hates war, he fights in WWI and emerges a hero. What does this tell the reader about William's character?
10. How does Will Percy declaring a martial law in Greenville go against everything his father believes in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is repeated that Hoover needed the support of the black community to run for president, yet at this time, they did not have the right to vote. Why was the support of the black community crucial to Hoover? Why did he make promises he couldn't keep? Why did Moton continue to support him even though he realized Hoover is full of empty promises?
Essay Topic 2
Personification is giving a nonliving object characteristics of something that is alive. How is personification used to describe the river? Why would it be used this way? What was the reasoning behind the flooding when using personification?
Essay Topic 3
Discrimination was a major aspect of the novel. Compare and contrast how LeRoy Percy wished the blacks to be treated to how they were treated in the area. How did the action and the idea conflict? Why was this an important conflict in this time in history?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)