|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What breaks the relationship between the Percy family and the black community?
(a) Will attacks the black community for refusing to work.
(b) The Percy's didn't defend the black community.
(c) It was discovered that the Percy family is racist.
(d) LeRoy went back on all his promises.
2. What fraction of the crops planted are actually harvested?
(a) None of them.
(b) Less than 1/4.
(c) About a 1/2.
(d) All of them.
3. How have cutoffs changed?
(a) They decreased the flow of the river.
(b) They changed the path of the river.
(c) They shortened the river and increased its flow.
(d) They lengthened the river.
4. Why do the citizens of the Delta area begin to resent Butler?
(a) He was a nasty man.
(b) He was robbing everyone.
(c) He was a con artist.
(d) He was successful and the person limiting reimbursements.
5. What are the refugee camps referred to at the time of the floods in the Delta?
(b) Luxury resorts.
(d) Concentration camps.
6. What do Simpson and the others do to find a solution to the compensation problem?
(a) They fire Butler.
(b) They try to raise more money.
(c) They have public and private talks with Butler.
(d) They donate the money from the City of New Orleans.
7. Who primarily establishes the legislature to alter the river?
(a) The President of the United States
(b) The Tri-State Flood Control Committee.
(d) The Mississippi River Committee.
8. What does Hoover promise the blacks?
(a) The right to vote.
(b) Resettlement funds.
(c) Equal paying jobs.
(d) Equal treatment to whites.
9. What could be a huge force in politics in the 1920's?
(a) The female vote.
(b) The black vote.
(c) Child labor laws.
10. In an effort to save Greenville, William Percy is determine to fix the levee. After several council meetings with this as the main topic, what is decided?
(a) The blacks will be forced to fix the levee with no pay.
(b) A company will be hired to build a completely new levee.
(c) Everyone in the refugee camp will be paid to fix the levee.
(d) They will not fix the levee at all.
11. On average, how many people are the refugee camps designed to hold?
(b) 1 million.
12. Why was a concrete spillway built?
(a) To make a lake.
(b) To allow water to flow into Lake Pontchartrain.
(c) To slow down the river.
(d) To make a dam.
13. How is William Percy different than his father, LeRoy?
(a) He is a racist.
(b) He is more understanding.
(c) He is more of a leader.
(d) He prefers books and poetry to hunting and business.
14. What does Hoover organize in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi during the 1927 floods?
(a) New local governments in all three states.
(b) A separate reconstruction corporation.
(c) A local Red Cross in each state.
15. What do the people suffer from long after the flood?
(c) Monetary issues.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hoover manage to import boats to the area?
2. How does the levee camp become a slave camp?
3. What is significant about the piece of legislature allowing the structural change in the river?
4. How does Butler limit payments to the people in the southern parishes?
5. What causes the areas to the west of Louisiana to flood?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)