|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What breaks the relationship between the Percy family and the black community?
(a) The Percy's didn't defend the black community.
(b) Will attacks the black community for refusing to work.
(c) It was discovered that the Percy family is racist.
(d) LeRoy went back on all his promises.
2. What served as an admission that the levees only system was a failure?
(a) Building more jetties.
(b) Blowing up the levee south of New Orleans.
(c) Opening all the crevasses.
(d) Blowing up the levee west of New Orleans.
3. Whose vote did Hoover lose in the election for president?
(a) All the blacks.
(b) All the poor whites.
(c) All white Republicans.
(d) The black Republicans.
4. What does Hoover organize in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi during the 1927 floods?
(a) New local governments in all three states.
(c) A separate reconstruction corporation.
(d) A local Red Cross in each state.
5. Who receives large bonuses for the work they did during the floods?
(a) Butler's hatchet men.
(b) The Percy family.
(c) The workers who fixed the levees.
(d) The people at the Red Cross.
6. For what does Moton have to "deflect" criticism for?
(a) The distribution of food and water.
(b) The distribution of money.
(c) Ensuring blacks receive paying jobs.
(d) The rebuilding of the black communities.
7. During Christmastime in 1929, why are the Greenville whites in public mourning?
(a) The KKK has returned.
(b) Their city is still in shambles.
(c) Governor Simpson was defeated.
(d) LeRoy Percy has died.
8. What does rebuilding in the Delta area lead to?
(a) Racial discrimination and political corruption.
(b) More jobs is the area.
(c) The Delta region returning to normal.
(d) The Delta region being a happier place.
9. How does William Percy gain his reputation?
(a) Through his role in politics.
(b) Through his poetry.
(c) From his public speaking skills.
(d) As a painter.
10. In 1928, what are the blacks in the Delta region doing?
(a) Being slaves.
(b) Starting their own farms.
(c) Leaving the area.
(d) Living peacefully with the whites.
11. Although he hates the idea of war, what does William decide to do?
(a) Support the President's idea to send soldiers to fight.
(b) Help train the soldiers.
(c) Become a medic for the war.
(d) Fight in WWI.
12. What is a widespread problem in St. Bernard and Plaquemines?
13. In the fall, what comes after the flood?
(a) A drought, insects and worms, and an early freeze.
(b) A heat wave.
14. What do the people suffer from long after the flood?
(a) Monetary issues.
15. What makes the racial tensions obvious in Greenville?
(a) The whites kept the food and sold the supplies.
(b) There are racial attacks.
(c) Only the whites have to go to work.
(d) The blacks are being treated like royalty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes the areas to the west of Louisiana to flood?
2. With whom does LeRoy Percy Sr. prefer to have a relationship with rather than William?
3. Who is very aware of Butler's actions regarding the allocation of funds to the southern parishes?
4. What has Coolidge done for the flooded areas in 1927?
5. Who does Hoover seek assistance from to redevelop the Delta region?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)