|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hoover's main response to the Greenville situation?
(a) He asked the President for help.
(b) He dontated money himself.
(c) He went into damage control.
(d) He ignored it.
2. Who remains in Greenville after the news of the coming floodwaters is announced?
(a) The blacks, the poor whites and the business leaders.
(b) Just the poor whites.
(c) Just the blacks.
(d) Just the business leaders.
3. Hoover speaks to the black community to ease tempers. How does the black community respond?
(a) With anger.
(b) Not at all.
(c) With happiness.
(d) In a non-violent protest.
4. On average, how many people are the refugee camps designed to hold?
(c) 1 million.
5. Who is the obvious candidate for presidency when Coolidge declines a bid for reelection?
(c) LeRoy Percy.
6. How have cutoffs changed?
(a) They lengthened the river.
(b) They decreased the flow of the river.
(c) They shortened the river and increased its flow.
(d) They changed the path of the river.
7. Why does Hoover need a good reputation with the blacks?
(a) To win the presidency.
(b) To put an end to the Klan.
(c) To stop racial discrimination.
(d) To make the Delta recover more quickly.
8. How does the black population respond to the decision made by the council?
(a) They protested.
(b) They offered to organize work parties.
(c) They started a riot.
(d) They boycotted.
9. What causes the areas to the west of Louisiana to flood?
(a) A crevasse widened.
(b) A hurricane.
(c) Constant rain.
(d) The failure of the levee at Cabin Teele.
10. Where are thousands of people living after the floods?
(a) Still in their houses.
(b) In trees and on rooftops.
(c) In different states.
(d) In shelters.
11. How do black leaders respond to the treatment of the blacks in Greenville?
(a) They urge Hoover to fix it.
(b) They accept it.
(c) They protest.
(d) They burn down Hoover's house.
12. What is a widespread problem in St. Bernard and Plaquemines?
13. What does Hoover develop a new committee to do after the 1927 floods?
(a) Rebuild the area.
(b) Find food for the area.
(c) Find ways to deal with future floods and eliminate damage.
(d) Take care of the sick people.
14. A year after the flooding at Mounds Landing, how many people were the Red Cross still feeding?
15. In May of 1927, what is the state of the Mississippi River?
(a) It is below its normal level.
(b) It is still in flood mode.
(c) It has receded to normal state.
(d) It has slowed down greatly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Will's position during the floods of 1927?
2. Who receives large bonuses for the work they did during the floods?
3. Who is very aware of Butler's actions regarding the allocation of funds to the southern parishes?
4. What do Simpson and the others do to find a solution to the compensation problem?
5. What happens as the rain continues to fall in the Delta area?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)