|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On average, how many people are the refugee camps designed to hold?
(c) 1 million.
2. What makes Hoover a hero in 1927?
(a) His role during the flood.
(b) His skills as an engineer.
(c) His honesty to the people of the Delta region.
(d) His generosity to the refugees.
3. What is significant about the piece of legislature allowing the structural change in the river?
(a) It is the cheapest one congress enacts.
(b) It is the longest one congress enacts.
(c) It is the shortest one congress enacts.
(d) It will be the most expensive one Congress enacts.
4. What makes the racial tensions obvious in Greenville?
(a) There are racial attacks.
(b) The blacks are being treated like royalty.
(c) Only the whites have to go to work.
(d) The whites kept the food and sold the supplies.
5. What could be a huge force in politics in the 1920's?
(a) The black vote.
(b) Child labor laws.
(c) The female vote.
6. How does Butler ensure the city of New Orleans will not face legal actions?
(a) He makes sure the city does nothing wrong.
(b) He threatens any lawyers that could be hired.
(c) He threatens the people from suing them.
(d) He hires the best lawyers to represent the city.
7. What happens in June of 1927?
(a) A giant fire destroys New Orleans.
(b) A hurricane hits the area.
(c) Coolidge is impeached.
(d) A second flood crest moves down the river.
8. What happens as the rain continues to fall in the Delta area?
(a) The Mississippi River gets longer.
(b) Crevases widen.
(c) A waterfall develops at the bottom of the Mississippi.
(d) Multiple levees continue to fail.
9. How have cutoffs changed?
(a) They shortened the river and increased its flow.
(b) They changed the path of the river.
(c) They lengthened the river.
(d) They decreased the flow of the river.
10. During Christmastime in 1929, why are the Greenville whites in public mourning?
(a) Their city is still in shambles.
(b) Governor Simpson was defeated.
(c) LeRoy Percy has died.
(d) The KKK has returned.
11. What fraction of the crops planted are actually harvested?
(a) All of them.
(b) Less than 1/4.
(c) About a 1/2.
(d) None of them.
12. How does Hoover manage to import boats to the area?
(a) He bought new ones to send in the area.
(b) He paid people large amounts of money to borrow their boats.
(c) He used the help of the Red Cross.
(d) He ordered the Coast Guard to go into the area.
13. What has Coolidge done for the flooded areas in 1927?
(a) He's visited them.
(c) He has donated money.
(d) He has designed a fundraisier to raise money for them.
14. What breaks the relationship between the Percy family and the black community?
(a) It was discovered that the Percy family is racist.
(b) Will attacks the black community for refusing to work.
(c) The Percy's didn't defend the black community.
(d) LeRoy went back on all his promises.
15. Why does Hoover get the assistance of Moton?
(a) To show he wasn't racist.
(b) To "deflect" criticism of the black community.
(c) To get a better relationship with the black community.
(d) To include the black community in his plans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the flood plan have to be constantly changed?
2. What is Will's position during the floods of 1927?
3. With whom does LeRoy Percy Sr. prefer to have a relationship with rather than William?
4. How is William Percy different than his father, LeRoy?
5. Why do the newspapers run reports that Butler is giving fair repayments?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)