|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Leroy Percy's speeches advocate?
(a) The right for women to vote.
(b) To be able to keep slaves.
(c) Better treatment for blacks and education for black children..
(d) Equal rights for women in education and the workforce.
2. As other cities are flooding, why did panic erupt amongst the residents in New Orleans?
(a) They can see the water rising along the levee.
(b) They can't get any food into the city.
(c) There has been a series of murders.
(d) There are no jobs.
3. What was Thompson's proposition to prevent the levees from failing?
(a) To quickly do repairs on the levees.
(b) To build a dam.
(c) To dynamite the levees south of New Orleans.
(d) To build more levees.
4. Why did LeRoy Percy's popularity increase as the Klan began to fall apart?
(a) He was the one who broke the Klan up.
(b) He was running for president.
(c) He donated a lot of money to the poor.
(d) He was seen as the voice of reason.
5. In what ways was New Olreans described?
(a) By its history, geography, flavor and culture.
(b) By the animals and plants that are found there.
(c) By the demographics of the population.
(d) By its climate.
6. What was the reputation of the Boston Club?
(a) It is a very charitable organization.
(b) It is not a reputable club.
(c) Its members have social status and wealth.
(d) It is open to anyone who wants to join.
7. Why was Eads allowed to proceed with his idea after being opposed unanimously?
(a) He bribed the people.
(b) The President overode the initial decision.
(c) His idea was better than the others.
(d) He offered to pay for the work himself.
8. Who were the residents in Plaquemines and St. Bernard Parishes?
(a) Bankers, politicians and socialites.
(b) Fishermen, trappers and bootleggers.
(c) Fishermen, bankers, and politicians.
(d) Mainly the blacks.
9. Why was more attention given to Mardi Gras when the history of the area was given?
(a) Because the holiday has a role in politics.
(b) Because everyone loves the holiday.
(c) Because it is the area's largest money maker.
(d) Because it plays a large part in the culture of the area.
10. What was the basis of political power and structure of Plaquemines and St. Bernard Parishes?
(c) Making and selling illegal alcohol.
11. Prior to Thompson's plan being implemented, what happened to the refugees south of the levee?
(a) They built a new levee.
(b) They refused to leave.
(c) They evacuated.
(d) They protested.
12. What year was the jetty project successfully completed?
13. What did Eads continue to do for a living in St. Louis after his family moved on?
(a) He opened a salvage business.
(b) He became an ironworker.
(c) He ran a plantation.
(d) He started building ships.
14. Which two things did river height depend on?
(a) Volume and temperature of the water.
(b) Speed and depth of the water.
(c) The volume and direction of the water.
(d) Volume and speed of the water.
15. What did spring flooding in the upper Mississippi River cause?
(a) Property destruction, deaths and devastation.
(b) A great fishing season.
(c) A richer soil for planting crops.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened the day after Thompson's plan is implemented?
2. What was the weather like in the Prologue as the guests of the social party head home?
3. How were the levees along the Mississippi different from levees in other places?
4. What did Hoover do during WWI?
5. Why did armed St. Bernard Parish men visit the bankers of New Orleans?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)