|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 19.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did most levees fail?
(a) Low quality materials.
(b) Poor designing.
(c) Water pressure.
(d) Tampering with the levees.
2. How is the Mississippi River described?
(a) It no longer contains water.
(b) It is one of the smallest rivers in the world.
(c) It is the longest river in the world.
(d) It is a medium sized river.
3. Why did LeRoy Percy's popularity increase as the Klan began to fall apart?
(a) He donated a lot of money to the poor.
(b) He was seen as the voice of reason.
(c) He was the one who broke the Klan up.
(d) He was running for president.
4. During the 19th century, what was the attitude about the Mississippi River?
(a) People were just confused by the river.
(b) That if you understood the laws of nature, the river could be understood.
(c) It was a raging machine.
(d) It was harmless.
5. What ongoing problem existed at the mouth of the Mississippi River that prohibited shipping?
(b) Rocky cliffs.
(c) A strong undertow.
(d) Sandbars and large amounts of deposited sediment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did spring flooding in the upper Mississippi River cause?
2. How did Humphrey feel about Ellet's suggestions about the river?
3. What helped Leroy Percy lose a lot of his political influence outside of the Delta area?
4. Who finally gave approval for Thompson to organize his plan when he arrives back to the Delta area?
5. As other cities are flooding, why did panic erupt amongst the residents in New Orleans?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)