|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8 | Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ongoing problem existed at the mouth of the Mississippi River that prohibited shipping?
(a) Sandbars and large amounts of deposited sediment.
(b) A strong undertow.
(c) Rocky cliffs.
2. What controversial issue did Eads propose that was authorized in 1867?
(a) Constuction of a steamboat.
(b) A railroad across the state of Mississippi.
(c) A bridge over the Mississippi.
(d) Construction of a plane.
3. In the 1850's, what two cities were involved in a transportation and freighting competition?
(a) Chicago and New York.
(b) Chicago and St. Louis.
(c) St. Louis and Philadelphia.
(d) New York and Philadelphia.
4. How did Leroy Percy eventually get a seat in Senate despite his popularity decline?
(a) He was voted in by the people.
(b) No one else wanted it.
(c) The seat was left to him in the dead senator's will.
(d) A senator died and he won a special election.
5. What did W.A. Percy institute in the Delta area?
(a) Mechanical plows.
(b) Sharecropping and a better treatment of blacks.
(c) A new fertilizer.
(d) A new irrigation system.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two things did Humphrey unsuccessfully attempt to do to change the mouth of the Mississippi River?
2. Why was Eads allowed to proceed with his idea after being opposed unanimously?
3. What did Congress create in response to the flooding in Mississippi?
4. What were the three basic methods that engineers have attempted to control the river?
5. How did Humphrey feel about Ellet's suggestions about the river?
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)