|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8 | Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Congress create in response to the flooding in Mississippi?
(a) The Hoover Dam.
(b) A plan to create walls along the river.
(c) The U.S. Levee Commission.
(d) A plan to reroute the river.
2. How did Leroy Percy eventually get a seat in Senate despite his popularity decline?
(a) He was voted in by the people.
(b) A senator died and he won a special election.
(c) No one else wanted it.
(d) The seat was left to him in the dead senator's will.
3. How did Eads assist in the Civil War?
(a) He was a medic.
(b) He fought on the front lines for the Union.
(c) He helped import weapons for the Union Army.
(d) He helped keep Missouri in the Union and built ironclads.
4. What was Eads' proposition to change the mouth of the Mississippi River?
(a) Building dams.
(b) Changing the course of the river.
(c) Making a series of canals.
(d) A series of jetties.
5. In 1850, what were the Humphreys and Charles Ellet Jr. competing for?
(a) The job to survey the Mississippi River.
(b) The girl they wanted to marry.
(c) A trip down the Mississippi River.
(d) Being the mayor of New Orleans.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Leroy Percy form a relationship that benefited him greatly in the 1900's?
2. What did Eads continue to do for a living in St. Louis after his family moved on?
3. What were the three basic methods that engineers have attempted to control the river?
4. What percentage of the United States does the Mississippi River drain?
5. Why wasn't Humphrey's report accepted well in the United States?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)