|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8 | Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the high river levels threaten in 1912?
(a) To top the levee before the sandbags come.
(b) To bring sewage into Mississippi.
(c) To wash away all the crops.
(d) To break the dam.
2. How is the Mississippi River described?
(a) It is a medium sized river.
(b) It is the longest river in the world.
(c) It no longer contains water.
(d) It is one of the smallest rivers in the world.
3. In the 1850's, what two cities were involved in a transportation and freighting competition?
(a) Chicago and New York.
(b) Chicago and St. Louis.
(c) St. Louis and Philadelphia.
(d) New York and Philadelphia.
4. During the 1900 a new demand surged in throughout the United States. What was that demand?
5. During the 19th century, what was the attitude about the Mississippi River?
(a) It was harmless.
(b) People were just confused by the river.
(c) It was a raging machine.
(d) That if you understood the laws of nature, the river could be understood.
Short Answer Questions
1. What controversial issue did Eads propose that was authorized in 1867?
2. What was the weather like in the Prologue as the guests of the social party head home?
3. How did Humphrey prove himself to be in combat?
4. What percentage of the United States does the Mississippi River drain?
5. How did Eads assist in the Civil War?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)