|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 15.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the first recorded flood of the Mississippi River?
2. What did Congress create in response to the flooding in Mississippi?
(a) A plan to create walls along the river.
(b) The U.S. Levee Commission.
(c) The Hoover Dam.
(d) A plan to reroute the river.
3. How did Humphrey prove himself to be in combat?
(a) Skittish and scared.
(d) Ruthless and cold.
4. Why did most levees fail?
(a) Tampering with the levees.
(b) Poor designing.
(c) Water pressure.
(d) Low quality materials.
5. What did the flooding of 1912 and 1913 demonstrate?
(a) The failure of the levee system.
(b) The weakness of the government.
(c) The strength of the people.
(d) The strength of the levee system.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why wasn't Humphrey's report accepted well in the United States?
2. When Humphrey returned from studying deltaic rivers, what did he do?
3. During the 1900 a new demand surged in throughout the United States. What was that demand?
4. What were the three basic methods that engineers have attempted to control the river?
5. What year was the jetty project successfully completed?
This section contains 220 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)