|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a student complains that he is being kept out of law school, what does Rodriguez do?
2. What does Rodriguez learn about complexion from his family?
3. What does Rodriguez tell his mother about talking to strangers?
4. What example does Rodriguez offer of how affirmative action can have negative consequences?
5. What comment from a professor makes Rodriguez rethink his use of the label "minority student"?
Essay Topic 1
Part One: Compare and contrast the two religions - Mexican Catholicism and English-speaking Catholicism - that Rodriguez experiences as a child.
Part Two: Which one had a more profound effect on him as he grew up?
Part Three: Does his "New Catholicism" look more like Mexican Catholicism, English-speaking Catholicism, or an equal blend of the two?
Essay Topic 2
Rodriguez tells his mother that there are some things it is easier to discuss with a stranger than with a family member.
Part One: What specific things do you think Rodriguez would rather discuss with a stranger than with his family members?
Part Two: Do you agree with his statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Would it have been better for Rodriguez to attend a non-Catholic school when he was younger? Use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 2,123 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)