Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a student complains that he is being kept out of law school, what does Rodriguez do?
2. What does Rodriguez learn about complexion from his family?
3. What does Rodriguez tell his mother about talking to strangers?
4. What example does Rodriguez offer of how affirmative action can have negative consequences?
5. What comment from a professor makes Rodriguez rethink his use of the label "minority student"?
Essay Topic 1
Rodriguez describes a period in his life when he has very low self-esteem.
Part One: Why does he have low self-esteem? What parts of himself does he feel badly about?
Part Two: What happens in his life that makes him feel worse about those things?
Part Three: What happens in his life that makes him feel better about those things? Where does he go or who does he talk to?
Part Four: In your opinion, how much of Rodriguez's low self-esteem is just typical adolescent worrying about self-image? How much of it is a result of his specific situation and the people around him?
Essay Topic 2
Part One: What does Rodriguez argue about affirmative action? Explain his argument thoroughly and give specific examples that he uses to support his argument.
Part Two: Do you agree with his arguments? Why or why not? Provide your own examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Part One: Compare and contrast Rodriguez's childhood view of religion and his adult view of religion.
Part Two: Rodriguez acknowledges that the church itself changed some of its practices as he grew up. What effect did that have on his decision to stay Catholic? Did it encourage him to re-evaluate his religious beliefs and practices?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)