|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Credo, Chapter 3, what does Rodriguez do to change his ideas about religion?
2. According to Rodriguez, what did some sympathetic professors do for black students who were struggling?
3. Why does Rodriguez's mother call him "Mr. Secrets"?
4. What comment from a professor makes Rodriguez rethink his use of the label "minority student"?
5. When a student complains that he is being kept out of law school, what does Rodriguez do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of social life does Rodriguez have? Does he have lots of friends and girlfriends?
2. How do Rodriguez's ideas about religion change as he grows up? How does his practice of religion change?
3. How does Rodriguez overcome his attitudes about dark skin? Give two specific examples.
4. What conversation does Rodriguez have with a colleague about teaching positions? What decision does Rodriguez make as a result of that conversation?
5. What does Rodriguez's mother tell him about writing about their family? What does his editor tell him?
6. How does Rodriguez describe the change in the Catholic Church that happens as he grows up?
7. How does Rodriguez feel about white students' attitudes toward affirmative action?
8. How do people respond to Rodriguez's skin color when he is younger?
9. As a child, what does Rodriguez learn about dark skin?
10. How does Rodriguez describe his mother's interaction with the public world? Give specific examples.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rodriguez tells his mother that there are some things it is easier to discuss with a stranger than with a family member.
Part One: What specific things do you think Rodriguez would rather discuss with a stranger than with his family members?
Part Two: Do you agree with his statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Part One: What does Rodriguez argue about affirmative action? Explain his argument thoroughly and give specific examples that he uses to support his argument.
Part Two: Do you agree with his arguments? Why or why not? Provide your own examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Rodriguez repeatedly describes his experience of moving from a small, sheltered, or narrow world to a larger, less protected, more broad-minded world as he grows up. As he grows up, his views change on:
1) Skin color
3) The importance of language as a way to develop intimacy
Choose at least two of those. Identify what Rodriguez's original opinion or idea was, what he later starts to believe, and what events in his life led him to change his perspective.
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)