|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious figure was very important in his parents' old church, but becomes less important in the new church?
2. Why does Rodriguez say he is writing this book?
3. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
4. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
5. What does Rodriguez wonder about his parents and his education?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the parents' desire for a good education end up hurting their family?
2. How do Catholic rituals become a part of Rodriguez's life? Which rituals does he describe?
3. Rodriguez is trained in Catholic ideas and rituals at a young age. What does this do to his understanding of other religious beliefs and practices?
4. What does Rodriguez say about his experience of growing up Catholic?
5. How does Rodriguez describe each language (Spanish and English) differently?
6. How does Rodriguez feel about bilingual education?
7. How does learning to speak English change Rodriguez's mother? His father?
8. Rodriguez finds a description in THE USES OF LITERACY that reminds him of himself. What is that description?
9. How does Rodriguez respond when people ask him how he was successful in school? Is his answer completely honest? Why or why not?
10. What is Rodriguez's initial attitude about reading? What happens to him because of that attitude? What do his parents think about reading?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rodriguez focuses heavily on sound, particularly the sound of English versus the sound of Spanish.
Part One: How does he describe the sound of each language? Do his descriptions change as he learns more English? If so, how?
Part Two: How does he describe the sound of specific characters speaking in each language (for example, his mother speaking English versus his mother speaking Spanish)? What does that description tell you about the character? about the language?
Part Three: Rodriguez includes Spanish words throughout the text. When does he use Spanish words? Why does he use those instead of just translating them into English?
Essay Topic 2
Rodriguez identifies with a student description in a textbook, the "scholarship boy." He feels that is a good representation of how he was as a student.
Part One: Describe the scholarship boy. Identify how that type of student is seen by the teacher, by fellow classmates, and how he sees himself. Identify why Rodriguez related to that description, and use specific examples to support your answer.
Part Two: Write a brief description of the kind of student you are. Identify how that type of student is seen by the teacher, by fellow classmates, and how he/she sees himself/herself. Compare and contrast your description with that of the scholarship boy.
Essay Topic 3
Part One: Compare and contrast the two religions - Mexican Catholicism and English-speaking Catholicism - that Rodriguez experiences as a child.
Part Two: Which one had a more profound effect on him as he grew up?
Part Three: Does his "New Catholicism" look more like Mexican Catholicism, English-speaking Catholicism, or an equal blend of the two?
This section contains 1,131 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)