|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
2. What does his mother think about his reading?
3. What is Rodriguez told about reading the Bible?
4. How does Rodriguez describe his life as a child?
5. How does Rodriguez think the church treats his parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Rodriguez family tease Richard? What do they call him?
2. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
3. What does Rodriguez identify as the pros and cons of bilingual education?
4. How does Rodriguez feel about bilingual education?
5. Beyond the simple accomplishment of learning another language, what importance does Rodriguez place on learning English?
6. What is special or different about the school Rodriguez attends? How does that affect him later in life?
7. Why does Rodriguez talk about how the rich people pronounce his name?
8. How does the parents' desire for a good education end up hurting their family?
9. Rodriguez is trained in Catholic ideas and rituals at a young age. What does this do to his understanding of other religious beliefs and practices?
10. What does Rodriguez say about his experience of growing up Catholic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rodriguez talks a lot about the difference between public and private language.
Part One: How does he define the difference between public and private language? Analyze what he is saying - don't just say that his public language is English and his private language is Spanish. What really defines the differences between the two types of language?
Part Two: Do people have to be bilingual to have a private language? Why or why not? Use examples from the book to support your argument.
Part Three: Are there times when two characters are speaking the same language but not really communicating or understanding each other? What does that say about private and public language?
Essay Topic 2
Part One: What does Rodriguez argue about affirmative action? Explain his argument thoroughly and give specific examples that he uses to support his argument.
Part Two: Do you agree with his arguments? Why or why not? Provide your own examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Rodriguez identifies with a student description in a textbook, the "scholarship boy." He feels that is a good representation of how he was as a student.
Part One: Describe the scholarship boy. Identify how that type of student is seen by the teacher, by fellow classmates, and how he sees himself. Identify why Rodriguez related to that description, and use specific examples to support your answer.
Part Two: Write a brief description of the kind of student you are. Identify how that type of student is seen by the teacher, by fellow classmates, and how he/she sees himself/herself. Compare and contrast your description with that of the scholarship boy.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)