|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
2. How does Rodriguez get involved in his church?
3. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
4. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
5. What does Rodriguez start to notice about English?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rodriguez decide to do about a job?
2. What does Rodriguez identify as the pros and cons of bilingual education?
3. What does Rodriguez learn from working with the construction workers? Give two specific examples.
4. Is Rodriguez prepared for his first day of school? Why or why not?
5. Rodriguez's family continues to speak to him in Spanish. What does that suggest about what they think about the value of Spanish?
6. Now that he is older, how do people respond to Rodriguez's skin color?
7. How does Rodriguez feel about bilingual education?
8. What is Rodriguez's initial attitude about reading? What happens to him because of that attitude? What do his parents think about reading?
9. What conversation does Rodriguez have with a colleague about teaching positions? What decision does Rodriguez make as a result of that conversation?
10. How do Rodriguez's ideas about dark skin change as he grows up? Give specific examples.
Essay Topic 1
Rodriguez describes a period in his life when he has very low self-esteem.
Part One: Why does he have low self-esteem? What parts of himself does he feel badly about?
Part Two: What happens in his life that makes him feel worse about those things?
Part Three: What happens in his life that makes him feel better about those things? Where does he go or who does he talk to?
Part Four: In your opinion, how much of Rodriguez's low self-esteem is just typical adolescent worrying about self-image? How much of it is a result of his specific situation and the people around him?
Essay Topic 2
Part One: What does Rodriguez argue about bilingual education? Explain his argument thoroughly and give specific examples that he uses to support his argument.
Part Two: Do you agree with Rodriguez's arguments? Why or why not? Provide your own examples to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Rodriguez repeatedly describes his experience of moving from a small, sheltered, or narrow world to a larger, less protected, more broad-minded world as he grows up. As he grows up, his views change on:
1) Skin color
3) The importance of language as a way to develop intimacy
Choose at least two of those. Identify what Rodriguez's original opinion or idea was, what he later starts to believe, and what events in his life led him to change his perspective.
This section contains 2,739 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)