|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez see as the value of a book?
2. How do Rodriguez's parents respond when he wants to go to Stanford?
3. How does Rodriguez describe himself now?
4. What does his mother think about his reading?
5. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
Short Essay Questions
1. Rodriguez is trained in Catholic ideas and rituals at a young age. What does this do to his understanding of other religious beliefs and practices?
2. How does learning to speak English change Rodriguez's mother? His father?
3. Beyond the simple accomplishment of learning another language, what importance does Rodriguez place on learning English?
4. What does Rodriguez identify as the pros and cons of bilingual education?
5. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
6. How does the parents' desire for a good education end up hurting their family?
7. Rodriguez finds a description in THE USES OF LITERACY that reminds him of himself. What is that description?
8. Why is Rodriguez writing this book? Identify two reasons.
9. How does Rodriguez feel as his education comes to an end?
10. What does Rodriguez suggest education does to the scholarship boy? Why does he say that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rodriguez is told that men behave in one way and women behave in another way. He is embarrassed because based on those standards, he acts more like a woman than a man.
Part One: How does Rodriguez's family define male and female behavior? Why do you think they have those opinions?
Part Two: Do the characters in the book follow those guidelines for male and female behavior? What happens to characters who do not follow the guidelines? What happens to characters who do follow the guidelines? What is Rodriguez saying about gender roles?
Essay Topic 2
Rodriguez tells his mother that there are some things it is easier to discuss with a stranger than with a family member.
Part One: What specific things do you think Rodriguez would rather discuss with a stranger than with his family members?
Part Two: Do you agree with his statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Would it have been better for Rodriguez to attend a non-Catholic school when he was younger? Use specific examples from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)