|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
2. As he finishes his education, does Rodriguez think his parents still love him? How do you know?
3. How does the scholarship boy use education?
4. How is the "scholarship boy" described?
5. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rodriguez say he spent so many years in the classroom?
2. How does the parents' desire for a good education end up hurting their family?
3. Rodriguez finds a description in THE USES OF LITERACY that reminds him of himself. What is that description?
4. What does Rodriguez describe as the differences between Mexican Catholicism and English Catholicism? Identify two characteristics of each.
5. Rodriguez's family continues to speak to him in Spanish. What does that suggest about what they think about the value of Spanish?
6. How does Rodriguez feel as his education comes to an end?
7. What is Rodriguez's initial attitude about reading? What happens to him because of that attitude? What do his parents think about reading?
8. Beyond the simple accomplishment of learning another language, what importance does Rodriguez place on learning English?
9. What do other people think of the "scholarship boy"?
10. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rodriguez tells his mother that there are some things it is easier to discuss with a stranger than with a family member.
Part One: What specific things do you think Rodriguez would rather discuss with a stranger than with his family members?
Part Two: Do you agree with his statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Rodriguez focuses heavily on sound, particularly the sound of English versus the sound of Spanish.
Part One: How does he describe the sound of each language? Do his descriptions change as he learns more English? If so, how?
Part Two: How does he describe the sound of specific characters speaking in each language (for example, his mother speaking English versus his mother speaking Spanish)? What does that description tell you about the character? about the language?
Part Three: Rodriguez includes Spanish words throughout the text. When does he use Spanish words? Why does he use those instead of just translating them into English?
Essay Topic 3
Part One: Compare and contrast Rodriguez's childhood view of religion and his adult view of religion.
Part Two: Rodriguez acknowledges that the church itself changed some of its practices as he grew up. What effect did that have on his decision to stay Catholic? Did it encourage him to re-evaluate his religious beliefs and practices?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)