Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does his mother think about his reading?
2. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
3. How does Rodriguez think the church treats his parents?
4. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
5. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rodriguez use the label "minority student"? How does he feel about it? Give specific reasons why he feels that way.
2. How do people respond to Rodriguez's skin color when he is younger?
3. Why does Rodriguez write his mother a letter?
4. How does Rodriguez feel about bilingual education?
5. What does Rodriguez identify as the symbol of how these two versions of Catholicism intersect in his life?
6. As a child, what does Rodriguez learn about dark skin?
7. What does Rodriguez discover about language and intimacy? What family member helps him to figure that out?
8. How do Rodriguez's ideas about dark skin change as he grows up? Give specific examples.
9. What conversation does Rodriguez have with a colleague about teaching positions? What decision does Rodriguez make as a result of that conversation?
10. How does Rodriguez view his parents' use of English?
Essay Topic 1
Rodriguez tells his mother that there are some things it is easier to discuss with a stranger than with a family member.
Part One: What specific things do you think Rodriguez would rather discuss with a stranger than with his family members?
Part Two: Do you agree with his statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Rodriguez's parents, focusing on the following areas:
1) Their education
2) Their attitudes toward the "public" world
3) Their attitudes toward Richard and his education
If Rodriguez was going to try to talk to one of them about the loneliness and distance he feels from them, which one should he pick? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Rodriguez focuses heavily on sound, particularly the sound of English versus the sound of Spanish.
Part One: How does he describe the sound of each language? Do his descriptions change as he learns more English? If so, how?
Part Two: How does he describe the sound of specific characters speaking in each language (for example, his mother speaking English versus his mother speaking Spanish)? What does that description tell you about the character? about the language?
Part Three: Rodriguez includes Spanish words throughout the text. When does he use Spanish words? Why does he use those instead of just translating them into English?
This section contains 2,792 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)