|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he gets older, what do people tell Rodriguez about his complexion?
(a) They tell him to see a doctor to get help.
(b) They are envious of his "tan."
(c) They tease him.
(d) They joke with him about how light his skin is.
2. How does Rodriguez describe the 1960s student?
(a) Prone to protesting, but with good intentions.
(b) A troublemaker.
(c) Too politically liberal.
(d) Idealistic and admirable.
3. Does Rodriguez believe that his mother knows about his book?
(a) No, but he is afraid she will find his manuscript and read it.
(c) Yes, but she will not admit it.
4. Why do the new minority students on campus make Rodriguez uneasy?
(a) They try to speak to him in Spanish.
(b) They celebrate the cultural heritage that he has rejected.
(c) They act like revolutionaries and promote violence.
(d) They dress funny.
5. When he was a child, what did his parents say he looked like?
(a) A wealthy boy who does not work.
(b) A poor Mexican man who works in the sun.
(c) A sick child.
(d) A ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. Because of his skin color, what did Rodriguez's parents worry about?
2. What does Rodriguez think skin color says about financial status?
3. In Credo, Chapter 3, what does Rodriguez do to change his ideas about religion?
4. When Rodriguez applies for teaching jobs, what happens?
5. How do Rodriguez's friends affect his religious practices?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rodriguez explain psychiatry to his mother? Does she understand? Why or why not? How does that discussion connect to his book and what he is willing to tell her about the book?
2. How does Rodriguez feel about writing? How does he feel about writing about his family? How has he handled it in the past? How is he handling it now?
3. How does Rodriguez overcome his attitudes about dark skin? Give two specific examples.
4. What does Rodriguez think about the Civil Rights Movement?
5. What kind of social life does Rodriguez have? Does he have lots of friends and girlfriends?
6. Why does Rodriguez's mother call him "Mr. Secrets"? In spite of his secretive behavior, what does Rodriguez believe she knows?
7. Rodriguez looks at the students of the 1960s and 1970s from a teacher's perspective. What does he see as the difference between them?
8. How does Rodriguez describe the change in the Catholic Church that happens as he grows up?
9. How do people respond to Rodriguez's skin color when he is younger?
10. What does Rodriguez learn from working with the construction workers? Give two specific examples.
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)