|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he gets older, what do people tell Rodriguez about his complexion?
(a) They are envious of his "tan."
(b) They tell him to see a doctor to get help.
(c) They tease him.
(d) They joke with him about how light his skin is.
2. Where does Rodriguez feel comfortable? Why?
(a) With his friends, because they understand him.
(b) At church, because he believes God loves him in spite of his dark skin.
(c) At home, because they love him no matter what he does.
(d) At school, because they value his intelligence, not his complexion.
3. What is Rodriguez's complexion like?
(a) He is light-skinned.
(b) He is dark-skinned.
(c) He has bad acne.
(d) He looks like a white boy.
4. What changes Rodriguez's ideas about his complexion?
(a) He talks about it with other minority students.
(b) He works construction and gets comfortable about revealing his skin.
(c) He writes a news story about the "Black is Beautiful" movement.
(d) He talks about it with one of his professors.
5. In Mr. Secrets, Chapter 1, what does Rodriguez's mother beg him not to do?
(a) Quit school.
(b) Stop going to church.
(c) Write a book about their family.
(d) Get married.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rodriguez gets a summer job during college , what does it teach him about "real work"?
2. How does Rodriguez change his religious practices?
3. How does Rodriguez think about the old religious traditions of his childhood?
4. Where does Rodriguez go for his fellowship?
5. While he writes his book, how does Rodriguez support himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rodriguez decide to do about a job?
2. What does Rodriguez think about the current system of affirmative action? Give two examples he uses to support his argument.
3. How does Rodriguez explain psychiatry to his mother? Does she understand? Why or why not? How does that discussion connect to his book and what he is willing to tell her about the book?
4. Why does Rodriguez's mother call him "Mr. Secrets"? In spite of his secretive behavior, what does Rodriguez believe she knows?
5. How does Rodriguez handle applying for teaching positions?
6. How does Rodriguez describe the change in the Catholic Church that happens as he grows up?
7. As more minority students attend college, what does Rodriguez notice about their relationship to their culture? Give specific examples.
8. What does Rodriguez learn from working with the construction workers? Give two specific examples.
9. How does Rodriguez use the label "minority student"? How does he feel about it? Give specific reasons why he feels that way.
10. Now that he is older, how do people respond to Rodriguez's skin color?
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)