|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
(a) He teaches them how to speak English.
(b) He gets angry at them for speaking Spanish.
(c) He tells them to be quiet and let him do the talking.
(d) He corrects their grammar.
2. How does Rodriguez get involved in his church?
(a) He becomes an altar boy.
(b) He reads the Bible aloud in church.
(c) He goes to mass every week.
(d) He studies to become a priest.
3. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
(a) He could ask the teacher questions more easily.
(b) He would feel more comfortable in the classroom.
(c) He could understand the homework assignments better.
(d) He would get better grades.
4. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
(a) He thinks it makes students work harder.
(b) He thinks it is too hard on the teacher.
(c) He thinks it would have helped him a lot.
(d) He disagrees with it.
5. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
(a) That intimacy is about the relationship between the people, not about what language they speak.
(b) That language is how a person maintains their intimacy with other people.
(c) That he can express himself better in English than in Spanish.
(d) That Spanish is always a more intimate language that English.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez wonder about his parents and his education?
2. How does Rodriguez's grandmother affect his ideas on language?
3. How does Rodriguez describe his life as a child?
4. In Aria, Chapter 3, why does Rodriguez's family tease him?
5. How does Rodriguez's father react to his educational accomplishments?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Rodriguez's family have the same level of education he does?
2. What does Rodriguez identify as the pros and cons of bilingual education?
3. How does Rodriguez respond when people ask him how he was successful in school? Is his answer completely honest? Why or why not?
4. What does Rodriguez discover about language and intimacy? What family member helps him to figure that out?
5. What does Rodriguez describe as the differences between Mexican Catholicism and English Catholicism? Identify two characteristics of each.
6. Why does the Rodriguez family tease Richard? What do they call him?
7. How does Rodriguez feel as his education comes to an end?
8. Rodriguez is trained in Catholic ideas and rituals at a young age. What does this do to his understanding of other religious beliefs and practices?
9. How does Rodriguez describe each language (Spanish and English) differently?
10. How does learning to speak English change Rodriguez's mother? His father?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)