|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Rodriguez takes the reading class, how does he feel about reading and books?
(a) He loves it and wants to read all the books he can find.
(b) He feels that reading is important, and his parents should read more.
(c) He thinks it is boring.
(d) He thinks reading is hard, but books are interesting.
2. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
(a) Studying with a classmate.
(b) Learning English from listening to the radio.
(c) Getting extra help from the teacher.
(d) Practicing English with his family.
3. Rodriguez describes events that happened how many years ago?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 30 years.
(d) 20 years.
4. What does Rodriguez say would be the disadvantage of bilingual education?
(a) It would limit the things he could study in school.
(b) It would make it easier to cheat on tests.
(c) It would make him lazy about learning English.
(d) It would mean he was only in class with other people who spoke Spanish.
5. How does Rodriguez get involved in his church?
(a) He goes to mass every week.
(b) He studies to become a priest.
(c) He becomes an altar boy.
(d) He reads the Bible aloud in church.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the "scholarship boy" described?
2. In Aria, Chapter 3, why does Rodriguez's family tease him?
3. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
4. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
5. Is Rodriguez's education affected by his religion? If so, how?
Short Essay Questions
1. As a teacher, how does Rodriguez interact with these other minority students? Why does he act that way?
2. Does Rodriguez's family have the same level of education he does?
3. How does Rodriguez feel about bilingual education?
4. What kind of social life does Rodriguez have? Does he have lots of friends and girlfriends?
5. Why does Rodriguez write his mother a letter?
6. How does Rodriguez feel about white students' attitudes toward affirmative action?
7. How does Rodriguez describe each language (Spanish and English) differently?
8. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
9. What does Rodriguez decide to do about a job?
10. What does Rodriguez learn from working with the construction workers? Give two specific examples.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)