|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez feel when he observes the group of black teenagers on the bus?
(a) He envies their close bond.
(b) He is scared because they look tough.
(c) He is irritated because they are noisy.
(d) He wishes he could be their friend.
2. How does Rodriguez describe himself now?
(a) An education expert.
(b) A famous author.
(c) A middle-class American.
(d) A Latino activist.
3. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
(a) They pronounce it differently than his Spanish-speaking family.
(b) They say it as if they are impressed to know him.
(c) They mispronounce it.
(d) They say his name just like everyone else's name.
4. As a child, how does Rodriguez feel about speaking English?
(a) He is afraid of it.
(b) He is eager to learn to speak English.
(c) He thinks it is a waste of time.
(d) He is proud that he learns to speak English well.
5. How does Rodriguez get involved in his church?
(a) He studies to become a priest.
(b) He becomes an altar boy.
(c) He goes to mass every week.
(d) He reads the Bible aloud in church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rodriguez taught about marrying someone of a different religion?
2. What does religion do for his parents?
3. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
4. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
5. What two versions of his religion does Rodriguez say his parents had to choose between?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rodriguez's initial attitude about reading? What happens to him because of that attitude? What do his parents think about reading?
2. Rodriguez finds a description in THE USES OF LITERACY that reminds him of himself. What is that description?
3. How does Rodriguez feel as his education comes to an end?
4. What do other people think of the "scholarship boy"?
5. Why is Rodriguez writing this book? Identify two reasons.
6. Once Rodriguez starts to read, what happens?
7. Why does Rodriguez talk about how the rich people pronounce his name?
8. What does Rodriguez describe as the differences between Mexican Catholicism and English Catholicism? Identify two characteristics of each.
9. What does Rodriguez identify as the pros and cons of bilingual education?
10. How does learning to speak English change Rodriguez's mother? His father?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)