|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rodriguez taught about marrying someone of a different religion?
(a) It is a good idea.
(b) It is difficult to make it work.
(c) It is a sin.
(d) It is all right if both families approve of it.
2. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
(a) He corrects their grammar.
(b) He tells them to be quiet and let him do the talking.
(c) He teaches them how to speak English.
(d) He gets angry at them for speaking Spanish.
3. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
(b) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
(c) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
(d) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
4. How does mass help his family?
(a) They go to mass together, even as they are growing more distant.
(b) They all go out to eat afterwards and have a good time.
(c) They pray for family closeness.
(d) They all participate in the mass together.
5. What religious figure was very important in his parents' old church, but becomes less important in the new church?
(a) St. Peter.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
(d) The priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Rodriguez say surrounds him now?
2. When he graduates, where does Rodriguez live?
3. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
4. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
5. In The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4, what is Rodriguez afraid to admit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Beyond the simple accomplishment of learning another language, what importance does Rodriguez place on learning English?
2. What does Rodriguez discover about language and intimacy? What family member helps him to figure that out?
3. What do other people think of the "scholarship boy"?
4. What is Rodriguez's initial attitude about reading? What happens to him because of that attitude? What do his parents think about reading?
5. How does Rodriguez feel about bilingual education?
6. What conflicting messages does Rodriguez's father give him about getting an education?
7. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
8. How does Rodriguez view his parents' use of English?
9. Rodriguez's family continues to speak to him in Spanish. What does that suggest about what they think about the value of Spanish?
10. Does Rodriguez's family have the same level of education he does?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)