Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does his mother think about his reading?
(a) She is proud of him for reading so much.
(b) She wishes he would read less and go play sports.
(c) She does not understand it.
(d) She hopes that he can teach her to read better.
2. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
(a) He thinks it would have helped him a lot.
(b) He disagrees with it.
(c) He thinks it is too hard on the teacher.
(d) He thinks it makes students work harder.
3. How does Rodriguez think the church treats his parents?
(a) It makes a fuss over them.
(b) It insults them.
(c) It does not pay attention to them.
(d) It respects them as people.
4. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
(a) Are your brothers and sisters as smart as you are?
(b) How did you manage your success?
(c) Can I have your autograph?
(d) Did you benefit from affirmative action?
5. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
(a) Frustrated, because he does not learn it very well.
(b) Bored, because he does not really want to learn it.
(c) Guilty, because he feels like he has damaged his family's close relationship.
(d) Proud, because it is a hard language to learn.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a scholarship boy form his own ideas or opinions?
2. Where does Rodriguez find the description of the "scholarship boy"?
3. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
4. How does Rodriguez get involved in his church?
5. According to Rodriguez, what is wrong with speaking a private language in public?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rodriguez use the label "minority student"? How does he feel about it? Give specific reasons why he feels that way.
2. How do people respond to Rodriguez's skin color when he is younger?
3. Why does Rodriguez write his mother a letter?
4. How does Rodriguez feel about bilingual education?
5. What does Rodriguez identify as the symbol of how these two versions of Catholicism intersect in his life?
6. As a child, what does Rodriguez learn about dark skin?
7. What does Rodriguez discover about language and intimacy? What family member helps him to figure that out?
8. How do Rodriguez's ideas about dark skin change as he grows up? Give specific examples.
9. What conversation does Rodriguez have with a colleague about teaching positions? What decision does Rodriguez make as a result of that conversation?
10. How does Rodriguez view his parents' use of English?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)