|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Rodriguez reaches the end of his education, what does he have to confront?
(a) His damaged relationship with his parents.
(b) His need to get a job.
(c) His lack of any friends or girlfriends.
(d) The discrimination he experiences as a Hispanic man.
2. How does Rodriguez describe his life as a child?
3. When he graduates, where does Rodriguez live?
(a) With his parents.
(b) With his brother.
(c) In his own apartment.
(d) With his girlfriend.
4. Rodriguez describes events that happened how many years ago?
(a) 30 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 20 years.
5. How does mass help his family?
(a) They go to mass together, even as they are growing more distant.
(b) They all go out to eat afterwards and have a good time.
(c) They all participate in the mass together.
(d) They pray for family closeness.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
2. How does a scholarship boy form his own ideas or opinions?
3. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
4. How does a newspaper affect Rodriguez's reading habits?
5. How do Rodriguez's parents respond when he wants to go to Stanford?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rodriguez describe as the differences between Mexican Catholicism and English Catholicism? Identify two characteristics of each.
2. Does Rodriguez's family have the same level of education he does?
3. How does the parents' desire for a good education end up hurting their family?
4. How does Rodriguez describe each language (Spanish and English) differently?
5. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
6. Why does Rodriguez talk about how the rich people pronounce his name?
7. What do other people think of the "scholarship boy"?
8. Why is Rodriguez writing this book? Identify two reasons.
9. How does Rodriguez feel about bilingual education?
10. How does learning to speak English change Rodriguez's mother? His father?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)