|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What new academic field do these minority college students ask for?
(b) Ethnic studies.
(c) Third world studies.
2. What does Rodriguez think of his parents' ideas on religion?
(a) They just do what the priest tells them to do.
(b) They are deep and profound.
(c) They are based on good Church teachings.
(d) They are too simple.
3. How do Rodriguez's parents see themselves in American society?
(a) They are a part of American society.
(b) They can participate in it, but they keep themselves separate.
(c) They are totally separate from American society.
(d) They want to be more a part of American society than they are.
4. How does Rodriguez's sister feel about her children's complexions?
(a) She is disappointed that they do not look more like her.
(b) She is relieved when they are dark-skinned.
(c) She wants them to take care of their skin so they are more attractive.
(d) She is relieved when they are light-skinned.
5. What example does Rodriguez offer of a program that can help minority students?
(a) Students who took a remedial reading course.
(b) Students who went to college for five years instead of four.
(c) His own experience: a strong educational background.
(d) Students he knew in graduate school who went for extra tutoring.
6. What happens at the swimming pool to make Rodriguez aware of his skin color?
(a) A group of boys makes fun of him.
(b) His mother tells him to cover up.
(c) A pretty girl laughs at him.
(d) He realizes everyone else in the pool is light-skinned.
7. At what stage in their academic career does Rodriguez believe students need help?
(a) When they start college.
(b) When they start high school.
(c) During the last two years of high school.
(d) When they start school.
8. How does Rodriguez think about the old religious traditions of his childhood?
(a) He misses the ritual.
(b) He is glad the traditions have changed.
(c) He thinks those traditions are only suitable for people like his parents.
(d) He thinks they are old-fashioned and silly.
9. How does Rodriguez describe the 1970s student?
(a) A troublemaker.
(b) Too politically conservative.
(c) Too focused on grades to care about other people.
(d) Cynical and sour about life.
10. While he studies at Stanford, what does Rodriguez do to make money?
(a) Works in the school cafeteria.
(b) Tutors other students.
(c) Works a construction job.
(d) Writes for a local newspaper.
11. As an adult, what do people think his complexion says about him?
(a) That he is rich and lives a life of luxury.
(b) That he is poor and works in the sun all day.
(c) That he spends a lot of time indoors.
(d) That he is unhealthy.
12. In Complexion, Chapter 3, what new hobby does Rodriguez take up?
(b) Long-distance running.
(d) Scuba diving.
13. What does Rodriguez have to do if he is going to write this book?
(a) Offend his friends.
(b) Embarrass his teachers.
(c) Insult his family.
(d) Make his opinions public.
14. What does Rodriguez tell his mother about talking to strangers?
(a) She needs to learn how to talk to strangers more easily.
(b) Talking to strangers is always difficult.
(c) Talking to strangers is more difficult in Spanish than English.
(d) There are some things so intimate it is easier to say them to strangers.
15. Why does Rodriguez's mother call him "Mr. Secrets"?
(a) Because he likes to surprise them.
(b) Because he lies to his family.
(c) Because he hides things from his family.
(d) Because he does not talk to his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rodriguez gets a summer job during college , what does it teach him about "real work"?
2. Because of his skin color, what did Rodriguez's parents worry about?
3. How does Rodriguez change his religious practices?
4. What example does Rodriguez offer of how affirmative action can have negative consequences?
5. While he writes his book, how does Rodriguez support himself?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)