|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As he gets older, what do people tell Rodriguez about his complexion?
(a) They tell him to see a doctor to get help.
(b) They are envious of his "tan."
(c) They tease him.
(d) They joke with him about how light his skin is.
2. According to Rodriguez's family, what is wrong with Richard?
(a) He needs to be more responsible.
(b) He needs to talk more when he is at home.
(c) He is more like a woman because he talks a lot and has soft hands.
(d) He needs to work at hard labor.
3. What does Rodriguez tell his mother about talking to strangers?
(a) There are some things so intimate it is easier to say them to strangers.
(b) Talking to strangers is more difficult in Spanish than English.
(c) Talking to strangers is always difficult.
(d) She needs to learn how to talk to strangers more easily.
4. While he studies at Stanford, what does Rodriguez do to make money?
(a) Writes for a local newspaper.
(b) Tutors other students.
(c) Works a construction job.
(d) Works in the school cafeteria.
5. How does Rodriguez's mother act differently in public?
(a) She is more outgoing and friendly.
(b) She struggles to speak English.
(c) Her voice gets lower and quieter.
(d) Her voice gets higher and she speaks more formally.
6. How does Rodriguez describe the 1960s student?
(a) A troublemaker.
(b) Too politically liberal.
(c) Prone to protesting, but with good intentions.
(d) Idealistic and admirable.
7. Why do the new minority students on campus make Rodriguez uneasy?
(a) They act like revolutionaries and promote violence.
(b) They try to speak to him in Spanish.
(c) They celebrate the cultural heritage that he has rejected.
(d) They dress funny.
8. What does Rodriguez think of his parents' ideas on religion?
(a) They just do what the priest tells them to do.
(b) They are deep and profound.
(c) They are based on good Church teachings.
(d) They are too simple.
9. What do the Hispanic college students ask Rodriguez to do?
(a) To give a speech to their student group.
(b) To lead a protest.
(c) To teach a course in minority literature.
(d) To write them recommendations for graduate school.
10. When does Rodriguez think that minority students should get help?
(a) When they start college.
(b) At the earliest possible age.
(c) When they look for a first job.
(d) When they are in high school.
11. In the last chapters of the book, what is Rodriguez keeping secret from his family?
(a) That he dropped out of school.
(b) That he wants to be a construction worker.
(c) That he's writing a book.
(d) That he no longer goes to church.
12. What comment from a professor makes Rodriguez rethink his use of the label "minority student"?
(a) That he does not count as a minority.
(b) That his opinion is based on his minority status.
(c) That he automatically gets an "A" because he is a minority.
(d) That he is a bad writer because he is a minority.
13. Why does Rodriguez's mother not understand his explanation about psychiatry?
(a) Because she has a cultural attitude about private life and public life.
(b) Because she has a cultural attitude about writers.
(c) Because he is explaining in English.
(d) Because he does not tell her the truth.
14. Because of his skin color, what did Rodriguez's parents worry about?
(a) That he would have a harder time in school.
(b) That he would take a hard labor job.
(c) That people would discriminate against him.
(d) That he would get involved with a gang.
15. As an adult, what do people think his complexion says about him?
(a) That he is rich and lives a life of luxury.
(b) That he spends a lot of time indoors.
(c) That he is unhealthy.
(d) That he is poor and works in the sun all day.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Mr. Secrets, Chapter 1, what does Rodriguez's mother beg him not to do?
2. According to Rodriguez, what did some sympathetic professors do for black students who were struggling?
3. Does Rodriguez believe that his mother knows about his book?
4. What term does Rodriguez's mother ask him to explain?
5. Now that he is a teacher, what does Rodriguez blame white students for?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)