|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rodriguez aware of when he visits his rich friends?
(a) His friends talk about skin color differently than his family does.
(b) His friends are fascinated by his skin color.
(c) His friends treat him differently because of his skin color.
(d) There are dark-skinned servants, but he is a friend, not a servant.
2. Based on her behavior, who does Rodriguez's mother consider part of the "gringos"?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her children's friends and spouses.
(c) Her next door neighbors.
(d) Her grandchildren.
3. Does Rodriguez believe that his mother knows about his book?
(a) No, but he is afraid she will find his manuscript and read it.
(b) Yes, but she will not admit it.
4. Why does Rodriguez's mother call him "Mr. Secrets"?
(a) Because he likes to surprise them.
(b) Because he does not talk to his family.
(c) Because he hides things from his family.
(d) Because he lies to his family.
5. Based on his conversation with his classmate, what does Rodriguez decide?
(a) To only take a job if he knows he did not get it through affirmative action.
(b) To take the best job that was offered to him.
(c) To take the worst job that was offered to him.
(d) Not to take any of the teaching jobs.
6. According to Rodriguez's family, how are men supposed to be?
(a) Tough, aggressive, and bossy.
(b) Ruggedly handsome, strong in character, and responsible.
(c) Gentle, polite, and soft-spoken.
(d) Intelligent, kind, and good at providing for a family.
7. How does Rodriguez change his religious practices?
(a) He starts praying more regularly.
(b) He goes to mass every day.
(c) He stops going to mass at all.
(d) He stops going to confession and listens to his conscience instead of the priest.
8. In Complexion, Chapter 3, what does Rodriguez realize about education?
(a) It changes how people look at the world.
(b) It provides better job options.
(c) It is a waste of time.
(d) It gives people a voice.
9. In Complexion, Chapter 3, what new hobby does Rodriguez take up?
(a) Long-distance running.
(d) Scuba diving.
10. How does Rodriguez's sister feel about her children's complexions?
(a) She wants them to take care of their skin so they are more attractive.
(b) She is relieved when they are light-skinned.
(c) She is disappointed that they do not look more like her.
(d) She is relieved when they are dark-skinned.
11. What does Rodriguez have to face in order to write the book?
(a) His attitudes about religion.
(b) His past.
(c) His family history.
(d) His own mistakes.
12. What does Rodriguez learn about complexion from his family?
(a) Light skin is ugly.
(b) Dark skin is ugly.
(c) Be proud of your complexion, no matter what.
(d) Complexion does not matter.
13. Where does Rodriguez go for his fellowship?
(a) Mexico City.
14. What has happened to Rodriguez's classmate who applied for the same type of teaching jobs?
(a) He gets one or two offers from out-of-state schools.
(b) He does not get any job offers.
(c) He is told the schools will not hire a minority candidate.
(d) He gets lots of good job offers.
15. According to Rodriguez's family, what is wrong with Richard?
(a) He needs to be more responsible.
(b) He is more like a woman because he talks a lot and has soft hands.
(c) He needs to talk more when he is at home.
(d) He needs to work at hard labor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez describe the 1970s student?
2. Is Rodriguez's classmate as good a student as Rodriguez is?
3. How does Rodriguez feel about writing a book on his family?
4. In Credo, Chapter 3, what does Rodriguez do to change his ideas about religion?
5. What does Rodriguez's editor say about his idea for a book?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)