|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rodriguez gets a summer job during college , what does it teach him about "real work"?
(a) It would take him more than three months to learn how to do it successfully.
(b) He likes real work better than academic work.
(c) He does not like real work.
(d) Real work is much easier than academic work.
2. What is the Third World Student Movement?
(a) Students who volunteer in third world countries.
(b) Students who come from third world countries to attend school in the United States.
(c) Students who attend college but embrace their cultural heritage instead of sacrificing it.
(d) Students who are studying third world countries in college.
3. At what stage in their academic career does Rodriguez believe students need help?
(a) When they start school.
(b) When they start college.
(c) During the last two years of high school.
(d) When they start high school.
4. Based on his conversation with his classmate, what does Rodriguez decide?
(a) To only take a job if he knows he did not get it through affirmative action.
(b) Not to take any of the teaching jobs.
(c) To take the worst job that was offered to him.
(d) To take the best job that was offered to him.
5. What example does Rodriguez offer of how affirmative action can have negative consequences?
(a) Students who flunked out of college.
(b) Students who were helped by affirmative action, but then did not help their fellow minorities.
(c) Students he knew in graduate school who had never written a paper.
(d) His own experience as a minority who struggled in college.
6. What does Rodriguez think of his parents' ideas on religion?
(a) They are too simple.
(b) They are deep and profound.
(c) They just do what the priest tells them to do.
(d) They are based on good Church teachings.
7. What does Rodriguez's editor say about his idea for a book?
(a) Writing it will be a lonely experience.
(b) He will upset a lot of people.
(c) It is not an interesting idea.
(d) It could be a best-seller.
8. How does Rodriguez describe the changes in the mass that happen as he grows up?
(a) It becomes more formal and structured.
(b) It is more like a prayer than a community celebration.
(c) It is more like a community celebration than a prayer.
(d) It becomes less formal.
9. When he was a child, what did his parents say he looked like?
(a) A poor Mexican man who works in the sun.
(b) A ghost.
(c) A sick child.
(d) A wealthy boy who does not work.
10. Why does Rodriguez's mother call him "Mr. Secrets"?
(a) Because he lies to his family.
(b) Because he hides things from his family.
(c) Because he likes to surprise them.
(d) Because he does not talk to his family.
11. Does Rodriguez believe that his mother knows about his book?
(a) No, but he is afraid she will find his manuscript and read it.
(d) Yes, but she will not admit it.
12. What is Rodriguez's complexion like?
(a) He has bad acne.
(b) He is dark-skinned.
(c) He looks like a white boy.
(d) He is light-skinned.
13. According to Rodriguez, who does affirmative action help?
(a) White students who want an excuse for not getting into school.
(b) Minority students who already have some advantages.
(c) All minority students.
(d) White college professors who feel guilty about the Civil Rights Movement.
14. What happens to Rodriguez as a result of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr's assassination?
(a) He gets more scholarships and opportunities.
(b) He becomes involved in the Civil Rights Movement.
(c) He is scared to pursue more education.
(d) He loses his scholarship to a black student.
15. What is Rodriguez aware of when he visits his rich friends?
(a) There are dark-skinned servants, but he is a friend, not a servant.
(b) His friends talk about skin color differently than his family does.
(c) His friends are fascinated by his skin color.
(d) His friends treat him differently because of his skin color.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez think about his ability to succeed with women?
2. What changes Rodriguez's ideas about his complexion?
3. In the last chapters of the book, what is Rodriguez keeping secret from his family?
4. What is the main reason for Rodriguez's success?
5. How does Rodriguez change his religious practices?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)