|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mr. Secrets, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Because of his skin color, what did Rodriguez's parents worry about?
(a) That he would get involved with a gang.
(b) That he would take a hard labor job.
(c) That he would have a harder time in school.
(d) That people would discriminate against him.
2. What does Rodriguez say would be the disadvantage of bilingual education?
(a) It would make it easier to cheat on tests.
(b) It would make him lazy about learning English.
(c) It would limit the things he could study in school.
(d) It would mean he was only in class with other people who spoke Spanish.
3. What does Rodriguez's teacher tell him about reading and complicated ideas?
(a) He needs to read 5,000 books to have a complicated idea.
(b) People who do not read cannot have complicated ideas.
(c) Reading will teach him complicated ideas.
(d) He needs to read 2,000 books to have a complicated idea.
4. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
(a) They say it as if they are impressed to know him.
(b) They mispronounce it.
(c) They pronounce it differently than his Spanish-speaking family.
(d) They say his name just like everyone else's name.
5. When Rodriguez applies for teaching jobs, what happens?
(a) He does not get any job offers.
(b) He gets one or two offers from out-of-state schools.
(c) He gets lots of good job offers.
(d) He is told the schools will not hire a minority candidate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Rodriguez's classmate who applied for the same type of teaching jobs?
2. Where does Rodriguez go for his fellowship?
3. What is Rodriguez aware of when he visits his rich friends?
4. Did Rodriguez's parents get the same amount of education that he did?
5. How does Rodriguez say that the white students react to affirmative action?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)