|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mr. Secrets, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rodriguez say he is writing this book?
(a) To explain how hard school is for children who do not speak English.
(b) To complain about the bad schools he attended.
(c) To study how he became the person he is today.
(d) To encourage other people to get a good education.
2. As a child, how does Rodriguez feel about speaking English?
(a) He thinks it is a waste of time.
(b) He is eager to learn to speak English.
(c) He is proud that he learns to speak English well.
(d) He is afraid of it.
3. How does Rodriguez's sister's friend challenge his ideas about complexion?
(a) She is black, but not poor.
(b) She is dark-skinned but spends more time indoors than he does.
(c) She is light-skinned but spends more time outdoors than he does.
(d) She is white, but not rich.
4. How does a newspaper affect Rodriguez's reading habits?
(a) He decides to read all the book on the bestseller list.
(b) An article explains why reading books can help you do well on tests, so he reads even more books.
(c) He decides to read the newspaper instead of books.
(d) An article describes 100 important books and he decides to read all of them.
5. How does a scholarship boy form his own ideas or opinions?
(a) He bases his ideas on what his classmates tell him.
(b) He bases his ideas on what he learns in class.
(c) He learns about other's ideas and opinions, but does not have his own ideas.
(d) He bases his ideas on what his teacher tells him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What comment from a professor makes Rodriguez rethink his use of the label "minority student"?
2. Where did Rodriguez teach in the 1960s and 1970s?
3. What is one thing that Rodriguez says happened to black students promoted through affirmative action?
4. Who teaches Rodriguez that stereotypes are not accurate?
5. What does Rodriguez think about his ability to succeed with women?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)