|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mr. Secrets, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rodriguez, who does affirmative action help?
(a) White college professors who feel guilty about the Civil Rights Movement.
(b) White students who want an excuse for not getting into school.
(c) All minority students.
(d) Minority students who already have some advantages.
2. How does Rodriguez think about the old religious traditions of his childhood?
(a) He misses the ritual.
(b) He thinks those traditions are only suitable for people like his parents.
(c) He thinks they are old-fashioned and silly.
(d) He is glad the traditions have changed.
3. What does Rodriguez tell his mother about talking to strangers?
(a) Talking to strangers is more difficult in Spanish than English.
(b) There are some things so intimate it is easier to say them to strangers.
(c) Talking to strangers is always difficult.
(d) She needs to learn how to talk to strangers more easily.
4. Why does Rodriguez use the label "minority student"?
(a) To announce that he is proud of his ethnicity.
(b) To get sympathy from professors.
(c) To prove that Hispanics can succeed in school.
(d) To get scholarships.
5. What does his mother think about his reading?
(a) She is proud of him for reading so much.
(b) She does not understand it.
(c) She wishes he would read less and go play sports.
(d) She hopes that he can teach her to read better.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
2. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
3. In Complexion, Chapter 2, what does Rodriguez do to try to change his skin color?
4. When Rodriguez applies for teaching jobs, what happens?
5. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)