|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mr. Secrets, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez tell his mother about talking to strangers?
(a) There are some things so intimate it is easier to say them to strangers.
(b) Talking to strangers is more difficult in Spanish than English.
(c) She needs to learn how to talk to strangers more easily.
(d) Talking to strangers is always difficult.
2. How does Rodriguez's mother react to his educational accomplishments?
(a) She tries to help him with his homework.
(b) She does not care if he does well in school.
(c) She asks questions and is pleased when he wins awards.
(d) She is embarrassed because her smart son does not speak Spanish well.
3. How does Rodriguez's sister's friend challenge his ideas about complexion?
(a) She is white, but not rich.
(b) She is black, but not poor.
(c) She is light-skinned but spends more time outdoors than he does.
(d) She is dark-skinned but spends more time indoors than he does.
4. How does Rodriguez's grandmother affect his ideas on language?
(a) Translating her stories shows him how things get lost in translation.
(b) She tells him Spanish is the best language.
(c) Her stubborn refusal to speak English shows him how people cling to old ideas.
(d) Translating her stories helps him realize that intimacy is not connected to one language.
5. How do Rodriguez's parents see themselves in American society?
(a) They can participate in it, but they keep themselves separate.
(b) They are totally separate from American society.
(c) They are a part of American society.
(d) They want to be more a part of American society than they are.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
2. How does Rodriguez feel about his family background?
3. How does Rodriguez describe himself now?
4. When he is a child, what do people say about Rodriguez's complexion?
5. In Aria, Chapter 3, why does Rodriguez's family tease him?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)