|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mr. Secrets, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one thing that Rodriguez says happened to black students promoted through affirmative action?
(a) They succeeded beyond anyone's expectations.
(b) They were a great example for future generations of black students.
(c) They did not do any better than students who "earned" their way in.
(d) Some of them failed because they did not have a strong educational background.
2. Rodriguez describes events that happened how many years ago?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 30 years.
(d) 5 years.
3. Is Rodriguez's education affected by his religion? If so, how?
(a) Yes, because he spends his whole day praying and does not study.
(b) Yes, because he only studies religious material.
(c) No, because his education is not a religious education.
(d) Yes, because his education is scheduled around religious services.
4. According to Rodriguez, what is wrong with speaking a private language in public?
(a) It is embarrassing.
(b) Most people will not understand what is being said.
(c) It prevents people from learning the public language.
(d) It will eventually stop being a private language.
5. Why does Rodriguez's mother not understand his explanation about psychiatry?
(a) Because she has a cultural attitude about writers.
(b) Because he is explaining in English.
(c) Because she has a cultural attitude about private life and public life.
(d) Because he does not tell her the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez's father react to his educational accomplishments?
2. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
3. Where does Rodriguez go for his fellowship?
4. How does Rodriguez's sister's friend challenge his ideas about complexion?
5. According to Rodriguez, what did some sympathetic professors do for black students who were struggling?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)