|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Mr. Secrets, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez's teacher tell him about reading and complicated ideas?
(a) People who do not read cannot have complicated ideas.
(b) Reading will teach him complicated ideas.
(c) He needs to read 5,000 books to have a complicated idea.
(d) He needs to read 2,000 books to have a complicated idea.
2. When he graduates, where does Rodriguez live?
(a) With his brother.
(b) With his girlfriend.
(c) In his own apartment.
(d) With his parents.
3. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
(a) To talk about his bad behavior.
(b) To ask his parents to volunteer at the school.
(c) To meet his parents.
(d) To ask the family to practice speaking English.
4. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
(a) He can have them with his family in spite of the language barrier.
(b) Intimate conversations are hard to have in the "public" language.
(c) He will never be able to have them with his family because of the language barrier.
(d) He can no longer have an intimate conversation in Spanish.
5. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
(a) The family loses some of its closeness.
(b) The children start disobeying their parents.
(c) The parents depend on the children to do the talking in public.
(d) The family grows closer together.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
2. What is the main reason for Rodriguez's success?
3. At what stage in their academic career does Rodriguez believe students need help?
4. How does Rodriguez's father react to his educational accomplishments?
5. How does Rodriguez's grandmother affect his ideas on language?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)