|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Complexion, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
(a) They say his name just like everyone else's name.
(b) They pronounce it differently than his Spanish-speaking family.
(c) They mispronounce it.
(d) They say it as if they are impressed to know him.
2. What religion does Rodriguez's family practice?
3. What does Rodriguez's teacher tell him about reading and complicated ideas?
(a) Reading will teach him complicated ideas.
(b) He needs to read 2,000 books to have a complicated idea.
(c) People who do not read cannot have complicated ideas.
(d) He needs to read 5,000 books to have a complicated idea.
4. How do Rodriguez's friends affect his religious practices?
(a) His friends are all non-religious.
(b) His friends are all non-Catholic.
(c) His friends want him to go to mass with them every day.
(d) His friends all practice different religions.
5. Does Rodriguez believe that not speaking English well has consequences for his parents?
(a) No, because they always stayed in places where the other people spoke Spanish, too.
(b) Yes, because they could not talk to the doctor if they were sick.
(c) No, he says they did all right in spite of the language problems.
(d) Yes, he thinks they got cheated out of money because of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the "scholarship boy" described?
2. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
3. What is Rodriguez told about reading the Bible?
4. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
5. As Rodriguez reaches the end of his education, what does he have to confront?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)