|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Complexion, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez's grandmother affect his ideas on language?
(a) Her stubborn refusal to speak English shows him how people cling to old ideas.
(b) She tells him Spanish is the best language.
(c) Translating her stories shows him how things get lost in translation.
(d) Translating her stories helps him realize that intimacy is not connected to one language.
2. As he finishes his education, does Rodriguez think his parents still love him? How do you know?
(a) Yes, because they throw him a graduation party.
(b) Yes, because they try to talk to him.
(c) No, because they do not talk to him.
(d) Yes, because there are intimate gestures even though they do not talk much.
3. What does Rodriguez's teacher tell him about reading and complicated ideas?
(a) People who do not read cannot have complicated ideas.
(b) He needs to read 2,000 books to have a complicated idea.
(c) Reading will teach him complicated ideas.
(d) He needs to read 5,000 books to have a complicated idea.
4. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
(a) Studying with a classmate.
(b) Learning English from listening to the radio.
(c) Practicing English with his family.
(d) Getting extra help from the teacher.
5. When Rodriguez gets a summer job during college , what does it teach him about "real work"?
(a) It would take him more than three months to learn how to do it successfully.
(b) He likes real work better than academic work.
(c) He does not like real work.
(d) Real work is much easier than academic work.
Short Answer Questions
1. While he studies at Stanford, what does Rodriguez do to make money?
2. When he was a child, what did his parents say he looked like?
3. How does Rodriguez feel when he observes the group of black teenagers on the bus?
4. Is Rodriguez's education affected by his religion? If so, how?
5. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)