|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Credo, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once Rodriguez takes the reading class, how does he feel about reading and books?
(a) He thinks reading is hard, but books are interesting.
(b) He loves it and wants to read all the books he can find.
(c) He feels that reading is important, and his parents should read more.
(d) He thinks it is boring.
2. How do Rodriguez's parents respond when he wants to go to Stanford?
(a) They are proud of him, but they worry about how expensive it will be for him to go away to school.
(b) They refuse to pay for his education.
(c) They worry about him going so far away.
(d) They brag to everyone about their son, the Stanford student.
3. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
(a) Bored, because he does not really want to learn it.
(b) Proud, because it is a hard language to learn.
(c) Guilty, because he feels like he has damaged his family's close relationship.
(d) Frustrated, because he does not learn it very well.
4. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
(b) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
(c) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
(d) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
5. How does Rodriguez feel when he observes the group of black teenagers on the bus?
(a) He wishes he could be their friend.
(b) He is scared because they look tough.
(c) He is irritated because they are noisy.
(d) He envies their close bond.
Short Answer Questions
1. In The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4, what is Rodriguez afraid to admit?
2. What is Rodriguez taught about marrying someone of a different religion?
3. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
4. What does Rodriguez's family call him?
5. What does his mother think about his reading?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)