|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Credo, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Rodriguez reaches the end of his education, what does he have to confront?
(a) His need to get a job.
(b) The discrimination he experiences as a Hispanic man.
(c) His lack of any friends or girlfriends.
(d) His damaged relationship with his parents.
2. When does Rodriguez begin to question his religion?
(a) When he is in college.
(b) After he graduates from school.
(c) When he starts to read more books.
(d) When they tell him not to ask questions about religion.
3. What is Rodriguez taught about marrying someone of a different religion?
(a) It is all right if both families approve of it.
(b) It is difficult to make it work.
(c) It is a sin.
(d) It is a good idea.
4. In The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4, what is Rodriguez afraid to admit?
(a) He will have to leave school soon.
(b) He does not like his family very much.
(c) He longs for his own past.
(d) He still does not like reading very much.
5. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
(a) Bilingual education should reinforce the separation of the two languages.
(b) Bilingual students feel separated from their education in an English-only classroom.
(c) Other languages reinforce the idea that the students are separate from the larger society.
(d) Students will learn better if they feel they are separate from English-speaking students.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Rodriguez, what is wrong with speaking a private language in public?
2. Does Rodriguez believe that not speaking English well has consequences for his parents?
3. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
4. Why does Rodriguez say he is writing this book?
5. Where does Rodriguez start school?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)