|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
(a) He is not really interested in them.
(b) He is afraid of them.
(c) He thinks they are boring.
(d) He is excited to learn to read.
2. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
(a) He thinks it would have helped him a lot.
(b) He disagrees with it.
(c) He thinks it is too hard on the teacher.
(d) He thinks it makes students work harder.
3. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
(a) They pronounce it differently than his Spanish-speaking family.
(b) They say it as if they are impressed to know him.
(c) They say his name just like everyone else's name.
(d) They mispronounce it.
4. What does his mother think about his reading?
(a) She is proud of him for reading so much.
(b) She does not understand it.
(c) She hopes that he can teach her to read better.
(d) She wishes he would read less and go play sports.
5. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
(a) It was the worst thing that ever happened to him.
(b) It was the best thing that ever happened to him.
(c) He has conflicting feelings.
(d) He is angry that they did not have programs for bilingual children when he went to school.
Short Answer Questions
1. As he finishes his education, does Rodriguez think his parents still love him? How do you know?
2. In The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4, what is Rodriguez afraid to admit?
3. Where does Rodriguez start school?
4. What does Rodriguez's family call him?
5. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)