|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Rodriguez's parents respond when he wants to go to Stanford?
(a) They are proud of him, but they worry about how expensive it will be for him to go away to school.
(b) They refuse to pay for his education.
(c) They brag to everyone about their son, the Stanford student.
(d) They worry about him going so far away.
2. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
(a) To ask his parents to volunteer at the school.
(b) To talk about his bad behavior.
(c) To ask the family to practice speaking English.
(d) To meet his parents.
3. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
(a) That he can express himself better in English than in Spanish.
(b) That language is how a person maintains their intimacy with other people.
(c) That intimacy is about the relationship between the people, not about what language they speak.
(d) That Spanish is always a more intimate language that English.
4. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
(a) He gets angry at them for speaking Spanish.
(b) He tells them to be quiet and let him do the talking.
(c) He corrects their grammar.
(d) He teaches them how to speak English.
5. How does Rodriguez's father change as the family starts to speak English more?
(a) He complains about using English.
(b) He grows quieter because he is uncomfortable with English.
(c) He takes classes to learn English.
(d) He gets upset and insists that they speak to him in Spanish.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rodriguez believe Spanish should be spoken?
2. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
3. What does Rodriguez's family call him?
4. When he graduates, where does Rodriguez live?
5. What does his mother think about his reading?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)