|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
(a) She complains about using English.
(b) She learns more English and works hard to talk to her children.
(c) She helps her children learn more English.
(d) She gets upset and insists that they speak to her in Spanish.
2. What does his mother think about his reading?
(a) She does not understand it.
(b) She hopes that he can teach her to read better.
(c) She wishes he would read less and go play sports.
(d) She is proud of him for reading so much.
3. What does Rodriguez's family call him?
4. As Rodriguez moves into college and graduate school, how does his relationship with his parents change?
(a) They argue a lot.
(b) They ask him a lot more questions about his studies.
(c) They start talking again.
(d) They have even less to say to each other.
5. How is the "scholarship boy" described?
(a) A good student but a troubled son.
(b) A good son who wants to please his parents.
(c) A good student who is guaranteed to succeed.
(d) A good son but a troubled student.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez's teacher tell him about reading and complicated ideas?
2. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
3. According to Rodriguez, what is wrong with speaking a private language in public?
4. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
5. Does Rodriguez believe that not speaking English well has consequences for his parents?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)