|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez describe the sound of English?
(a) Flat and boring.
(b) Loud and confident.
(c) Awkward and confusing.
(d) Weak and quiet.
2. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
(b) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
(c) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
(d) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
3. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
(a) Students will learn better if they feel they are separate from English-speaking students.
(b) Bilingual education should reinforce the separation of the two languages.
(c) Bilingual students feel separated from their education in an English-only classroom.
(d) Other languages reinforce the idea that the students are separate from the larger society.
4. How does Rodriguez feel when he observes the group of black teenagers on the bus?
(a) He is irritated because they are noisy.
(b) He envies their close bond.
(c) He wishes he could be their friend.
(d) He is scared because they look tough.
5. What does Rodriguez start to notice about English?
(a) How much English helps him do better in school.
(b) Words he understands now that he did not understand before.
(c) How much easier it is to say things in English than in Spanish.
(d) Sounds and tones he previously ignored.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Rodriguez's parents get the same amount of education that he did?
2. How does Rodriguez's father react to his educational accomplishments?
3. Where does Rodriguez find the description of the "scholarship boy"?
4. Does Rodriguez believe that not speaking English well has consequences for his parents?
5. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)