|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rodriguez say he is writing this book?
(a) To complain about the bad schools he attended.
(b) To explain how hard school is for children who do not speak English.
(c) To study how he became the person he is today.
(d) To encourage other people to get a good education.
2. Where do Rodriguez's parents speak Spanish and where do they speak English?
(a) English at home, Spanish in public.
(b) English everywhere.
(c) Spanish at home, English in public.
(d) Spanish everywhere.
3. How does Rodriguez's father react to his educational accomplishments?
(a) He teases him, but is still proud of him.
(b) He throws away Richard's diploma.
(c) He does not care if Richard does well in school.
(d) He says college is a waste of time.
4. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
(a) That language is how a person maintains their intimacy with other people.
(b) That intimacy is about the relationship between the people, not about what language they speak.
(c) That Spanish is always a more intimate language that English.
(d) That he can express himself better in English than in Spanish.
5. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
(a) He thinks they are boring.
(b) He is not really interested in them.
(c) He is afraid of them.
(d) He is excited to learn to read.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez see as the value of a book?
2. How does Rodriguez feel when he observes the group of black teenagers on the bus?
3. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
4. How does Rodriguez describe his life as a child?
5. How does a scholarship boy form his own ideas or opinions?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)