|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez feel about his family background?
(a) He wants to know more about it.
(b) He does not think about it too much.
(c) He is embarrassed by it.
(d) He is proud of it.
2. As Rodriguez moves into college and graduate school, how does his relationship with his parents change?
(a) They ask him a lot more questions about his studies.
(b) They have even less to say to each other.
(c) They argue a lot.
(d) They start talking again.
3. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
(a) His English is very limited.
(b) He does not speak English at all.
(c) He speaks English pretty well.
(d) He is fluent in English and Spanish.
4. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
(a) He can have them with his family in spite of the language barrier.
(b) He can no longer have an intimate conversation in Spanish.
(c) Intimate conversations are hard to have in the "public" language.
(d) He will never be able to have them with his family because of the language barrier.
5. What does Rodriguez say is the real reason for his success?
(a) Working very hard.
(b) Reading every book he could find.
(c) Remembering what his life was like before he was educated.
(d) Kissing up to the teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez's father react to his educational accomplishments?
2. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
3. How does Rodriguez describe himself as a child?
4. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
5. What does Rodriguez say education does to the scholarship boy?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)