|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a child, how does Rodriguez feel about speaking English?
(a) He is eager to learn to speak English.
(b) He thinks it is a waste of time.
(c) He is afraid of it.
(d) He is proud that he learns to speak English well.
2. In The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4, how does Rodriguez describe his relationship with his parents?
(a) They are "the old way and the new way."
(b) They are "culturally separated."
(c) They are "warm but uncomfortable."
(d) They are "strangers and relatives."
3. How does Rodriguez feel about his family background?
(a) He is proud of it.
(b) He wants to know more about it.
(c) He is embarrassed by it.
(d) He does not think about it too much.
4. What does Rodriguez say is the real reason for his success?
(a) Working very hard.
(b) Kissing up to the teacher.
(c) Remembering what his life was like before he was educated.
(d) Reading every book he could find.
5. What does Rodriguez call the English-speaking people his family interacts with?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
2. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
3. As Rodriguez moves into college and graduate school, how does his relationship with his parents change?
4. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
5. What does Rodriguez say would be the disadvantage of bilingual education?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)