|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
(b) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
(c) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
(d) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
2. How does Rodriguez describe himself as a child?
(a) Socially disadvantaged.
(b) Spoiled and bratty.
(c) Comfortable with English- and Spanish-speaking people.
(d) A wild troublemaker.
3. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
(a) Their mother talks to them a lot, but their father never speaks to them.
(b) They talk less because it is hard for the parents to understand their children when they speak English.
(c) Their mother and father speak to them, but they no longer talk to their grandmother.
(d) They enjoy speaking Spanish together more.
4. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
(a) More friends.
(b) Better grades.
(c) A chance to go to college.
(d) A place in public society.
5. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
(a) Rodriguez is embarrassed because he thinks everyone should speak English.
(b) Rodriguez is frustrated because he thinks those families are making it harder for their children to learn English.
(c) Rodriguez is pleased to know that Spanish is still being spoken in people's homes.
(d) Rodriguez is sad because it reminds him of the closeness his family lost.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
2. Did Rodriguez's parents get the same amount of education that he did?
3. Where does Rodriguez believe English should be spoken?
4. How does a scholarship boy form his own ideas or opinions?
5. Who does Rodriguez say surrounds him now?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)