|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
(a) He is not really interested in them.
(b) He is excited to learn to read.
(c) He thinks they are boring.
(d) He is afraid of them.
2. Why does Rodriguez say he is writing this book?
(a) To encourage other people to get a good education.
(b) To explain how hard school is for children who do not speak English.
(c) To study how he became the person he is today.
(d) To complain about the bad schools he attended.
3. What does Rodriguez wonder about his parents and his education?
(a) If they can help him with his homework.
(b) If they think he is trying hard enough in class.
(c) If they think he should be studying a different subject.
(d) If they will understand the knowledge he gains.
4. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
(a) That Spanish is always a more intimate language that English.
(b) That he can express himself better in English than in Spanish.
(c) That language is how a person maintains their intimacy with other people.
(d) That intimacy is about the relationship between the people, not about what language they speak.
5. In The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4, how does Rodriguez describe his relationship with his parents?
(a) They are "strangers and relatives."
(b) They are "warm but uncomfortable."
(c) They are "the old way and the new way."
(d) They are "culturally separated."
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a newspaper affect Rodriguez's reading habits?
2. When he graduates, where does Rodriguez live?
3. Where does Rodriguez believe Spanish should be spoken?
4. Who does Rodriguez say surrounds him now?
5. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)