|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
(a) Are your brothers and sisters as smart as you are?
(b) Did you benefit from affirmative action?
(c) How did you manage your success?
(d) Can I have your autograph?
2. Does Rodriguez believe that not speaking English well has consequences for his parents?
(a) Yes, because they could not talk to the doctor if they were sick.
(b) Yes, he thinks they got cheated out of money because of it.
(c) No, he says they did all right in spite of the language problems.
(d) No, because they always stayed in places where the other people spoke Spanish, too.
3. Where does Rodriguez start school?
(a) In Sacramento, California.
(b) In St. Paul, Minnesota.
(c) In New York City.
(d) In Miami, Florida.
4. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
(a) He used it to motivate him to try harder.
(b) He used it as an excuse to not work very hard.
(c) He does not complain about the change because he is so glad to be well-educated.
(d) He used it to explain to people what his life was like before he was educated.
5. What does Rodriguez's family seem to think about Spanish and English?
(a) Richard should learn to speak only in English to be more successful.
(b) Richard needs to remember his Spanish, even if that hurts his education.
(c) Spanish and English are equally good languages.
(d) Richard should speak only Spanish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
2. What does Rodriguez start to notice about English?
3. How does Rodriguez describe himself as a child?
4. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
5. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)