|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
(a) He would feel more comfortable in the classroom.
(b) He could ask the teacher questions more easily.
(c) He would get better grades.
(d) He could understand the homework assignments better.
2. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
(a) He is excited to learn to read.
(b) He is not really interested in them.
(c) He thinks they are boring.
(d) He is afraid of them.
3. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
(a) It starts to mean "a non-Hispanic American" as opposed to the "other" or "outsider" that it used to imply.
(b) The children do not like their parents to use that word any more.
(c) They stop saying it because they no longer use Spanish words.
(d) They use it to compliment each other on how well they speak English.
4. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
(a) Guilty, because he feels like he has damaged his family's close relationship.
(b) Proud, because it is a hard language to learn.
(c) Frustrated, because he does not learn it very well.
(d) Bored, because he does not really want to learn it.
5. What does Rodriguez's teacher tell him about reading and complicated ideas?
(a) Reading will teach him complicated ideas.
(b) People who do not read cannot have complicated ideas.
(c) He needs to read 5,000 books to have a complicated idea.
(d) He needs to read 2,000 books to have a complicated idea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say is the real reason for his success?
2. Rodriguez describes events that happened how many years ago?
3. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
4. According to Rodriguez, what is wrong with speaking a private language in public?
5. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)