|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rodriguez say surrounds him now?
(a) Spanish-speaking immigrants.
(b) Rich people.
(c) Politicians and lawmakers.
(d) The children he teaches.
2. As Rodriguez reaches the end of his education, what does he have to confront?
(a) His damaged relationship with his parents.
(b) His lack of any friends or girlfriends.
(c) His need to get a job.
(d) The discrimination he experiences as a Hispanic man.
3. How does the scholarship boy use education?
(a) To change himself.
(b) To get a good job.
(c) To make friends.
(d) To make money.
4. Did Rodriguez's brother and sister tell him what to expect at school?
(a) No, he was the first one in his family to go to school.
(b) They told him to be good and listen to the teacher.
(c) No, they never talked about it.
(d) They told him he would have fun.
5. How does Rodriguez's mother react to his educational accomplishments?
(a) She is embarrassed because her smart son does not speak Spanish well.
(b) She does not care if he does well in school.
(c) She tries to help him with his homework.
(d) She asks questions and is pleased when he wins awards.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the "scholarship boy" described?
2. How does Rodriguez's grandmother affect his ideas on language?
3. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
4. What do teachers think of the scholarship boy?
5. How do Rodriguez's parents respond when he wants to go to Stanford?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)