|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
(a) They say it as if they are impressed to know him.
(b) They say his name just like everyone else's name.
(c) They mispronounce it.
(d) They pronounce it differently than his Spanish-speaking family.
2. When he graduates, where does Rodriguez live?
(a) With his girlfriend.
(b) With his brother.
(c) In his own apartment.
(d) With his parents.
3. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
(a) They enjoy speaking Spanish together more.
(b) Their mother talks to them a lot, but their father never speaks to them.
(c) They talk less because it is hard for the parents to understand their children when they speak English.
(d) Their mother and father speak to them, but they no longer talk to their grandmother.
4. What does Rodriguez say education does to the scholarship boy?
(a) It teaches him to stand up for himself.
(b) It teaches him to look down on people who are not educated.
(c) It teaches him to fight for justice.
(d) It teaches him to be less unique and more like other people.
5. How does Rodriguez see the scholarship boy?
(a) As the teacher's puppet.
(b) As the future of the country.
(c) As the teacher's pet.
(d) As someone who is doomed to fail.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a newspaper affect Rodriguez's reading habits?
2. As a child, how does Rodriguez feel about speaking English?
3. How does Rodriguez's mother react to his educational accomplishments?
4. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
5. Once Rodriguez takes the reading class, how does he feel about reading and books?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)