|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
(a) He corrects their grammar.
(b) He tells them to be quiet and let him do the talking.
(c) He gets angry at them for speaking Spanish.
(d) He teaches them how to speak English.
2. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
(a) To ask the family to practice speaking English.
(b) To ask his parents to volunteer at the school.
(c) To meet his parents.
(d) To talk about his bad behavior.
3. As he finishes his education, does Rodriguez think his parents still love him? How do you know?
(a) Yes, because they try to talk to him.
(b) Yes, because they throw him a graduation party.
(c) No, because they do not talk to him.
(d) Yes, because there are intimate gestures even though they do not talk much.
4. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
(b) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
(c) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
(d) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
5. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
(a) Other languages reinforce the idea that the students are separate from the larger society.
(b) Bilingual education should reinforce the separation of the two languages.
(c) Students will learn better if they feel they are separate from English-speaking students.
(d) Bilingual students feel separated from their education in an English-only classroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the "scholarship boy" described?
2. What does Rodriguez start to notice about English?
3. What do teachers think of the scholarship boy?
4. As Rodriguez moves into college and graduate school, how does his relationship with his parents change?
5. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)