|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
(a) They pronounce it differently than his Spanish-speaking family.
(b) They mispronounce it.
(c) They say his name just like everyone else's name.
(d) They say it as if they are impressed to know him.
2. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
(a) To ask the family to practice speaking English.
(b) To talk about his bad behavior.
(c) To meet his parents.
(d) To ask his parents to volunteer at the school.
3. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
(a) He is excited to learn to read.
(b) He is afraid of them.
(c) He is not really interested in them.
(d) He thinks they are boring.
4. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
(a) That Spanish is always a more intimate language that English.
(b) That intimacy is about the relationship between the people, not about what language they speak.
(c) That he can express himself better in English than in Spanish.
(d) That language is how a person maintains their intimacy with other people.
5. In The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4, what is Rodriguez afraid to admit?
(a) He will have to leave school soon.
(b) He still does not like reading very much.
(c) He does not like his family very much.
(d) He longs for his own past.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the "scholarship boy" described?
2. How does Rodriguez describe his life as a child?
3. Did Rodriguez's parents get the same amount of education that he did?
4. What does Rodriguez start to notice about English?
5. What does Rodriguez say education does to the scholarship boy?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)