|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez describe himself now?
(a) A Latino activist.
(b) A middle-class American.
(c) An education expert.
(d) A famous author.
2. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
(b) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
(c) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
(d) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
3. How does Rodriguez describe the sound of English?
(a) Weak and quiet.
(b) Loud and confident.
(c) Flat and boring.
(d) Awkward and confusing.
4. Once Rodriguez takes the reading class, how does he feel about reading and books?
(a) He thinks it is boring.
(b) He thinks reading is hard, but books are interesting.
(c) He loves it and wants to read all the books he can find.
(d) He feels that reading is important, and his parents should read more.
5. What does Rodriguez's family seem to think about Spanish and English?
(a) Richard should learn to speak only in English to be more successful.
(b) Richard should speak only Spanish.
(c) Richard needs to remember his Spanish, even if that hurts his education.
(d) Spanish and English are equally good languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say would be the disadvantage of bilingual education?
2. In Aria, Chapter 3, why does Rodriguez's family tease him?
3. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
4. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
5. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)