|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Rodriguez like as a student?
(a) A bookworm who admired his teachers.
(b) A troublemaker who was bored in class.
(c) A slow learner who worked very hard.
(d) The kind of student to whom everything came easily.
2. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
(a) Bilingual education should reinforce the separation of the two languages.
(b) Other languages reinforce the idea that the students are separate from the larger society.
(c) Students will learn better if they feel they are separate from English-speaking students.
(d) Bilingual students feel separated from their education in an English-only classroom.
3. Where does Rodriguez believe Spanish should be spoken?
(a) In the classroom.
(b) In public.
(c) In private, with family or close friends.
4. How does the scholarship boy use education?
(a) To make money.
(b) To make friends.
(c) To change himself.
(d) To get a good job.
5. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
(a) He is fluent in English and Spanish.
(b) His English is very limited.
(c) He does not speak English at all.
(d) He speaks English pretty well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
2. Where do Rodriguez's parents speak Spanish and where do they speak English?
3. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
4. What does Rodriguez's family seem to think about Spanish and English?
5. How do Rodriguez's parents respond when he wants to go to Stanford?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)