|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Rodriguez say he is writing this book?
(a) To encourage other people to get a good education.
(b) To study how he became the person he is today.
(c) To complain about the bad schools he attended.
(d) To explain how hard school is for children who do not speak English.
2. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
(a) Did you benefit from affirmative action?
(b) Can I have your autograph?
(c) How did you manage your success?
(d) Are your brothers and sisters as smart as you are?
3. Where does Rodriguez believe Spanish should be spoken?
(a) In public.
(b) In the classroom.
(d) In private, with family or close friends.
4. As a child, how does Rodriguez feel about speaking English?
(a) He is proud that he learns to speak English well.
(b) He thinks it is a waste of time.
(c) He is eager to learn to speak English.
(d) He is afraid of it.
5. As Rodriguez reaches the end of his education, what does he have to confront?
(a) The discrimination he experiences as a Hispanic man.
(b) His damaged relationship with his parents.
(c) His need to get a job.
(d) His lack of any friends or girlfriends.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Rodriguez's parents respond when he wants to go to Stanford?
2. What does Rodriguez see as the value of a book?
3. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
4. How does Rodriguez feel about his family background?
5. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)