|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Rodriguez say surrounds him now?
(a) Spanish-speaking immigrants.
(b) The children he teaches.
(c) Politicians and lawmakers.
(d) Rich people.
2. As Rodriguez moves into graduate school, what does he realize about his education?
(a) He is afraid of failing in school.
(b) His parents will never be proud of his accomplishments.
(c) He is using it to hide from his life.
(d) He is the most educated person in his family.
3. Does Rodriguez believe that not speaking English well has consequences for his parents?
(a) Yes, he thinks they got cheated out of money because of it.
(b) No, he says they did all right in spite of the language problems.
(c) No, because they always stayed in places where the other people spoke Spanish, too.
(d) Yes, because they could not talk to the doctor if they were sick.
4. What does Rodriguez start to notice about English?
(a) How much easier it is to say things in English than in Spanish.
(b) Words he understands now that he did not understand before.
(c) How much English helps him do better in school.
(d) Sounds and tones he previously ignored.
5. Once Rodriguez takes the reading class, how does he feel about reading and books?
(a) He thinks reading is hard, but books are interesting.
(b) He loves it and wants to read all the books he can find.
(c) He feels that reading is important, and his parents should read more.
(d) He thinks it is boring.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
2. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
3. As a child, how does Rodriguez feel about speaking English?
4. Did Rodriguez's brother and sister tell him what to expect at school?
5. How does Rodriguez's education affect his relationship with his parents?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)