|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
(a) Words take their meaning from the relationship between the speakers.
(b) Intimate words should not be spoken in public.
(c) It is easier to be intimate in Spanish than in English.
(d) Some words are more intimate than others.
2. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
(a) He could understand the homework assignments better.
(b) He could ask the teacher questions more easily.
(c) He would get better grades.
(d) He would feel more comfortable in the classroom.
3. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
(a) Other languages reinforce the idea that the students are separate from the larger society.
(b) Students will learn better if they feel they are separate from English-speaking students.
(c) Bilingual students feel separated from their education in an English-only classroom.
(d) Bilingual education should reinforce the separation of the two languages.
4. What was Rodriguez like as a student?
(a) A troublemaker who was bored in class.
(b) A slow learner who worked very hard.
(c) The kind of student to whom everything came easily.
(d) A bookworm who admired his teachers.
5. How does Rodriguez feel when he observes the group of black teenagers on the bus?
(a) He is irritated because they are noisy.
(b) He is scared because they look tough.
(c) He wishes he could be their friend.
(d) He envies their close bond.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez's grandmother affect his ideas on language?
2. How do Rodriguez's parents respond when he wants to go to Stanford?
3. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
4. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
5. Did Rodriguez's brother and sister tell him what to expect at school?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)