|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
(a) Better grades.
(b) A place in public society.
(c) A chance to go to college.
(d) More friends.
2. How does Rodriguez describe himself now?
(a) A Latino activist.
(b) An education expert.
(c) A famous author.
(d) A middle-class American.
3. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) A telephone.
(b) A house.
(c) A new car.
(d) A television.
4. How does Rodriguez feel when he observes the group of black teenagers on the bus?
(a) He is irritated because they are noisy.
(b) He wishes he could be their friend.
(c) He envies their close bond.
(d) He is scared because they look tough.
5. What does Rodriguez call the English-speaking people his family interacts with?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Rodriguez like as a student?
2. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
3. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
4. What does Rodriguez start to notice about English?
5. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)