|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Rodriguez believe English should be spoken?
(a) In the classroom.
(c) In private, with family or close friends.
(d) In public.
2. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
(a) Rodriguez is frustrated because he thinks those families are making it harder for their children to learn English.
(b) Rodriguez is pleased to know that Spanish is still being spoken in people's homes.
(c) Rodriguez is sad because it reminds him of the closeness his family lost.
(d) Rodriguez is embarrassed because he thinks everyone should speak English.
3. How does Rodriguez describe himself as a child?
(a) Comfortable with English- and Spanish-speaking people.
(b) Spoiled and bratty.
(c) Socially disadvantaged.
(d) A wild troublemaker.
4. What does Rodriguez's family call him?
5. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
(a) More friends.
(b) Better grades.
(c) A chance to go to college.
(d) A place in public society.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
2. What does Rodriguez call the English-speaking people his family interacts with?
3. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
4. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
5. Who does Rodriguez say surrounds him now?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)