|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez feel about his family background?
(a) He is embarrassed by it.
(b) He does not think about it too much.
(c) He is proud of it.
(d) He wants to know more about it.
2. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
(a) That language is how a person maintains their intimacy with other people.
(b) That Spanish is always a more intimate language that English.
(c) That intimacy is about the relationship between the people, not about what language they speak.
(d) That he can express himself better in English than in Spanish.
3. What does Rodriguez say is the real reason for his success?
(a) Kissing up to the teacher.
(b) Reading every book he could find.
(c) Remembering what his life was like before he was educated.
(d) Working very hard.
4. How does Rodriguez describe his life as a child?
5. What was Rodriguez like as a student?
(a) A slow learner who worked very hard.
(b) A bookworm who admired his teachers.
(c) The kind of student to whom everything came easily.
(d) A troublemaker who was bored in class.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rodriguez start school?
2. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
3. What does Rodriguez's family seem to think about Spanish and English?
4. How does Rodriguez describe the sound of English?
5. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)