|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Rodriguez moves into college and graduate school, how does his relationship with his parents change?
(a) They have even less to say to each other.
(b) They ask him a lot more questions about his studies.
(c) They start talking again.
(d) They argue a lot.
2. Rodriguez describes events that happened how many years ago?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 30 years.
3. What does Rodriguez's family call him?
4. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
(a) Their mother and father speak to them, but they no longer talk to their grandmother.
(b) They talk less because it is hard for the parents to understand their children when they speak English.
(c) Their mother talks to them a lot, but their father never speaks to them.
(d) They enjoy speaking Spanish together more.
5. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
(a) He will never be able to have them with his family because of the language barrier.
(b) Intimate conversations are hard to have in the "public" language.
(c) He can no longer have an intimate conversation in Spanish.
(d) He can have them with his family in spite of the language barrier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
2. What was Rodriguez like as a student?
3. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
4. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
5. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)