|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
(a) To ask the family to practice speaking English.
(b) To ask his parents to volunteer at the school.
(c) To meet his parents.
(d) To talk about his bad behavior.
2. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
(a) Words take their meaning from the relationship between the speakers.
(b) Intimate words should not be spoken in public.
(c) It is easier to be intimate in Spanish than in English.
(d) Some words are more intimate than others.
3. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
(a) He tells them to be quiet and let him do the talking.
(b) He corrects their grammar.
(c) He teaches them how to speak English.
(d) He gets angry at them for speaking Spanish.
4. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
(a) She complains about using English.
(b) She learns more English and works hard to talk to her children.
(c) She helps her children learn more English.
(d) She gets upset and insists that they speak to her in Spanish.
5. As Rodriguez moves into college and graduate school, how does his relationship with his parents change?
(a) They ask him a lot more questions about his studies.
(b) They argue a lot.
(c) They have even less to say to each other.
(d) They start talking again.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Rodriguez's parents speak Spanish and where do they speak English?
2. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
3. Where does Rodriguez start school?
4. Where does Rodriguez find the description of the "scholarship boy"?
5. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)