|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
(a) He has conflicting feelings.
(b) It was the best thing that ever happened to him.
(c) He is angry that they did not have programs for bilingual children when he went to school.
(d) It was the worst thing that ever happened to him.
2. Why does Rodriguez say he is writing this book?
(a) To complain about the bad schools he attended.
(b) To explain how hard school is for children who do not speak English.
(c) To study how he became the person he is today.
(d) To encourage other people to get a good education.
3. Did Rodriguez's parents get the same amount of education that he did?
(b) No, and they did not want him to go to school so much, either.
(d) Yes, but they went to school in Mexico so they do not speak English very well.
4. What does Rodriguez wonder about his parents and his education?
(a) If they will understand the knowledge he gains.
(b) If they think he is trying hard enough in class.
(c) If they think he should be studying a different subject.
(d) If they can help him with his homework.
5. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
(a) Proud, because it is a hard language to learn.
(b) Bored, because he does not really want to learn it.
(c) Guilty, because he feels like he has damaged his family's close relationship.
(d) Frustrated, because he does not learn it very well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
2. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
3. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
4. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
5. In Aria, Chapter 3, why does Rodriguez's family tease him?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)