|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
(b) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
(c) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
(d) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
2. Where does Rodriguez start school?
(a) In Miami, Florida.
(b) In Sacramento, California.
(c) In St. Paul, Minnesota.
(d) In New York City.
3. Did Rodriguez's parents get the same amount of education that he did?
(c) Yes, but they went to school in Mexico so they do not speak English very well.
(d) No, and they did not want him to go to school so much, either.
4. How does Rodriguez describe himself as a child?
(a) Socially disadvantaged.
(b) Spoiled and bratty.
(c) A wild troublemaker.
(d) Comfortable with English- and Spanish-speaking people.
5. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
(a) Intimate words should not be spoken in public.
(b) Words take their meaning from the relationship between the speakers.
(c) It is easier to be intimate in Spanish than in English.
(d) Some words are more intimate than others.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rodriguez believe Spanish should be spoken?
2. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
3. How does Rodriguez's mother react to his educational accomplishments?
4. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
5. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)