|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rodriguez describes events that happened how many years ago?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 5 years.
(d) 30 years.
2. What does Rodriguez say would be the disadvantage of bilingual education?
(a) It would make him lazy about learning English.
(b) It would mean he was only in class with other people who spoke Spanish.
(c) It would limit the things he could study in school.
(d) It would make it easier to cheat on tests.
3. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
(a) Guilty, because he feels like he has damaged his family's close relationship.
(b) Frustrated, because he does not learn it very well.
(c) Proud, because it is a hard language to learn.
(d) Bored, because he does not really want to learn it.
4. How do Rodriguez's parents respond when he wants to go to Stanford?
(a) They worry about him going so far away.
(b) They are proud of him, but they worry about how expensive it will be for him to go away to school.
(c) They refuse to pay for his education.
(d) They brag to everyone about their son, the Stanford student.
5. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
(a) Learning English from listening to the radio.
(b) Getting extra help from the teacher.
(c) Studying with a classmate.
(d) Practicing English with his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez describe the sound of English?
2. How does Rodriguez's father react to his educational accomplishments?
3. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
4. How does Rodriguez's mother react to his educational accomplishments?
5. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)