|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
(a) It was the best thing that ever happened to him.
(b) It was the worst thing that ever happened to him.
(c) He is angry that they did not have programs for bilingual children when he went to school.
(d) He has conflicting feelings.
2. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
(a) Words take their meaning from the relationship between the speakers.
(b) It is easier to be intimate in Spanish than in English.
(c) Some words are more intimate than others.
(d) Intimate words should not be spoken in public.
3. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
(a) To meet his parents.
(b) To ask the family to practice speaking English.
(c) To talk about his bad behavior.
(d) To ask his parents to volunteer at the school.
4. How does Rodriguez's education affect his relationship with his parents?
(a) His parents stop talking to him.
(b) His parents brag about him all the time.
(c) It makes him feel closer to his parents.
(d) It causes a separation between them.
5. What was Rodriguez like as a student?
(a) A slow learner who worked very hard.
(b) The kind of student to whom everything came easily.
(c) A bookworm who admired his teachers.
(d) A troublemaker who was bored in class.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
2. What does Rodriguez's family seem to think about Spanish and English?
3. Did Rodriguez's parents get the same amount of education that he did?
4. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
5. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)