|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez's father change as the family starts to speak English more?
(a) He gets upset and insists that they speak to him in Spanish.
(b) He complains about using English.
(c) He grows quieter because he is uncomfortable with English.
(d) He takes classes to learn English.
2. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
(a) He can have them with his family in spite of the language barrier.
(b) He can no longer have an intimate conversation in Spanish.
(c) He will never be able to have them with his family because of the language barrier.
(d) Intimate conversations are hard to have in the "public" language.
3. As a child, how does Rodriguez feel about speaking English?
(a) He is proud that he learns to speak English well.
(b) He is afraid of it.
(c) He is eager to learn to speak English.
(d) He thinks it is a waste of time.
4. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) A television.
(b) A new car.
(c) A telephone.
(d) A house.
5. How does Rodriguez feel when he observes the group of black teenagers on the bus?
(a) He is scared because they look tough.
(b) He is irritated because they are noisy.
(c) He envies their close bond.
(d) He wishes he could be their friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez's family seem to think about Spanish and English?
2. Rodriguez describes events that happened how many years ago?
3. How does Rodriguez's father react to his educational accomplishments?
4. How does Rodriguez's grandmother affect his ideas on language?
5. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)