|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
(a) He could understand the homework assignments better.
(b) He would feel more comfortable in the classroom.
(c) He could ask the teacher questions more easily.
(d) He would get better grades.
2. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
(a) He teaches them how to speak English.
(b) He corrects their grammar.
(c) He tells them to be quiet and let him do the talking.
(d) He gets angry at them for speaking Spanish.
3. What does Rodriguez's family call him?
4. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
(a) Rodriguez is sad because it reminds him of the closeness his family lost.
(b) Rodriguez is frustrated because he thinks those families are making it harder for their children to learn English.
(c) Rodriguez is pleased to know that Spanish is still being spoken in people's homes.
(d) Rodriguez is embarrassed because he thinks everyone should speak English.
5. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
(a) They use it to compliment each other on how well they speak English.
(b) They stop saying it because they no longer use Spanish words.
(c) It starts to mean "a non-Hispanic American" as opposed to the "other" or "outsider" that it used to imply.
(d) The children do not like their parents to use that word any more.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say would be the disadvantage of bilingual education?
2. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
3. How does Rodriguez describe his life as a child?
4. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
5. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)