|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the "scholarship boy" described?
(a) A good student but a troubled son.
(b) A good son who wants to please his parents.
(c) A good student who is guaranteed to succeed.
(d) A good son but a troubled student.
2. How do Rodriguez's parents respond when he wants to go to Stanford?
(a) They brag to everyone about their son, the Stanford student.
(b) They refuse to pay for his education.
(c) They worry about him going so far away.
(d) They are proud of him, but they worry about how expensive it will be for him to go away to school.
3. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
(a) He does not complain about the change because he is so glad to be well-educated.
(b) He used it to explain to people what his life was like before he was educated.
(c) He used it as an excuse to not work very hard.
(d) He used it to motivate him to try harder.
4. What was Rodriguez like as a student?
(a) The kind of student to whom everything came easily.
(b) A bookworm who admired his teachers.
(c) A slow learner who worked very hard.
(d) A troublemaker who was bored in class.
5. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
(a) He could ask the teacher questions more easily.
(b) He could understand the homework assignments better.
(c) He would get better grades.
(d) He would feel more comfortable in the classroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez call the English-speaking people his family interacts with?
2. How does Rodriguez feel about his family background?
3. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
4. How does Rodriguez's father change as the family starts to speak English more?
5. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)