|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Did Rodriguez's parents get the same amount of education that he did?
(a) Yes, but they went to school in Mexico so they do not speak English very well.
(d) No, and they did not want him to go to school so much, either.
2. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
(a) Studying with a classmate.
(b) Getting extra help from the teacher.
(c) Learning English from listening to the radio.
(d) Practicing English with his family.
3. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
(a) They pronounce it differently than his Spanish-speaking family.
(b) They say his name just like everyone else's name.
(c) They mispronounce it.
(d) They say it as if they are impressed to know him.
4. How does Rodriguez describe himself as a child?
(a) Comfortable with English- and Spanish-speaking people.
(b) Spoiled and bratty.
(c) Socially disadvantaged.
(d) A wild troublemaker.
5. What does Rodriguez's family seem to think about Spanish and English?
(a) Spanish and English are equally good languages.
(b) Richard should speak only Spanish.
(c) Richard needs to remember his Spanish, even if that hurts his education.
(d) Richard should learn to speak only in English to be more successful.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rodriguez find the description of the "scholarship boy"?
2. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
3. What does Rodriguez start to notice about English?
4. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
5. How does Rodriguez's mother react to his educational accomplishments?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)