|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rodriguez, what is wrong with speaking a private language in public?
(a) It is embarrassing.
(b) Most people will not understand what is being said.
(c) It will eventually stop being a private language.
(d) It prevents people from learning the public language.
2. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
(a) He went to a good school and had supportive parents.
(b) He was just very lucky.
(c) He had good teachers.
(d) He worked very hard.
3. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
(a) He does not complain about the change because he is so glad to be well-educated.
(b) He used it as an excuse to not work very hard.
(c) He used it to explain to people what his life was like before he was educated.
(d) He used it to motivate him to try harder.
4. What was Rodriguez like as a student?
(a) The kind of student to whom everything came easily.
(b) A slow learner who worked very hard.
(c) A troublemaker who was bored in class.
(d) A bookworm who admired his teachers.
5. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
(a) He corrects their grammar.
(b) He teaches them how to speak English.
(c) He tells them to be quiet and let him do the talking.
(d) He gets angry at them for speaking Spanish.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
2. What does Rodriguez's family call him?
3. How does Rodriguez's education affect his relationship with his parents?
4. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
5. How does Rodriguez describe the sound of English?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)