|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Rodriguez find the description of the "scholarship boy"?
(a) In a magazine article about the modern education system.
(b) In a magazine article about literacy.
(c) In a book about psychology.
(d) In a book about literacy.
2. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
(a) She helps her children learn more English.
(b) She learns more English and works hard to talk to her children.
(c) She complains about using English.
(d) She gets upset and insists that they speak to her in Spanish.
3. How does Rodriguez describe himself now?
(a) An education expert.
(b) A middle-class American.
(c) A famous author.
(d) A Latino activist.
4. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
(a) Bilingual education should reinforce the separation of the two languages.
(b) Bilingual students feel separated from their education in an English-only classroom.
(c) Other languages reinforce the idea that the students are separate from the larger society.
(d) Students will learn better if they feel they are separate from English-speaking students.
5. Where does Rodriguez start school?
(a) In Miami, Florida.
(b) In New York City.
(c) In St. Paul, Minnesota.
(d) In Sacramento, California.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Rodriguez's parents speak Spanish and where do they speak English?
2. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
3. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
4. How does Rodriguez describe himself as a child?
5. What does Rodriguez wonder about his parents and his education?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)