|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
(a) They say it as if they are impressed to know him.
(b) They mispronounce it.
(c) They pronounce it differently than his Spanish-speaking family.
(d) They say his name just like everyone else's name.
2. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
(a) They talk less because it is hard for the parents to understand their children when they speak English.
(b) Their mother and father speak to them, but they no longer talk to their grandmother.
(c) Their mother talks to them a lot, but their father never speaks to them.
(d) They enjoy speaking Spanish together more.
3. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
(a) Practicing English with his family.
(b) Getting extra help from the teacher.
(c) Studying with a classmate.
(d) Learning English from listening to the radio.
4. How does Rodriguez describe his life as a child?
5. How does Rodriguez's mother react to his educational accomplishments?
(a) She tries to help him with his homework.
(b) She asks questions and is pleased when he wins awards.
(c) She is embarrassed because her smart son does not speak Spanish well.
(d) She does not care if he does well in school.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez call the English-speaking people his family interacts with?
2. How does Rodriguez describe the sound of English?
3. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
4. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
5. Where does Rodriguez believe Spanish should be spoken?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)