|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez describe his life as a child?
2. What does Rodriguez start to notice about English?
(a) How much English helps him do better in school.
(b) Words he understands now that he did not understand before.
(c) How much easier it is to say things in English than in Spanish.
(d) Sounds and tones he previously ignored.
3. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
(a) Can I have your autograph?
(b) Did you benefit from affirmative action?
(c) How did you manage your success?
(d) Are your brothers and sisters as smart as you are?
4. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
(a) The parents depend on the children to do the talking in public.
(b) The family loses some of its closeness.
(c) The children start disobeying their parents.
(d) The family grows closer together.
5. How does Rodriguez describe the sound of English?
(a) Flat and boring.
(b) Awkward and confusing.
(c) Loud and confident.
(d) Weak and quiet.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rodriguez find the description of the "scholarship boy"?
2. How does Rodriguez's father change as the family starts to speak English more?
3. Did Rodriguez's parents get the same amount of education that he did?
4. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
5. Rodriguez describes events that happened how many years ago?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)