|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
(a) That he can express himself better in English than in Spanish.
(b) That intimacy is about the relationship between the people, not about what language they speak.
(c) That language is how a person maintains their intimacy with other people.
(d) That Spanish is always a more intimate language that English.
2. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
(b) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
(c) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
(d) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
3. Where does Rodriguez believe Spanish should be spoken?
(a) In the classroom.
(c) In public.
(d) In private, with family or close friends.
4. How does Rodriguez describe himself as a child?
(a) Comfortable with English- and Spanish-speaking people.
(b) A wild troublemaker.
(c) Spoiled and bratty.
(d) Socially disadvantaged.
5. Did Rodriguez's parents get the same amount of education that he did?
(b) Yes, but they went to school in Mexico so they do not speak English very well.
(c) No, and they did not want him to go to school so much, either.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
2. What does Rodriguez wonder about his parents and his education?
3. How does Rodriguez feel about his family background?
4. As Rodriguez moves into college and graduate school, how does his relationship with his parents change?
5. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)