|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) A telephone.
(b) A house.
(c) A new car.
(d) A television.
2. How does Rodriguez's mother react to his educational accomplishments?
(a) She is embarrassed because her smart son does not speak Spanish well.
(b) She asks questions and is pleased when he wins awards.
(c) She does not care if he does well in school.
(d) She tries to help him with his homework.
3. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
(a) He will never be able to have them with his family because of the language barrier.
(b) He can have them with his family in spite of the language barrier.
(c) He can no longer have an intimate conversation in Spanish.
(d) Intimate conversations are hard to have in the "public" language.
4. How do Rodriguez's parents respond when he wants to go to Stanford?
(a) They are proud of him, but they worry about how expensive it will be for him to go away to school.
(b) They refuse to pay for his education.
(c) They worry about him going so far away.
(d) They brag to everyone about their son, the Stanford student.
5. How is the "scholarship boy" described?
(a) A good student who is guaranteed to succeed.
(b) A good son who wants to please his parents.
(c) A good student but a troubled son.
(d) A good son but a troubled student.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez's family seem to think about Spanish and English?
2. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
3. How does Rodriguez describe himself as a child?
4. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
5. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)