|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
(a) Some words are more intimate than others.
(b) Words take their meaning from the relationship between the speakers.
(c) It is easier to be intimate in Spanish than in English.
(d) Intimate words should not be spoken in public.
2. What does Rodriguez call the English-speaking people his family interacts with?
3. Does Rodriguez believe that not speaking English well has consequences for his parents?
(a) Yes, because they could not talk to the doctor if they were sick.
(b) Yes, he thinks they got cheated out of money because of it.
(c) No, he says they did all right in spite of the language problems.
(d) No, because they always stayed in places where the other people spoke Spanish, too.
4. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
(a) More friends.
(b) A chance to go to college.
(c) Better grades.
(d) A place in public society.
5. Where does Rodriguez believe English should be spoken?
(a) In private, with family or close friends.
(c) In the classroom.
(d) In public.
Short Answer Questions
1. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
2. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
3. Did Rodriguez's parents get the same amount of education that he did?
4. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
5. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)