|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Rodriguez like as a student?
(a) A troublemaker who was bored in class.
(b) A bookworm who admired his teachers.
(c) The kind of student to whom everything came easily.
(d) A slow learner who worked very hard.
2. What does Rodriguez say is the real reason for his success?
(a) Remembering what his life was like before he was educated.
(b) Kissing up to the teacher.
(c) Reading every book he could find.
(d) Working very hard.
3. How does Rodriguez's father react to his educational accomplishments?
(a) He does not care if Richard does well in school.
(b) He says college is a waste of time.
(c) He throws away Richard's diploma.
(d) He teases him, but is still proud of him.
4. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
(a) Are your brothers and sisters as smart as you are?
(b) How did you manage your success?
(c) Did you benefit from affirmative action?
(d) Can I have your autograph?
5. Where does Rodriguez find the description of the "scholarship boy"?
(a) In a book about literacy.
(b) In a magazine article about literacy.
(c) In a book about psychology.
(d) In a magazine article about the modern education system.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez describe the sound of English?
2. How do Rodriguez's parents respond when he wants to go to Stanford?
3. As Rodriguez moves into college and graduate school, how does his relationship with his parents change?
4. How is the "scholarship boy" described?
5. What does Rodriguez's family call him?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)