|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Aria, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
(a) Rodriguez is sad because it reminds him of the closeness his family lost.
(b) Rodriguez is pleased to know that Spanish is still being spoken in people's homes.
(c) Rodriguez is embarrassed because he thinks everyone should speak English.
(d) Rodriguez is frustrated because he thinks those families are making it harder for their children to learn English.
2. How does Rodriguez describe his life as a child?
3. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
(a) It was the best thing that ever happened to him.
(b) It was the worst thing that ever happened to him.
(c) He is angry that they did not have programs for bilingual children when he went to school.
(d) He has conflicting feelings.
4. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
(a) That he can express himself better in English than in Spanish.
(b) That intimacy is about the relationship between the people, not about what language they speak.
(c) That language is how a person maintains their intimacy with other people.
(d) That Spanish is always a more intimate language that English.
5. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
(a) More friends.
(b) A chance to go to college.
(c) A place in public society.
(d) Better grades.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a child, how does Rodriguez feel about speaking English?
2. Does Rodriguez believe that not speaking English well has consequences for his parents?
3. How does Rodriguez feel about his family background?
4. How does Rodriguez feel about learning English?
5. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)