|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Aria, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
(a) The parents depend on the children to do the talking in public.
(b) The family loses some of its closeness.
(c) The family grows closer together.
(d) The children start disobeying their parents.
2. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
(b) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
(c) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
(d) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
3. Where does Rodriguez believe English should be spoken?
(a) In private, with family or close friends.
(c) In the classroom.
(d) In public.
4. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
(a) He disagrees with it.
(b) He thinks it would have helped him a lot.
(c) He thinks it is too hard on the teacher.
(d) He thinks it makes students work harder.
5. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
(a) They use it to compliment each other on how well they speak English.
(b) They stop saying it because they no longer use Spanish words.
(c) It starts to mean "a non-Hispanic American" as opposed to the "other" or "outsider" that it used to imply.
(d) The children do not like their parents to use that word any more.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rodriguez believe Spanish should be spoken?
2. What does Rodriguez wonder about his parents and his education?
3. How does Rodriguez's education affect his relationship with his parents?
4. What does Rodriguez call the English-speaking people his family interacts with?
5. Where do Rodriguez's parents speak Spanish and where do they speak English?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)