|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Aria, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say would be the disadvantage of bilingual education?
(a) It would mean he was only in class with other people who spoke Spanish.
(b) It would make him lazy about learning English.
(c) It would make it easier to cheat on tests.
(d) It would limit the things he could study in school.
2. What does Rodriguez's family call him?
3. How does Rodriguez describe himself as a child?
(a) Comfortable with English- and Spanish-speaking people.
(b) Spoiled and bratty.
(c) Socially disadvantaged.
(d) A wild troublemaker.
4. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
(a) They pronounce it differently than his Spanish-speaking family.
(b) They mispronounce it.
(c) They say it as if they are impressed to know him.
(d) They say his name just like everyone else's name.
5. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
(a) They stop saying it because they no longer use Spanish words.
(b) They use it to compliment each other on how well they speak English.
(c) The children do not like their parents to use that word any more.
(d) It starts to mean "a non-Hispanic American" as opposed to the "other" or "outsider" that it used to imply.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Rodriguez believe that not speaking English well has consequences for his parents?
2. How does Rodriguez feel about his family background?
3. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
4. Who does Rodriguez say surrounds him now?
5. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)