|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Aria, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
(a) His English is very limited.
(b) He speaks English pretty well.
(c) He does not speak English at all.
(d) He is fluent in English and Spanish.
2. What does Rodriguez say would be the disadvantage of bilingual education?
(a) It would make it easier to cheat on tests.
(b) It would make him lazy about learning English.
(c) It would limit the things he could study in school.
(d) It would mean he was only in class with other people who spoke Spanish.
3. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
(a) A chance to go to college.
(b) Better grades.
(c) More friends.
(d) A place in public society.
4. What does Rodriguez say about how the people around him now say his name?
(a) They mispronounce it.
(b) They say it as if they are impressed to know him.
(c) They say his name just like everyone else's name.
(d) They pronounce it differently than his Spanish-speaking family.
5. What does Rodriguez start to notice about English?
(a) How much English helps him do better in school.
(b) Sounds and tones he previously ignored.
(c) How much easier it is to say things in English than in Spanish.
(d) Words he understands now that he did not understand before.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
2. How does Rodriguez's father change as the family starts to speak English more?
3. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
4. What does Rodriguez's family call him?
5. What does Rodriguez call the English-speaking people his family interacts with?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)