|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Aria, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez describe himself now?
(a) An education expert.
(b) A Latino activist.
(c) A famous author.
(d) A middle-class American.
2. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
(a) That intimacy is about the relationship between the people, not about what language they speak.
(b) That language is how a person maintains their intimacy with other people.
(c) That Spanish is always a more intimate language that English.
(d) That he can express himself better in English than in Spanish.
3. Did Rodriguez's brother and sister tell him what to expect at school?
(a) No, he was the first one in his family to go to school.
(b) No, they never talked about it.
(c) They told him to be good and listen to the teacher.
(d) They told him he would have fun.
4. Where does Rodriguez believe Spanish should be spoken?
(a) In public.
(c) In the classroom.
(d) In private, with family or close friends.
5. In Aria, Chapter 3, why does Rodriguez's family tease him?
(a) Because he reads too many books.
(b) Because he cannot speak Spanish very well.
(c) Because they think he is ugly.
(d) Because he is bad at sports.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
2. What does Rodriguez wonder about his parents and his education?
3. How does Rodriguez describe his life as a child?
4. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
5. As a child, how does Rodriguez feel about speaking English?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)