|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Aria, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
(a) It was the worst thing that ever happened to him.
(b) He has conflicting feelings.
(c) He is angry that they did not have programs for bilingual children when he went to school.
(d) It was the best thing that ever happened to him.
2. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
(a) The children do not like their parents to use that word any more.
(b) They use it to compliment each other on how well they speak English.
(c) It starts to mean "a non-Hispanic American" as opposed to the "other" or "outsider" that it used to imply.
(d) They stop saying it because they no longer use Spanish words.
3. What does Rodriguez realize about language and intimacy?
(a) That he can express himself better in English than in Spanish.
(b) That intimacy is about the relationship between the people, not about what language they speak.
(c) That Spanish is always a more intimate language that English.
(d) That language is how a person maintains their intimacy with other people.
4. How does Rodriguez describe his life as a child?
5. Rodriguez describes events that happened how many years ago?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 30 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez's education affect his relationship with his parents?
2. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
3. Where does Rodriguez believe English should be spoken?
4. How does Rodriguez describe the sound of English?
5. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)