|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Aria, Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
(a) To meet his parents.
(b) To ask his parents to volunteer at the school.
(c) To talk about his bad behavior.
(d) To ask the family to practice speaking English.
2. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
(a) Their mother and father speak to them, but they no longer talk to their grandmother.
(b) Their mother talks to them a lot, but their father never speaks to them.
(c) They enjoy speaking Spanish together more.
(d) They talk less because it is hard for the parents to understand their children when they speak English.
3. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
(a) Better grades.
(b) More friends.
(c) A chance to go to college.
(d) A place in public society.
4. How does Rodriguez feel about his education?
(a) It was the best thing that ever happened to him.
(b) He is angry that they did not have programs for bilingual children when he went to school.
(c) He has conflicting feelings.
(d) It was the worst thing that ever happened to him.
5. What does Rodriguez's family seem to think about Spanish and English?
(a) Richard should learn to speak only in English to be more successful.
(b) Richard needs to remember his Spanish, even if that hurts his education.
(c) Richard should speak only Spanish.
(d) Spanish and English are equally good languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez describe himself now?
2. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
3. As a child, how does Rodriguez feel about speaking English?
4. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
5. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)