|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Profession, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
(a) Some words are more intimate than others.
(b) It is easier to be intimate in Spanish than in English.
(c) Intimate words should not be spoken in public.
(d) Words take their meaning from the relationship between the speakers.
2. How does Rodriguez think about the old religious traditions of his childhood?
(a) He is glad the traditions have changed.
(b) He misses the ritual.
(c) He thinks those traditions are only suitable for people like his parents.
(d) He thinks they are old-fashioned and silly.
3. When he is a child, what do people say about Rodriguez's complexion?
(a) They tell him to see a doctor to get help.
(b) They tease him.
(c) They tell him he is handsome.
(d) They joke with him about how light his skin is.
4. According to Rodriguez, what did some sympathetic professors do for black students who were struggling?
(a) They helped the students with their homework.
(b) They tutored them outside of class.
(c) They gave the students passing grades they had not earned.
(d) They helped the students cheat on tests.
5. What do the Hispanic college students ask Rodriguez to do?
(a) To give a speech to their student group.
(b) To lead a protest.
(c) To write them recommendations for graduate school.
(d) To teach a course in minority literature.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Complexion, Chapter 3, what new hobby does Rodriguez take up?
2. As a child, how does Rodriguez feel about speaking English?
3. How do Rodriguez's friends affect his religious practices?
4. How does Rodriguez describe the changes in the mass that happen as he grows up?
5. What religious figure was very important in his parents' old church, but becomes less important in the new church?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)