|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Profession, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez's grandmother affect his ideas on language?
(a) Translating her stories helps him realize that intimacy is not connected to one language.
(b) Translating her stories shows him how things get lost in translation.
(c) Her stubborn refusal to speak English shows him how people cling to old ideas.
(d) She tells him Spanish is the best language.
2. What changes Rodriguez's ideas about his complexion?
(a) He talks about it with other minority students.
(b) He works construction and gets comfortable about revealing his skin.
(c) He talks about it with one of his professors.
(d) He writes a news story about the "Black is Beautiful" movement.
3. How does Rodriguez feel about his religious education?
(a) It changed his life.
(b) It helped him become successful.
(c) It isolated him.
(d) It kept him closer to his parents.
4. What do the Hispanic college students ask Rodriguez to do?
(a) To teach a course in minority literature.
(b) To write them recommendations for graduate school.
(c) To give a speech to their student group.
(d) To lead a protest.
5. What does Rodriguez finally decide about affirmative action?
(a) He will not benefit from it.
(b) It is a bad idea.
(c) He thinks other people should use it.
(d) He thinks everyone should use it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say is the real reason for his success?
2. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
3. According to Rodriguez's family, what is wrong with Richard?
4. What does Rodriguez's professor ask him about applying for teaching jobs?
5. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)