|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Profession, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
(b) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
(c) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
(d) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
2. While he studies at Stanford, what does Rodriguez do to make money?
(a) Writes for a local newspaper.
(b) Tutors other students.
(c) Works in the school cafeteria.
(d) Works a construction job.
3. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
(a) He thinks it is too hard on the teacher.
(b) He disagrees with it.
(c) He thinks it makes students work harder.
(d) He thinks it would have helped him a lot.
4. How does Rodriguez change his religious practices?
(a) He stops going to mass at all.
(b) He goes to mass every day.
(c) He starts praying more regularly.
(d) He stops going to confession and listens to his conscience instead of the priest.
5. Once Rodriguez takes the reading class, how does he feel about reading and books?
(a) He loves it and wants to read all the books he can find.
(b) He thinks reading is hard, but books are interesting.
(c) He thinks it is boring.
(d) He feels that reading is important, and his parents should read more.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
2. According to Rodriguez, what did some sympathetic professors do for black students who were struggling?
3. How does Rodriguez think about the old religious traditions of his childhood?
4. According to Rodriguez, what is wrong with speaking a private language in public?
5. According to Rodriguez's family, how are men supposed to be?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)