|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Profession, Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
(a) Some words are more intimate than others.
(b) Words take their meaning from the relationship between the speakers.
(c) It is easier to be intimate in Spanish than in English.
(d) Intimate words should not be spoken in public.
2. What is the Third World Student Movement?
(a) Students who come from third world countries to attend school in the United States.
(b) Students who attend college but embrace their cultural heritage instead of sacrificing it.
(c) Students who volunteer in third world countries.
(d) Students who are studying third world countries in college.
3. How does Rodriguez's father change as the family starts to speak English more?
(a) He takes classes to learn English.
(b) He complains about using English.
(c) He gets upset and insists that they speak to him in Spanish.
(d) He grows quieter because he is uncomfortable with English.
4. Who teaches Rodriguez that stereotypes are not accurate?
(a) The other students.
(b) The well-educated construction workers.
(c) His professors at Stanford.
(d) His boss at his job.
5. Is Rodriguez's classmate as good a student as Rodriguez is?
(b) Yes, but he has a bad work history.
(c) Yes, but the schools do not want to hire him because he has controversial political views.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Rodriguez begin to question his religion?
2. What did Rodriguez learn about other religions beside his own?
3. What has happened to Rodriguez's classmate who applied for the same type of teaching jobs?
4. What happens at the swimming pool to make Rodriguez aware of his skin color?
5. Where do Rodriguez's parents speak Spanish and where do they speak English?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)