|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say would be the disadvantage of bilingual education?
(a) It would make him lazy about learning English.
(b) It would mean he was only in class with other people who spoke Spanish.
(c) It would make it easier to cheat on tests.
(d) It would limit the things he could study in school.
2. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
(a) He worked very hard.
(b) He was just very lucky.
(c) He had good teachers.
(d) He went to a good school and had supportive parents.
3. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
(a) Rodriguez is embarrassed because he thinks everyone should speak English.
(b) Rodriguez is frustrated because he thinks those families are making it harder for their children to learn English.
(c) Rodriguez is pleased to know that Spanish is still being spoken in people's homes.
(d) Rodriguez is sad because it reminds him of the closeness his family lost.
4. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
(a) How did you manage your success?
(b) Are your brothers and sisters as smart as you are?
(c) Did you benefit from affirmative action?
(d) Can I have your autograph?
5. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
(a) Some words are more intimate than others.
(b) Words take their meaning from the relationship between the speakers.
(c) It is easier to be intimate in Spanish than in English.
(d) Intimate words should not be spoken in public.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez's grandmother affect his ideas on language?
2. Once Rodriguez takes the reading class, how does he feel about reading and books?
3. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
4. How does Rodriguez's father change as the family starts to speak English more?
5. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)