|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does his mother think about his reading?
(a) She wishes he would read less and go play sports.
(b) She is proud of him for reading so much.
(c) She does not understand it.
(d) She hopes that he can teach her to read better.
2. Where do Rodriguez's parents speak Spanish and where do they speak English?
(a) Spanish at home, English in public.
(b) Spanish everywhere.
(c) English everywhere.
(d) English at home, Spanish in public.
3. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
(a) How did you manage your success?
(b) Can I have your autograph?
(c) Did you benefit from affirmative action?
(d) Are your brothers and sisters as smart as you are?
4. What does Rodriguez's teacher tell him about reading and complicated ideas?
(a) He needs to read 5,000 books to have a complicated idea.
(b) He needs to read 2,000 books to have a complicated idea.
(c) Reading will teach him complicated ideas.
(d) People who do not read cannot have complicated ideas.
5. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
(a) He worked very hard.
(b) He went to a good school and had supportive parents.
(c) He was just very lucky.
(d) He had good teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
2. What was Rodriguez like as a student?
3. How does Rodriguez feel when he observes the group of black teenagers on the bus?
4. How does Rodriguez's grandmother affect his ideas on language?
5. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)