|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Did Rodriguez's brother and sister tell him what to expect at school?
(a) No, he was the first one in his family to go to school.
(b) No, they never talked about it.
(c) They told him he would have fun.
(d) They told him to be good and listen to the teacher.
2. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
(a) How did you manage your success?
(b) Can I have your autograph?
(c) Are your brothers and sisters as smart as you are?
(d) Did you benefit from affirmative action?
3. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
(a) He was just very lucky.
(b) He worked very hard.
(c) He had good teachers.
(d) He went to a good school and had supportive parents.
4. Where does Rodriguez believe Spanish should be spoken?
(b) In public.
(c) In private, with family or close friends.
(d) In the classroom.
5. As a child, how does Rodriguez feel about speaking English?
(a) He is eager to learn to speak English.
(b) He is proud that he learns to speak English well.
(c) He is afraid of it.
(d) He thinks it is a waste of time.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
2. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
3. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
4. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
5. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)