|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
(a) Better grades.
(b) A place in public society.
(c) More friends.
(d) A chance to go to college.
2. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
(a) He used it as an excuse to not work very hard.
(b) He used it to explain to people what his life was like before he was educated.
(c) He used it to motivate him to try harder.
(d) He does not complain about the change because he is so glad to be well-educated.
3. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) A telephone.
(b) A television.
(c) A house.
(d) A new car.
4. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
(a) He can have them with his family in spite of the language barrier.
(b) He can no longer have an intimate conversation in Spanish.
(c) Intimate conversations are hard to have in the "public" language.
(d) He will never be able to have them with his family because of the language barrier.
5. How does a newspaper affect Rodriguez's reading habits?
(a) He decides to read all the book on the bestseller list.
(b) An article explains why reading books can help you do well on tests, so he reads even more books.
(c) An article describes 100 important books and he decides to read all of them.
(d) He decides to read the newspaper instead of books.
Short Answer Questions
1. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
2. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
3. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
4. How does Rodriguez's grandmother affect his ideas on language?
5. Where does Rodriguez believe Spanish should be spoken?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)