|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
(a) He can no longer have an intimate conversation in Spanish.
(b) He will never be able to have them with his family because of the language barrier.
(c) He can have them with his family in spite of the language barrier.
(d) Intimate conversations are hard to have in the "public" language.
2. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
(b) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
(c) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
(d) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
3. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
(a) She gets upset and insists that they speak to her in Spanish.
(b) She helps her children learn more English.
(c) She learns more English and works hard to talk to her children.
(d) She complains about using English.
4. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
(a) He could ask the teacher questions more easily.
(b) He would feel more comfortable in the classroom.
(c) He would get better grades.
(d) He could understand the homework assignments better.
5. Where does Rodriguez start school?
(a) In St. Paul, Minnesota.
(b) In Miami, Florida.
(c) In New York City.
(d) In Sacramento, California.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Rodriguez takes the reading class, how does he feel about reading and books?
2. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
3. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
4. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
5. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)