|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does his mother think about his reading?
(a) She does not understand it.
(b) She hopes that he can teach her to read better.
(c) She is proud of him for reading so much.
(d) She wishes he would read less and go play sports.
2. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
(a) He thinks they are boring.
(b) He is afraid of them.
(c) He is not really interested in them.
(d) He is excited to learn to read.
3. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
(a) Learning English from listening to the radio.
(b) Studying with a classmate.
(c) Practicing English with his family.
(d) Getting extra help from the teacher.
4. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
(a) She helps her children learn more English.
(b) She learns more English and works hard to talk to her children.
(c) She complains about using English.
(d) She gets upset and insists that they speak to her in Spanish.
5. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
(a) Students will learn better if they feel they are separate from English-speaking students.
(b) Bilingual students feel separated from their education in an English-only classroom.
(c) Other languages reinforce the idea that the students are separate from the larger society.
(d) Bilingual education should reinforce the separation of the two languages.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
2. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
3. Where do Rodriguez's parents speak Spanish and where do they speak English?
4. What does Rodriguez say would be the disadvantage of bilingual education?
5. How does a newspaper affect Rodriguez's reading habits?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)