|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say is the real reason for his success?
(a) Remembering what his life was like before he was educated.
(b) Kissing up to the teacher.
(c) Working very hard.
(d) Reading every book he could find.
2. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
(b) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
(c) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
(d) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
3. According to Rodriguez, what is wrong with speaking a private language in public?
(a) It will eventually stop being a private language.
(b) It prevents people from learning the public language.
(c) Most people will not understand what is being said.
(d) It is embarrassing.
4. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
(a) He used it as an excuse to not work very hard.
(b) He used it to motivate him to try harder.
(c) He does not complain about the change because he is so glad to be well-educated.
(d) He used it to explain to people what his life was like before he was educated.
5. How does Rodriguez feel when he observes the group of black teenagers on the bus?
(a) He is irritated because they are noisy.
(b) He wishes he could be their friend.
(c) He envies their close bond.
(d) He is scared because they look tough.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once Rodriguez takes the reading class, how does he feel about reading and books?
2. What does Rodriguez call the English-speaking people his family interacts with?
3. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
4. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
5. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)