|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Rodriguez believe that not speaking English well has consequences for his parents?
(a) No, he says they did all right in spite of the language problems.
(b) No, because they always stayed in places where the other people spoke Spanish, too.
(c) Yes, because they could not talk to the doctor if they were sick.
(d) Yes, he thinks they got cheated out of money because of it.
2. What does Rodriguez say would be the disadvantage of bilingual education?
(a) It would limit the things he could study in school.
(b) It would make it easier to cheat on tests.
(c) It would mean he was only in class with other people who spoke Spanish.
(d) It would make him lazy about learning English.
3. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
(a) To meet his parents.
(b) To ask the family to practice speaking English.
(c) To talk about his bad behavior.
(d) To ask his parents to volunteer at the school.
4. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
(a) He is excited to learn to read.
(b) He is afraid of them.
(c) He thinks they are boring.
(d) He is not really interested in them.
5. Where does Rodriguez start school?
(a) In Miami, Florida.
(b) In New York City.
(c) In Sacramento, California.
(d) In St. Paul, Minnesota.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
2. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
3. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
4. Where do Rodriguez's parents speak Spanish and where do they speak English?
5. What does Rodriguez call the English-speaking people his family interacts with?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)