|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
(a) Rodriguez is pleased to know that Spanish is still being spoken in people's homes.
(b) Rodriguez is sad because it reminds him of the closeness his family lost.
(c) Rodriguez is frustrated because he thinks those families are making it harder for their children to learn English.
(d) Rodriguez is embarrassed because he thinks everyone should speak English.
2. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
(a) He can no longer have an intimate conversation in Spanish.
(b) He can have them with his family in spite of the language barrier.
(c) He will never be able to have them with his family because of the language barrier.
(d) Intimate conversations are hard to have in the "public" language.
3. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
(a) To ask the family to practice speaking English.
(b) To meet his parents.
(c) To ask his parents to volunteer at the school.
(d) To talk about his bad behavior.
4. What does Rodriguez's teacher tell him about reading and complicated ideas?
(a) People who do not read cannot have complicated ideas.
(b) He needs to read 5,000 books to have a complicated idea.
(c) Reading will teach him complicated ideas.
(d) He needs to read 2,000 books to have a complicated idea.
5. What does Rodriguez say is the real reason for his success?
(a) Kissing up to the teacher.
(b) Reading every book he could find.
(c) Working very hard.
(d) Remembering what his life was like before he was educated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say would be the disadvantage of bilingual education?
2. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
3. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
4. How does a newspaper affect Rodriguez's reading habits?
5. As a child, how does Rodriguez feel about speaking English?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)