|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez see as the value of a book?
(a) Its plot or storyline.
(b) Its characters.
(c) Its theme.
(d) Its vocabulary and use of language.
2. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
(b) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
(c) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
(d) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
3. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
(a) To ask the family to practice speaking English.
(b) To ask his parents to volunteer at the school.
(c) To meet his parents.
(d) To talk about his bad behavior.
4. What does Rodriguez's teacher tell him about reading and complicated ideas?
(a) Reading will teach him complicated ideas.
(b) He needs to read 2,000 books to have a complicated idea.
(c) He needs to read 5,000 books to have a complicated idea.
(d) People who do not read cannot have complicated ideas.
5. How does Rodriguez's grandmother affect his ideas on language?
(a) She tells him Spanish is the best language.
(b) Translating her stories shows him how things get lost in translation.
(c) Her stubborn refusal to speak English shows him how people cling to old ideas.
(d) Translating her stories helps him realize that intimacy is not connected to one language.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say would be the disadvantage of bilingual education?
2. How does a newspaper affect Rodriguez's reading habits?
3. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
4. What was Rodriguez like as a student?
5. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)