|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez's grandmother affect his ideas on language?
(a) Her stubborn refusal to speak English shows him how people cling to old ideas.
(b) She tells him Spanish is the best language.
(c) Translating her stories helps him realize that intimacy is not connected to one language.
(d) Translating her stories shows him how things get lost in translation.
2. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
(a) His English is very limited.
(b) He speaks English pretty well.
(c) He does not speak English at all.
(d) He is fluent in English and Spanish.
3. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) A new car.
(b) A television.
(c) A telephone.
(d) A house.
4. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
(a) Intimate words should not be spoken in public.
(b) It is easier to be intimate in Spanish than in English.
(c) Words take their meaning from the relationship between the speakers.
(d) Some words are more intimate than others.
5. What does Rodriguez's teacher tell him about reading and complicated ideas?
(a) He needs to read 5,000 books to have a complicated idea.
(b) Reading will teach him complicated ideas.
(c) People who do not read cannot have complicated ideas.
(d) He needs to read 2,000 books to have a complicated idea.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
2. Once Rodriguez takes the reading class, how does he feel about reading and books?
3. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
4. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
5. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)