|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say would be the disadvantage of bilingual education?
(a) It would limit the things he could study in school.
(b) It would make him lazy about learning English.
(c) It would make it easier to cheat on tests.
(d) It would mean he was only in class with other people who spoke Spanish.
2. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
(a) Rodriguez is sad because it reminds him of the closeness his family lost.
(b) Rodriguez is pleased to know that Spanish is still being spoken in people's homes.
(c) Rodriguez is embarrassed because he thinks everyone should speak English.
(d) Rodriguez is frustrated because he thinks those families are making it harder for their children to learn English.
3. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
(a) It starts to mean "a non-Hispanic American" as opposed to the "other" or "outsider" that it used to imply.
(b) The children do not like their parents to use that word any more.
(c) They use it to compliment each other on how well they speak English.
(d) They stop saying it because they no longer use Spanish words.
4. How does a newspaper affect Rodriguez's reading habits?
(a) An article explains why reading books can help you do well on tests, so he reads even more books.
(b) He decides to read the newspaper instead of books.
(c) He decides to read all the book on the bestseller list.
(d) An article describes 100 important books and he decides to read all of them.
5. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
(a) Intimate words should not be spoken in public.
(b) It is easier to be intimate in Spanish than in English.
(c) Some words are more intimate than others.
(d) Words take their meaning from the relationship between the speakers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
2. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
3. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
4. Does Rodriguez believe that not speaking English well has consequences for his parents?
5. How does Rodriguez feel when he observes the group of black teenagers on the bus?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)