|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
(a) He was just very lucky.
(b) He had good teachers.
(c) He worked very hard.
(d) He went to a good school and had supportive parents.
2. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
(a) They talk less because it is hard for the parents to understand their children when they speak English.
(b) They enjoy speaking Spanish together more.
(c) Their mother talks to them a lot, but their father never speaks to them.
(d) Their mother and father speak to them, but they no longer talk to their grandmother.
3. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
(a) He is not really interested in them.
(b) He thinks they are boring.
(c) He is excited to learn to read.
(d) He is afraid of them.
4. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
(a) More friends.
(b) A place in public society.
(c) Better grades.
(d) A chance to go to college.
5. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
(a) He is troubled by their poor English skills.
(b) He thinks they do all right speaking a mix of Spanish and English.
(c) He wishes his mom would do all the talking.
(d) He is afraid they will get in trouble because they do not speak English properly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rodriguez believe Spanish should be spoken?
2. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
3. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
4. What does Rodriguez's teacher tell him about reading and complicated ideas?
5. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)