|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does his mother think about his reading?
(a) She wishes he would read less and go play sports.
(b) She does not understand it.
(c) She is proud of him for reading so much.
(d) She hopes that he can teach her to read better.
2. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
(a) They stop saying it because they no longer use Spanish words.
(b) The children do not like their parents to use that word any more.
(c) It starts to mean "a non-Hispanic American" as opposed to the "other" or "outsider" that it used to imply.
(d) They use it to compliment each other on how well they speak English.
3. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
(a) To ask the family to practice speaking English.
(b) To ask his parents to volunteer at the school.
(c) To talk about his bad behavior.
(d) To meet his parents.
4. How does Rodriguez feel when he observes the group of black teenagers on the bus?
(a) He is scared because they look tough.
(b) He wishes he could be their friend.
(c) He envies their close bond.
(d) He is irritated because they are noisy.
5. Where does Rodriguez believe English should be spoken?
(a) In public.
(c) In private, with family or close friends.
(d) In the classroom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
2. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
3. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
4. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
5. How does Rodriguez's father change as the family starts to speak English more?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)