|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez see as the value of a book?
(a) Its vocabulary and use of language.
(b) Its characters.
(c) Its theme.
(d) Its plot or storyline.
2. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
(a) Their mother talks to them a lot, but their father never speaks to them.
(b) They talk less because it is hard for the parents to understand their children when they speak English.
(c) They enjoy speaking Spanish together more.
(d) Their mother and father speak to them, but they no longer talk to their grandmother.
3. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
(a) The family loses some of its closeness.
(b) The children start disobeying their parents.
(c) The family grows closer together.
(d) The parents depend on the children to do the talking in public.
4. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
(a) He does not speak English at all.
(b) He is fluent in English and Spanish.
(c) His English is very limited.
(d) He speaks English pretty well.
5. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
(a) He used it to motivate him to try harder.
(b) He does not complain about the change because he is so glad to be well-educated.
(c) He used it as an excuse to not work very hard.
(d) He used it to explain to people what his life was like before he was educated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does his mother think about his reading?
2. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
3. What does Rodriguez's teacher tell him about reading and complicated ideas?
4. How does a newspaper affect Rodriguez's reading habits?
5. How does Rodriguez feel when he observes the group of black teenagers on the bus?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)