|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
(a) He speaks English pretty well.
(b) He is fluent in English and Spanish.
(c) His English is very limited.
(d) He does not speak English at all.
2. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
(a) He had good teachers.
(b) He went to a good school and had supportive parents.
(c) He worked very hard.
(d) He was just very lucky.
3. Does Rodriguez believe that not speaking English well has consequences for his parents?
(a) Yes, because they could not talk to the doctor if they were sick.
(b) No, because they always stayed in places where the other people spoke Spanish, too.
(c) No, he says they did all right in spite of the language problems.
(d) Yes, he thinks they got cheated out of money because of it.
4. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
(a) He is not really interested in them.
(b) He thinks they are boring.
(c) He is afraid of them.
(d) He is excited to learn to read.
5. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) A new car.
(b) A house.
(c) A television.
(d) A telephone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rodriguez's grandmother affect his ideas on language?
2. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
3. How does Rodriguez's father change as the family starts to speak English more?
4. How does a newspaper affect Rodriguez's reading habits?
5. What does his mother think about his reading?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)