|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
(a) Practicing English with his family.
(b) Learning English from listening to the radio.
(c) Studying with a classmate.
(d) Getting extra help from the teacher.
2. Did Rodriguez's brother and sister tell him what to expect at school?
(a) No, he was the first one in his family to go to school.
(b) They told him he would have fun.
(c) No, they never talked about it.
(d) They told him to be good and listen to the teacher.
3. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
(a) He speaks English pretty well.
(b) He does not speak English at all.
(c) He is fluent in English and Spanish.
(d) His English is very limited.
4. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
(a) Rodriguez is embarrassed because he thinks everyone should speak English.
(b) Rodriguez is frustrated because he thinks those families are making it harder for their children to learn English.
(c) Rodriguez is pleased to know that Spanish is still being spoken in people's homes.
(d) Rodriguez is sad because it reminds him of the closeness his family lost.
5. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
(a) To talk about his bad behavior.
(b) To ask his parents to volunteer at the school.
(c) To ask the family to practice speaking English.
(d) To meet his parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Rodriguez believe Spanish should be spoken?
2. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
3. What does his mother think about his reading?
4. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
5. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)