|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a child, how does Rodriguez feel about speaking English?
(a) He is eager to learn to speak English.
(b) He is afraid of it.
(c) He is proud that he learns to speak English well.
(d) He thinks it is a waste of time.
2. What does Rodriguez see as the value of a book?
(a) Its characters.
(b) Its plot or storyline.
(c) Its theme.
(d) Its vocabulary and use of language.
3. According to Rodriguez, what is wrong with speaking a private language in public?
(a) Most people will not understand what is being said.
(b) It prevents people from learning the public language.
(c) It will eventually stop being a private language.
(d) It is embarrassing.
4. What does Rodriguez call the English-speaking people his family interacts with?
5. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
(a) Their mother talks to them a lot, but their father never speaks to them.
(b) They talk less because it is hard for the parents to understand their children when they speak English.
(c) They enjoy speaking Spanish together more.
(d) Their mother and father speak to them, but they no longer talk to their grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
2. Where do Rodriguez's parents speak Spanish and where do they speak English?
3. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
4. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
5. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)