|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does his mother think about his reading?
(a) She hopes that he can teach her to read better.
(b) She wishes he would read less and go play sports.
(c) She is proud of him for reading so much.
(d) She does not understand it.
2. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
(a) She gets upset and insists that they speak to her in Spanish.
(b) She learns more English and works hard to talk to her children.
(c) She helps her children learn more English.
(d) She complains about using English.
3. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
(a) He would feel more comfortable in the classroom.
(b) He could ask the teacher questions more easily.
(c) He would get better grades.
(d) He could understand the homework assignments better.
4. How does Rodriguez describe the sound of English?
(a) Loud and confident.
(b) Flat and boring.
(c) Weak and quiet.
(d) Awkward and confusing.
5. What is Rodriguez's initial response to bilingual education?
(a) He disagrees with it.
(b) He thinks it would have helped him a lot.
(c) He thinks it is too hard on the teacher.
(d) He thinks it makes students work harder.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a young child, how does Rodriguez feel about books?
2. Where do Rodriguez's parents speak Spanish and where do they speak English?
3. How well can Rodriguez speak English when he starts school?
4. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
5. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)