|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
(a) He corrects their grammar.
(b) He tells them to be quiet and let him do the talking.
(c) He gets angry at them for speaking Spanish.
(d) He teaches them how to speak English.
2. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
(a) Intimate conversations are hard to have in the "public" language.
(b) He can have them with his family in spite of the language barrier.
(c) He will never be able to have them with his family because of the language barrier.
(d) He can no longer have an intimate conversation in Spanish.
3. What does Rodriguez see as the value of a book?
(a) Its theme.
(b) Its plot or storyline.
(c) Its vocabulary and use of language.
(d) Its characters.
4. What does Rodriguez say is the real reason for his success?
(a) Reading every book he could find.
(b) Working very hard.
(c) Kissing up to the teacher.
(d) Remembering what his life was like before he was educated.
5. What was Rodriguez like as a student?
(a) A troublemaker who was bored in class.
(b) The kind of student to whom everything came easily.
(c) A slow learner who worked very hard.
(d) A bookworm who admired his teachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Rodriguez's parents speak Spanish and where do they speak English?
2. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
3. Where does Rodriguez believe Spanish should be spoken?
4. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
5. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)