|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Achievement of Desire, Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez mean by "intimate utterance"?
(a) Words take their meaning from the relationship between the speakers.
(b) It is easier to be intimate in Spanish than in English.
(c) Some words are more intimate than others.
(d) Intimate words should not be spoken in public.
2. What does Rodriguez say about bilingual education and the language of "separateness"?
(a) Bilingual students feel separated from their education in an English-only classroom.
(b) Bilingual education should reinforce the separation of the two languages.
(c) Other languages reinforce the idea that the students are separate from the larger society.
(d) Students will learn better if they feel they are separate from English-speaking students.
3. What does Rodriguez see as the value of a book?
(a) Its plot or storyline.
(b) Its theme.
(c) Its characters.
(d) Its vocabulary and use of language.
4. How does Rodriguez's father change as the family starts to speak English more?
(a) He takes classes to learn English.
(b) He complains about using English.
(c) He gets upset and insists that they speak to him in Spanish.
(d) He grows quieter because he is uncomfortable with English.
5. How does a newspaper affect Rodriguez's reading habits?
(a) He decides to read all the book on the bestseller list.
(b) He decides to read the newspaper instead of books.
(c) An article describes 100 important books and he decides to read all of them.
(d) An article explains why reading books can help you do well on tests, so he reads even more books.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez start to believe about intimate conversations?
2. What does his mother think about his reading?
3. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
4. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
5. How does Rodriguez feel about his parents' English skills?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)