|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Complexion, Prologue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
(a) They use it to compliment each other on how well they speak English.
(b) They stop saying it because they no longer use Spanish words.
(c) It starts to mean "a non-Hispanic American" as opposed to the "other" or "outsider" that it used to imply.
(d) The children do not like their parents to use that word any more.
2. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
(a) They enjoy speaking Spanish together more.
(b) They talk less because it is hard for the parents to understand their children when they speak English.
(c) Their mother and father speak to them, but they no longer talk to their grandmother.
(d) Their mother talks to them a lot, but their father never speaks to them.
3. How does the scholarship boy use education?
(a) To change himself.
(b) To make money.
(c) To get a good job.
(d) To make friends.
4. What does Rodriguez think about how the meaning of a person's complexion has changed?
(a) His dark skin used to be unpopular, but now is popular.
(b) People used to ignore his complexion, but now they make a big deal about it.
(c) Nobody pays any attention to complexion any more.
(d) His dark skin used to be popular, but now is unpopular.
5. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) A telephone.
(b) A new car.
(c) A television.
(d) A house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Rodriguez like as a student?
2. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
3. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
4. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
5. As he gets older, what do people tell Rodriguez about his complexion?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)