|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Complexion, Prologue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he is a child, what do people say about Rodriguez's complexion?
(a) They tell him he is handsome.
(b) They joke with him about how light his skin is.
(c) They tease him.
(d) They tell him to see a doctor to get help.
2. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
(a) He could ask the teacher questions more easily.
(b) He would get better grades.
(c) He could understand the homework assignments better.
(d) He would feel more comfortable in the classroom.
3. What does Rodriguez say is the real reason for his success?
(a) Reading every book he could find.
(b) Working very hard.
(c) Remembering what his life was like before he was educated.
(d) Kissing up to the teacher.
4. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
(a) They stop saying it because they no longer use Spanish words.
(b) They use it to compliment each other on how well they speak English.
(c) The children do not like their parents to use that word any more.
(d) It starts to mean "a non-Hispanic American" as opposed to the "other" or "outsider" that it used to imply.
5. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
(a) He went to a good school and had supportive parents.
(b) He was just very lucky.
(c) He had good teachers.
(d) He worked very hard.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
2. What do fellow students think of the scholarship boy?
3. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
4. What is Rodriguez told about reading the Bible?
5. How does a scholarship boy form his own ideas or opinions?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)