|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Complexion, Prologue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rodriguez has acknowledged that his relationship with his family changed as he became more educated. What does he say about how that affected his success?
(a) He used it to explain to people what his life was like before he was educated.
(b) He used it as an excuse to not work very hard.
(c) He does not complain about the change because he is so glad to be well-educated.
(d) He used it to motivate him to try harder.
2. How does Rodriguez see the scholarship boy?
(a) As someone who is doomed to fail.
(b) As the future of the country.
(c) As the teacher's pet.
(d) As the teacher's puppet.
3. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) A telephone.
(b) A new car.
(c) A television.
(d) A house.
4. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
(a) Can I have your autograph?
(b) How did you manage your success?
(c) Did you benefit from affirmative action?
(d) Are your brothers and sisters as smart as you are?
5. What does Rodriguez say would be the benefit of bilingual education?
(a) He would feel more comfortable in the classroom.
(b) He would get better grades.
(c) He could ask the teacher questions more easily.
(d) He could understand the homework assignments better.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rodriguez told about reading the Bible?
2. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
3. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
4. When he was a child, what did his parents say he looked like?
5. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)