|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Complexion, Prologue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In The Achievement of Desire, Prologue, Rodriguez says that now that he is successful, people always ask him a certain question. What is it?
(a) Are your brothers and sisters as smart as you are?
(b) Did you benefit from affirmative action?
(c) Can I have your autograph?
(d) How did you manage your success?
2. What do teachers think of the scholarship boy?
(a) They think he needs to work harder.
(b) They think he works too hard.
(c) They are proud of his efforts.
(d) They think he is the teacher's pet.
3. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
(a) Studying with a classmate.
(b) Practicing English with his family.
(c) Learning English from listening to the radio.
(d) Getting extra help from the teacher.
4. When he is a child, what do people say about Rodriguez's complexion?
(a) They tell him to see a doctor to get help.
(b) They tell him he is handsome.
(c) They tease him.
(d) They joke with him about how light his skin is.
5. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
(a) Rodriguez is sad because it reminds him of the closeness his family lost.
(b) Rodriguez is embarrassed because he thinks everyone should speak English.
(c) Rodriguez is frustrated because he thinks those families are making it harder for their children to learn English.
(d) Rodriguez is pleased to know that Spanish is still being spoken in people's homes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
2. What is Rodriguez told about reading the Bible?
3. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
4. What does Rodriguez think about how the meaning of a person's complexion has changed?
5. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)