|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Complexion, Prologue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the scholarship boy use education?
(a) To change himself.
(b) To make friends.
(c) To get a good job.
(d) To make money.
2. Why is the picture of Christ with a punctured heart important?
(a) It symbolizes everything his family believes about God.
(b) It frightens Richard and gives him nightmares.
(c) It symbolizes the intersection of church, school, and home.
(d) It is the first gift his family gets from a priest.
3. As Rodriguez learns more English, what does he do about his parents' English skills?
(a) He teaches them how to speak English.
(b) He corrects their grammar.
(c) He tells them to be quiet and let him do the talking.
(d) He gets angry at them for speaking Spanish.
4. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
(a) Rodriguez is embarrassed because he thinks everyone should speak English.
(b) Rodriguez is frustrated because he thinks those families are making it harder for their children to learn English.
(c) Rodriguez is pleased to know that Spanish is still being spoken in people's homes.
(d) Rodriguez is sad because it reminds him of the closeness his family lost.
5. What does Rodriguez say would be the disadvantage of bilingual education?
(a) It would make it easier to cheat on tests.
(b) It would mean he was only in class with other people who spoke Spanish.
(c) It would limit the things he could study in school.
(d) It would make him lazy about learning English.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
2. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
3. What does Rodriguez say is the real reason for his success?
4. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
5. What religious figure was very important in his parents' old church, but becomes less important in the new church?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)