|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Complexion, Prologue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
(a) Rodriguez is frustrated because he thinks those families are making it harder for their children to learn English.
(b) Rodriguez is pleased to know that Spanish is still being spoken in people's homes.
(c) Rodriguez is sad because it reminds him of the closeness his family lost.
(d) Rodriguez is embarrassed because he thinks everyone should speak English.
2. How does Rodriguez's father change as the family starts to speak English more?
(a) He grows quieter because he is uncomfortable with English.
(b) He takes classes to learn English.
(c) He complains about using English.
(d) He gets upset and insists that they speak to him in Spanish.
3. Why is the picture of Christ with a punctured heart important?
(a) It symbolizes everything his family believes about God.
(b) It is the first gift his family gets from a priest.
(c) It frightens Richard and gives him nightmares.
(d) It symbolizes the intersection of church, school, and home.
4. What does Rodriguez do in Aria, Chapter 2, that gives him the confidence to speak up in class?
(a) Getting extra help from the teacher.
(b) Practicing English with his family.
(c) Studying with a classmate.
(d) Learning English from listening to the radio.
5. How does the family's communication change as the children learn more English?
(a) They talk less because it is hard for the parents to understand their children when they speak English.
(b) They enjoy speaking Spanish together more.
(c) Their mother talks to them a lot, but their father never speaks to them.
(d) Their mother and father speak to them, but they no longer talk to their grandmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do teachers think of the scholarship boy?
2. How does a scholarship boy form his own ideas or opinions?
3. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
4. As Rodriguez and his siblings learn more English, what happens to their family?
5. What two versions of his religion does Rodriguez say his parents had to choose between?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)