|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Complexion, Prologue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rodriguez think about how the meaning of a person's complexion has changed?
(a) His dark skin used to be popular, but now is unpopular.
(b) His dark skin used to be unpopular, but now is popular.
(c) Nobody pays any attention to complexion any more.
(d) People used to ignore his complexion, but now they make a big deal about it.
2. When Rodriguez's mother becomes more fluent in English, she convinces her husband to buy _________. (fill in the blank)
(a) A telephone.
(b) A television.
(c) A new car.
(d) A house.
3. As an adult, what do people think his complexion says about him?
(a) That he is rich and lives a life of luxury.
(b) That he is unhealthy.
(c) That he is poor and works in the sun all day.
(d) That he spends a lot of time indoors.
4. Once the family has shifted to speaking English, how does Rodriguez feel when he hears families speaking Spanish?
(a) Rodriguez is pleased to know that Spanish is still being spoken in people's homes.
(b) Rodriguez is sad because it reminds him of the closeness his family lost.
(c) Rodriguez is frustrated because he thinks those families are making it harder for their children to learn English.
(d) Rodriguez is embarrassed because he thinks everyone should speak English.
5. What do fellow students think of the scholarship boy?
(a) They think he is the teacher's pet.
(b) They think he works too hard.
(c) They are proud of his efforts.
(d) They think he needs to work harder.
Short Answer Questions
1. What religious figure was very important in his parents' old church, but becomes less important in the new church?
2. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
3. How does Rodriguez's father change as the family starts to speak English more?
4. When he was a child, what did his parents say he looked like?
5. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)