|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Complexion, Prologue.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rodriguez explain his success to people?
(a) He had good teachers.
(b) He went to a good school and had supportive parents.
(c) He was just very lucky.
(d) He worked very hard.
2. What does Rodriguez say is the real reason for his success?
(a) Working very hard.
(b) Remembering what his life was like before he was educated.
(c) Kissing up to the teacher.
(d) Reading every book he could find.
3. How does the family's use of the word "gringo" change as the children learn more English?
(a) The children do not like their parents to use that word any more.
(b) It starts to mean "a non-Hispanic American" as opposed to the "other" or "outsider" that it used to imply.
(c) They stop saying it because they no longer use Spanish words.
(d) They use it to compliment each other on how well they speak English.
4. What religious figure was very important in his parents' old church, but becomes less important in the new church?
(a) St. Peter.
(b) The priest.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
5. How does Rodriguez's mother change as the family starts to speak English more?
(a) She gets upset and insists that they speak to her in Spanish.
(b) She learns more English and works hard to talk to her children.
(c) She complains about using English.
(d) She helps her children learn more English.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rodriguez think about how the meaning of a person's complexion has changed?
2. Why do Rodriguez's teachers visit his house?
3. What does Rodriguez say he gains because of learning to speak English?
4. What do fellow students think of the scholarship boy?
5. Why is the picture of Christ with a punctured heart important?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)