Middle Class Pastoral
* Rodriguez describes himself as a "socially disadvantaged" child who grew up under the watchful eyes of his parents.
* He is writing the book 30 years later, as a middle-class American surrounded by rich people.
* He realizes early on that his education would separate him from his parents.
* He sees the difference in language as part of that separation -- the rich people around him now pronounce his name differently than his family did.
* He is writing the book to analyze how he came from a lower-class background to become the person he is today.
* He is conflicted about his education.
* He implies that his family did not have the same education he did.
Aria, Chapter 1
* Rodriguez describes his first day of school as a child with limited English skills.
* School reinforces his idea that English was a public language and Spanish was a private language.
This section contains 3,569 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)