|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clym give of Eustacia's?
2. About what does Diggory do when he talks to Mrs. Yeobright?
3. Why does Mrs. Yeobright get tired?
4. Why is Thomasin now attracted to Diggory?
5. Where is Eustacia at midnight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charley care for Eustacia?
2. What conversations lead to Clym learning about the day of his mother's death?
3. Why is Mrs. Yeobright shocked?
4. Why is Mrs. Yeobright never let in the house?
5. What is Susan Nunsuch doing?
6. What takes place near Thomasin's house?
7. What takes place during Clym's nap before going back to work?
8. How are Clym and Thomasin's suspicions similar?
9. What happens to Clym's letter?
10. Why do Thomasin and Clym live in the same home but lead separate lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author's approach to revealing each character is unique.
Part 1) How?
Part 2) Do the characters seem real or contrived? Why?
Part 3) How do these characters compare to other Victorian literary figures?
Essay Topic 2
Towards the end of the novel the action picks up speed.
Part 1) How does it pick up speed?
Part 2) Why does it pick up speed?
Part 3) Is it an effective storytelling tool and way of keeping readers engaged? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Eustacia is a very beautiful woman.
Part 1) Describe the relationship Eustacia has with men.
Part 2) What do the women think of Eustacia?
Part 3) How does her beauty affect her as a person and have a hand in her demise?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)