|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clym never thank his mother for the inheritance money?
2. How does Thomasin surprise Clym?
3. What does Clym become?
4. Why are the locals working on this?
5. What does Diggory want to erect?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the locals making a mattress?
2. Why does Clym never thank his mother for the inheritance money she sent him on his wedding day?
3. How does Charley care for Eustacia?
4. How does Eustacia react when Clym confronts her?
5. Why is Mrs. Yeobright shocked?
6. How does the fire act as a signal?
7. How has Diggory changed upon his return to the heath two years later?
8. What does Thomasin learn from Rachel?
9. What has happened to Mrs. Yeobright?
10. What happens to Clym's letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Damon Wildeve is unsure about his feelings towards both Eustacia and Thomasin.
Part 1) What does this say about his character?
Part 2) What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) What role does he play in the novel? What is his purpose?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is first published in 1878, in the Victorian style, but it is unusual in the way it deals with moral and ethical questions.
Part 1) What is usually found in traditional Victorian literature?
Part 2) How is this novel different?
Part 3) How does this affect the types of characters found in the novel? How does it affect the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Clym returns home from Paris.
Part 1) Why does he return home to Egdon Heath?
Part 2) What are his goals?
Part 3) By the end of the novel, has Clym achieved his goals? Why or why not?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)