|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took care of Eustacia in her final days?
2. Why does Clym never thank his mother for the inheritance money?
3. Where is Clym waiting?
4. What has Eustacia forgotten in her rush?
5. Why has the passion between Clym and Eustacia faded?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the local outdoor dance?
2. What happens to Clym's letter?
3. What takes place during Clym's nap before going back to work?
4. Why is Mrs. Yeobright shocked?
5. What happens in the water in the dam?
6. What does Thomasin learn from Rachel?
7. Why is Thomasin worried about marrying Diggory? How is it resolved?
8. Why is Mrs. Yeobright never let in the house?
9. What conversations lead to Clym learning about the day of his mother's death?
10. Why does Clym write a letter to Eustacia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) What are possible reasons for her fall into the water.
Part 2) Which reason do you find to be most likely? Why?
Part 3) How does her death affect the other characters?
Essay Topic 2
The only two people to reach a happy conclusion are Diggory and Thomasin.
Part 1) How are they happy?
Part 2) Why are they the only two who are truly happy?
Part 3) What message does this send to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Towards the end of the novel the action picks up speed.
Part 1) How does it pick up speed?
Part 2) Why does it pick up speed?
Part 3) Is it an effective storytelling tool and way of keeping readers engaged? Why?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)