|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must Mrs. Yeobright cross the heath?
2. How do Thomasin and Clym live their lives in Blooms-End?
3. What is significant about the bonfire night?
4. What does Clym do with his new career?
5. How does she find some rest?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Susan Nunsuch doing?
2. How does Charley care for Eustacia?
3. How has Diggory changed upon his return to the heath two years later?
4. What happens to Clym's letter?
5. What happens at the local outdoor dance?
6. What conversations lead to Clym learning about the day of his mother's death?
7. Why is Clym concerned that Thomasin is falling in love with him?
8. Why do Mrs. Yeobright and Eustacia exchange angry words?
9. Why is Thomasin worried about marrying Diggory? How is it resolved?
10. How is Clym feeling after he learns of his wife's true feelings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomasin has many virtues.
Part 1) What is a virtue?
Part 2) Give examples of her virtues.
Part 3) Does Thomasin impress as a heroine? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A theme in this novel is that the object of one's affection is seen as a possession.
Part 1) What does this mean?
Part 2) Give an example of this from the text.
Part 3) How does this view of love affect the relationships between the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) What are possible reasons for her fall into the water.
Part 2) Which reason do you find to be most likely? Why?
Part 3) How does her death affect the other characters?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)