|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Yeobright offend Eustacia.
2. To what does Eustacia admit during her argument with Mrs. Yeobright?
3. Where does Eustacia allow herself to go?
4. Where does Clym go?
5. What does Clym become?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Yeobright have a difficult time getting to Clym's home?
2. What has happened to Mrs. Yeobright?
3. What happens to Clym's letter?
4. What happens at the local outdoor dance?
5. How does Charley care for Eustacia?
6. How does the fire act as a signal?
7. How does Eustacia react when Clym confronts her?
8. Why is Mrs. Yeobright never let in the house?
9. How is Clym feeling after he learns of his wife's true feelings?
10. Why does Clym write a letter to Eustacia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Damon Wildeve is unsure about his feelings towards both Eustacia and Thomasin.
Part 1) What does this say about his character?
Part 2) What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) What role does he play in the novel? What is his purpose?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) What are possible reasons for her fall into the water.
Part 2) Which reason do you find to be most likely? Why?
Part 3) How does her death affect the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Towards the end of the novel the action picks up speed.
Part 1) How does it pick up speed?
Part 2) Why does it pick up speed?
Part 3) Is it an effective storytelling tool and way of keeping readers engaged? Why?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)