|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took care of Eustacia in her final days?
2. How does Charley try to lift Eustacia's spirits?
3. What does Clym do with his new career?
4. What does Eustacia ask her grandfather?
5. What does Thomasin see Diggory tenderly pick up?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Thomasin worried about marrying Diggory? How is it resolved?
2. What does Thomasin learn from Rachel?
3. What takes place at Blooms-End?
4. Why does Clym write a letter to Eustacia?
5. What is Susan Nunsuch doing?
6. How does Charley care for Eustacia?
7. What happens at the local outdoor dance?
8. How does the fire act as a signal?
9. How has Diggory changed upon his return to the heath two years later?
10. Why are the locals making a mattress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clym returns home from Paris.
Part 1) Why does he return home to Egdon Heath?
Part 2) What are his goals?
Part 3) By the end of the novel, has Clym achieved his goals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The presentation of the character of Diggory Venn is full of ambiguity.
Part 1) What does it mean to be ambiguous?
Part 2) How is this character ambiguous?
Part 3) How does this ambiguity affect the reader's view of him? Does he grow less or more ambiguous throughout the novel? Does he stay the same?
Essay Topic 3
The author's approach to revealing each character is unique.
Part 1) How?
Part 2) Do the characters seem real or contrived? Why?
Part 3) How do these characters compare to other Victorian literary figures?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)