|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clym not attend the wedding?
2. Where is Eustacia at midnight?
3. How does Charley try to lift Eustacia's spirits?
4. How does Clym feel about his mother's death?
5. What plan do Eustacia and Wildeve concoct?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clym become a preacher?
2. Why does Mrs. Yeobright have a difficult time getting to Clym's home?
3. How does Eustacia react when Clym confronts her?
4. What has happened to Mrs. Yeobright?
5. Why do Thomasin and Clym live in the same home but lead separate lives?
6. What takes place at Blooms-End?
7. How has Diggory changed upon his return to the heath two years later?
8. Why is Thomasin worried about marrying Diggory? How is it resolved?
9. Why is Mrs. Yeobright shocked?
10. How are Clym and Thomasin's suspicions similar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The heath is described almost like a character.
Part 1) Describe Egdon Heath.
Part 2) Which characters resemble the heath? How?
Part 3) Which characters are very different from the heath? How?
Essay Topic 2
The presentation of the character of Diggory Venn is full of ambiguity.
Part 1) What does it mean to be ambiguous?
Part 2) How is this character ambiguous?
Part 3) How does this ambiguity affect the reader's view of him? Does he grow less or more ambiguous throughout the novel? Does he stay the same?
Essay Topic 3
The ending for the protagonist is bittersweet.
Part 1) How?
Part 2) Why does the author end the book in this way?
Part 3) How do you feel about the ending? Would you rather see it end another way? Why or why not?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)