|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Clym unable to continue his studies temporarily?
2. What do they both hear?
3. How does Diggory's change of occupation affect his relationship with Thomasin?
4. Who does Eustacia encounter?
5. Which characters reach a happy conclusion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Clym feel about his new job?
2. What happens at the local outdoor dance?
3. Why does Clym never thank his mother for the inheritance money she sent him on his wedding day?
4. What intrigues Thomasin about Diggory?
5. Why do Thomasin and Clym live in the same home but lead separate lives?
6. How is Clym feeling after he learns of his wife's true feelings?
7. Why is Clym concerned that Thomasin is falling in love with him?
8. What conversations lead to Clym learning about the day of his mother's death?
9. How does Charley care for Eustacia?
10. Why does Mrs. Yeobright have a difficult time getting to Clym's home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The transformation of the odd reddleman into a desirable husband seems a little forced.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What is the reason for this change in the character?
Part 3) How does the author feel about the changes? How do you feel about the changes?
Essay Topic 2
A theme in this novel is that the object of one's affection is seen as a possession.
Part 1) What does this mean?
Part 2) Give an example of this from the text.
Part 3) How does this view of love affect the relationships between the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Clym returns home from Paris.
Part 1) Why does he return home to Egdon Heath?
Part 2) What are his goals?
Part 3) By the end of the novel, has Clym achieved his goals? Why or why not?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)