|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what are the locals working?
2. What does Diggory deduce?
3. What does Clym give of Eustacia's?
4. Who do Eustacia and Wildeve see as they walk back to the heath?
5. How does Diggory confirm his belief?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thomasin learn from Rachel?
2. How is Clym feeling after he learns of his wife's true feelings?
3. What happens at the local outdoor dance?
4. How does Clym feel about his new job?
5. Why is Clym concerned that Thomasin is falling in love with him?
6. Why does Clym become a preacher?
7. What takes place during Clym's nap before going back to work?
8. Why is Thomasin worried about marrying Diggory? How is it resolved?
9. How does Charley care for Eustacia?
10. What conversations lead to Clym learning about the day of his mother's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Towards the end of the novel the action picks up speed.
Part 1) How does it pick up speed?
Part 2) Why does it pick up speed?
Part 3) Is it an effective storytelling tool and way of keeping readers engaged? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is first published in 1878, in the Victorian style, but it is unusual in the way it deals with moral and ethical questions.
Part 1) What is usually found in traditional Victorian literature?
Part 2) How is this novel different?
Part 3) How does this affect the types of characters found in the novel? How does it affect the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Clym returns home from Paris.
Part 1) Why does he return home to Egdon Heath?
Part 2) What are his goals?
Part 3) By the end of the novel, has Clym achieved his goals? Why or why not?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)