|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Clym unable to continue his studies temporarily?
2. How does Diggory confirm his belief?
3. Where does Eustacia allow herself to go?
4. Why does Wildeve withdraw from Eustacia?
5. On what are the locals working?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Clym's letter?
2. Why is Clym concerned that Thomasin is falling in love with him?
3. What intrigues Thomasin about Diggory?
4. How does Charley care for Eustacia?
5. Why are the locals making a mattress?
6. What does Thomasin learn from Rachel?
7. Why does Mrs. Yeobright have a difficult time getting to Clym's home?
8. Why does Clym not attend the wedding?
9. What takes place during Clym's nap before going back to work?
10. Why is Mrs. Yeobright shocked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme in this novel is that seemingly minor causes have great effects.
Part 1) Name two minor causes.
Part 2) What are the effects of those minor events?
Part 3) How do the seemingly insignificant events at the beginning of the novel lead to tragedy and great change at the end?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) What are possible reasons for her fall into the water.
Part 2) Which reason do you find to be most likely? Why?
Part 3) How does her death affect the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Clym returns home from Paris.
Part 1) Why does he return home to Egdon Heath?
Part 2) What are his goals?
Part 3) By the end of the novel, has Clym achieved his goals? Why or why not?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)