|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what is Thomasin intrigued?
2. About what is Clym concerned?
3. What do they both hear?
4. Why does Clym ask Thomasin to marry him?
5. On what are the locals working?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Susan Nunsuch doing?
2. What intrigues Thomasin about Diggory?
3. What takes place near Thomasin's house?
4. Why do Mrs. Yeobright and Eustacia exchange angry words?
5. What does Thomasin learn from Rachel?
6. Why is Mrs. Yeobright never let in the house?
7. Why do Thomasin and Clym live in the same home but lead separate lives?
8. Why does Clym never thank his mother for the inheritance money she sent him on his wedding day?
9. Why does Mrs. Yeobright have a difficult time getting to Clym's home?
10. How does the fire act as a signal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is first published in 1878, in the Victorian style, but it is unusual in the way it deals with moral and ethical questions.
Part 1) What is usually found in traditional Victorian literature?
Part 2) How is this novel different?
Part 3) How does this affect the types of characters found in the novel? How does it affect the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) What are possible reasons for her fall into the water.
Part 2) Which reason do you find to be most likely? Why?
Part 3) How does her death affect the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Eustacia is a very beautiful woman.
Part 1) Describe the relationship Eustacia has with men.
Part 2) What do the women think of Eustacia?
Part 3) How does her beauty affect her as a person and have a hand in her demise?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)