|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took care of Eustacia in her final days?
2. Who had visited Mrs. Yeobright the night before she died?
3. To what does Christian confess?
4. What does Diggory deduce?
5. Why does Clym never thank his mother for the inheritance money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place near Thomasin's house?
2. Why is Mrs. Yeobright shocked?
3. What is Susan Nunsuch doing?
4. How does the fire act as a signal?
5. What does Thomasin learn from Rachel?
6. What has happened to Mrs. Yeobright?
7. Why does Clym write a letter to Eustacia?
8. How are Clym and Thomasin's suspicions similar?
9. Why does Clym never thank his mother for the inheritance money she sent him on his wedding day?
10. What intrigues Thomasin about Diggory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Towards the end of the novel the action picks up speed.
Part 1) How does it pick up speed?
Part 2) Why does it pick up speed?
Part 3) Is it an effective storytelling tool and way of keeping readers engaged? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator is omniscient throughout most of the novel.
Part 1) What does omniscient mean?
Part 2) How is it helpful that the narrator is omniscient?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose in making the narrator omniscient?
Essay Topic 3
The novel's protagonist is Clym.
Part 1) Describe Clym.
Part 2) Why is he considered the protagonist?
Part 3) How does he change and develop as a character as the novel progresses?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)