|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clym realize what happened on the day of his mother's death?
2. Who is the furze-cutter Mrs. Yeobright sees?
3. Which characters reach a happy conclusion?
4. How does Clym feel about his mother's death?
5. To what is Eustacia referring when she says Damon is not a "great" enough man?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charley care for Eustacia?
2. Why do Mrs. Yeobright and Eustacia exchange angry words?
3. How has Diggory changed upon his return to the heath two years later?
4. How are Clym and Thomasin's suspicions similar?
5. What happens in the water in the dam?
6. Why does Mrs. Yeobright have a difficult time getting to Clym's home?
7. What takes place during Clym's nap before going back to work?
8. Why is Mrs. Yeobright shocked?
9. How does the fire act as a signal?
10. What takes place at Blooms-End?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ending for the protagonist is bittersweet.
Part 1) How?
Part 2) Why does the author end the book in this way?
Part 3) How do you feel about the ending? Would you rather see it end another way? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) What are possible reasons for her fall into the water.
Part 2) Which reason do you find to be most likely? Why?
Part 3) How does her death affect the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
The author's approach to revealing each character is unique.
Part 1) How?
Part 2) Do the characters seem real or contrived? Why?
Part 3) How do these characters compare to other Victorian literary figures?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)