|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Thomasin visits Clym?
2. What is the date of the bonfire?
3. Why does Clym blame Eustacia completely for his mother's death?
4. How does Venn try to scare Damon?
5. In what is Thomasin intrigued?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Mrs. Yeobright?
2. How does Eustacia react when Clym confronts her?
3. Why are the locals making a mattress?
4. How is Clym feeling after he learns of his wife's true feelings?
5. Why is Mrs. Yeobright never let in the house?
6. How does the fire act as a signal?
7. Why does Clym write a letter to Eustacia?
8. How does Clym feel about his new job?
9. How does Charley care for Eustacia?
10. Why do Mrs. Yeobright and Eustacia exchange angry words?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clym returns home from Paris.
Part 1) Why does he return home to Egdon Heath?
Part 2) What are his goals?
Part 3) By the end of the novel, has Clym achieved his goals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The presentation of the character of Diggory Venn is full of ambiguity.
Part 1) What does it mean to be ambiguous?
Part 2) How is this character ambiguous?
Part 3) How does this ambiguity affect the reader's view of him? Does he grow less or more ambiguous throughout the novel? Does he stay the same?
Essay Topic 3
The transformation of the odd reddleman into a desirable husband seems a little forced.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What is the reason for this change in the character?
Part 3) How does the author feel about the changes? How do you feel about the changes?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)