|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Clym singing?
2. Why is Clym unable to continue his studies temporarily?
3. What does Damon do when Thomasin questions him about his whereabouts?
4. How is Eustacia feeling?
5. Who took care of Eustacia in her final days?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clym write a letter to Eustacia?
2. What is Susan Nunsuch doing?
3. How does the fire act as a signal?
4. What has happened to Mrs. Yeobright?
5. What takes place during Clym's nap before going back to work?
6. What does Thomasin learn from Rachel?
7. Why is Mrs. Yeobright shocked?
8. What takes place at Blooms-End?
9. How has Diggory changed upon his return to the heath two years later?
10. What conversations lead to Clym learning about the day of his mother's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Damon Wildeve is unsure about his feelings towards both Eustacia and Thomasin.
Part 1) What does this say about his character?
Part 2) What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) What role does he play in the novel? What is his purpose?
Essay Topic 2
The heath is described almost like a character.
Part 1) Describe Egdon Heath.
Part 2) Which characters resemble the heath? How?
Part 3) Which characters are very different from the heath? How?
Essay Topic 3
The only two people to reach a happy conclusion are Diggory and Thomasin.
Part 1) How are they happy?
Part 2) Why are they the only two who are truly happy?
Part 3) What message does this send to the reader?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)