|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had visited Mrs. Yeobright the night before she died?
2. To what is Eustacia referring when she says Damon is not a "great" enough man?
3. Who does Eustacia encounter?
4. What happens when Thomasin visits Clym?
5. How does Clym feel about his mother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversations lead to Clym learning about the day of his mother's death?
2. Why does Clym never thank his mother for the inheritance money she sent him on his wedding day?
3. Why do Mrs. Yeobright and Eustacia exchange angry words?
4. Why does Clym write a letter to Eustacia?
5. What intrigues Thomasin about Diggory?
6. Why does Mrs. Yeobright have a difficult time getting to Clym's home?
7. Why does Clym not attend the wedding?
8. How are Clym and Thomasin's suspicions similar?
9. How does the fire act as a signal?
10. How is Clym feeling after he learns of his wife's true feelings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eustacia wants to escape the heath.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How does she plan on escaping?
Part 3) Do her plans work? Why or why not? How could she have handled this situation differently?
Essay Topic 2
The transformation of the odd reddleman into a desirable husband seems a little forced.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What is the reason for this change in the character?
Part 3) How does the author feel about the changes? How do you feel about the changes?
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) What are possible reasons for her fall into the water.
Part 2) Which reason do you find to be most likely? Why?
Part 3) How does her death affect the other characters?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)