|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Meanwhile, what is Susan Nunsuch doing?
2. What does Diggory deduce?
3. What does Damon do when Thomasin questions him about his whereabouts?
4. What does Eustacia ask her grandfather?
5. What is significant about the bonfire night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Diggory changed upon his return to the heath two years later?
2. What intrigues Thomasin about Diggory?
3. How does Eustacia react when Clym confronts her?
4. What takes place at Blooms-End?
5. Why does Mrs. Yeobright have a difficult time getting to Clym's home?
6. Why does Clym never thank his mother for the inheritance money she sent him on his wedding day?
7. How does Clym feel about his new job?
8. What has happened to Mrs. Yeobright?
9. Why does Clym not attend the wedding?
10. What happens to Clym's letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme in this novel is that the object of one's affection is seen as a possession.
Part 1) What does this mean?
Part 2) Give an example of this from the text.
Part 3) How does this view of love affect the relationships between the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The ending for the protagonist is bittersweet.
Part 1) How?
Part 2) Why does the author end the book in this way?
Part 3) How do you feel about the ending? Would you rather see it end another way? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Damon Wildeve is married to Thomasin and in love with Eustacia.
Part 1) Why does he marry Thomasin?
Part 2) Does he truly love Eustacia? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do his feelings affect his actions? To what do his actions lead?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)