|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Venn try to scare Damon?
2. Why does Charley hide Captain Vye's pistols?
3. Why is Eustacia uncomfortable about joining a group?
4. Why are the locals working on this?
5. Which characters reach a happy conclusion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Mrs. Yeobright and Eustacia exchange angry words?
2. What intrigues Thomasin about Diggory?
3. Why is Mrs. Yeobright shocked?
4. What is Susan Nunsuch doing?
5. What happens at the local outdoor dance?
6. Why does Clym never thank his mother for the inheritance money she sent him on his wedding day?
7. What takes place near Thomasin's house?
8. What happens in the water in the dam?
9. How does Charley care for Eustacia?
10. Why are the locals making a mattress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme in this novel is that the object of one's affection is seen as a possession.
Part 1) What does this mean?
Part 2) Give an example of this from the text.
Part 3) How does this view of love affect the relationships between the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Thomasin has many virtues.
Part 1) What is a virtue?
Part 2) Give examples of her virtues.
Part 3) Does Thomasin impress as a heroine? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Yeobright dies.
Part 1) How? Why are they unable to save her?
Part 2) Whose fault is it?
Part 3) How does her death affect the other characters?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)