|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clym do with his new career?
2. What does Clym admit to Thomasin?
3. What does Clym do when he stops studying?
4. How do Thomasin and Clym live their lives in Blooms-End?
5. What is significant about the bonfire night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Clym and Thomasin's suspicions similar?
2. What takes place near Thomasin's house?
3. What has happened to Mrs. Yeobright?
4. What does Thomasin learn from Rachel?
5. Why is Clym concerned that Thomasin is falling in love with him?
6. What happens in the water in the dam?
7. What happens to Clym's letter?
8. Why does Clym become a preacher?
9. What happens at the local outdoor dance?
10. How does Clym feel about his new job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author's approach to revealing each character is unique.
Part 1) How?
Part 2) Do the characters seem real or contrived? Why?
Part 3) How do these characters compare to other Victorian literary figures?
Essay Topic 2
The novel's protagonist is Clym.
Part 1) Describe Clym.
Part 2) Why is he considered the protagonist?
Part 3) How does he change and develop as a character as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Yeobright dies.
Part 1) How? Why are they unable to save her?
Part 2) Whose fault is it?
Part 3) How does her death affect the other characters?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)