|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clym blame Eustacia completely for his mother's death?
2. What happens when Thomasin visits Clym?
3. What is taking place at the same time Diggory is talking to Mrs. Yeobright?
4. To what does Eustacia admit during her argument with Mrs. Yeobright?
5. How does Clym realize what happened on the day of his mother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eustacia react when Clym confronts her?
2. What takes place near Thomasin's house?
3. What happens at the local outdoor dance?
4. How are Clym and Thomasin's suspicions similar?
5. Why does Clym become a preacher?
6. Why does Clym never thank his mother for the inheritance money she sent him on his wedding day?
7. Why is Mrs. Yeobright never let in the house?
8. Why does Mrs. Yeobright have a difficult time getting to Clym's home?
9. What happens in the water in the dam?
10. Why do Mrs. Yeobright and Eustacia exchange angry words?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clym returns home from Paris.
Part 1) Why does he return home to Egdon Heath?
Part 2) What are his goals?
Part 3) By the end of the novel, has Clym achieved his goals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Eustacia wants to escape the heath.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How does she plan on escaping?
Part 3) Do her plans work? Why or why not? How could she have handled this situation differently?
Essay Topic 3
The transformation of the odd reddleman into a desirable husband seems a little forced.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What is the reason for this change in the character?
Part 3) How does the author feel about the changes? How do you feel about the changes?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)