|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Diggory disappointed?
2. What does Clym do one night while he and Eustacia are watching an eclipse?
3. What is a group of people doing?
4. What does the gossiping group mention?
5. What does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to mention to Clym?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Yeobright give Christian an extra fifty guineas?
2. How do Clym and Eustacia finally meet?
3. How does Eustacia feel after her contact with Clym?
4. What are the locals building?
5. What is the lovers' signal? Who are the lovers?
6. What is Clym's goal?
7. What does Clym want to do after he and Esutacia marry?
8. Who is Clym Yeobright?
9. How does Johnny Nonsuch help Eustacia?
10. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not approve of Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The heath is described almost like a character.
Part 1) Describe Egdon Heath.
Part 2) Which characters resemble the heath? How?
Part 3) Which characters are very different from the heath? How?
Essay Topic 2
Eustacia is a very beautiful woman.
Part 1) Describe the relationship Eustacia has with men.
Part 2) What do the women think of Eustacia?
Part 3) How does her beauty affect her as a person and have a hand in her demise?
Essay Topic 3
The only two people to reach a happy conclusion are Diggory and Thomasin.
Part 1) How are they happy?
Part 2) Why are they the only two who are truly happy?
Part 3) What message does this send to the reader?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)