|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Diggory hide?
2. Who is Christian Cantle?
3. What is a reddleman?
4. Why is Damon able to take advantage of Christian?
5. What does Mrs. Yeobright tell Olly Dowden as they walk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might be a reason for Mrs. Yeobright keeping the name of the other suitor from Thomasin?
2. What does Clym want to do after he and Esutacia marry?
3. How does Diggory Venn feel about Thomasin?
4. Are these two still lovers?
5. Why does Susan Nonsuch stab Eustacia?
6. How does Christian lose the money?
7. Why is Mrs. Yeobright stunned by Clym's news?
8. What is Venn doing at the beginning of Chapter Two?
9. Why does Thomasin want the wedding to go ahead under any circumstances?
10. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not approve of Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme in this novel is that seemingly minor causes have great effects.
Part 1) Name two minor causes.
Part 2) What are the effects of those minor events?
Part 3) How do the seemingly insignificant events at the beginning of the novel lead to tragedy and great change at the end?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Yeobright dies.
Part 1) How? Why are they unable to save her?
Part 2) Whose fault is it?
Part 3) How does her death affect the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
Damon Wildeve is married to Thomasin and in love with Eustacia.
Part 1) Why does he marry Thomasin?
Part 2) Does he truly love Eustacia? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do his feelings affect his actions? To what do his actions lead?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)