|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tale does Clym learn while visiting a friend?
2. What is the "article" Wildeve comes to collect from Mrs. Yeobright?
3. What has happened to the reddleman's skin and clothing?
4. What does Mrs. Yeobright tell Thomasin she will give her?
5. What is the object of Eustacia's obsession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Mrs. Yeobright?
2. Who is Clym Yeobright?
3. How do Clym and Eustacia finally meet?
4. What takes place during Clym's nap before going back to work?
5. What is Susan Nunsuch doing?
6. Are these two still lovers?
7. What is Venn doing at the beginning of Chapter Two?
8. Why do Thomasin and Clym live in the same home but lead separate lives?
9. Why is Mrs. Yeobright shocked?
10. Why do Mrs. Yeobright and Eustacia exchange angry words?
Essay Topic 1
Towards the end of the novel the action picks up speed.
Part 1) How does it pick up speed?
Part 2) Why does it pick up speed?
Part 3) Is it an effective storytelling tool and way of keeping readers engaged? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Eustacia is a very beautiful woman.
Part 1) Describe the relationship Eustacia has with men.
Part 2) What do the women think of Eustacia?
Part 3) How does her beauty affect her as a person and have a hand in her demise?
Essay Topic 3
Eustacia wants to escape the heath.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How does she plan on escaping?
Part 3) Do her plans work? Why or why not? How could she have handled this situation differently?
This section contains 1,382 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)