|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rainbarrow?
2. Why does Eustacia worry about Clym falling in love with Thomasin?
3. What are the contents of the letter Eustacia has Diggory deliver to Damon?
4. What does Mrs. Yeobright reveal to Thomasin?
5. What does Mrs. Yeobright tell Thomasin she will give her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eustacia do to see Clym?
2. Why does Charley allow Eustacia to take his role in the play?
3. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not approve of Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
4. Why is Mrs. Yeobright stunned by Clym's news?
5. How do Clym and Eustacia finally meet?
6. Describe Eustacia Vye.
7. How does Thomasin end up in Diggory Venn's wagon?
8. What is Venn doing at the beginning of Chapter Two?
9. Why does Susan Nonsuch stab Eustacia?
10. How does Christian lose the money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Damon Wildeve is unsure about his feelings towards both Eustacia and Thomasin.
Part 1) What does this say about his character?
Part 2) What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) What role does he play in the novel? What is his purpose?
Essay Topic 2
A theme in this novel is that the object of one's affection is seen as a possession.
Part 1) What does this mean?
Part 2) Give an example of this from the text.
Part 3) How does this view of love affect the relationships between the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) What are possible reasons for her fall into the water.
Part 2) Which reason do you find to be most likely? Why?
Part 3) How does her death affect the other characters?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)