|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a mummery?
2. What is expected of Clym?
3. Why is Thomasin having a difficult time?
4. Why does Diggory hide?
5. Describe Damon and Thomasin's wedding.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not approve of Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
2. Describe Egdon Heath.
3. How does Eustacia feel after her contact with Clym?
4. What is Venn doing at the beginning of Chapter Two?
5. What does Damon say to Diggory after reading Eustacia's letter?
6. Describe furze-cutting.
7. How does Christian lose the money?
8. What does Clym want to do after he and Esutacia marry?
9. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not give Damon Thomasin's inheritance?
10. How do Clym and Eustacia finally meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the novel, Damon Wildeve is unsure about his feelings towards both Eustacia and Thomasin.
Part 1) What does this say about his character?
Part 2) What does this foreshadow?
Part 3) What role does he play in the novel? What is his purpose?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) What are possible reasons for her fall into the water.
Part 2) Which reason do you find to be most likely? Why?
Part 3) How does her death affect the other characters?
Essay Topic 3
The only two people to reach a happy conclusion are Diggory and Thomasin.
Part 1) How are they happy?
Part 2) Why are they the only two who are truly happy?
Part 3) What message does this send to the reader?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)