|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eustacia want to be in the play?
2. What is a mummery?
3. Where does "The Return of the Native" take place?
4. Why does Eustacia temporarily lose interest in Wildeve?
5. How does Thomasin act kindly toward Venn?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Johnny Nonsuch help Eustacia?
2. How does Christian lose the money?
3. What does Clym want to do after he and Esutacia marry?
4. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not give Damon Thomasin's inheritance?
5. Why does Mrs. Yeobright give Christian an extra fifty guineas?
6. What is Venn doing at the beginning of Chapter Two?
7. Why is Mrs. Yeobright stunned by Clym's news?
8. What does Damon say to Diggory after reading Eustacia's letter?
9. Describe Egdon Heath.
10. How does Thomasin end up in Diggory Venn's wagon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel is first published in 1878, in the Victorian style, but it is unusual in the way it deals with moral and ethical questions.
Part 1) What is usually found in traditional Victorian literature?
Part 2) How is this novel different?
Part 3) How does this affect the types of characters found in the novel? How does it affect the reader?
Essay Topic 2
The author's approach to revealing each character is unique.
Part 1) How?
Part 2) Do the characters seem real or contrived? Why?
Part 3) How do these characters compare to other Victorian literary figures?
Essay Topic 3
Towards the end of the novel the action picks up speed.
Part 1) How does it pick up speed?
Part 2) Why does it pick up speed?
Part 3) Is it an effective storytelling tool and way of keeping readers engaged? Why?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)