|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the contents of the letter Eustacia has Diggory deliver to Damon?
2. How does Clym perceive her?
3. Where does Christian stop on the way to the wedding?
4. What is the boy with Eustacia doing?
5. What has Susan Nonsuch done to Eustacia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eustacia love Clym?
2. How does Diggory Venn feel about Thomasin?
3. Describe Eustacia Vye.
4. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not give Damon Thomasin's inheritance?
5. What is Venn doing at the beginning of Chapter Two?
6. Why does Susan Nonsuch stab Eustacia?
7. Why does Charley allow Eustacia to take his role in the play?
8. Describe Egdon Heath.
9. How is Eustacia's performance in the play?
10. Why might be a reason for Mrs. Yeobright keeping the name of the other suitor from Thomasin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme in this novel is that the object of one's affection is seen as a possession.
Part 1) What does this mean?
Part 2) Give an example of this from the text.
Part 3) How does this view of love affect the relationships between the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Eustacia is a very beautiful woman.
Part 1) Describe the relationship Eustacia has with men.
Part 2) What do the women think of Eustacia?
Part 3) How does her beauty affect her as a person and have a hand in her demise?
Essay Topic 3
The only two people to reach a happy conclusion are Diggory and Thomasin.
Part 1) How are they happy?
Part 2) Why are they the only two who are truly happy?
Part 3) What message does this send to the reader?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)