|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Christian stop on the way to the wedding?
2. Why is Thomasin having a difficult time?
3. What has happened to the reddleman's skin and clothing?
4. About what does Eustacia have reservations?
5. What is Rainbarrow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eustacia do to see Clym?
2. Who is Clym Yeobright?
3. How does Johnny Nonsuch help Eustacia?
4. What does Damon say to Diggory after reading Eustacia's letter?
5. Why does Mrs. Yeobright give Christian an extra fifty guineas?
6. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not approve of Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
7. How does Diggory Venn feel about Thomasin?
8. How does Eustacia feel after her contact with Clym?
9. Why does Eustacia love Clym?
10. Why is Mrs. Yeobright stunned by Clym's news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The ending for the protagonist is bittersweet.
Part 1) How?
Part 2) Why does the author end the book in this way?
Part 3) How do you feel about the ending? Would you rather see it end another way? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The author's approach to revealing each character is unique.
Part 1) How?
Part 2) Do the characters seem real or contrived? Why?
Part 3) How do these characters compare to other Victorian literary figures?
Essay Topic 3
The novel is first published in 1878, in the Victorian style, but it is unusual in the way it deals with moral and ethical questions.
Part 1) What is usually found in traditional Victorian literature?
Part 2) How is this novel different?
Part 3) How does this affect the types of characters found in the novel? How does it affect the reader?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)