|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Christian leave the inn in despair?
2. What is a mummery?
3. What do some of the locals notice about Clym?
4. What does Clym do one night while he and Eustacia are watching an eclipse?
5. For what is Christian gambling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thomasin want the wedding to go ahead under any circumstances?
2. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not approve of Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
3. How does Diggory Venn feel about Thomasin?
4. Describe furze-cutting.
5. Why is Mrs. Yeobright stunned by Clym's news?
6. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not give Damon Thomasin's inheritance?
7. What is the lovers' signal? Who are the lovers?
8. What does Damon say to Diggory after reading Eustacia's letter?
9. What does Clym want to do after he and Esutacia marry?
10. Why might be a reason for Mrs. Yeobright keeping the name of the other suitor from Thomasin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The presentation of the character of Diggory Venn is full of ambiguity.
Part 1) What does it mean to be ambiguous?
Part 2) How is this character ambiguous?
Part 3) How does this ambiguity affect the reader's view of him? Does he grow less or more ambiguous throughout the novel? Does he stay the same?
Essay Topic 2
Eustacia wants to escape the heath.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How does she plan on escaping?
Part 3) Do her plans work? Why or why not? How could she have handled this situation differently?
Essay Topic 3
The novel's protagonist is Clym.
Part 1) Describe Clym.
Part 2) Why is he considered the protagonist?
Part 3) How does he change and develop as a character as the novel progresses?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)