|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "The Return of the Native" take place?
2. What does Mrs. Yeobright tell Wildeve?
3. Why is little Johnny afraid of Diggory Venn?
4. Why does Clym join the group to help get the bucket out of Eustacia's well?
5. Why do Eustacia and Wildeve argue?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Thomasin go to see Mrs. Yeobright?
2. What are the locals building?
3. Why is Mrs. Yeobright stunned by Clym's news?
4. Why does Susan Nonsuch stab Eustacia?
5. Why might be a reason for Mrs. Yeobright keeping the name of the other suitor from Thomasin?
6. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not give Damon Thomasin's inheritance?
7. Why does Mrs. Yeobright give Christian an extra fifty guineas?
8. What does Clym want to do after he and Esutacia marry?
9. Why does Thomasin want the wedding to go ahead under any circumstances?
10. How is Eustacia's performance in the play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The presentation of the character of Diggory Venn is full of ambiguity.
Part 1) What does it mean to be ambiguous?
Part 2) How is this character ambiguous?
Part 3) How does this ambiguity affect the reader's view of him? Does he grow less or more ambiguous throughout the novel? Does he stay the same?
Essay Topic 2
The narrator is omniscient throughout most of the novel.
Part 1) What does omniscient mean?
Part 2) How is it helpful that the narrator is omniscient?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose in making the narrator omniscient?
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) What are possible reasons for her fall into the water.
Part 2) Which reason do you find to be most likely? Why?
Part 3) How does her death affect the other characters?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)