|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the gossiping group mention?
2. Why does Mrs. Yeobright say Clym is no longer allowed in her house?
3. What is noticed on the highest point of the heath?
4. What does Venn encourage Eustacia to do?
5. What is a group of people doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lovers' signal? Who are the lovers?
2. What does Damon say to Diggory after reading Eustacia's letter?
3. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not approve of Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
4. Why does Thomasin go to see Mrs. Yeobright?
5. What are the locals building?
6. Why is Mrs. Yeobright stunned by Clym's news?
7. How does Eustacia feel after her contact with Clym?
8. Describe Eustacia Vye.
9. How does Christian lose the money?
10. Why does Susan Nonsuch stab Eustacia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator is omniscient throughout most of the novel.
Part 1) What does omniscient mean?
Part 2) How is it helpful that the narrator is omniscient?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose in making the narrator omniscient?
Essay Topic 2
The novel's protagonist is Clym.
Part 1) Describe Clym.
Part 2) Why is he considered the protagonist?
Part 3) How does he change and develop as a character as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 3
The author's approach to revealing each character is unique.
Part 1) How?
Part 2) Do the characters seem real or contrived? Why?
Part 3) How do these characters compare to other Victorian literary figures?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)