|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the object of Eustacia's obsession?
2. How is the location introduced?
3. What does Eustacia admit about her love for Wildeve?
4. What is Rainbarrow?
5. What tale does Clym learn while visiting a friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Damon say to Diggory after reading Eustacia's letter?
2. What does Eustacia do to see Clym?
3. What is Venn doing at the beginning of Chapter Two?
4. How does Eustacia feel after her contact with Clym?
5. Describe furze-cutting.
6. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not approve of Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
7. Who is Clym Yeobright?
8. Why does Mrs. Yeobright give Christian an extra fifty guineas?
9. Why does Susan Nonsuch stab Eustacia?
10. How does Thomasin end up in Diggory Venn's wagon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eustacia is a very beautiful woman.
Part 1) Describe the relationship Eustacia has with men.
Part 2) What do the women think of Eustacia?
Part 3) How does her beauty affect her as a person and have a hand in her demise?
Essay Topic 2
Eustacia wants to escape the heath.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How does she plan on escaping?
Part 3) Do her plans work? Why or why not? How could she have handled this situation differently?
Essay Topic 3
A theme in this novel is that the object of one's affection is seen as a possession.
Part 1) What does this mean?
Part 2) Give an example of this from the text.
Part 3) How does this view of love affect the relationships between the characters?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)