|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clym perceive her?
2. What happens when Eustacia's parents die when she is a little girl?
3. How does Mrs. Yeobright feel about Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
4. What are Humphrey and Sam?
5. What does Clym suggest to Eustacia after his argument with Mrs. Yeobright?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Egdon Heath.
2. Why is Mrs. Yeobright stunned by Clym's news?
3. What does Eustacia do to see Clym?
4. Why does Eustacia love Clym?
5. How does Diggory Venn feel about Thomasin?
6. Of all the romance in this story, which one seems to be most true? Why?
7. Are these two still lovers?
8. How does Thomasin end up in Diggory Venn's wagon?
9. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not give Damon Thomasin's inheritance?
10. Describe furze-cutting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme in this novel is that the object of one's affection is seen as a possession.
Part 1) What does this mean?
Part 2) Give an example of this from the text.
Part 3) How does this view of love affect the relationships between the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The only two people to reach a happy conclusion are Diggory and Thomasin.
Part 1) How are they happy?
Part 2) Why are they the only two who are truly happy?
Part 3) What message does this send to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Clym returns home from Paris.
Part 1) Why does he return home to Egdon Heath?
Part 2) What are his goals?
Part 3) By the end of the novel, has Clym achieved his goals? Why or why not?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)