|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wildeve's supposed oversight?
2. Where does Clym want to move when he becomes a teacher?
3. Who is supervising the furze cutters' work?
4. Why do Eustacia and Wildeve argue?
5. What is noticed on the highest point of the heath?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eustacia feel after her contact with Clym?
2. Describe Eustacia Vye.
3. Why does Clym write a letter to Eustacia?
4. How does Diggory Venn feel about Thomasin?
5. What intrigues Thomasin about Diggory?
6. Why does Clym become a preacher?
7. Are these two still lovers?
8. How does Eustacia react when Clym confronts her?
9. How does the fire act as a signal?
10. What does Thomasin learn from Rachel?
Essay Topic 1
The transformation of the odd reddleman into a desirable husband seems a little forced.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) What is the reason for this change in the character?
Part 3) How does the author feel about the changes? How do you feel about the changes?
Essay Topic 2
The novel's protagonist is Clym.
Part 1) Describe Clym.
Part 2) Why is he considered the protagonist?
Part 3) How does he change and develop as a character as the novel progresses?
Essay Topic 3
Clym returns home from Paris.
Part 1) Why does he return home to Egdon Heath?
Part 2) What are his goals?
Part 3) By the end of the novel, has Clym achieved his goals? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,384 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)