|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clym spend many hours reading?
2. What has happened to the reddleman's skin and clothing?
3. Where does Clym want to move when he becomes a teacher?
4. Why does Clym want to meet Eustacia?
5. For what are Mrs. Yeobright and Thomasin preparing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not approve of Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
2. How does Johnny Nonsuch help Eustacia?
3. How does Christian lose the money?
4. Who is Clym Yeobright?
5. How does Eustacia feel after her contact with Clym?
6. Why does Thomasin go to see Mrs. Yeobright?
7. What is Venn doing at the beginning of Chapter Two?
8. Describe furze-cutting.
9. What does Clym want to do after he and Esutacia marry?
10. What are the locals building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Damon Wildeve is married to Thomasin and in love with Eustacia.
Part 1) Why does he marry Thomasin?
Part 2) Does he truly love Eustacia? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do his feelings affect his actions? To what do his actions lead?
Essay Topic 2
A theme in this novel is that the object of one's affection is seen as a possession.
Part 1) What does this mean?
Part 2) Give an example of this from the text.
Part 3) How does this view of love affect the relationships between the characters?
Essay Topic 3
The presentation of the character of Diggory Venn is full of ambiguity.
Part 1) What does it mean to be ambiguous?
Part 2) How is this character ambiguous?
Part 3) How does this ambiguity affect the reader's view of him? Does he grow less or more ambiguous throughout the novel? Does he stay the same?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)