Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is this expected of him?
2. What is Wildeve's supposed oversight?
3. Where does Christian stop on the way to the wedding?
4. What does Eustacia convince a local boy to do?
5. What does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to mention to Clym?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Thomasin and Clym live in the same home but lead separate lives?
2. Are these two still lovers?
3. Why does Thomasin go to see Mrs. Yeobright?
4. How does Eustacia react when Clym confronts her?
5. Why is Mrs. Yeobright never let in the house?
6. Why does Thomasin want the wedding to go ahead under any circumstances?
7. What intrigues Thomasin about Diggory?
8. How do Clym and Eustacia finally meet?
9. How does Thomasin end up in Diggory Venn's wagon?
10. Why does Mrs. Yeobright have a difficult time getting to Clym's home?
Essay Topic 1
The only two people to reach a happy conclusion are Diggory and Thomasin.
Part 1) How are they happy?
Part 2) Why are they the only two who are truly happy?
Part 3) What message does this send to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
A theme in this novel is that seemingly minor causes have great effects.
Part 1) Name two minor causes.
Part 2) What are the effects of those minor events?
Part 3) How do the seemingly insignificant events at the beginning of the novel lead to tragedy and great change at the end?
Essay Topic 3
Eustacia wants to escape the heath.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How does she plan on escaping?
Part 3) Do her plans work? Why or why not? How could she have handled this situation differently?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)