|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thomasin act kindly toward Venn?
2. Why do Eustacia and Wildeve argue?
3. What do others do when they recognize it is Eustacia?
4. What is a mummery?
5. Describe Damon and Thomasin's wedding.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Thomasin end up in Diggory Venn's wagon?
2. Why does Charley allow Eustacia to take his role in the play?
3. Why does Mrs. Yeobright give Christian an extra fifty guineas?
4. What does Eustacia do to see Clym?
5. Describe furze-cutting.
6. What is the lovers' signal? Who are the lovers?
7. What is Clym's goal?
8. Why might be a reason for Mrs. Yeobright keeping the name of the other suitor from Thomasin?
9. Describe Eustacia Vye.
10. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not give Damon Thomasin's inheritance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eustacia wants to escape the heath.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How does she plan on escaping?
Part 3) Do her plans work? Why or why not? How could she have handled this situation differently?
Essay Topic 2
The only two people to reach a happy conclusion are Diggory and Thomasin.
Part 1) How are they happy?
Part 2) Why are they the only two who are truly happy?
Part 3) What message does this send to the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Yeobright dies.
Part 1) How? Why are they unable to save her?
Part 2) Whose fault is it?
Part 3) How does her death affect the other characters?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)