|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wildeve's supposed oversight?
2. What does the gossiping group mention?
3. Why does Eustacia temporarily lose interest in Wildeve?
4. What is a reddleman?
5. How does Thomasin act kindly toward Venn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Venn doing at the beginning of Chapter Two?
2. Why is Mrs. Yeobright stunned by Clym's news?
3. Why does Charley allow Eustacia to take his role in the play?
4. What is Clym's goal?
5. Why does Eustacia love Clym?
6. Of all the romance in this story, which one seems to be most true? Why?
7. What does Eustacia do to see Clym?
8. How does Johnny Nonsuch help Eustacia?
9. What is the lovers' signal? Who are the lovers?
10. Why might be a reason for Mrs. Yeobright keeping the name of the other suitor from Thomasin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clym returns home from Paris.
Part 1) Why does he return home to Egdon Heath?
Part 2) What are his goals?
Part 3) By the end of the novel, has Clym achieved his goals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A theme in this novel is that the object of one's affection is seen as a possession.
Part 1) What does this mean?
Part 2) Give an example of this from the text.
Part 3) How does this view of love affect the relationships between the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Thomasin has many virtues.
Part 1) What is a virtue?
Part 2) Give examples of her virtues.
Part 3) Does Thomasin impress as a heroine? Why or why not?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)