|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Yeobright keep from Thomasin?
2. What is the "article" Wildeve comes to collect from Mrs. Yeobright?
3. What does Clym suggest to Eustacia after his argument with Mrs. Yeobright?
4. What does Mrs. Yeobright refuse to do?
5. Why are the locals going to Thomasin's later?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of all the romance in this story, which one seems to be most true? Why?
2. What are the locals building?
3. How does Diggory Venn feel about Thomasin?
4. Describe Egdon Heath.
5. What does Damon say to Diggory after reading Eustacia's letter?
6. What does Eustacia do to see Clym?
7. Describe furze-cutting.
8. How does Christian lose the money?
9. Why does Thomasin go to see Mrs. Yeobright?
10. Describe Eustacia Vye.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The only two people to reach a happy conclusion are Diggory and Thomasin.
Part 1) How are they happy?
Part 2) Why are they the only two who are truly happy?
Part 3) What message does this send to the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Towards the end of the novel the action picks up speed.
Part 1) How does it pick up speed?
Part 2) Why does it pick up speed?
Part 3) Is it an effective storytelling tool and way of keeping readers engaged? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The ending for the protagonist is bittersweet.
Part 1) How?
Part 2) Why does the author end the book in this way?
Part 3) How do you feel about the ending? Would you rather see it end another way? Why or why not?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)