|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Thomasin having a difficult time?
2. Why is Damon able to take advantage of Christian?
3. Who is supervising the furze cutters' work?
4. What does Eustacia convince a local boy to do?
5. For what is Christian gambling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clym write a letter to Eustacia?
2. How does Johnny Nonsuch help Eustacia?
3. Why are the locals making a mattress?
4. What happens at the local outdoor dance?
5. Why does Clym become a preacher?
6. Why is Mrs. Yeobright stunned by Clym's news?
7. Why do Thomasin and Clym live in the same home but lead separate lives?
8. Describe furze-cutting.
9. What does Damon say to Diggory after reading Eustacia's letter?
10. How does Diggory Venn feel about Thomasin?
Essay Topic 1
Clym returns home from Paris.
Part 1) Why does he return home to Egdon Heath?
Part 2) What are his goals?
Part 3) By the end of the novel, has Clym achieved his goals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Eustacia wants to escape the heath.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) How does she plan on escaping?
Part 3) Do her plans work? Why or why not? How could she have handled this situation differently?
Essay Topic 3
Thomasin has many virtues.
Part 1) What is a virtue?
Part 2) Give examples of her virtues.
Part 3) Does Thomasin impress as a heroine? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,311 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)