|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clym spend many hours reading?
2. What does Venn encourage Eustacia to do?
3. Why does Eustacia want to be in the play?
4. What does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to mention to Clym?
5. Why does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to tell Clym what has taken place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lovers' signal? Who are the lovers?
2. What is Venn doing at the beginning of Chapter Two?
3. What are the locals building?
4. How does Thomasin end up in Diggory Venn's wagon?
5. How does Christian lose the money?
6. Describe Eustacia Vye.
7. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not approve of Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
8. How does Eustacia feel after her contact with Clym?
9. How does Johnny Nonsuch help Eustacia?
10. Describe Egdon Heath.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Damon Wildeve is married to Thomasin and in love with Eustacia.
Part 1) Why does he marry Thomasin?
Part 2) Does he truly love Eustacia? Why or why not?
Part 3) How do his feelings affect his actions? To what do his actions lead?
Essay Topic 2
The author's approach to revealing each character is unique.
Part 1) How?
Part 2) Do the characters seem real or contrived? Why?
Part 3) How do these characters compare to other Victorian literary figures?
Essay Topic 3
The heath is described almost like a character.
Part 1) Describe Egdon Heath.
Part 2) Which characters resemble the heath? How?
Part 3) Which characters are very different from the heath? How?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)