|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Eustacia at the wedding?
2. Why does the marriage not take place?
3. What do others do when they recognize it is Eustacia?
4. What is a reddleman?
5. Why does Eustacia worry about Clym falling in love with Thomasin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Diggory Venn feel about Thomasin?
2. Why does Susan Nonsuch stab Eustacia?
3. Why is Mrs. Yeobright stunned by Clym's news?
4. What is Clym's goal?
5. What does Eustacia do to see Clym?
6. Describe Egdon Heath.
7. Describe Eustacia Vye.
8. Why does Thomasin go to see Mrs. Yeobright?
9. What are the locals building?
10. How does Christian lose the money?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Towards the end of the novel the action picks up speed.
Part 1) How does it pick up speed?
Part 2) Why does it pick up speed?
Part 3) Is it an effective storytelling tool and way of keeping readers engaged? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Clym returns home from Paris.
Part 1) Why does he return home to Egdon Heath?
Part 2) What are his goals?
Part 3) By the end of the novel, has Clym achieved his goals? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The only two people to reach a happy conclusion are Diggory and Thomasin.
Part 1) How are they happy?
Part 2) Why are they the only two who are truly happy?
Part 3) What message does this send to the reader?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)