|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Christian leave the inn in despair?
(a) He has lost the money in the creek.
(b) He is late to the wedding.
(c) Damon wins the money.
(d) He is lost.
2. What has happened to the reddleman's skin and clothing?
(a) It has all taken on the same color.
(b) It is covered in gun powder.
(c) It is covered in wood shavings.
(d) It smells of leather and polish.
3. What is Wildeve's supposed oversight?
(a) The loss of the rings for the marriage.
(b) The different location of the marriage license.
(c) The new priest performing the ceremony.
(d) The lack of Mrs. Yeobright's approval.
4. Where is Mrs. Yeobright when she hears the news about Clym and Eustacia?
(a) At home.
(b) In the garden.
(c) At Olly's home.
(d) The inn.
5. Why does Eustacia want to be in the play?
(a) So she may see Clym.
(b) She wants to be the center of attention.
(c) It is her favorite play.
(d) She loves to act.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Thomasin act kindly toward Venn?
2. Where does Clym want to move when he becomes a teacher?
3. What is a group of people doing?
4. How is the location introduced?
5. What does Clym suggest to Eustacia after his argument with Mrs. Yeobright?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Clym and Eustacia finally meet?
2. Of all the romance in this story, which one seems to be most true? Why?
3. Why might be a reason for Mrs. Yeobright keeping the name of the other suitor from Thomasin?
4. How does Christian lose the money?
5. Why is Mrs. Yeobright stunned by Clym's news?
6. What is Clym's goal?
7. Describe furze-cutting.
8. How does Thomasin end up in Diggory Venn's wagon?
9. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not give Damon Thomasin's inheritance?
10. Describe Egdon Heath.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)