|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Thomasin act kindly toward Venn?
(a) She accepts his marriage proposal, although she does not love him.
(b) She turns down his marriage proposal in a kind letter, trying not to hurt his feelings.
(c) She visits frequently and brings fresh biscuits and jam.
(d) She tutors him while they in school and stands up for him when he is teased.
2. Why is Damon able to take advantage of Christian?
(a) Damon is very intelligent.
(b) Christian is encouraged by his good luck.
(c) Christian is nervous.
(d) Christian has poor luck.
3. Where is Mrs. Yeobright when she hears the news about Clym and Eustacia?
(a) In the garden.
(b) At home.
(c) The inn.
(d) At Olly's home.
4. What does Clym suggest to Eustacia after his argument with Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) They elope.
(b) They end the engagement.
(c) They get married right away.
(d) They wait a couple of years to marry.
5. Why does Mrs. Yeobright say Clym is no longer allowed in her house?
(a) He is stealing from her.
(b) He has lied to her.
(c) He and Eustacia are getting married.
(d) He is not returning to Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clym perceive her?
2. Why does Eustacia constantly go out on walks?
3. What does Mrs. Yeobright give Christian?
4. What is noticed on the highest point of the heath?
5. What is to have taken place that day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the locals building?
2. Describe furze-cutting.
3. Describe Egdon Heath.
4. Why might be a reason for Mrs. Yeobright keeping the name of the other suitor from Thomasin?
5. What does Eustacia do to see Clym?
6. How do Clym and Eustacia finally meet?
7. What is Clym's goal?
8. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not approve of Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
9. Who is Clym Yeobright?
10. What is Venn doing at the beginning of Chapter Two?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)