|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Eustacia's parents die when she is a little girl?
(a) She is left in the care of her grandfather.
(b) She is left in the care of the Yeobrights.
(c) She is left in an orphanage.
(d) She is left to raise herself.
2. What does Eustacia convince a local boy to do?
(a) Tell Clym she is available.
(b) Sit by her at the play.
(c) Lend her his disguise.
(d) Hold her hand.
3. Why does the marriage not take place?
(a) Thomasin decides she does not want to marry Damon.
(b) There is a difficulty with the marriage license.
(c) They get lost on the way to the chapel.
(d) Mrs. Yeobright does not allow Thomasin to marry.
4. What are the contents of the letter Eustacia has Diggory deliver to Damon?
(a) She is no longer willing to continue their secret meetings.
(b) She hates Damon and hopes he marries Thomasin.
(c) She wants to marry him.
(d) She hopes that even when he is married, he will secretly meet her.
5. Why does Diggory hide?
(a) To avoid speaking to little Johnny.
(b) He does not want Thomasin to catch him.
(c) He hears a caravan going by.
(d) To listen to Eustacia and Wildeve's conversation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Damon irritated?
2. What is Eustacia doing?
3. What tale does Clym learn while visiting a friend?
4. What is the boy with Eustacia doing?
5. Why does Mrs. Yeobright say Clym is no longer allowed in her house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Of all the romance in this story, which one seems to be most true? Why?
2. Why might be a reason for Mrs. Yeobright keeping the name of the other suitor from Thomasin?
3. Why does Mrs. Yeobright give Christian an extra fifty guineas?
4. Why does Eustacia love Clym?
5. Why does Clym never thank his mother for the inheritance money she sent him on his wedding day?
6. What takes place at Blooms-End?
7. What is Susan Nunsuch doing?
8. What is Venn doing at the beginning of Chapter Two?
9. Why do Thomasin and Clym live in the same home but lead separate lives?
10. What happens in the water in the dam?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)