|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Wildeve say he cannot attend Eustacia's wedding?
(a) He hates Clym.
(b) He has to watch the inn.
(c) He is unsure how he would react to seeing her wed.
(d) He is not feeling well.
2. Why does the marriage not take place?
(a) Mrs. Yeobright does not allow Thomasin to marry.
(b) There is a difficulty with the marriage license.
(c) Thomasin decides she does not want to marry Damon.
(d) They get lost on the way to the chapel.
3. What does Diggory Venn tell Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) He tells her he no longer wants to marry Thomasin.
(b) All that he has heard and that his offer of marriage still stands.
(c) Some of what he has heard.
(d) He tells her nothing.
4. How does Clym's mother react when he tells her about his plans?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She is stunned and agitated.
(c) She is very excited.
(d) She is pleasantly surprised.
5. How do Clym and Eustacia meet face-to-face?
(a) Eustacia falls off the stage onto Clym's lap.
(b) They both decide to step outside for some air after the play.
(c) Clym is in the play.
(d) Clym recognizes her and pulls her off the stage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is this expected of him?
2. Why is Diggory disappointed?
3. Why does Christian leave the inn in despair?
4. What does Mrs. Yeobright reveal to Thomasin?
5. What is Eustacia doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might be a reason for Mrs. Yeobright keeping the name of the other suitor from Thomasin?
2. What does Eustacia do to see Clym?
3. Why does Thomasin go to see Mrs. Yeobright?
4. Why does Thomasin want the wedding to go ahead under any circumstances?
5. What is the lovers' signal? Who are the lovers?
6. Who is Clym Yeobright?
7. Of all the romance in this story, which one seems to be most true? Why?
8. How does Christian lose the money?
9. Describe Eustacia Vye.
10. How is Eustacia's performance in the play?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)