|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Thomasin having a difficult time?
(a) Her husband will not give her any spending money.
(b) She worries about Clym.
(c) She does not love her husband.
(d) She does not like Eustacia.
2. For what does the boy ask in exchange?
(a) A chance to hold Eustacia's hand for a few minutes.
(b) Clym's autograph.
(c) A kiss.
(d) Fifty guineas.
3. Where is Mrs. Yeobright when she hears the news about Clym and Eustacia?
(a) At home.
(b) In the garden.
(c) The inn.
(d) At Olly's home.
4. Why does Clym spend many hours reading?
(a) He has nothing better to do.
(b) He is studying to become a teacher.
(c) He loves to read.
(d) He is still learning to read.
5. Why does the marriage not take place?
(a) There is a difficulty with the marriage license.
(b) Thomasin decides she does not want to marry Damon.
(c) Mrs. Yeobright does not allow Thomasin to marry.
(d) They get lost on the way to the chapel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Yeobright tell Thomasin she will give her?
2. Why does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to tell Clym what has taken place?
3. How does Clym's mother react when he tells her about his plans?
4. What has Susan Nonsuch done to Eustacia?
5. What does Venn encourage Eustacia to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Eustacia's performance in the play?
2. Why does Susan Nonsuch stab Eustacia?
3. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not approve of Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
4. What are the locals building?
5. Of all the romance in this story, which one seems to be most true? Why?
6. How does Diggory Venn feel about Thomasin?
7. What does Eustacia do to see Clym?
8. What is Venn doing at the beginning of Chapter Two?
9. Are these two still lovers?
10. Why does Eustacia love Clym?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)