|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Thomasin marry Damon while her cousin is away?
(a) She steals her cousin's money to pay for the wedding.
(b) She wishes to preserve the dignity of her family at all costs.
(c) She knows her cousin does not approve of Damon.
(d) She loves Damon and wants to marry him as soon as possible.
2. What is a group of people doing?
(a) Reading traditional books.
(b) Singing folk tunes and dancing.
(c) Mourning the death of the Captain.
(d) Sleeping on small cots.
3. What does Diggory Venn tell Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) All that he has heard and that his offer of marriage still stands.
(b) He tells her nothing.
(c) He tells her he no longer wants to marry Thomasin.
(d) Some of what he has heard.
4. At what will a group of local boys perform a play?
(b) Mrs. Yeobright's Christmas party.
(d) A celebration in the town hall.
5. Why is Diggory disappointed?
(a) Mrs. Yeobright is preventing him from marrying Thomasin.
(b) Thomasin still does not love him.
(c) He and Damon race to Thomasin, and Damon arrives first and has already secured her hand.
(d) Damon will not marry Thomasin.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clym perceive her?
2. What is furze cutting?
3. Why is little Johnny afraid of Diggory Venn?
4. Where is Mrs. Yeobright when she hears the news about Clym and Eustacia?
5. For what are Mrs. Yeobright and Thomasin preparing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lovers' signal? Who are the lovers?
2. Why does Charley allow Eustacia to take his role in the play?
3. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not approve of Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
4. How does Johnny Nonsuch help Eustacia?
5. Describe Egdon Heath.
6. Of all the romance in this story, which one seems to be most true? Why?
7. Why does Eustacia love Clym?
8. Why might be a reason for Mrs. Yeobright keeping the name of the other suitor from Thomasin?
9. Why does Susan Nonsuch stab Eustacia?
10. Why does Mrs. Yeobright not give Damon Thomasin's inheritance?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)