|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Clym ask Thomasin to marry him?
(a) He is in love with her.
(b) Thomasin loves him.
(c) It is what Eustacia would have wanted.
(d) Out of a sense of duty.
2. What is Mrs. Yeobright resolved to do?
(a) Tell her son how she feels.
(b) Break up her son and Eustacia's marriage.
(c) Tell Thomasin to leave Wildeve.
(d) Reconcile with her son and daughter-in-law.
3. How does Clym react to the news about Eustacia?
(a) He goes after her.
(b) He goes home and tries to forget all about her.
(c) He goes to his room and slams the door shut.
(d) He sits down and cries.
4. Why does Clym never thank his mother for the inheritance money?
(a) He never receives it.
(b) It is not enough money.
(c) He is ungrateful.
(d) He does not realize it is from her.
5. How does Venn try to scare Damon?
(a) With scary stories.
(b) With noises.
(c) With spooky lights.
(d) With threats.
6. How does Mrs. Yeobright offend Eustacia.
(a) She tells her she is a poor excuse for a wife.
(b) She tells her she is an awful cook.
(c) She believes Eustacia has a new lover.
(d) She believes Eustacia has Clym's money.
7. What does Clym admit to Thomasin?
(a) He loves Thomasin.
(b) He is leaving for Paris.
(c) He no longer loves Eustacia.
(d) He is still in love with Eustacia.
8. What does Thomasin wistfully ask Diggory?
(a) What she should do about her husband.
(b) If he knows a way to keep her husband home in the evenings.
(c) Why she married Damon.
(d) If he still loves her.
9. Why is Diggory's skin no longer red?
(a) The dye is now clear.
(b) The red dye no longer stains.
(c) He has found a strong soap.
(d) He has left the reddleman business.
10. Who helps Thomasin to the inn?
(a) Johnny Nunsuch.
(b) Damon Wildeve.
(c) Diggory Venn.
(d) Clym Yeobright.
11. What is significant about the bonfire night?
(a) Eustacia becomes a witch on bonfire nights.
(b) Bonfire nights are scary.
(c) Bonfire nights are part of the heath tradition.
(d) It is one year since the narrative started.
12. About what is Clym concerned?
(a) That Thomasin is falling in love with Clym.
(b) That Diggory is not in love with Thomasin.
(c) That he is falling in love with Thomasin.
(d) That Thomasin will leave him.
13. Which characters reach a happy conclusion?
(a) Only Clym.
(b) The two most selfless.
(c) Those that have passed away.
(d) None of them.
14. To what does Christian confess?
(a) Giving it all the Thomasin.
(b) Spending the money.
(c) Stealing the money.
(d) Losing the money gambling to Wildeve.
15. What career change has Diggory made?
(a) He is a physician.
(b) He is a businessman in London.
(c) He is now a dairy farmer.
(d) He is a lawyer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Eustacia and Wildeve see as they walk back to the heath?
2. Why is Clym hesitant about Thomasin's question?
3. Why does Clym not attend the wedding?
4. Why are the locals working on this?
5. What do they both hear?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)