|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clym do with his new career?
(a) Lecture about moral matters.
(b) Move to Rome.
(c) Manage the town.
(d) Educate young children.
2. Why does Clym blame Eustacia completely for his mother's death?
(a) He hates Eustacia.
(b) It was her fault.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He was asleep at the time his mother arrived.
3. What is Mrs. Yeobright resolved to do?
(a) Tell her son how she feels.
(b) Break up her son and Eustacia's marriage.
(c) Tell Thomasin to leave Wildeve.
(d) Reconcile with her son and daughter-in-law.
4. Which characters reach a happy conclusion?
(a) None of them.
(b) The two most selfless.
(c) Those that have passed away.
(d) Only Clym.
5. What does Diggory want to erect?
(a) A home.
(b) A town square.
(c) A monument in Eustacia's honor.
(d) A maypole.
6. What is the date of the bonfire?
(a) November 31.
(b) October 31.
(c) December 5.
(d) November 5.
7. How does she find some rest?
(a) By a stream.
(b) In the shade of a tree.
(c) At a nearby cottage.
(d) In the inn.
8. Where does Eustacia allow herself to go?
(a) To Paris on her own.
(b) Back to her grandfather's home.
(c) To Mrs. Yeobright for advice.
(d) The local outdoor dance.
9. About what is Clym concerned?
(a) That Diggory is not in love with Thomasin.
(b) That Thomasin is falling in love with Clym.
(c) That he is falling in love with Thomasin.
(d) That Thomasin will leave him.
10. How does Clym react when he realizes Eustacia is to blame for his mother's death?
(a) He is depressed.
(b) He is disappointed.
(c) He is shocked.
(d) He is enraged.
11. What does Clym give of Eustacia's?
(a) A note.
(b) A picture.
(c) A piece of jewelry.
(d) A lock of her hair.
12. Where is Eustacia at midnight?
(a) On her way to meet Damon.
(b) Crying under the moonlight.
(c) On her way to see her husband.
(d) Asleep in her bed.
13. What does Damon do when Thomasin questions him about his whereabouts?
(a) He says nothing.
(b) He becomes agitated.
(c) He becomes shy
(d) He cries.
14. What plan do Eustacia and Wildeve concoct?
(a) For him to go to Paris first.
(b) For them to run away together.
(c) For him to murder Clym.
(d) For her to leave for Paris.
15. Why is Clym unable to continue his studies temporarily?
(a) He does not have the money to buy more books.
(b) He must find a job.
(c) The poor light he has been reading in is affecting his eyesight.
(d) Eustacia is threatening to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Eustacia forgotten in her rush?
2. Who does Clym find?
3. Who had visited Mrs. Yeobright the night before she died?
4. What does Diggory deduce?
5. About what does Diggory do when he talks to Mrs. Yeobright?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)