|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For whom is Thomasin caretaking?
(a) Eustacia's grandfather.
(b) Her daughter.
(c) Her nephew.
(d) Her son.
2. Why is Clym unable to continue his studies temporarily?
(a) Eustacia is threatening to leave.
(b) He does not have the money to buy more books.
(c) The poor light he has been reading in is affecting his eyesight.
(d) He must find a job.
3. To what is Eustacia referring when she says Damon is not a "great" enough man?
(a) For whom to break her vows.
(b) As Thomasin's husband.
(c) He is unkind and untrustworthy.
(d) He is not wealthy enough for her.
4. Who had visited Mrs. Yeobright the night before she died?
5. Why is Diggory's skin no longer red?
(a) He has left the reddleman business.
(b) The dye is now clear.
(c) He has found a strong soap.
(d) The red dye no longer stains.
6. Who helps Thomasin to the inn?
(a) Clym Yeobright.
(b) Johnny Nunsuch.
(c) Diggory Venn.
(d) Damon Wildeve.
7. What does Thomasin realize about Diggory?
(a) He is in love with Rachel.
(b) He is no longer interested in her.
(c) He is moving to Paris.
(d) His tenderness is for her.
8. Why does Clym not attend the wedding?
(a) He is out of town.
(b) He is in love with Thomasin.
(c) He does not approve of the match.
(d) He does not feel well enough in spirits.
9. Why is Eustacia uncomfortable about joining a group?
(a) She does not know anyone.
(b) She cannot find the woman who invited her.
(c) Her husband is not there.
(d) She does not know how to dance.
10. What has Eustacia forgotten in her rush?
(a) The letter from her husband.
(c) To say goodbye to her grandfather.
(d) Her bag.
11. To what does Eustacia admit during her argument with Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) Nothing could ever have stopped her from marrying Clym.
(b) She does not love Clym.
(c) She would never have married Clym, if she had known he was staying in the heath.
(d) She is in love with Damon.
12. Why does Mrs. Yeobright get tired?
(a) It is an arduous walk.
(b) She is not healthy.
(c) It is hot outside.
(d) She gets lost.
13. Why has the passion between Clym and Eustacia faded?
(a) Clym is in love with someone else.
(b) She no longer finds him attractive.
(c) They do not have the same goals.
(d) They are married.
14. How does Mrs. Yeobright offend Eustacia.
(a) She tells her she is a poor excuse for a wife.
(b) She believes Eustacia has Clym's money.
(c) She tells her she is an awful cook.
(d) She believes Eustacia has a new lover.
15. What is Mrs. Yeobright resolved to do?
(a) Break up her son and Eustacia's marriage.
(b) Reconcile with her son and daughter-in-law.
(c) Tell her son how she feels.
(d) Tell Thomasin to leave Wildeve.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eustacia not read Clym's letter?
2. Where do the newlyweds go?
3. What does Mrs. Yeobright decide to do the next day?
4. What does Clym admit to Thomasin?
5. About what does Diggory do when he talks to Mrs. Yeobright?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)