|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clym give of Eustacia's?
(a) A lock of her hair.
(b) A picture.
(c) A note.
(d) A piece of jewelry.
2. What is significant about the bonfire night?
(a) It is one year since the narrative started.
(b) Eustacia becomes a witch on bonfire nights.
(c) Bonfire nights are scary.
(d) Bonfire nights are part of the heath tradition.
3. Why has the passion between Clym and Eustacia faded?
(a) They are married.
(b) She no longer finds him attractive.
(c) Clym is in love with someone else.
(d) They do not have the same goals.
4. Why is Clym unable to continue his studies temporarily?
(a) Eustacia is threatening to leave.
(b) He does not have the money to buy more books.
(c) He must find a job.
(d) The poor light he has been reading in is affecting his eyesight.
5. Why does Eustacia not read Clym's letter?
(a) Captain Vye hides it.
(b) The letter falls on the floor, and she does not see it.
(c) She does not want to hear from him.
(d) It arrives after she is already in bed.
6. For whom is Thomasin caretaking?
(a) Her son.
(b) Eustacia's grandfather.
(c) Her daughter.
(d) Her nephew.
7. How many years later is it when Diggory Venn comes to visit?
(a) Two years.
(b) Seven years.
(c) Ten years.
(d) Five years.
8. Who feels responsible for the entire tragedy?
9. About what does Diggory do when he talks to Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) The benefits of forgiving Clym and accepting his marriage to Eustacia.
(b) Clym's disintigrating marriage to Eustacia.
(c) Eustacia's infidelity.
(d) Forgiving Clym for the mistake he has made in marrying Eustacia.
10. About what is Clym concerned?
(a) That Thomasin will leave him.
(b) That he is falling in love with Thomasin.
(c) That Diggory is not in love with Thomasin.
(d) That Thomasin is falling in love with Clym.
11. What does Thomasin see Diggory tenderly pick up?
(a) A ring.
(b) A glove.
(c) A flower.
(d) A small bird.
12. What does Damon do when Thomasin questions him about his whereabouts?
(a) He becomes shy
(b) He becomes agitated.
(c) He cries.
(d) He says nothing.
13. In what is Thomasin intrigued?
(a) Why Diggory is in town.
(b) The purpose of the maypole.
(c) The identity of the girl that captured Diggory's heart.
(d) Whether he likes her or not.
14. Why is Clym singing?
(a) He has found a job as a singing telegram.
(b) He loves to sing.
(c) It is Eustacia's favorite song.
(d) He is content with working as a furze-cutter.
15. Which characters reach a happy conclusion?
(a) None of them.
(b) Those that have passed away.
(c) The two most selfless.
(d) Only Clym.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what are the locals working?
2. How does Mrs. Yeobright offend Eustacia.
3. Where is Eustacia at midnight?
4. Why does Mrs. Yeobright get tired?
5. What does Thomasin tell Clym?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)