|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Damon irritated?
(a) He wants to marry Eustacia.
(b) He wants to stop the wedding.
(c) He is annoyed with Christian.
(d) Mrs. Yeobright does not trust him with Thomasin's money.
2. Why does Christian leave the inn in despair?
(a) He is lost.
(b) He has lost the money in the creek.
(c) He is late to the wedding.
(d) Damon wins the money.
3. What does Mrs. Yeobright give Christian?
(a) A note for Clym.
(b) An apology letter for Eustacia.
(c) Thomasin's inheritance and fifty guineas for Clym.
(d) A letter stating she approves of the marriage.
4. What is the boy with Eustacia doing?
(a) Learning how to cast spells.
(b) Keeping lookout for Eustacia's lover.
(c) Sleeping by the fire.
(d) Keeping the fire going and listening for a frog to drop into the pond.
5. Why does Clym want to meet Eustacia?
(a) He has loved her since grade school.
(b) He is intrigued by the mention of her beauty.
(c) She seems unique.
(d) He is angry with her about her treatment of Thomasin.
6. What does Mrs. Yeobright refuse to do?
(a) Accept that Thomasin will be attending the wedding.
(b) Attend Clym and Eustacia's wedding.
(c) Allow Clym to marry.
(d) Allow Clym to move out of her home.
7. About what does Eustacia have reservations?
(a) Living in a small cottage.
(b) Marrying Clym.
(c) Leaving her home.
(d) Moving to Paris.
8. What does Diggory Venn tell Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) He tells her nothing.
(b) All that he has heard and that his offer of marriage still stands.
(c) Some of what he has heard.
(d) He tells her he no longer wants to marry Thomasin.
9. What is noticed on the highest point of the heath?
(a) A small cottage.
(b) A lone female figure.
(c) A lone pine tree.
(d) A wolf.
10. What are Humphrey and Sam?
11. Why does Eustacia temporarily lose interest in Wildeve?
(a) He is not leaving the heath.
(b) He is in love with Thomasin.
(c) She views him as someone else's second best.
(d) He is unattractive.
12. Why does Eustacia accept Clym's marriage proposal?
(a) She is sure Clym will take her to Paris.
(b) She wants to get married.
(c) She is in love with Clym.
(d) She knows she will never find another man.
13. Why does Eustacia worry about Clym falling in love with Thomasin?
(a) She is kind.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) They live in the same house.
14. Why is little Johnny afraid of Diggory Venn?
(a) He has a secret he is not sure if he should tell.
(b) He is mean and loves to pick on little boys.
(c) Johnny thinks him to be an apparition.
(d) Johnny stole something from Diggory Venn.
15. How does Clym's mother react when he tells her about his plans?
(a) She is very excited.
(b) She is stunned and agitated.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She is pleasantly surprised.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a reddleman?
2. How does Clym perceive her?
3. Where does Christian stop on the way to the wedding?
4. How is the location introduced?
5. What does Clym do one night while he and Eustacia are watching an eclipse?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)