|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Diggory Venn tell Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) All that he has heard and that his offer of marriage still stands.
(b) He tells her nothing.
(c) Some of what he has heard.
(d) He tells her he no longer wants to marry Thomasin.
2. What does Mrs. Yeobright keep from Thomasin?
(a) She is allowing Damon to marry Thomasin for her money.
(b) The suitor is Diggory.
(c) Wildeve has proposed to Eustacia.
(d) Thomasin will be marrying Venn in two days.
3. What is furze cutting?
(a) Cutting a rough, grassy shrub.
(b) Trimming the tops of fir trees.
(c) Skipping school or class.
(d) Cutting sheep's wool.
4. What does Mrs. Yeobright reveal to Thomasin?
(a) Wildeve is in love with Eustacia.
(b) Wildeve wants to marry her for her money.
(c) Diggory Venn wants to marry her.
(d) She has mentioned to Wildeve that there is another suitor.
5. What does hearing Clym's voice do to Eustacia?
(a) It make her anxious and nervous to meet Clym.
(b) It makes her doubt her love for him.
(c) It sets her off in a state of excitement based on her fantasy of him.
(d) It annoys her and makes her realize she loves Damon.
6. What does Mrs. Yeobright refuse to do?
(a) Attend Clym and Eustacia's wedding.
(b) Allow Clym to move out of her home.
(c) Accept that Thomasin will be attending the wedding.
(d) Allow Clym to marry.
7. Why is this expected of him?
(a) Everyone settles down at Egdon Heath.
(b) His mother wants grandchildren.
(c) He is not intelligent.
(d) His physical beauty and many advantages in life.
8. About what does Eustacia have reservations?
(a) Moving to Paris.
(b) Living in a small cottage.
(c) Marrying Clym.
(d) Leaving her home.
9. What is noticed on the highest point of the heath?
(a) A lone pine tree.
(b) A lone female figure.
(c) A small cottage.
(d) A wolf.
10. What are Humphrey and Sam?
11. Why does Eustacia want to be in the play?
(a) She wants to be the center of attention.
(b) She loves to act.
(c) So she may see Clym.
(d) It is her favorite play.
12. What does Thomasin do upon hearing of this difficulty?
(a) She celebrates.
(b) She becomes very agitated and runs away.
(c) She shrugs and walks home.
(d) She fights with Damon.
13. Who is Christian Cantle?
(a) Thomasin's cousin.
(b) The pastor.
(c) A groomsman at the wedding.
(d) A rather dim boy.
14. What is a mummery?
(a) A traditional play performed around Christmas time.
(b) A room to sit in quietly and contemplate.
(c) A female mummy.
(d) A place where nuns live.
15. How does Clym's mother react when he tells her about his plans?
(a) She is pleasantly surprised.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is very excited.
(d) She is stunned and agitated.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "article" Wildeve comes to collect from Mrs. Yeobright?
2. Why is little Johnny afraid of Diggory Venn?
3. At what will a group of local boys perform a play?
4. Why does the marriage not take place?
5. Why is Clym deeply resolved to do something significant on his own terms?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)