|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Damon irritated?
(a) He is annoyed with Christian.
(b) He wants to marry Eustacia.
(c) Mrs. Yeobright does not trust him with Thomasin's money.
(d) He wants to stop the wedding.
2. How do Clym and Eustacia meet face-to-face?
(a) Eustacia falls off the stage onto Clym's lap.
(b) Clym is in the play.
(c) Clym recognizes her and pulls her off the stage.
(d) They both decide to step outside for some air after the play.
3. What tale does Clym learn while visiting a friend?
(a) Thomasin has married Damon.
(b) Thomasin has taken his money.
(c) Thomasin is secretly in love with Diggory.
(d) His cousin, Thomasin, is jilted on her wedding day.
4. What do others do when they recognize it is Eustacia?
(a) They do not give away her secret.
(b) They call for the director.
(c) They tell the audience.
(d) They pull her off the stage.
5. How is the location introduced?
(a) As almost a character itself.
(b) As a beautiful tourist hideaway.
(c) Very vaguely.
(d) As a small village in Italy.
6. What is the "article" Wildeve comes to collect from Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) Her jewelry.
(b) Baby clothes.
(c) Thomasin's inheritance.
(d) Her clothing.
7. What is furze cutting?
(a) Skipping school or class.
(b) Trimming the tops of fir trees.
(c) Cutting sheep's wool.
(d) Cutting a rough, grassy shrub.
8. Why is Eustacia at the wedding?
(a) Supposedly by coincidence.
(b) To serve as a witness.
(c) She tries to stop the wedding.
(d) She is Thomasin's maid of honor.
9. Why does Clym want to meet Eustacia?
(a) He has loved her since grade school.
(b) He is intrigued by the mention of her beauty.
(c) He is angry with her about her treatment of Thomasin.
(d) She seems unique.
10. What has happened to the reddleman's skin and clothing?
(a) It smells of leather and polish.
(b) It is covered in gun powder.
(c) It is covered in wood shavings.
(d) It has all taken on the same color.
11. Who is Christian Cantle?
(a) The pastor.
(b) Thomasin's cousin.
(c) A groomsman at the wedding.
(d) A rather dim boy.
12. Why does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to tell Clym what has taken place?
(a) Thomasin does not want Clym to ever know.
(b) Thomasin wants to talk to Clym herself.
(c) Thomasin wants Damon to speak with Clym.
(d) Thomasin wants to marry Clym.
13. How are Eustacia's fantasies fueled?
(a) The two furze-cutters think Clym and Eustacia seem to be two of a kind.
(b) The furze-cutters tell her she is is attractive.
(c) Clym says he thinks she is beautiful.
(d) The furze-cutters tell her she would make a good furze-cutter.
14. What does Mrs. Yeobright tell Wildeve?
(a) He will not be marrying Thomasin.
(b) He has competition for Thomasin's hand.
(c) Diggory will marry Thomasin.
(d) To marry Thomasin quickly.
15. Describe Damon and Thomasin's wedding.
(a) The smallest of ceremonies with no attendant.
(b) A small ceremony performed at home.
(c) A large ceremony with many brides maids.
(d) A traditional ceremony with the town in attendance.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Wildeve's passions for Eustacia renewed?
2. Why does Wildeve say he cannot attend Eustacia's wedding?
3. What is Wildeve's supposed oversight?
4. Why does Christian leave the inn in despair?
5. Where is Mrs. Yeobright when she hears the news about Clym and Eustacia?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)