|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Yeobright keep from Thomasin?
(a) She is allowing Damon to marry Thomasin for her money.
(b) The suitor is Diggory.
(c) Wildeve has proposed to Eustacia.
(d) Thomasin will be marrying Venn in two days.
2. How are Eustacia's fantasies fueled?
(a) The furze-cutters tell her she is is attractive.
(b) The two furze-cutters think Clym and Eustacia seem to be two of a kind.
(c) Clym says he thinks she is beautiful.
(d) The furze-cutters tell her she would make a good furze-cutter.
3. What does Clym suggest to Eustacia after his argument with Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) They wait a couple of years to marry.
(b) They get married right away.
(c) They end the engagement.
(d) They elope.
4. How is the location introduced?
(a) As a beautiful tourist hideaway.
(b) Very vaguely.
(c) As a small village in Italy.
(d) As almost a character itself.
5. Why is Eustacia at the wedding?
(a) She tries to stop the wedding.
(b) To serve as a witness.
(c) Supposedly by coincidence.
(d) She is Thomasin's maid of honor.
6. Where is Mrs. Yeobright when she hears the news about Clym and Eustacia?
(a) At home.
(b) At Olly's home.
(c) The inn.
(d) In the garden.
7. Why is Damon irritated?
(a) He wants to marry Eustacia.
(b) He is annoyed with Christian.
(c) Mrs. Yeobright does not trust him with Thomasin's money.
(d) He wants to stop the wedding.
8. What is Wildeve's supposed oversight?
(a) The different location of the marriage license.
(b) The lack of Mrs. Yeobright's approval.
(c) The loss of the rings for the marriage.
(d) The new priest performing the ceremony.
9. Why does Eustacia want to be in the play?
(a) So she may see Clym.
(b) She wants to be the center of attention.
(c) She loves to act.
(d) It is her favorite play.
10. Why is Damon able to take advantage of Christian?
(a) Christian is encouraged by his good luck.
(b) Christian has poor luck.
(c) Damon is very intelligent.
(d) Christian is nervous.
11. What does Eustacia convince a local boy to do?
(a) Sit by her at the play.
(b) Hold her hand.
(c) Tell Clym she is available.
(d) Lend her his disguise.
12. Describe Damon and Thomasin's wedding.
(a) The smallest of ceremonies with no attendant.
(b) A traditional ceremony with the town in attendance.
(c) A large ceremony with many brides maids.
(d) A small ceremony performed at home.
13. What does Mrs. Yeobright reveal to Thomasin?
(a) Diggory Venn wants to marry her.
(b) Wildeve wants to marry her for her money.
(c) Wildeve is in love with Eustacia.
(d) She has mentioned to Wildeve that there is another suitor.
14. What is a mummery?
(a) A room to sit in quietly and contemplate.
(b) A place where nuns live.
(c) A female mummy.
(d) A traditional play performed around Christmas time.
15. Who is supervising the furze cutters' work?
(a) Captain Vye.
(b) Diggory Venn.
(c) Eustacia Vye.
(d) Damon Wildeve.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Eustacia and Wildeve argue?
2. Why does the marriage not take place?
3. How does Mrs. Yeobright feel about Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
4. What do Sam and Humphrey say about Clym?
5. What is the "article" Wildeve comes to collect from Mrs. Yeobright?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)