|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what does Eustacia have reservations?
(a) Moving to Paris.
(b) Living in a small cottage.
(c) Marrying Clym.
(d) Leaving her home.
2. Why is Eustacia at the wedding?
(a) She is Thomasin's maid of honor.
(b) She tries to stop the wedding.
(c) Supposedly by coincidence.
(d) To serve as a witness.
3. Why is Diggory disappointed?
(a) He and Damon race to Thomasin, and Damon arrives first and has already secured her hand.
(b) Mrs. Yeobright is preventing him from marrying Thomasin.
(c) Damon will not marry Thomasin.
(d) Thomasin still does not love him.
4. What is noticed on the highest point of the heath?
(a) A lone female figure.
(b) A lone pine tree.
(c) A small cottage.
(d) A wolf.
5. What does Eustacia admit about her love for Wildeve?
(a) She does not love him at all.
(b) It is very strong.
(c) It does not run deep.
(d) She will love him forever.
6. What happens when Eustacia's parents die when she is a little girl?
(a) She is left in the care of her grandfather.
(b) She is left to raise herself.
(c) She is left in an orphanage.
(d) She is left in the care of the Yeobrights.
7. Why do Eustacia and Wildeve argue?
(a) Eustacia wants Wildeve to confess that he loves her more than his fiancee.
(b) They both want to purchase the same home.
(c) They have been enemies their entire lives.
(d) Wildeve wants Eustacia to confess her love for him.
8. Why does Mrs. Yeobright say Clym is no longer allowed in her house?
(a) He has lied to her.
(b) He is stealing from her.
(c) He and Eustacia are getting married.
(d) He is not returning to Paris.
9. What does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to mention to Clym?
(a) Her uncertain marriage to Wildeve.
(b) How much she misses him.
(c) Her move to Paris.
(d) Her lost inheritance.
10. How does Clym's mother react when he tells her about his plans?
(a) She is angry.
(b) She is stunned and agitated.
(c) She is very excited.
(d) She is pleasantly surprised.
11. How is the location introduced?
(a) Very vaguely.
(b) As a beautiful tourist hideaway.
(c) As almost a character itself.
(d) As a small village in Italy.
12. Why does Eustacia want to be in the play?
(a) So she may see Clym.
(b) She loves to act.
(c) She wants to be the center of attention.
(d) It is her favorite play.
13. What has happened to the reddleman's skin and clothing?
(a) It is covered in wood shavings.
(b) It smells of leather and polish.
(c) It has all taken on the same color.
(d) It is covered in gun powder.
14. For what does the boy ask in exchange?
(a) Fifty guineas.
(b) A chance to hold Eustacia's hand for a few minutes.
(c) Clym's autograph.
(d) A kiss.
15. How do Clym and Eustacia meet face-to-face?
(a) They both decide to step outside for some air after the play.
(b) Eustacia falls off the stage onto Clym's lap.
(c) Clym is in the play.
(d) Clym recognizes her and pulls her off the stage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is furze cutting?
2. Why does Eustacia accept Clym's marriage proposal?
3. What does Diggory Venn tell Mrs. Yeobright?
4. Why does Eustacia temporarily lose interest in Wildeve?
5. For what is Christian gambling?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)