|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Christian leave the inn in despair?
(a) He is lost.
(b) He is late to the wedding.
(c) Damon wins the money.
(d) He has lost the money in the creek.
2. Why does Eustacia temporarily lose interest in Wildeve?
(a) She views him as someone else's second best.
(b) He is in love with Thomasin.
(c) He is unattractive.
(d) He is not leaving the heath.
3. Why is Eustacia at the wedding?
(a) She tries to stop the wedding.
(b) She is Thomasin's maid of honor.
(c) Supposedly by coincidence.
(d) To serve as a witness.
4. What tale does Clym learn while visiting a friend?
(a) Thomasin is secretly in love with Diggory.
(b) His cousin, Thomasin, is jilted on her wedding day.
(c) Thomasin has married Damon.
(d) Thomasin has taken his money.
5. What is noticed on the highest point of the heath?
(a) A lone pine tree.
(b) A small cottage.
(c) A wolf.
(d) A lone female figure.
6. What do others do when they recognize it is Eustacia?
(a) They pull her off the stage.
(b) They tell the audience.
(c) They call for the director.
(d) They do not give away her secret.
7. What is a group of people doing?
(a) Sleeping on small cots.
(b) Singing folk tunes and dancing.
(c) Mourning the death of the Captain.
(d) Reading traditional books.
8. Why does Venn vow to protect Thomasin's reputation?
(a) He is a kind man.
(b) He is in love with her.
(c) He considers her a friend.
(d) He is embarrassed for her.
9. What is furze cutting?
(a) Cutting sheep's wool.
(b) Skipping school or class.
(c) Trimming the tops of fir trees.
(d) Cutting a rough, grassy shrub.
10. Why is Damon irritated?
(a) He is annoyed with Christian.
(b) Mrs. Yeobright does not trust him with Thomasin's money.
(c) He wants to marry Eustacia.
(d) He wants to stop the wedding.
11. For what does the boy ask in exchange?
(a) A chance to hold Eustacia's hand for a few minutes.
(b) A kiss.
(c) Fifty guineas.
(d) Clym's autograph.
12. What is Wildeve's supposed oversight?
(a) The new priest performing the ceremony.
(b) The different location of the marriage license.
(c) The loss of the rings for the marriage.
(d) The lack of Mrs. Yeobright's approval.
13. What does Mrs. Yeobright tell Olly Dowden as they walk?
(a) She is not sure when Clym will return.
(b) She still does not approve of the marriage.
(c) She is buying a new home.
(d) She changed her mind about her resistance to the marriage and gave her consent.
14. About what is Mrs. Yeobright concerned?
(a) Her niece is marrying a man she does not know.
(b) Her niece is in love with her cousin.
(c) Her niece will be moving to Paris.
(d) That the event will result in embarrassment for Thomasin and the whole family.
15. What is Eustacia doing?
(a) Packing for a move to Paris.
(b) Visiting her uncle.
(c) Plowing the field.
(d) Looking through a telescope in the direction of the inn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "The Return of the Native" take place?
2. How are Eustacia's fantasies fueled?
3. How does Clym perceive her?
4. Where is Mrs. Yeobright when she hears the news about Clym and Eustacia?
5. Why does Damon say he is confused?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)