|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Thomasin having a difficult time?
(a) She does not like Eustacia.
(b) Her husband will not give her any spending money.
(c) She does not love her husband.
(d) She worries about Clym.
2. How does Mrs. Yeobright feel about Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
(a) She does not approve.
(b) She wonders about Clym's motives.
(c) She is very happy for them.
(d) She is unsure about Eustacia.
3. At what will a group of local boys perform a play?
(a) Mrs. Yeobright's Christmas party.
(c) A celebration in the town hall.
4. Why does Clym want to meet Eustacia?
(a) He has loved her since grade school.
(b) He is intrigued by the mention of her beauty.
(c) He is angry with her about her treatment of Thomasin.
(d) She seems unique.
5. What is Eustacia doing?
(a) Plowing the field.
(b) Visiting her uncle.
(c) Looking through a telescope in the direction of the inn.
(d) Packing for a move to Paris.
6. What does Thomasin do upon hearing of this difficulty?
(a) She celebrates.
(b) She becomes very agitated and runs away.
(c) She shrugs and walks home.
(d) She fights with Damon.
7. Why is little Johnny afraid of Diggory Venn?
(a) Johnny stole something from Diggory Venn.
(b) He is mean and loves to pick on little boys.
(c) Johnny thinks him to be an apparition.
(d) He has a secret he is not sure if he should tell.
8. How do Clym and Eustacia meet face-to-face?
(a) They both decide to step outside for some air after the play.
(b) Clym recognizes her and pulls her off the stage.
(c) Clym is in the play.
(d) Eustacia falls off the stage onto Clym's lap.
9. What are the contents of the letter Eustacia has Diggory deliver to Damon?
(a) She hates Damon and hopes he marries Thomasin.
(b) She is no longer willing to continue their secret meetings.
(c) She wants to marry him.
(d) She hopes that even when he is married, he will secretly meet her.
10. What does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to mention to Clym?
(a) Her lost inheritance.
(b) How much she misses him.
(c) Her move to Paris.
(d) Her uncertain marriage to Wildeve.
11. Why does Thomasin marry Damon while her cousin is away?
(a) She knows her cousin does not approve of Damon.
(b) She wishes to preserve the dignity of her family at all costs.
(c) She loves Damon and wants to marry him as soon as possible.
(d) She steals her cousin's money to pay for the wedding.
12. How is the location introduced?
(a) As almost a character itself.
(b) As a beautiful tourist hideaway.
(c) As a small village in Italy.
(d) Very vaguely.
13. What are Humphrey and Sam?
14. What does Eustacia convince a local boy to do?
(a) Hold her hand.
(b) Tell Clym she is available.
(c) Lend her his disguise.
(d) Sit by her at the play.
15. Why is Damon able to take advantage of Christian?
(a) Christian is encouraged by his good luck.
(b) Christian is nervous.
(c) Christian has poor luck.
(d) Damon is very intelligent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Eustacia want to be in the play?
2. What do Sam and Humphrey say about Clym?
3. About what is Mrs. Yeobright concerned?
4. What does the gossiping group mention?
5. Why does Clym spend many hours reading?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)