|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Venn encourage Eustacia to do?
(a) Urge Wildeve to follow through with his marriage promise.
(b) Run away to Paris.
(c) Marry Wildeve.
(d) Tell Thomasin how awful Wildeve is.
2. What is a group of people doing?
(a) Mourning the death of the Captain.
(b) Reading traditional books.
(c) Singing folk tunes and dancing.
(d) Sleeping on small cots.
3. What are the contents of the letter Eustacia has Diggory deliver to Damon?
(a) She hopes that even when he is married, he will secretly meet her.
(b) She wants to marry him.
(c) She hates Damon and hopes he marries Thomasin.
(d) She is no longer willing to continue their secret meetings.
4. Why does Eustacia worry about Clym falling in love with Thomasin?
(a) They are cousins.
(b) They live in the same house.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) She is kind.
5. Why is Eustacia at the wedding?
(a) Supposedly by coincidence.
(b) She is Thomasin's maid of honor.
(c) To serve as a witness.
(d) She tries to stop the wedding.
6. What is noticed on the highest point of the heath?
(a) A small cottage.
(b) A wolf.
(c) A lone pine tree.
(d) A lone female figure.
7. What does Mrs. Yeobright tell Olly Dowden as they walk?
(a) She is not sure when Clym will return.
(b) She changed her mind about her resistance to the marriage and gave her consent.
(c) She still does not approve of the marriage.
(d) She is buying a new home.
8. What do Sam and Humphrey say about Clym?
(a) He is rude, unkind, and egotistical.
(b) He is the best furze-cutter they know.
(c) They hope he will stay in the heath for awhile and teach them French.
(d) They mention his work, his ability to speak French, and the glamorous life he leads in Paris.
9. What does Mrs. Yeobright refuse to do?
(a) Allow Clym to move out of her home.
(b) Attend Clym and Eustacia's wedding.
(c) Allow Clym to marry.
(d) Accept that Thomasin will be attending the wedding.
10. What does Eustacia convince a local boy to do?
(a) Lend her his disguise.
(b) Sit by her at the play.
(c) Hold her hand.
(d) Tell Clym she is available.
11. Why does Eustacia temporarily lose interest in Wildeve?
(a) She views him as someone else's second best.
(b) He is in love with Thomasin.
(c) He is unattractive.
(d) He is not leaving the heath.
12. What is Eustacia doing?
(a) Packing for a move to Paris.
(b) Looking through a telescope in the direction of the inn.
(c) Visiting her uncle.
(d) Plowing the field.
13. Why does Clym want to meet Eustacia?
(a) He has loved her since grade school.
(b) She seems unique.
(c) He is angry with her about her treatment of Thomasin.
(d) He is intrigued by the mention of her beauty.
14. What does Diggory Venn tell Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) He tells her he no longer wants to marry Thomasin.
(b) Some of what he has heard.
(c) He tells her nothing.
(d) All that he has heard and that his offer of marriage still stands.
15. Why do Eustacia and Wildeve argue?
(a) Wildeve wants Eustacia to confess her love for him.
(b) Eustacia wants Wildeve to confess that he loves her more than his fiancee.
(c) They have been enemies their entire lives.
(d) They both want to purchase the same home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rainbarrow?
2. What has happened to the reddleman's skin and clothing?
3. Who is supervising the furze cutters' work?
4. What is furze cutting?
5. About what is Mrs. Yeobright concerned?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)