|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eustacia worry about Clym falling in love with Thomasin?
(a) She is kind.
(b) They are cousins.
(c) She is beautiful.
(d) They live in the same house.
2. What has Susan Nonsuch done to Eustacia?
(a) Shot her in the side.
(b) Blackmailed her.
(c) Stabbed her in the side with a needle.
(d) Burned her home down.
3. Where does Christian stop on the way to the wedding?
(a) His home.
(b) The woods.
(c) The inn.
4. What does Eustacia notice about Clym?
(a) He is not as attractive as she remembered.
(b) He is handsome, but something about him is not entirely at ease.
(c) He is noticing her.
(d) He is smiling and energetic.
5. What does Diggory Venn tell Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) All that he has heard and that his offer of marriage still stands.
(b) He tells her nothing.
(c) Some of what he has heard.
(d) He tells her he no longer wants to marry Thomasin.
6. What is Eustacia doing?
(a) Plowing the field.
(b) Packing for a move to Paris.
(c) Looking through a telescope in the direction of the inn.
(d) Visiting her uncle.
7. What does Mrs. Yeobright give Christian?
(a) A letter stating she approves of the marriage.
(b) A note for Clym.
(c) Thomasin's inheritance and fifty guineas for Clym.
(d) An apology letter for Eustacia.
8. How does Clym perceive her?
(a) As a beautiful goddess.
(b) As a nuisance.
(c) As a woman he used to know.
(d) As a woman disguised as a man.
9. About what is Mrs. Yeobright concerned?
(a) Her niece is in love with her cousin.
(b) That the event will result in embarrassment for Thomasin and the whole family.
(c) Her niece will be moving to Paris.
(d) Her niece is marrying a man she does not know.
10. Why is Thomasin having a difficult time?
(a) She does not like Eustacia.
(b) She worries about Clym.
(c) She does not love her husband.
(d) Her husband will not give her any spending money.
11. Why does Mrs. Yeobright say Clym is no longer allowed in her house?
(a) He is stealing from her.
(b) He has lied to her.
(c) He and Eustacia are getting married.
(d) He is not returning to Paris.
12. What is Rainbarrow?
(a) The name of the inn.
(b) The town.
(c) Thomasin's last name.
(d) The highest point in the heath.
13. Who is Christian Cantle?
(a) A groomsman at the wedding.
(b) A rather dim boy.
(c) Thomasin's cousin.
(d) The pastor.
14. What are the contents of the letter Eustacia has Diggory deliver to Damon?
(a) She hates Damon and hopes he marries Thomasin.
(b) She hopes that even when he is married, he will secretly meet her.
(c) She is no longer willing to continue their secret meetings.
(d) She wants to marry him.
15. Why is Damon able to take advantage of Christian?
(a) Christian is nervous.
(b) Christian has poor luck.
(c) Damon is very intelligent.
(d) Christian is encouraged by his good luck.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people do on this day, according to local folklore?
2. What does Mrs. Yeobright reveal to Thomasin?
3. Where is Mrs. Yeobright when she hears the news about Clym and Eustacia?
4. What is noticed on the highest point of the heath?
5. Why does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to tell Clym what has taken place?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)