|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. About what is Mrs. Yeobright concerned?
(a) Her niece will be moving to Paris.
(b) Her niece is in love with her cousin.
(c) That the event will result in embarrassment for Thomasin and the whole family.
(d) Her niece is marrying a man she does not know.
2. How does Thomasin act kindly toward Venn?
(a) She tutors him while they in school and stands up for him when he is teased.
(b) She visits frequently and brings fresh biscuits and jam.
(c) She accepts his marriage proposal, although she does not love him.
(d) She turns down his marriage proposal in a kind letter, trying not to hurt his feelings.
3. What are the contents of the letter Eustacia has Diggory deliver to Damon?
(a) She hopes that even when he is married, he will secretly meet her.
(b) She is no longer willing to continue their secret meetings.
(c) She wants to marry him.
(d) She hates Damon and hopes he marries Thomasin.
4. What does Clym suggest to Eustacia after his argument with Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) They end the engagement.
(b) They get married right away.
(c) They elope.
(d) They wait a couple of years to marry.
5. What is a reddleman?
(a) A man who makes revolvers.
(b) A saddle maker.
(c) A man who sells red dye to farmers.
(d) A boat maker.
6. Where does "The Return of the Native" take place?
(d) Edgon Heath.
7. What has Susan Nonsuch done to Eustacia?
(a) Blackmailed her.
(b) Burned her home down.
(c) Stabbed her in the side with a needle.
(d) Shot her in the side.
8. What is the "article" Wildeve comes to collect from Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) Her jewelry.
(b) Thomasin's inheritance.
(c) Her clothing.
(d) Baby clothes.
9. How does Clym's mother react when he tells her about his plans?
(a) She is stunned and agitated.
(b) She is very excited.
(c) She is pleasantly surprised.
(d) She is angry.
10. Why does Eustacia want to be in the play?
(a) So she may see Clym.
(b) She wants to be the center of attention.
(c) She loves to act.
(d) It is her favorite play.
11. Why does Eustacia accept Clym's marriage proposal?
(a) She knows she will never find another man.
(b) She wants to get married.
(c) She is sure Clym will take her to Paris.
(d) She is in love with Clym.
12. Describe Damon and Thomasin's wedding.
(a) A large ceremony with many brides maids.
(b) A small ceremony performed at home.
(c) The smallest of ceremonies with no attendant.
(d) A traditional ceremony with the town in attendance.
13. Why are Wildeve's passions for Eustacia renewed?
(a) She has grown more beautiful.
(b) She belongs to another.
(c) He no longer loves Thomasin.
(d) She agrees to meet with him secretly.
14. What does Eustacia convince a local boy to do?
(a) Lend her his disguise.
(b) Sit by her at the play.
(c) Hold her hand.
(d) Tell Clym she is available.
15. What does Mrs. Yeobright tell Thomasin she will give her?
(a) A new home.
(b) A carriage.
(c) Her inheritance money.
(d) A job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Christian leave the inn in despair?
2. What does hearing Clym's voice do to Eustacia?
3. Why does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to tell Clym what has taken place?
4. Why does Mrs. Yeobright say Clym is no longer allowed in her house?
5. What does Mrs. Yeobright reveal to Thomasin?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)