Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is this expected of him?
(a) He is not intelligent.
(b) Everyone settles down at Egdon Heath.
(c) His physical beauty and many advantages in life.
(d) His mother wants grandchildren.
2. What is Wildeve's supposed oversight?
(a) The different location of the marriage license.
(b) The new priest performing the ceremony.
(c) The lack of Mrs. Yeobright's approval.
(d) The loss of the rings for the marriage.
3. Where does Christian stop on the way to the wedding?
(a) His home.
(b) The woods.
(c) The inn.
4. What does Eustacia convince a local boy to do?
(a) Tell Clym she is available.
(b) Lend her his disguise.
(c) Hold her hand.
(d) Sit by her at the play.
5. What does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to mention to Clym?
(a) How much she misses him.
(b) Her lost inheritance.
(c) Her uncertain marriage to Wildeve.
(d) Her move to Paris.
6. How does Clym's mother react when he tells her about his plans?
(a) She is stunned and agitated.
(b) She is angry.
(c) She is very excited.
(d) She is pleasantly surprised.
7. How do Clym and Eustacia meet face-to-face?
(a) They both decide to step outside for some air after the play.
(b) Clym is in the play.
(c) Clym recognizes her and pulls her off the stage.
(d) Eustacia falls off the stage onto Clym's lap.
8. Why does Eustacia want to be in the play?
(a) She loves to act.
(b) She wants to be the center of attention.
(c) It is her favorite play.
(d) So she may see Clym.
9. Why is Damon irritated?
(a) He wants to stop the wedding.
(b) Mrs. Yeobright does not trust him with Thomasin's money.
(c) He is annoyed with Christian.
(d) He wants to marry Eustacia.
10. What is a mummery?
(a) A place where nuns live.
(b) A female mummy.
(c) A traditional play performed around Christmas time.
(d) A room to sit in quietly and contemplate.
11. Describe Damon and Thomasin's wedding.
(a) A small ceremony performed at home.
(b) A large ceremony with many brides maids.
(c) The smallest of ceremonies with no attendant.
(d) A traditional ceremony with the town in attendance.
12. Why is Clym deeply resolved to do something significant on his own terms?
(a) He has never done anything of significance before.
(b) He loves working in Paris.
(c) He is not fully enjoying his life.
(d) His mother has always made all his decisions.
13. For what is Christian gambling?
(a) A piece of cake.
(b) A piece of cloth.
(c) His life.
(d) Ownership of the inn.
14. What does Mrs. Yeobright give Christian?
(a) A letter stating she approves of the marriage.
(b) A note for Clym.
(c) Thomasin's inheritance and fifty guineas for Clym.
(d) An apology letter for Eustacia.
15. Who is supervising the furze cutters' work?
(a) Damon Wildeve.
(b) Captain Vye.
(c) Diggory Venn.
(d) Eustacia Vye.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Christian Cantle?
2. What does Eustacia think of Edgon Heath?
3. Why does the marriage not take place?
4. Why does Eustacia temporarily lose interest in Wildeve?
5. What does Mrs. Yeobright reveal to Thomasin?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)