|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Yeobright reveal to Thomasin?
(a) Wildeve wants to marry her for her money.
(b) She has mentioned to Wildeve that there is another suitor.
(c) Diggory Venn wants to marry her.
(d) Wildeve is in love with Eustacia.
2. What tale does Clym learn while visiting a friend?
(a) Thomasin has married Damon.
(b) Thomasin is secretly in love with Diggory.
(c) Thomasin has taken his money.
(d) His cousin, Thomasin, is jilted on her wedding day.
3. Why does Eustacia accept Clym's marriage proposal?
(a) She is sure Clym will take her to Paris.
(b) She is in love with Clym.
(c) She knows she will never find another man.
(d) She wants to get married.
4. Why does Eustacia worry about Clym falling in love with Thomasin?
(a) She is beautiful.
(b) She is kind.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They live in the same house.
5. What are Humphrey and Sam?
6. Why is Clym deeply resolved to do something significant on his own terms?
(a) He is not fully enjoying his life.
(b) He has never done anything of significance before.
(c) He loves working in Paris.
(d) His mother has always made all his decisions.
7. Why is Thomasin having a difficult time?
(a) She does not love her husband.
(b) Her husband will not give her any spending money.
(c) She worries about Clym.
(d) She does not like Eustacia.
8. For what are Mrs. Yeobright and Thomasin preparing?
(a) The Christmas party.
(b) Her wedding.
(c) Clym's arrival.
9. What is the "article" Wildeve comes to collect from Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) Her clothing.
(b) Baby clothes.
(c) Thomasin's inheritance.
(d) Her jewelry.
10. What do others do when they recognize it is Eustacia?
(a) They tell the audience.
(b) They do not give away her secret.
(c) They call for the director.
(d) They pull her off the stage.
11. How is the location introduced?
(a) Very vaguely.
(b) As a beautiful tourist hideaway.
(c) As a small village in Italy.
(d) As almost a character itself.
12. What do Sam and Humphrey say about Clym?
(a) They mention his work, his ability to speak French, and the glamorous life he leads in Paris.
(b) They hope he will stay in the heath for awhile and teach them French.
(c) He is rude, unkind, and egotistical.
(d) He is the best furze-cutter they know.
13. Where does Christian stop on the way to the wedding?
(a) His home.
(b) The woods.
(d) The inn.
14. Why does Mrs. Yeobright say Clym is no longer allowed in her house?
(a) He and Eustacia are getting married.
(b) He is not returning to Paris.
(c) He is stealing from her.
(d) He has lied to her.
15. What does Mrs. Yeobright tell Thomasin she will give her?
(a) A new home.
(b) A job.
(c) A carriage.
(d) Her inheritance money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the contents of the letter Eustacia has Diggory deliver to Damon?
2. What does Mrs. Yeobright give Christian?
3. What is to have taken place that day?
4. Why does Thomasin marry Damon while her cousin is away?
5. What does Thomasin do upon hearing of this difficulty?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)