|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tale does Clym learn while visiting a friend?
(a) Thomasin has taken his money.
(b) Thomasin is secretly in love with Diggory.
(c) Thomasin has married Damon.
(d) His cousin, Thomasin, is jilted on her wedding day.
2. Why is this expected of him?
(a) Everyone settles down at Egdon Heath.
(b) His mother wants grandchildren.
(c) He is not intelligent.
(d) His physical beauty and many advantages in life.
3. Why is Eustacia at the wedding?
(a) She tries to stop the wedding.
(b) Supposedly by coincidence.
(c) To serve as a witness.
(d) She is Thomasin's maid of honor.
4. Why does Mrs. Yeobright say Clym is no longer allowed in her house?
(a) He and Eustacia are getting married.
(b) He has lied to her.
(c) He is stealing from her.
(d) He is not returning to Paris.
5. Why does Clym want to meet Eustacia?
(a) He is intrigued by the mention of her beauty.
(b) He is angry with her about her treatment of Thomasin.
(c) She seems unique.
(d) He has loved her since grade school.
6. What are Humphrey and Sam?
7. What is to have taken place that day?
(a) An induction ceremony.
(b) A funeral.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A swimning event.
8. Why does the marriage not take place?
(a) Thomasin decides she does not want to marry Damon.
(b) They get lost on the way to the chapel.
(c) There is a difficulty with the marriage license.
(d) Mrs. Yeobright does not allow Thomasin to marry.
9. Why is Damon irritated?
(a) He wants to marry Eustacia.
(b) Mrs. Yeobright does not trust him with Thomasin's money.
(c) He is annoyed with Christian.
(d) He wants to stop the wedding.
10. What has Susan Nonsuch done to Eustacia?
(a) Shot her in the side.
(b) Blackmailed her.
(c) Burned her home down.
(d) Stabbed her in the side with a needle.
11. What does Thomasin do upon hearing of this difficulty?
(a) She celebrates.
(b) She becomes very agitated and runs away.
(c) She fights with Damon.
(d) She shrugs and walks home.
12. What is Rainbarrow?
(a) The town.
(b) The highest point in the heath.
(c) Thomasin's last name.
(d) The name of the inn.
13. Describe Damon and Thomasin's wedding.
(a) A small ceremony performed at home.
(b) A traditional ceremony with the town in attendance.
(c) The smallest of ceremonies with no attendant.
(d) A large ceremony with many brides maids.
14. What is expected of Clym?
(a) Not much.
(b) Great things.
(c) To be a family man.
(d) To settle at Egdon Heath.
15. What does Clym do one night while he and Eustacia are watching an eclipse?
(a) He breaks up with her.
(b) He proposes to her.
(c) He tells her he is in love with Thomasin.
(d) He tells her he is not returning to Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Sam and Humphrey say about Clym?
2. What are the contents of the letter Eustacia has Diggory deliver to Damon?
3. Why does Eustacia worry about Clym falling in love with Thomasin?
4. Why does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to tell Clym what has taken place?
5. What is the object of Eustacia's obsession?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)