|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Christian leave the inn in despair?
(a) He is late to the wedding.
(b) He has lost the money in the creek.
(c) He is lost.
(d) Damon wins the money.
2. For what are Mrs. Yeobright and Thomasin preparing?
(b) Clym's arrival.
(c) The Christmas party.
(d) Her wedding.
3. What is furze cutting?
(a) Trimming the tops of fir trees.
(b) Cutting sheep's wool.
(c) Skipping school or class.
(d) Cutting a rough, grassy shrub.
4. What does Eustacia admit about her love for Wildeve?
(a) She will love him forever.
(b) It does not run deep.
(c) She does not love him at all.
(d) It is very strong.
5. Where does "The Return of the Native" take place?
(b) Edgon Heath.
6. What are Humphrey and Sam?
7. Why is this expected of him?
(a) His mother wants grandchildren.
(b) He is not intelligent.
(c) Everyone settles down at Egdon Heath.
(d) His physical beauty and many advantages in life.
8. Why does the marriage not take place?
(a) They get lost on the way to the chapel.
(b) Mrs. Yeobright does not allow Thomasin to marry.
(c) Thomasin decides she does not want to marry Damon.
(d) There is a difficulty with the marriage license.
9. Why is Clym deeply resolved to do something significant on his own terms?
(a) His mother has always made all his decisions.
(b) He loves working in Paris.
(c) He is not fully enjoying his life.
(d) He has never done anything of significance before.
10. What do some of the locals notice about Clym?
(a) He seems unhappy.
(b) He misses Paris.
(c) He has spent more time than usual visiting.
(d) He wants to marry.
11. Who is Christian Cantle?
(a) Thomasin's cousin.
(b) The pastor.
(c) A rather dim boy.
(d) A groomsman at the wedding.
12. What are the contents of the letter Eustacia has Diggory deliver to Damon?
(a) She is no longer willing to continue their secret meetings.
(b) She hates Damon and hopes he marries Thomasin.
(c) She hopes that even when he is married, he will secretly meet her.
(d) She wants to marry him.
13. What does Mrs. Yeobright keep from Thomasin?
(a) She is allowing Damon to marry Thomasin for her money.
(b) Wildeve has proposed to Eustacia.
(c) Thomasin will be marrying Venn in two days.
(d) The suitor is Diggory.
14. What does Eustacia notice about Clym?
(a) He is noticing her.
(b) He is not as attractive as she remembered.
(c) He is handsome, but something about him is not entirely at ease.
(d) He is smiling and energetic.
15. Why do Eustacia and Wildeve argue?
(a) They both want to purchase the same home.
(b) Wildeve wants Eustacia to confess her love for him.
(c) Eustacia wants Wildeve to confess that he loves her more than his fiancee.
(d) They have been enemies their entire lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Damon able to take advantage of Christian?
2. Why is Diggory disappointed?
3. What is the object of Eustacia's obsession?
4. What has Susan Nonsuch done to Eustacia?
5. Where is Mrs. Yeobright when she hears the news about Clym and Eustacia?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)