|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Yeobright give Christian?
(a) A note for Clym.
(b) Thomasin's inheritance and fifty guineas for Clym.
(c) An apology letter for Eustacia.
(d) A letter stating she approves of the marriage.
2. What is Rainbarrow?
(a) Thomasin's last name.
(b) The name of the inn.
(c) The town.
(d) The highest point in the heath.
3. What happens when Eustacia's parents die when she is a little girl?
(a) She is left to raise herself.
(b) She is left in an orphanage.
(c) She is left in the care of the Yeobrights.
(d) She is left in the care of her grandfather.
4. Why does Clym join the group to help get the bucket out of Eustacia's well?
(a) He wants to be helpful.
(b) He wants to meet her grandfather.
(c) He wants to see her.
(d) He wants to feel needed.
5. Why does Eustacia want to be in the play?
(a) She loves to act.
(b) She wants to be the center of attention.
(c) So she may see Clym.
(d) It is her favorite play.
6. What does Mrs. Yeobright tell Olly Dowden as they walk?
(a) She still does not approve of the marriage.
(b) She is buying a new home.
(c) She is not sure when Clym will return.
(d) She changed her mind about her resistance to the marriage and gave her consent.
7. What are Humphrey and Sam?
8. What is a mummery?
(a) A room to sit in quietly and contemplate.
(b) A place where nuns live.
(c) A female mummy.
(d) A traditional play performed around Christmas time.
9. What is expected of Clym?
(a) To settle at Egdon Heath.
(b) Not much.
(c) Great things.
(d) To be a family man.
10. Why is Damon able to take advantage of Christian?
(a) Christian is encouraged by his good luck.
(b) Christian is nervous.
(c) Christian has poor luck.
(d) Damon is very intelligent.
11. What has Susan Nonsuch done to Eustacia?
(a) Stabbed her in the side with a needle.
(b) Blackmailed her.
(c) Shot her in the side.
(d) Burned her home down.
12. What is furze cutting?
(a) Skipping school or class.
(b) Trimming the tops of fir trees.
(c) Cutting a rough, grassy shrub.
(d) Cutting sheep's wool.
13. Who is Christian Cantle?
(a) Thomasin's cousin.
(b) The pastor.
(c) A groomsman at the wedding.
(d) A rather dim boy.
14. Why does Eustacia temporarily lose interest in Wildeve?
(a) He is unattractive.
(b) He is in love with Thomasin.
(c) She views him as someone else's second best.
(d) He is not leaving the heath.
15. Who is supervising the furze cutters' work?
(a) Captain Vye.
(b) Eustacia Vye.
(c) Diggory Venn.
(d) Damon Wildeve.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do some of the locals notice about Clym?
2. Why does Clym want to meet Eustacia?
3. Why are the locals going to Thomasin's later?
4. Why does Eustacia constantly go out on walks?
5. Describe Damon and Thomasin's wedding.
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)