|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clym suggest to Eustacia after his argument with Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) They elope.
(b) They wait a couple of years to marry.
(c) They get married right away.
(d) They end the engagement.
2. What does Venn encourage Eustacia to do?
(a) Marry Wildeve.
(b) Run away to Paris.
(c) Tell Thomasin how awful Wildeve is.
(d) Urge Wildeve to follow through with his marriage promise.
3. What does Eustacia think of Edgon Heath?
(a) She does not like it.
(b) She loves it.
(c) It is home.
(d) It is cute and quaint.
4. What is a reddleman?
(a) A saddle maker.
(b) A boat maker.
(c) A man who makes revolvers.
(d) A man who sells red dye to farmers.
5. Describe Damon and Thomasin's wedding.
(a) A large ceremony with many brides maids.
(b) The smallest of ceremonies with no attendant.
(c) A traditional ceremony with the town in attendance.
(d) A small ceremony performed at home.
6. Why is Damon able to take advantage of Christian?
(a) Damon is very intelligent.
(b) Christian has poor luck.
(c) Christian is encouraged by his good luck.
(d) Christian is nervous.
7. What do people do on this day, according to local folklore?
(a) Sacrifice animals to the gods.
(b) Perform plays.
(c) Create a Maypole.
(d) Build large bonfires.
8. Who is supervising the furze cutters' work?
(a) Captain Vye.
(b) Damon Wildeve.
(c) Eustacia Vye.
(d) Diggory Venn.
9. Where does "The Return of the Native" take place?
(c) Edgon Heath.
10. What is noticed on the highest point of the heath?
(a) A lone pine tree.
(b) A lone female figure.
(c) A small cottage.
(d) A wolf.
11. What is Eustacia doing?
(a) Packing for a move to Paris.
(b) Visiting her uncle.
(c) Plowing the field.
(d) Looking through a telescope in the direction of the inn.
12. What does hearing Clym's voice do to Eustacia?
(a) It makes her doubt her love for him.
(b) It annoys her and makes her realize she loves Damon.
(c) It sets her off in a state of excitement based on her fantasy of him.
(d) It make her anxious and nervous to meet Clym.
13. Why do Eustacia and Wildeve argue?
(a) They have been enemies their entire lives.
(b) Eustacia wants Wildeve to confess that he loves her more than his fiancee.
(c) Wildeve wants Eustacia to confess her love for him.
(d) They both want to purchase the same home.
14. Where does Clym want to move when he becomes a teacher?
15. What does the gossiping group mention?
(a) The beautiful Eustacia.
(b) The beautiful white moon.
(c) The furze-cutting business.
(d) That the aunt and guardian does not approve of the union.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Yeobright say Clym is no longer allowed in her house?
2. Why does Eustacia worry about Clym falling in love with Thomasin?
3. What is furze cutting?
4. How does Mrs. Yeobright feel about Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
5. Why does the marriage not take place?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)