|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eustacia constantly go out on walks?
(a) To try to run into Clym.
(b) She hopes to run into Thomasin.
(c) She enjoys being outdoors.
(d) She loves to exercise.
2. For what does the boy ask in exchange?
(a) Fifty guineas.
(b) A kiss.
(c) A chance to hold Eustacia's hand for a few minutes.
(d) Clym's autograph.
3. What is the boy with Eustacia doing?
(a) Keeping lookout for Eustacia's lover.
(b) Learning how to cast spells.
(c) Sleeping by the fire.
(d) Keeping the fire going and listening for a frog to drop into the pond.
4. Why are the locals going to Thomasin's later?
(a) To offer a song to the newlyweds.
(b) To speak with her about her new husband.
(c) To have a party.
(d) To annoy the newlyweds.
5. What is the object of Eustacia's obsession?
6. What does Mrs. Yeobright tell Thomasin she will give her?
(a) A carriage.
(b) A new home.
(c) Her inheritance money.
(d) A job.
7. Why does Damon say he is confused?
(a) He believes Diggory is set to marry Thomasin.
(b) He has fallen down and bumped his head.
(c) He is not sure how he feels about Eustacia.
(d) He is not sure how he feels about Thomasin.
8. Why does Christian leave the inn in despair?
(a) He has lost the money in the creek.
(b) Damon wins the money.
(c) He is late to the wedding.
(d) He is lost.
9. Why does the marriage not take place?
(a) They get lost on the way to the chapel.
(b) There is a difficulty with the marriage license.
(c) Mrs. Yeobright does not allow Thomasin to marry.
(d) Thomasin decides she does not want to marry Damon.
10. What is a mummery?
(a) A place where nuns live.
(b) A room to sit in quietly and contemplate.
(c) A traditional play performed around Christmas time.
(d) A female mummy.
11. What does Mrs. Yeobright keep from Thomasin?
(a) Thomasin will be marrying Venn in two days.
(b) She is allowing Damon to marry Thomasin for her money.
(c) Wildeve has proposed to Eustacia.
(d) The suitor is Diggory.
12. Why is Thomasin having a difficult time?
(a) She does not like Eustacia.
(b) Her husband will not give her any spending money.
(c) She worries about Clym.
(d) She does not love her husband.
13. For what are Mrs. Yeobright and Thomasin preparing?
(a) The Christmas party.
(b) Her wedding.
(d) Clym's arrival.
14. How does Thomasin act kindly toward Venn?
(a) She visits frequently and brings fresh biscuits and jam.
(b) She accepts his marriage proposal, although she does not love him.
(c) She tutors him while they in school and stands up for him when he is teased.
(d) She turns down his marriage proposal in a kind letter, trying not to hurt his feelings.
15. What does hearing Clym's voice do to Eustacia?
(a) It makes her doubt her love for him.
(b) It sets her off in a state of excitement based on her fantasy of him.
(c) It annoys her and makes her realize she loves Damon.
(d) It make her anxious and nervous to meet Clym.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "The Return of the Native" take place?
2. Why does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to tell Clym what has taken place?
3. What do some of the locals notice about Clym?
4. What is furze cutting?
5. Why is Diggory disappointed?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)