|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the gossiping group mention?
(a) The beautiful white moon.
(b) The beautiful Eustacia.
(c) That the aunt and guardian does not approve of the union.
(d) The furze-cutting business.
2. What does Mrs. Yeobright keep from Thomasin?
(a) She is allowing Damon to marry Thomasin for her money.
(b) Thomasin will be marrying Venn in two days.
(c) Wildeve has proposed to Eustacia.
(d) The suitor is Diggory.
3. Why is Thomasin having a difficult time?
(a) She does not like Eustacia.
(b) She worries about Clym.
(c) She does not love her husband.
(d) Her husband will not give her any spending money.
4. How does Mrs. Yeobright feel about Clym's relationship with Eustacia?
(a) She is very happy for them.
(b) She does not approve.
(c) She wonders about Clym's motives.
(d) She is unsure about Eustacia.
5. About what does Eustacia have reservations?
(a) Moving to Paris.
(b) Living in a small cottage.
(c) Leaving her home.
(d) Marrying Clym.
6. For what is Christian gambling?
(a) A piece of cake.
(b) Ownership of the inn.
(c) A piece of cloth.
(d) His life.
7. For what are Mrs. Yeobright and Thomasin preparing?
(a) The Christmas party.
(c) Her wedding.
(d) Clym's arrival.
8. Why is Eustacia at the wedding?
(a) To serve as a witness.
(b) She is Thomasin's maid of honor.
(c) She tries to stop the wedding.
(d) Supposedly by coincidence.
9. What is Rainbarrow?
(a) Thomasin's last name.
(b) The highest point in the heath.
(c) The town.
(d) The name of the inn.
10. Who is supervising the furze cutters' work?
(a) Eustacia Vye.
(b) Captain Vye.
(c) Damon Wildeve.
(d) Diggory Venn.
11. What does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to mention to Clym?
(a) Her uncertain marriage to Wildeve.
(b) Her lost inheritance.
(c) How much she misses him.
(d) Her move to Paris.
12. What does hearing Clym's voice do to Eustacia?
(a) It sets her off in a state of excitement based on her fantasy of him.
(b) It makes her doubt her love for him.
(c) It make her anxious and nervous to meet Clym.
(d) It annoys her and makes her realize she loves Damon.
13. Why is Clym deeply resolved to do something significant on his own terms?
(a) He loves working in Paris.
(b) He is not fully enjoying his life.
(c) He has never done anything of significance before.
(d) His mother has always made all his decisions.
14. At what will a group of local boys perform a play?
(b) Mrs. Yeobright's Christmas party.
(d) A celebration in the town hall.
15. Why does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to tell Clym what has taken place?
(a) Thomasin wants Damon to speak with Clym.
(b) Thomasin does not want Clym to ever know.
(c) Thomasin wants to talk to Clym herself.
(d) Thomasin wants to marry Clym.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clym spend many hours reading?
2. What is noticed on the highest point of the heath?
3. What is expected of Clym?
4. Why does the marriage not take place?
5. Why does Eustacia want to be in the play?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)