|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rainbarrow?
(a) The name of the inn.
(b) Thomasin's last name.
(c) The town.
(d) The highest point in the heath.
2. What is the object of Eustacia's obsession?
3. Why is this expected of him?
(a) He is not intelligent.
(b) His mother wants grandchildren.
(c) Everyone settles down at Egdon Heath.
(d) His physical beauty and many advantages in life.
4. What do others do when they recognize it is Eustacia?
(a) They call for the director.
(b) They pull her off the stage.
(c) They do not give away her secret.
(d) They tell the audience.
5. Why does Eustacia temporarily lose interest in Wildeve?
(a) He is unattractive.
(b) He is in love with Thomasin.
(c) He is not leaving the heath.
(d) She views him as someone else's second best.
6. What does Eustacia notice about Clym?
(a) He is handsome, but something about him is not entirely at ease.
(b) He is noticing her.
(c) He is smiling and energetic.
(d) He is not as attractive as she remembered.
7. Why is Damon irritated?
(a) He is annoyed with Christian.
(b) He wants to stop the wedding.
(c) He wants to marry Eustacia.
(d) Mrs. Yeobright does not trust him with Thomasin's money.
8. What do Sam and Humphrey say about Clym?
(a) He is the best furze-cutter they know.
(b) They mention his work, his ability to speak French, and the glamorous life he leads in Paris.
(c) They hope he will stay in the heath for awhile and teach them French.
(d) He is rude, unkind, and egotistical.
9. Why is Clym deeply resolved to do something significant on his own terms?
(a) His mother has always made all his decisions.
(b) He is not fully enjoying his life.
(c) He has never done anything of significance before.
(d) He loves working in Paris.
10. What is the "article" Wildeve comes to collect from Mrs. Yeobright?
(a) Her jewelry.
(b) Thomasin's inheritance.
(c) Her clothing.
(d) Baby clothes.
11. What does Mrs. Yeobright refuse to do?
(a) Attend Clym and Eustacia's wedding.
(b) Allow Clym to marry.
(c) Allow Clym to move out of her home.
(d) Accept that Thomasin will be attending the wedding.
12. What is to have taken place that day?
(a) An induction ceremony.
(b) A funeral.
(c) A wedding.
(d) A swimning event.
13. What does Mrs. Yeobright reveal to Thomasin?
(a) Diggory Venn wants to marry her.
(b) Wildeve is in love with Eustacia.
(c) She has mentioned to Wildeve that there is another suitor.
(d) Wildeve wants to marry her for her money.
14. What is a reddleman?
(a) A man who sells red dye to farmers.
(b) A boat maker.
(c) A saddle maker.
(d) A man who makes revolvers.
15. Why is Thomasin having a difficult time?
(a) She does not like Eustacia.
(b) Her husband will not give her any spending money.
(c) She worries about Clym.
(d) She does not love her husband.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clym perceive her?
2. For what is Christian gambling?
3. What does Diggory Venn tell Mrs. Yeobright?
4. What does Thomasin not want Mrs. Yeobright to mention to Clym?
5. What are Humphrey and Sam?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)