|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Eustacia temporarily lose interest in Wildeve?
(a) He is not leaving the heath.
(b) She views him as someone else's second best.
(c) He is in love with Thomasin.
(d) He is unattractive.
2. What is a mummery?
(a) A female mummy.
(b) A traditional play performed around Christmas time.
(c) A place where nuns live.
(d) A room to sit in quietly and contemplate.
3. What do Sam and Humphrey say about Clym?
(a) He is rude, unkind, and egotistical.
(b) They mention his work, his ability to speak French, and the glamorous life he leads in Paris.
(c) He is the best furze-cutter they know.
(d) They hope he will stay in the heath for awhile and teach them French.
4. Why does the marriage not take place?
(a) There is a difficulty with the marriage license.
(b) They get lost on the way to the chapel.
(c) Thomasin decides she does not want to marry Damon.
(d) Mrs. Yeobright does not allow Thomasin to marry.
5. What has Susan Nonsuch done to Eustacia?
(a) Burned her home down.
(b) Blackmailed her.
(c) Shot her in the side.
(d) Stabbed her in the side with a needle.
6. What does Mrs. Yeobright tell Wildeve?
(a) Diggory will marry Thomasin.
(b) He will not be marrying Thomasin.
(c) To marry Thomasin quickly.
(d) He has competition for Thomasin's hand.
7. Where is Mrs. Yeobright when she hears the news about Clym and Eustacia?
(a) At home.
(b) In the garden.
(c) At Olly's home.
(d) The inn.
8. How do Clym and Eustacia meet face-to-face?
(a) They both decide to step outside for some air after the play.
(b) Clym recognizes her and pulls her off the stage.
(c) Eustacia falls off the stage onto Clym's lap.
(d) Clym is in the play.
9. Why does Eustacia want to be in the play?
(a) It is her favorite play.
(b) She loves to act.
(c) She wants to be the center of attention.
(d) So she may see Clym.
10. What does Mrs. Yeobright tell Thomasin she will give her?
(a) Her inheritance money.
(b) A job.
(c) A new home.
(d) A carriage.
11. Why does Clym spend many hours reading?
(a) He is still learning to read.
(b) He loves to read.
(c) He is studying to become a teacher.
(d) He has nothing better to do.
12. What does Eustacia convince a local boy to do?
(a) Tell Clym she is available.
(b) Lend her his disguise.
(c) Hold her hand.
(d) Sit by her at the play.
13. What is Wildeve's supposed oversight?
(a) The different location of the marriage license.
(b) The lack of Mrs. Yeobright's approval.
(c) The new priest performing the ceremony.
(d) The loss of the rings for the marriage.
14. Why does Christian leave the inn in despair?
(a) He has lost the money in the creek.
(b) He is late to the wedding.
(c) Damon wins the money.
(d) He is lost.
15. Why is Thomasin having a difficult time?
(a) She does not like Eustacia.
(b) She does not love her husband.
(c) She worries about Clym.
(d) Her husband will not give her any spending money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rainbarrow?
2. How are Eustacia's fantasies fueled?
3. What does Mrs. Yeobright reveal to Thomasin?
4. What is noticed on the highest point of the heath?
5. Why does Wildeve say he cannot attend Eustacia's wedding?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)