|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stevens react to Lisa's actions?
2. Why has Miss Kenton not left Darlington Hall?
3. Miss Kenton passes off those letters as __________________________.
4. Stevens adamantly denies that Lord Darlington had __________________________.
5. What does the butler tell Stevens?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of Stevens' sighting of the Giffen Silver Polish sign. What does silver polish signify for him? What did properly polished silver represent to important households? To Stevens?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Stevens' emotionally repressed behavior. Why do you think he behaves the way he does? Why does Stevens maintain a cool reserve even in his personal life? Does Stevens even have a personal life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the narrative style of writing in the book. Who is the narrator? How is his character defined through this choice of writing style?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)