|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the answer to #125 react?
2. What does Lord Darlington's godson attempt to learn from Lord Darlington at dinner?
3. What does Lord Darlington's godson try to get Stevens to admit?
4. When was Stevens' meeting with Miss Kenton?
5. Stevens remembers the visit of an ambassador from what country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stevens learns his profession from his father who was also a butler. How has the profession defined the relationship between father and son? What good has come of the mutual profession? What sadness has come from it? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the narrative style of writing in the book. Who is the narrator? How is his character defined through this choice of writing style?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of Stevens' sighting of the Giffen Silver Polish sign. What does silver polish signify for him? What did properly polished silver represent to important households? To Stevens?
This section contains 226 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)