|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lord Darlington's godson try to get Stevens to admit?
2. Who is Lord Darlington's godson?
3. What is the mood of their parting?
4. According to Stevens, Darlington Hall hosted ____________________________________.
5. Stevens remembers the visit of an ambassador from what country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the narrative style of writing in the book. Who is the narrator? How is his character defined through this choice of writing style?
Essay Topic 2
What is the action or item that has precipitated Stevens' latest endeavor? How is he affected by this action or item? How is Stevens' response so out of character for his usual rigid demeanor?
Essay Topic 3
How does Stevens justify the humiliating behavior inflicted by Lord Darlington's guests toward him? What is his view on the laws of nature? Does he truly feel that class distinction has its place even after he has been a victim of its cruelty?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)