|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the polished silver indicate about Lord Darlington's household?
2. What does Miss Kenton report upon returning to Darlington Hall that evening?
3. What changed the ambassador's demeanor?
4. What does Lisa do in less than a year at Darlington Hall?
5. How do Stevens and Miss Kenton part?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stevens defines dignity and professionalism as the two main characteristics of a good butler. What other qualities are necessary to be a good butler. What type of person could never be a good butler? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the technique of symbolism used extensively in this book. Describe some situations that can be considered symbolism. Why are they examples of symbolism? What are the benefits of using symbolism?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the unspoken attraction between Stevens and Miss Kenton. How does Miss Kenton try to get to know Stevens on a more personal level? Is she successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)