|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What topic does Stevens bring up with Miss Kenton in the summerhouse?
2. What does Lisa do in less than a year at Darlington Hall?
3. What kind of night does Stevens spend at the inn?
4. Miss Kenton passes off those letters as __________________________.
5. What is the mood of their parting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Stevens' emotionally repressed behavior. Why do you think he behaves the way he does? Why does Stevens maintain a cool reserve even in his personal life? Does Stevens even have a personal life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the narrative style of writing in the book. Who is the narrator? How is his character defined through this choice of writing style?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why the resignation of Lisa is so wounding to Miss Kenton. How did Lisa betray Miss Kenton's trust? Why does Miss Kenton think Lisa is foolish? Why is Miss Kenton secretly jealous of Lisa?
This section contains 216 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)