|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What good news does Miss Kenton have about her daughter?
2. What is Miss Kenton doing when Stevens finds her in the summerhouse?
3. What does Miss Kenton say when Stevens asks her about her letter?
4. Stevens mentions that some of Miss Kenton's letters in the past indicated that _________________________________.
5. Why does Stevens chide Miss Kenton periodically?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of Stevens' sighting of the Giffen Silver Polish sign. What does silver polish signify for him? What did properly polished silver represent to important households? To Stevens?
Essay Topic 2
How does Stevens justify the humiliating behavior inflicted by Lord Darlington's guests toward him? What is his view on the laws of nature? Does he truly feel that class distinction has its place even after he has been a victim of its cruelty?
Essay Topic 3
What is the action or item that has precipitated Stevens' latest endeavor? How is he affected by this action or item? How is Stevens' response so out of character for his usual rigid demeanor?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)