|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stevens doing in the butler's pantry when Miss Kenton enters one evening?
2. Who was Lord Darlington's girlfriend?
3. How does Stevens react to Miss Kenton's news?
4. What does Stevens recall now?
5. What does Lord Darlington's godson try to get Stevens to admit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Stevens' emotionally repressed behavior. Why do you think he behaves the way he does? Why does Stevens maintain a cool reserve even in his personal life? Does Stevens even have a personal life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the narrative style of writing in the book. Who is the narrator? How is his character defined through this choice of writing style?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the unspoken attraction between Stevens and Miss Kenton. How does Miss Kenton try to get to know Stevens on a more personal level? Is she successful? Why or why not?
This section contains 224 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)