|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nature of Miss Kenton's family?
2. What is Stevens doing in Day 6, Evening?
3. What items seem to symbolize Stevens' recollection of the past?
4. What does Stevens decide about the answer to #113?
5. What does the polished silver indicate about Lord Darlington's household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the role of a butler in a great household. How does Stevens fit in that description. Is Stevens happy with his profession? Would he have chosen it if he had had other options? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of Stevens' sighting of the Giffen Silver Polish sign. What does silver polish signify for him? What did properly polished silver represent to important households? To Stevens?
Essay Topic 3
Stevens learns his profession from his father who was also a butler. How has the profession defined the relationship between father and son? What good has come of the mutual profession? What sadness has come from it? Explain.
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)