|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can the doctor tell about Stevens by his demeanor?
2. When was Stevens' meeting with Miss Kenton?
3. What does Miss Kenton tell Stevens before she leaves for the evening?
4. What does Stevens recall when seeing the sign?
5. What is the profession of Lord Darlington's godson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Stevens' emotionally repressed behavior. Why do you think he behaves the way he does? Why does Stevens maintain a cool reserve even in his personal life? Does Stevens even have a personal life?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the symbolism of Stevens' sighting of the Giffen Silver Polish sign. What does silver polish signify for him? What did properly polished silver represent to important households? To Stevens?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the technique of foreshadowing used in this book. Describe some situations that can be considered foreshadowing. Why are they examples of foreshadowing? What are the benefits of using foreshadowing?
This section contains 230 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)