|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the maid that Miss Kenton hires despite Stevens' misgivings?
2. What did some of the dinner guests later say about Lord Darlington?
3. How does Stevens react to Miss Kenton's news?
4. What does Miss Kenton tell Stevens before she leaves for the evening?
5. The doctor had believed in ________________ until he had met the people of his town.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Stevens is an unwitting accomplice in anti-Semitic behavior. How does he react when he realizes this fact? Is his reaction in character or out of character? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what you think Stevens will do with the balance of his life. What will he do when he returns to Darlington Hall? Will he continue on as before or will he make an attempt to carve out a little life for himself, too? Can he serve himself and still serve others? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the narrative style of writing in the book. Who is the narrator? How is his character defined through this choice of writing style?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)