|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stevens tell Miss Kenton that shocks her?
2. What does Stevens not allow himself to do regarding Lord Darlington?
3. What is Miss Kenton doing when Stevens finds her in the summerhouse?
4. How does Stevens react to Miss Kenton's news?
5. What is the town where Miss Kenton lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the unspoken attraction between Stevens and Miss Kenton. How does Miss Kenton try to get to know Stevens on a more personal level? Is she successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Stevens runs out of gas, he spends the night in a small town where the people think he is some sort of dignitary. Why does Stevens not speak up and amend their views? Does Stevens want the people to think he is important? Or does he just not want to engage in any way with personal dialogue with strangers? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Stevens must have some idea of Lord Darlington's political tendencies given the nature of his guests during this period in history. How does he justify Lord Darlington's actions? Is Stevens smarter than Lord Darlington gives him credit for? Explain.
This section contains 269 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)