|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stevens recall when seeing the sign?
2. Lord Darlington had withdrawn from what group?
3. What does Lisa leave for Miss Kenton?
4. What does Stevens try to get Miss Kenton to understand?
5. What does Miss Kenton say when Stevens asks her about her letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the unspoken attraction between Stevens and Miss Kenton. How does Miss Kenton try to get to know Stevens on a more personal level? Is she successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Stevens feel he must be evasive about his employment with Lord Darlington? What has happened to make Stevens change his perspective on Lord Darlington? How does Stevens measure his own life by Lord Darlington's activities?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the technique of flashback used extensively in this book. Describe some situations that can be considered flashbacks. Why are they flashbacks? What are the benefits of using flashbacks?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)