|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of night does Stevens spend at the inn?
2. What beverage do Stevens and Miss Kenton enjoy each evening?
3. For what do the other people sitting on the pier wait?
4. How do Stevens and Miss Kenton part?
5. How does the answer to #125 react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of Stevens' sighting of the Giffen Silver Polish sign. What does silver polish signify for him? What did properly polished silver represent to important households? To Stevens?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the technique of flashback used extensively in this book. Describe some situations that can be considered flashbacks. Why are they flashbacks? What are the benefits of using flashbacks?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Stevens' emotionally repressed behavior. Why do you think he behaves the way he does? Why does Stevens maintain a cool reserve even in his personal life? Does Stevens even have a personal life?
This section contains 206 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)