|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did some of the dinner guests later say about Lord Darlington?
2. Who does Stevens talk to on the pier?
3. What does the butler tell Stevens?
4. What does Stevens tell Miss Kenton that shocks her?
5. What is Miss Kenton doing when Stevens finds her in the summerhouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the technique of flashback used extensively in this book. Describe some situations that can be considered flashbacks. Why are they flashbacks? What are the benefits of using flashbacks?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Stevens feel he must be evasive about his employment with Lord Darlington? What has happened to make Stevens change his perspective on Lord Darlington? How does Stevens measure his own life by Lord Darlington's activities?
Essay Topic 3
What is the action or item that has precipitated Stevens' latest endeavor? How is he affected by this action or item? How is Stevens' response so out of character for his usual rigid demeanor?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)