|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stevens recall the time of the conference?
2. How much has Mr. Stevens traveled in his life?
3. What question does Stevens ponder as he drives?
4. What can be enjoyed at the top of the hill?
5. What does this road trip supply for Stevens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the butler profession changed since the days of Steven's father's time in the job?
2. What event occurs to force a change in the elder Mr. Stevens' role at Darlington Hall?
3. What is Miss Kenton's reaction to the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
4. Describe Stevens' plans for his road trip.
5. How does Stevens feel about visiting the small pond?
6. What are Stevens' continuing thoughts on what makes a great butler?
7. Explain Stevens' personal complications during the time of the conference.
8. What are Stevens' thoughts about being a good butler?
9. What are the rumors related to Lard Darlington's sympathies for the Nazis?
10. What happens when Miss Kenton returns to Darlington Hall that evening?
Essay Topic 1
Stevens learns his profession from his father who was also a butler. How has the profession defined the relationship between father and son? What good has come of the mutual profession? What sadness has come from it? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
How does Stevens justify the humiliating behavior inflicted by Lord Darlington's guests toward him? What is his view on the laws of nature? Does he truly feel that class distinction has its place even after he has been a victim of its cruelty?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the technique of symbolism used extensively in this book. Describe some situations that can be considered symbolism. Why are they examples of symbolism? What are the benefits of using symbolism?
This section contains 1,814 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)