Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Mr. Faraday?
2. According to Stevens, a butler must have ________________________ as well as a working knowledge on a number of subjects.
3. Who is Mr. Stevens' current employer?
4. What did Mr. Stevens receive from Miss Kenton?
5. How can Stevens' personality be described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Stevens a little apprehensive about his meeting with Miss Kenton?
2. Describe Stevens' plans for his road trip.
3. What is the significance of the conversation Stevens has with a stranger on the pier?
4. What surprising news does Miss Kenton reveal to Stevens?
5. Who is Lisa and why does her presence create such a stir at Darlington Hall?
6. How is the staffing situation at Darlington Hall different from the time Miss Kenton had worked there?
7. What happens when Miss Kenton returns to Darlington Hall that evening?
8. Explain Stevens' personal complications during the time of the conference.
9. How has the butler profession changed since the days of Steven's father's time in the job?
10. Who is Mr. Cardinal and what does Stevens recall about him?
Essay Topic 1
Explain the technique of symbolism used extensively in this book. Describe some situations that can be considered symbolism. Why are they examples of symbolism? What are the benefits of using symbolism?
Essay Topic 2
What is the action or item that has precipitated Stevens' latest endeavor? How is he affected by this action or item? How is Stevens' response so out of character for his usual rigid demeanor?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the technique of flashback used extensively in this book. Describe some situations that can be considered flashbacks. Why are they flashbacks? What are the benefits of using flashbacks?
This section contains 1,164 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)