|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has been the nature of Mr. Stevens' trips?
2. How long has Mr. Stevens been employed in this position?
3. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
4. Mr. Farraday's comment makes Mr. Stevens feel __________________.
5. What does Miss Kenton insinuate in her letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lisa and why does her presence create such a stir at Darlington Hall?
2. How has the butler profession changed since the days of Steven's father's time in the job?
3. What surprising news does Miss Kenton reveal to Stevens?
4. Why does Miss Kenton not follow through on her threat to resign?
5. Why is Stevens a little apprehensive about his meeting with Miss Kenton?
6. What occasion does Stevens recall where the silver altered the apprehensive nature of a guest?
7. Why does Stevens evade the question about being employed by Lord Darlington at one time?
8. What are Stevens' continuing thoughts on what makes a great butler?
9. What happens when Stevens runs out of fuel and is nowhere near a filling station?
10. What are Stevens' thoughts about being a good butler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Stevens' preparations for his road trip. How do his preparations mirror his personality? Why is the trip out of character for him?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the narrative style of writing in the book. Who is the narrator? How is his character defined through this choice of writing style?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Stevens feel he must be evasive about his employment with Lord Darlington? What has happened to make Stevens change his perspective on Lord Darlington? How does Stevens measure his own life by Lord Darlington's activities?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)