|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Lord Darlington host a conference of important men from around the world?
2. How does Stevens feel about this widely accepted position?
3. What is the topic of the conference?
4. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
5. What literary device does the author use when describing Stevens' last chance to see a spectacular view?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what occasion does Stevens lie about his employment with Lord Darlington?
2. What are Stevens' continuing thoughts on what makes a great butler?
3. Why does Miss Kenton not follow through on her threat to resign?
4. How does Miss Kenton's assertive behavior make Stevens uncomfortable when she enters the butler's pantry one night?
5. How has Stevens' road trip been both beneficial and uncomfortable for him?
6. How is Stevens' reserve shown regarding Miss Kenton's letter?
7. Explain the nature of Miss Kenton's letter to Stevens.
8. What happens when Stevens runs out of fuel and is nowhere near a filling station?
9. Describe Stevens' behavior and thoughts while his father is ill during the conference.
10. What irony or insult to Lord Darlington does Stevens think about when recalling the German ambassador's visit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the technique of foreshadowing used in this book. Describe some situations that can be considered foreshadowing. Why are they examples of foreshadowing? What are the benefits of using foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 2
Stevens defines dignity and professionalism as the two main characteristics of a good butler. What other qualities are necessary to be a good butler. What type of person could never be a good butler? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why the resignation of Lisa is so wounding to Miss Kenton. How did Lisa betray Miss Kenton's trust? Why does Miss Kenton think Lisa is foolish? Why is Miss Kenton secretly jealous of Lisa?
This section contains 1,793 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)