|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stevens does not want people to get the idea that he is ___________________ about working for Lord Darlington.
2. Mr. Stevens is not comfortable with American ________________.
3. What is Stevens able to do in his position of head butler at the conference?
4. Miss Kenton could be a solution for what problem at Darlington Hall?
5. What accident does the elder Mr. Stevens have one day?
Short Essay Questions
1. In addition to his mental state, the pond scene also symbolizes Stevens' life as a whole. Explain.
2. What is Stevens' position on whether a man has innate dignity or not.
3. What benefit does the road trip provide for Stevens?
4. Describe the role that integrity and contributions to society contribute toward making a household a great one.
5. Who is Lisa and why does her presence create such a stir at Darlington Hall?
6. How does Miss Kenton react to the news that Stevens had also been upset by the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
7. Explain the role of flashbacks in the story.
8. What is the significance of the March 23 conference hosted by Lord Darlington?
9. On what occasion does Stevens lie about his employment with Lord Darlington?
10. Describe Miss Kenton's situation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the role of a butler in a great household. How does Stevens fit in that description. Is Stevens happy with his profession? Would he have chosen it if he had had other options? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the unspoken attraction between Stevens and Miss Kenton. How does Miss Kenton try to get to know Stevens on a more personal level? Is she successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Stevens learns his profession from his father who was also a butler. How has the profession defined the relationship between father and son? What good has come of the mutual profession? What sadness has come from it? Explain.
This section contains 1,170 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)