|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Kenton insinuate in her letter?
2. What does the car need?
3. How much has Mr. Stevens traveled in his life?
4. Where has Mr. Stevens been employed for many years?
5. By what is Stevens conflicted?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stevens evade the question about being employed by Lord Darlington at one time?
2. Why is the meeting between Stevens and Miss Kenton so poignant?
3. Describe the role that integrity and contributions to society contribute toward making a household a great one.
4. What benefit does the road trip provide for Stevens?
5. Describe the role that professionalism and loyalty serve in Stevens' life.
6. In addition to his mental state, the pond scene also symbolizes Stevens' life as a whole. Explain.
7. How has the elder Mr. Stevens affected Stevens and the relationship the two ultimately share?
8. What are Stevens' continuing thoughts on what makes a great butler?
9. What is the relationship between Stevens and Mr. Farraday?
10. What is the significance of the novel's final scene in which Stevens waits for the lights on the pier to come on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the narrative style of writing in the book. Who is the narrator? How is his character defined through this choice of writing style?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Stevens' emotionally repressed behavior. Why do you think he behaves the way he does? Why does Stevens maintain a cool reserve even in his personal life? Does Stevens even have a personal life?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of Stevens' sighting of the Giffen Silver Polish sign. What does silver polish signify for him? What did properly polished silver represent to important households? To Stevens?
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)