|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the encounter with the old man at the forest symbolize Stevens' personality?
2. How much has Mr. Stevens traveled in his life?
3. Mr. Farraday's comment makes Mr. Stevens feel __________________.
4. When did Lord Darlington host a conference of important men from around the world?
5. What is Mr. Stevens considering at point in time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Stevens' reserve shown regarding Miss Kenton's letter?
2. What irony or insult to Lord Darlington does Stevens think about when recalling the German ambassador's visit?
3. On what occasion does Stevens lie about his employment with Lord Darlington?
4. In addition to his mental state, the pond scene also symbolizes Stevens' life as a whole. Explain.
5. What is Miss Kenton's reaction to the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
6. Why is Stevens a little apprehensive about his meeting with Miss Kenton?
7. Explain the role of flashbacks in the story.
8. How does Miss Kenton's assertive behavior make Stevens uncomfortable when she enters the butler's pantry one night?
9. What are the circumstances of the elder Mr. Stevens coming to work at Darlington Hall?
10. What happens when Miss Kenton returns to Darlington Hall that evening?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Define the role of a butler in a great household. How does Stevens fit in that description. Is Stevens happy with his profession? Would he have chosen it if he had had other options? Explain.
Essay Topic 2What is the action or item that has precipitated Stevens' latest endeavor? How is he affected by this action or item? How is Stevens' response so out of character for his usual rigid demeanor?
Essay Topic 3Explain Stevens' emotionally repressed behavior. Why do you think he behaves the way he does? Why does Stevens maintain a cool reserve even in his personal life? Does Stevens even have a personal life?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)