|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stevens feel about this widely accepted position?
2. What is the state of Miss Kenton's marriage?
3. How can Stevens' personality be described?
4. How much has Mr. Stevens traveled in his life?
5. What is the topic of the conference?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the meeting between Stevens and Miss Kenton so poignant?
2. Explain the symbolism of the polished silver.
3. What does Stevens do after finding out that Mr. Cardinal plans to stay the night.
4. Describe the story line in THE REMAINS OF THE DAY.
5. What surprising news does Miss Kenton reveal to Stevens?
6. How does Stevens finally justify his time spent with Lord Darlington?
7. What irony or insult to Lord Darlington does Stevens think about when recalling the German ambassador's visit?
8. How is Stevens' reserve shown regarding Miss Kenton's letter?
9. How do Miss Kenton's personality and work style challenge Stevens at first?
10. What does Stevens encounter the next morning that reminds him of serving in a great household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stevens must have some idea of Lord Darlington's political tendencies given the nature of his guests during this period in history. How does he justify Lord Darlington's actions? Is Stevens smarter than Lord Darlington gives him credit for? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the technique of foreshadowing used in this book. Describe some situations that can be considered foreshadowing. Why are they examples of foreshadowing? What are the benefits of using foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of Stevens' sighting of the Giffen Silver Polish sign. What does silver polish signify for him? What did properly polished silver represent to important households? To Stevens?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)