|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stevens' behavior indicates that he is haunted by ______________________.
2. What does Mr. Stevens consider critical to his work?
3. What is Miss Kenton's name now that she is married?
4. According to Stevens, a butler must have ________________________ as well as a working knowledge on a number of subjects.
5. What does the doctor do after attending to the elder Mr. Stevens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the nature of Miss Kenton's letter to Stevens.
2. What benefit does the road trip provide for Stevens?
3. On what occasion does Stevens lie about his employment with Lord Darlington?
4. Describe Stevens' behavior and thoughts while his father is ill during the conference.
5. How has Stevens' road trip been both beneficial and uncomfortable for him?
6. How has the elder Mr. Stevens affected Stevens and the relationship the two ultimately share?
7. What was the nature of Stevens' meeting with Miss Kenton?
8. What surprising news does Miss Kenton give Stevens on this night?
9. Why does Miss Kenton not follow through on her threat to resign?
10. How does the Day 6, Evening Chapter begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Stevens' preparations for his road trip. How do his preparations mirror his personality? Why is the trip out of character for him?
Essay Topic 2
What is the action or item that has precipitated Stevens' latest endeavor? How is he affected by this action or item? How is Stevens' response so out of character for his usual rigid demeanor?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the technique of foreshadowing used in this book. Describe some situations that can be considered foreshadowing. Why are they examples of foreshadowing? What are the benefits of using foreshadowing?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)