|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stevens' behavior indicates that he is haunted by ______________________.
2. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
3. What happens when Stevens returns to his duties at the conference?
4. What does Stevens tell his father after the accident?
5. Mr. Farraday's comment makes Mr. Stevens feel __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Kenton's assertive behavior make Stevens uncomfortable when she enters the butler's pantry one night?
2. Explain the symbolism of the polished silver.
3. Describe what happens when Stevens parks the car to view an unfamiliar spot on his trip.
4. Why is the meeting between Stevens and Miss Kenton so poignant?
5. On what occasion does Stevens lie about his employment with Lord Darlington?
6. What is the significance of the March 23 conference hosted by Lord Darlington?
7. What is the relationship between Stevens and Mr. Farraday?
8. What is Miss Kenton's reaction to the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
9. What is the significance of the novel's final scene in which Stevens waits for the lights on the pier to come on?
10. How does the Day 6, Evening Chapter begin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Stevens feel he must be evasive about his employment with Lord Darlington? What has happened to make Stevens change his perspective on Lord Darlington? How does Stevens measure his own life by Lord Darlington's activities?
Essay Topic 2
Stevens must have some idea of Lord Darlington's political tendencies given the nature of his guests during this period in history. How does he justify Lord Darlington's actions? Is Stevens smarter than Lord Darlington gives him credit for? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Stevens learns his profession from his father who was also a butler. How has the profession defined the relationship between father and son? What good has come of the mutual profession? What sadness has come from it? Explain.
This section contains 1,173 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)