|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what is Stevens conflicted?
2. Who assists Stevens with his problem?
3. Why does Miss Kenton interrupt the conference to beckon Stevens out of the room?
4. When did Lord Darlington host a conference of important men from around the world?
5. Where are the elder Mr. Stevens' tasks outlined?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the meeting between Stevens and Miss Kenton so poignant?
2. Why does Stevens return again and again in his mind to his reluctance to admit to being employed by Lord Darlington?
3. What concerns does Mr. Cardinal have regarding Lord Darlington?
4. When does Stevens first get a glimpse of Lord Darlington's Nazi sympathies?
5. What occasion does Stevens recall where the silver altered the apprehensive nature of a guest?
6. In addition to his mental state, the pond scene also symbolizes Stevens' life as a whole. Explain.
7. What is Miss Kenton's reaction to the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
8. Explain the symbolism of the polished silver.
9. How does Stevens finally justify his time spent with Lord Darlington?
10. What is the relationship between Stevens and Mr. Farraday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stevens defines dignity and professionalism as the two main characteristics of a good butler. What other qualities are necessary to be a good butler. What type of person could never be a good butler? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Define the role of a butler in a great household. How does Stevens fit in that description. Is Stevens happy with his profession? Would he have chosen it if he had had other options? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Give five character traits for both Stevens and Miss Kenton. How are they similar? How are they dissimilar?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)