Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Mr. Faraday?
2. According to Stevens, a butler must have ________________________ as well as a working knowledge on a number of subjects.
3. Who is Mr. Stevens' current employer?
4. What did Mr. Stevens receive from Miss Kenton?
5. How can Stevens' personality be described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Stevens a little apprehensive about his meeting with Miss Kenton?
2. Describe Stevens' plans for his road trip.
3. What is the significance of the conversation Stevens has with a stranger on the pier?
4. What surprising news does Miss Kenton reveal to Stevens?
5. Who is Lisa and why does her presence create such a stir at Darlington Hall?
6. How is the staffing situation at Darlington Hall different from the time Miss Kenton had worked there?
7. What happens when Miss Kenton returns to Darlington Hall that evening?
8. Explain Stevens' personal complications during the time of the conference.
9. How has the butler profession changed since the days of Steven's father's time in the job?
10. Who is Mr. Cardinal and what does Stevens recall about him?
Essay Topic 1
When Stevens runs out of gas, he spends the night in a small town where the people think he is some sort of dignitary. Why does Stevens not speak up and amend their views? Does Stevens want the people to think he is important? Or does he just not want to engage in any way with personal dialogue with strangers? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the technique of flashback used extensively in this book. Describe some situations that can be considered flashbacks. Why are they flashbacks? What are the benefits of using flashbacks?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Stevens is an unwitting accomplice in anti-Semitic behavior. How does he react when he realizes this fact? Is his reaction in character or out of character? Explain.
This section contains 1,189 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)