|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the overall goal of the conference?
2. What did Mr. Stevens receive from Miss Kenton?
3. Why does Miss Kenton interrupt the conference to beckon Stevens out of the room?
4. What has been the nature of Mr. Stevens' trips?
5. How long has Miss Kenton been gone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the nature of Stevens' meeting with Miss Kenton?
2. What are the rumors related to Lard Darlington's sympathies for the Nazis?
3. How does Stevens feel about visiting the small pond?
4. Explain the symbolism and foreshadowing in this chapter.
5. What is the relationship between Stevens and Mr. Farraday?
6. What is the significance of the conversation Stevens has with a stranger on the pier?
7. What is the significance of the March 23 conference hosted by Lord Darlington?
8. What benefit does the road trip provide for Stevens?
9. What are Stevens' thoughts about being a good butler?
10. Describe the role that integrity and contributions to society contribute toward making a household a great one.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stevens defines dignity and professionalism as the two main characteristics of a good butler. What other qualities are necessary to be a good butler. What type of person could never be a good butler? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the unspoken attraction between Stevens and Miss Kenton. How does Miss Kenton try to get to know Stevens on a more personal level? Is she successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of Stevens' sighting of the Giffen Silver Polish sign. What does silver polish signify for him? What did properly polished silver represent to important households? To Stevens?
This section contains 1,758 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)