|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stevens realizes that he is ______________ when asked about employment with Lord Darlington.
2. What does Miss Kenton insinuate in her letter?
3. What does Stevens think about in the time before breakfast?
4. Who is Miss Kenton?
5. Where are the elder Mr. Stevens' tasks outlined?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story line in THE REMAINS OF THE DAY.
2. How is the staffing situation at Darlington Hall different from the time Miss Kenton had worked there?
3. Describe Stevens' behavior and thoughts while his father is ill during the conference.
4. How has the butler profession changed since the days of Steven's father's time in the job?
5. What occasion does Stevens recall where the silver altered the apprehensive nature of a guest?
6. What is the significance of the novel's final scene in which Stevens waits for the lights on the pier to come on?
7. Why does Stevens return again and again in his mind to his reluctance to admit to being employed by Lord Darlington?
8. What is the significance of the March 23 conference hosted by Lord Darlington?
9. What happens when Stevens runs out of fuel and is nowhere near a filling station?
10. What are Stevens' thoughts about being a good butler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Stevens feel he must be evasive about his employment with Lord Darlington? What has happened to make Stevens change his perspective on Lord Darlington? How does Stevens measure his own life by Lord Darlington's activities?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Stevens is an unwitting accomplice in anti-Semitic behavior. How does he react when he realizes this fact? Is his reaction in character or out of character? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the symbolism of Stevens' sighting of the Giffen Silver Polish sign. What does silver polish signify for him? What did properly polished silver represent to important households? To Stevens?
This section contains 1,140 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)