|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many dignitaries are expected?
2. According to Stevens, what is another characteristic of a great butler?
3. Mr. Farraday's comment makes Mr. Stevens feel __________________.
4. What does Mr. Faraday call Mr. Stevens when he learns of Mr. Stevens' plans to visit Miss Kenton?
5. Miss Kenton could be a solution for what problem at Darlington Hall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Stevens and Mr. Farraday?
2. When does Stevens first get a glimpse of Lord Darlington's Nazi sympathies?
3. What was the nature of Stevens' meeting with Miss Kenton?
4. What surprising news does Miss Kenton give Stevens on this night?
5. How has the elder Mr. Stevens affected Stevens and the relationship the two ultimately share?
6. What is Miss Kenton's reaction to the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
7. What benefit does the road trip provide for Stevens?
8. What is the significance of the conversation Stevens has with a stranger on the pier?
9. What is Stevens' position on whether a man has innate dignity or not.
10. What is the extent of Stevens' travels during his lifetime?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give five character traits for both Stevens and Miss Kenton. How are they similar? How are they dissimilar?
Essay Topic 2
How does Stevens justify the humiliating behavior inflicted by Lord Darlington's guests toward him? What is his view on the laws of nature? Does he truly feel that class distinction has its place even after he has been a victim of its cruelty?
Essay Topic 3
When Stevens runs out of gas, he spends the night in a small town where the people think he is some sort of dignitary. Why does Stevens not speak up and amend their views? Does Stevens want the people to think he is important? Or does he just not want to engage in any way with personal dialogue with strangers? Explain.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)