|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lord Darlington's hope for the conference?
2. What question does Stevens ponder as he drives?
3. What did Miss Kenton call Stevens' father one day?
4. What does the doctor do after attending to the elder Mr. Stevens?
5. What had Stevens said about employment by Lord Darlington when asked by a guest of Mr. Farraday's?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Miss Kenton's personality and work style challenge Stevens at first?
2. How is Stevens' reserve shown regarding Miss Kenton's letter?
3. What are the rumors related to Lard Darlington's sympathies for the Nazis?
4. How does Miss Kenton's assertive behavior make Stevens uncomfortable when she enters the butler's pantry one night?
5. Describe the role that integrity and contributions to society contribute toward making a household a great one.
6. Why is the meeting between Stevens and Miss Kenton so poignant?
7. How does Stevens finally justify his time spent with Lord Darlington?
8. Explain Stevens' personal complications during the time of the conference.
9. What does Stevens do after finding out that Mr. Cardinal plans to stay the night.
10. What is the significance of the novel's final scene in which Stevens waits for the lights on the pier to come on?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the technique of flashback used extensively in this book. Describe some situations that can be considered flashbacks. Why are they flashbacks? What are the benefits of using flashbacks?
Essay Topic 2
Stevens learns his profession from his father who was also a butler. How has the profession defined the relationship between father and son? What good has come of the mutual profession? What sadness has come from it? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Stevens defines dignity and professionalism as the two main characteristics of a good butler. What other qualities are necessary to be a good butler. What type of person could never be a good butler? Explain.
This section contains 1,734 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)