|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who assists Stevens with his problem?
2. What does the car need?
3. What is Mr. Stevens' profession?
4. Why does Stevens' answer put Mr. Farraday in an awkward spot?
5. Under whom did Stevens train as a butler?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the staffing situation at Darlington Hall different from the time Miss Kenton had worked there?
2. When does Stevens first get a glimpse of Lord Darlington's Nazi sympathies?
3. Explain Stevens' personal complications during the time of the conference.
4. What is the relationship between Stevens and Mr. Farraday?
5. What does Stevens encounter the next morning that reminds him of serving in a great household?
6. What event occurs to force a change in the elder Mr. Stevens' role at Darlington Hall?
7. What benefit does the road trip provide for Stevens?
8. Explain the role of flashbacks in the story.
9. Why does Stevens return again and again in his mind to his reluctance to admit to being employed by Lord Darlington?
10. Describe what happens when Stevens parks the car to view an unfamiliar spot on his trip.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the technique of foreshadowing used in this book. Describe some situations that can be considered foreshadowing. Why are they examples of foreshadowing? What are the benefits of using foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 2
Stevens must have some idea of Lord Darlington's political tendencies given the nature of his guests during this period in history. How does he justify Lord Darlington's actions? Is Stevens smarter than Lord Darlington gives him credit for? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Stevens is an unwitting accomplice in anti-Semitic behavior. How does he react when he realizes this fact? Is his reaction in character or out of character? Explain.
This section contains 1,033 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)