Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Mr. Faraday?
2. According to Stevens, a butler must have ________________________ as well as a working knowledge on a number of subjects.
3. Who is Mr. Stevens' current employer?
4. What did Mr. Stevens receive from Miss Kenton?
5. How can Stevens' personality be described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Stevens a little apprehensive about his meeting with Miss Kenton?
2. Describe Stevens' plans for his road trip.
3. What is the significance of the conversation Stevens has with a stranger on the pier?
4. What surprising news does Miss Kenton reveal to Stevens?
5. Who is Lisa and why does her presence create such a stir at Darlington Hall?
6. How is the staffing situation at Darlington Hall different from the time Miss Kenton had worked there?
7. What happens when Miss Kenton returns to Darlington Hall that evening?
8. Explain Stevens' personal complications during the time of the conference.
9. How has the butler profession changed since the days of Steven's father's time in the job?
10. Who is Mr. Cardinal and what does Stevens recall about him?
Essay Topic 1
Explain Stevens' emotionally repressed behavior. Why do you think he behaves the way he does? Why does Stevens maintain a cool reserve even in his personal life? Does Stevens even have a personal life?
Essay Topic 2
Stevens learns his profession from his father who was also a butler. How has the profession defined the relationship between father and son? What good has come of the mutual profession? What sadness has come from it? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the action or item that has precipitated Stevens' latest endeavor? How is he affected by this action or item? How is Stevens' response so out of character for his usual rigid demeanor?
This section contains 1,176 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)