|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Stevens' demeanor?
2. How can Stevens' personality be described?
3. What had Stevens said about employment by Lord Darlington when asked by a guest of Mr. Farraday's?
4. To what does Stevens compare himself?
5. Who is the best butler Stevens has ever seen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the staffing situation at Darlington Hall different from the time Miss Kenton had worked there?
2. What concerns does Mr. Cardinal have regarding Lord Darlington?
3. When does Stevens first get a glimpse of Lord Darlington's Nazi sympathies?
4. What was the nature of Stevens' meeting with Miss Kenton?
5. What is Stevens' position on whether a man has innate dignity or not.
6. What happens when Miss Kenton returns to Darlington Hall that evening?
7. What is the relationship between Stevens and Mr. Farraday?
8. Describe Miss Kenton's situation.
9. Who is Lisa and why does her presence create such a stir at Darlington Hall?
10. What are Stevens' continuing thoughts on what makes a great butler?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Stevens runs out of gas, he spends the night in a small town where the people think he is some sort of dignitary. Why does Stevens not speak up and amend their views? Does Stevens want the people to think he is important? Or does he just not want to engage in any way with personal dialogue with strangers? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Stevens defines dignity and professionalism as the two main characteristics of a good butler. What other qualities are necessary to be a good butler. What type of person could never be a good butler? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Stevens' preparations for his road trip. How do his preparations mirror his personality? Why is the trip out of character for him?
This section contains 1,108 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)