|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stevens believes that the rungs of a social ladder have been replaced by __________.
2. What does the elder Mr. Stevens tell Stevens?
3. By what is a great household judged?
4. What is the state of the relationship between Mr. Stevens and Mr. Faraday?
5. What is the Treaty of Versailles
Short Essay Questions
1. What occasion does Stevens recall where the silver altered the apprehensive nature of a guest?
2. When does Stevens first get a glimpse of Lord Darlington's Nazi sympathies?
3. How does Miss Kenton's assertive behavior make Stevens uncomfortable when she enters the butler's pantry one night?
4. What irony or insult to Lord Darlington does Stevens think about when recalling the German ambassador's visit?
5. How has the elder Mr. Stevens affected Stevens and the relationship the two ultimately share?
6. What is the significance of the March 23 conference hosted by Lord Darlington?
7. What surprising news does Miss Kenton reveal to Stevens?
8. Describe Stevens' demeanor and bearing.
9. Why does Stevens evade the question about being employed by Lord Darlington at one time?
10. What does Stevens do after finding out that Mr. Cardinal plans to stay the night.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the technique of foreshadowing used in this book. Describe some situations that can be considered foreshadowing. Why are they examples of foreshadowing? What are the benefits of using foreshadowing?
Essay Topic 2
How does Stevens justify the humiliating behavior inflicted by Lord Darlington's guests toward him? What is his view on the laws of nature? Does he truly feel that class distinction has its place even after he has been a victim of its cruelty?
Essay Topic 3
Explain why the resignation of Lisa is so wounding to Miss Kenton. How did Lisa betray Miss Kenton's trust? Why does Miss Kenton think Lisa is foolish? Why is Miss Kenton secretly jealous of Lisa?
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)