|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
2. What did Miss Kenton call Stevens' father one day?
3. What is Stevens able to do in his position of head butler at the conference?
4. Many people associated with the butler profession say that either a man has _______________________ or he does not.
5. What is the state of the relationship between Mr. Stevens and Mr. Faraday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Miss Kenton's situation.
2. What happens when Stevens runs out of fuel and is nowhere near a filling station?
3. How has Stevens' road trip been both beneficial and uncomfortable for him?
4. What was the nature of Stevens' meeting with Miss Kenton?
5. What is the significance of the conversation Stevens has with a stranger on the pier?
6. Describe Stevens' demeanor and bearing.
7. What are the rumors related to Lard Darlington's sympathies for the Nazis?
8. What event occurs to force a change in the elder Mr. Stevens' role at Darlington Hall?
9. What is the relationship between Stevens and Mr. Farraday?
10. What occasion does Stevens recall where the silver altered the apprehensive nature of a guest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the symbolism of Stevens' sighting of the Giffen Silver Polish sign. What does silver polish signify for him? What did properly polished silver represent to important households? To Stevens?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Stevens feel he must be evasive about his employment with Lord Darlington? What has happened to make Stevens change his perspective on Lord Darlington? How does Stevens measure his own life by Lord Darlington's activities?
Essay Topic 3
Give five character traits for both Stevens and Miss Kenton. How are they similar? How are they dissimilar?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)