Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nationality is Mr. Faraday?
2. According to Stevens, a butler must have ________________________ as well as a working knowledge on a number of subjects.
3. Who is Mr. Stevens' current employer?
4. What did Mr. Stevens receive from Miss Kenton?
5. How can Stevens' personality be described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Stevens a little apprehensive about his meeting with Miss Kenton?
2. Describe Stevens' plans for his road trip.
3. What is the significance of the conversation Stevens has with a stranger on the pier?
4. What surprising news does Miss Kenton reveal to Stevens?
5. Who is Lisa and why does her presence create such a stir at Darlington Hall?
6. How is the staffing situation at Darlington Hall different from the time Miss Kenton had worked there?
7. What happens when Miss Kenton returns to Darlington Hall that evening?
8. Explain Stevens' personal complications during the time of the conference.
9. How has the butler profession changed since the days of Steven's father's time in the job?
10. Who is Mr. Cardinal and what does Stevens recall about him?
When Stevens runs out of gas, he spends the night in a small town where the people think he is some sort of dignitary. Why does Stevens not speak up and amend their views? Does Stevens want the people to think he is important? Or does he just not want to engage in any way with personal dialogue with strangers? Explain.
How does Stevens justify the humiliating behavior inflicted by Lord Darlington's guests toward him? What is his view on the laws of nature? Does he truly feel that class distinction has its place even after he has been a victim of its cruelty?
Explain the symbolism of Stevens' sighting of the Giffen Silver Polish sign. What does silver polish signify for him? What did properly polished silver represent to important households? To Stevens?
This section contains 1,198 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)