|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr. Stevens' demeanor?
(d) Very proper
2. What does the car need?
(a) Water for the radiator
(b) A new tire
(c) A new windshield
3. What is the state of Miss Kenton's marriage?
(a) It is failing
(b) She is a newlywed
(c) It is stable
(d) It has just ended
4. Stevens believes that the rungs of a social ladder have been replaced by __________.
(a) stepping stones
(b) a wheel
(c) a cart
(d) a step stool
5. How does Stevens feel about serving at Darlington Hall for so many years?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
2. What is the current number of staff at Darlington Hall?
3. Where has Mr. Stevens been employed for many years?
4. Stevens realizes that he is ______________ when asked about employment with Lord Darlington.
5. What has been the nature of Mr. Stevens' trips?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the symbolism of the polished silver.
2. Explain the nature of Miss Kenton's letter to Stevens.
3. How has the butler profession changed since the days of Steven's father's time in the job?
4. Describe the story line in THE REMAINS OF THE DAY.
5. Describe what happens when Stevens parks the car to view an unfamiliar spot on his trip.
6. What was the nature of Stevens' meeting with Miss Kenton?
7. How is the staffing situation at Darlington Hall different from the time Miss Kenton had worked there?
8. What concerns does Mr. Cardinal have regarding Lord Darlington?
9. How has the elder Mr. Stevens affected Stevens and the relationship the two ultimately share?
10. What is Stevens' position on whether a man has innate dignity or not.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)