|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Miss Kenton been gone?
(a) 10 years
(b) 15 years
(c) 2 years
(d) 20 years
2. Where has Mr. Stevens been employed for many years?
(a) Darlington Hall
(b) British Secret Service
(c) Scotland Yard
3. What does this road trip supply for Stevens?
(a) A shopping excursion
(b) Time alone to ponder and reminisce
(c) A chance to meet new vendors
(d) A well-deserved vacation
4. What did Miss Kenton call Stevens' father one day?
(a) A tyrant
(d) A nuisance
5. Where did Stevens spend the night?
(a) A guest house in Salisbury
(b) A bed and breakfast in Devonshire
(c) A 4-star hotel in London
(d) A Holiday Inn
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Stevens ponder as he drives?
2. Why does Stevens' answer put Mr. Farraday in an awkward spot?
3. How much has Mr. Stevens traveled in his life?
4. What does the elder Mr. Stevens tell Stevens?
5. How does the encounter with the old man at the forest symbolize Stevens' personality?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lisa and why does her presence create such a stir at Darlington Hall?
2. How does the novel begin?
3. How does Miss Kenton react to the news that Stevens had also been upset by the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
4. What is the significance of the conversation Stevens has with a stranger on the pier?
5. What is Miss Kenton's reaction to the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
6. How do Miss Kenton's personality and work style challenge Stevens at first?
7. What are the rumors related to Lard Darlington's sympathies for the Nazis?
8. What occasion does Stevens recall where the silver altered the apprehensive nature of a guest?
9. What are Stevens' continuing thoughts on what makes a great butler?
10. Describe the role that professionalism and loyalty serve in Stevens' life.
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)