|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has Miss Kenton been gone?
(a) 2 years
(b) 10 years
(c) 15 years
(d) 20 years
2. In what country does Mr. Stevens life?
(c) United States
3. What is the topic of the conference?
(a) The British Empire expansion
(b) The oil crisis
(c) Germany's reparations after World War I
(d) Global warming
4. What does the elder Mr. Stevens tell Stevens?
(a) He loves him and is proud of him
(b) Stevens should marry Miss Kenton
(c) He wants to make out his will
(d) He would like some wine with dinner
5. What does Stevens feel has happened to Lord Darlington's reputation?
(a) It is destroyed
(b) It is revered
(c) It is tarnished
(d) It is glowing
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stevens awaken early?
2. How can Stevens' father's demeanor best be described?
3. What did Mr. Stevens receive from Miss Kenton?
4. What is Miss Kenton's name now that she is married?
5. What is Mr. Stevens considering at point in time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Stevens and Mr. Farraday?
2. How does Miss Kenton's assertive behavior make Stevens uncomfortable when she enters the butler's pantry one night?
3. How does Stevens feel about visiting the small pond?
4. What irony or insult to Lord Darlington does Stevens think about when recalling the German ambassador's visit?
5. How does Stevens finally justify his time spent with Lord Darlington?
6. Why is the meeting between Stevens and Miss Kenton so poignant?
7. How does the novel begin?
8. Describe Stevens' behavior and thoughts while his father is ill during the conference.
9. What happens when Stevens runs out of fuel and is nowhere near a filling station?
10. In addition to his mental state, the pond scene also symbolizes Stevens' life as a whole. Explain.
This section contains 1,068 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)