|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stevens consider it to be to talk about a former employer?
(b) Casual conversation
2. What is the state of Miss Kenton's marriage?
(a) It is stable
(b) It has just ended
(c) It is failing
(d) She is a newlywed
3. Mr. Farraday's comment makes Mr. Stevens feel __________________.
4. What had Miss Kenton brought to Stevens' office at Darlington Hall one day?
(b) New curtains
(c) Fresh flowers
5. How can Stevens' personality be described?
Short Answer Questions
1. Voicing his comparisons of himself to other butlers would be ____________.
2. How does the encounter with the old man at the forest symbolize Stevens' personality?
3. Who is the best butler Stevens has ever seen?
4. How long has Miss Kenton been gone?
5. Why has Stevens missed out on a normal life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the symbolism and foreshadowing in this chapter.
2. Explain the nature of Miss Kenton's letter to Stevens.
3. Why is Stevens a little apprehensive about his meeting with Miss Kenton?
4. Who is Mr. Cardinal and what does Stevens recall about him?
5. What is the relationship between Stevens and Mr. Farraday?
6. What occasion does Stevens recall where the silver altered the apprehensive nature of a guest?
7. What are Stevens' thoughts about being a good butler?
8. How does Miss Kenton react to the news that Stevens had also been upset by the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
9. How does the scene at the pond indicate Stevens' state of mind during his road trip?
10. What are the circumstances of the elder Mr. Stevens coming to work at Darlington Hall?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)