|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Mr. Stevens been employed for many years?
(a) Darlington Hall
(b) Scotland Yard
(c) British Secret Service
2. What has been the nature of Mr. Stevens' trips?
(a) Family vacations
(b) Annual vacations
(c) Family holidays
(d) Outings for professional duties
3. When did Lord Darlington host a conference of important men from around the world?
(a) May 1925
(b) March 1939
(c) March 1923
(d) April 1923
4. What does Stevens consider it to be to talk about a former employer?
(c) Casual conversation
5. What is Mr. Stevens' profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. How can Stevens' father's demeanor best be described?
2. Many people associated with the butler profession say that either a man has _______________________ or he does not.
3. What happens when Stevens returns to his duties at the conference?
4. What does the elder Mr. Stevens tell Stevens?
5. By what is a great household judged?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stevens do after finding out that Mr. Cardinal plans to stay the night.
2. What benefit does the road trip provide for Stevens?
3. Explain the symbolism of the polished silver.
4. What is the significance of the conversation Stevens has with a stranger on the pier?
5. How do Miss Kenton's personality and work style challenge Stevens at first?
6. What are the circumstances of the elder Mr. Stevens coming to work at Darlington Hall?
7. Explain the symbolism and foreshadowing in this chapter.
8. How does Miss Kenton's assertive behavior make Stevens uncomfortable when she enters the butler's pantry one night?
9. How does Stevens feel about visiting the small pond?
10. How has the butler profession changed since the days of Steven's father's time in the job?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)