|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Many people associated with the butler profession say that either a man has _______________________ or he does not.
(a) the dignified qualities necessary
(b) the proper credentials
(c) the right clothes
(d) a sense of humor
2. Stevens believes that the rungs of a social ladder have been replaced by __________.
(a) a cart
(b) a wheel
(c) stepping stones
(d) a step stool
3. What does Stevens consider it to be to talk about a former employer?
(b) Casual conversation
4. What literary device does the author use when describing Stevens' last chance to see a spectacular view?
5. Why has Stevens missed out on a normal life?
(a) He does not drive
(b) He is devoted to his job
(c) He does not like meeting new people
(d) He is too shy to get married
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lord Darlington's hope for the conference?
2. What is the topic of the conference?
3. What does Stevens consider the comments people still make about Lord Darlington?
4. Mr. Farraday's comment makes Mr. Stevens feel __________________.
5. Stevens' behavior indicates that he is haunted by ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the extent of Stevens' travels during his lifetime?
2. In addition to his mental state, the pond scene also symbolizes Stevens' life as a whole. Explain.
3. What does Stevens encounter the next morning that reminds him of serving in a great household?
4. Explain the symbolism and foreshadowing in this chapter.
5. Why does Stevens return again and again in his mind to his reluctance to admit to being employed by Lord Darlington?
6. What surprising news does Miss Kenton reveal to Stevens?
7. Who is Lisa and why does her presence create such a stir at Darlington Hall?
8. How does Miss Kenton's assertive behavior make Stevens uncomfortable when she enters the butler's pantry one night?
9. What is Miss Kenton's reaction to the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
10. Explain the nature of Miss Kenton's letter to Stevens.
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)