|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the best butler Stevens has ever seen?
(a) His uncle
(b) His mentor
(c) His grandfather
(d) His father
2. Who assists Stevens with his problem?
(c) Traveling salesman
3. Where does Stevens go for help?
(a) The next town
(b) A service station
(c) A nearby farm
(d) A large Victorian house
4. What is the subject of Miss Kenton's letter?
(a) She has a terminal illness
(b) She is starting a restaurant
(c) She is recently divorced with no future plans
(d) She is moving to the United States
5. Under whom did Stevens train as a butler?
(a) His own father
(b) His grandfather
(c) A professional services organization
(d) The Queen's butler
Short Answer Questions
1. Stevens does not want people to get the idea that he is ___________________ about working for Lord Darlington.
2. What was the number of staff employed at Darlington Hall 20 years ago?
3. How long has Mr. Stevens been employed in this position?
4. What happens to the car as Stevens continues on his trip?
5. What book does Mr. Stevens consult before leaving on his trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Kenton's assertive behavior make Stevens uncomfortable when she enters the butler's pantry one night?
2. What is Stevens' position on whether a man has innate dignity or not.
3. How does the scene at the pond indicate Stevens' state of mind during his road trip?
4. Explain the symbolism and foreshadowing in this chapter.
5. When does Stevens first get a glimpse of Lord Darlington's Nazi sympathies?
6. What is the extent of Stevens' travels during his lifetime?
7. Explain the role of flashbacks in the story.
8. How does the Day 6, Evening Chapter begin?
9. How is the staffing situation at Darlington Hall different from the time Miss Kenton had worked there?
10. What occasion does Stevens recall where the silver altered the apprehensive nature of a guest?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)