|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Stevens does not want people to get the idea that he is ___________________ about working for Lord Darlington.
2. What is Mr. Stevens' demeanor?
(b) Very proper
3. What is Miss Kenton's name now that she is married?
(a) Mrs. Berne
(b) Mrs. Burnap
(c) Mrs. Benn
(d) Mrs. Benjamin
4. To what does Stevens compare being asked about a former employer in the presence of a current one?
(a) Being caught shoplifting
(b) A divorced woman with her current husband present
(c) Being stopped by a police officer
(d) A student in the principal's office
5. Where does Stevens go to admire some natural beauty?
(a) A hilltop
(b) A nearby pond
(c) A woods
(d) A meadow
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stevens fear will belie his true feelings about Lord Darlington?
2. When did Lord Darlington host a conference of important men from around the world?
3. Many people associated with the butler profession say that either a man has _______________________ or he does not.
4. What does Stevens answer when asked if he had ever worked for Lord Darlington?
5. How can Stevens' father's demeanor best be described?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the symbolism and foreshadowing in this chapter.
2. What happens when Stevens runs out of fuel and is nowhere near a filling station?
3. Why is Stevens a little apprehensive about his meeting with Miss Kenton?
4. Describe Stevens' demeanor and bearing.
5. What does Stevens learn is the primary point to be accomplished at the conference?
6. Why does Stevens return again and again in his mind to his reluctance to admit to being employed by Lord Darlington?
7. What does Stevens encounter the next morning that reminds him of serving in a great household?
8. Why does Miss Kenton not follow through on her threat to resign?
9. How is the staffing situation at Darlington Hall different from the time Miss Kenton had worked there?
10. In addition to his mental state, the pond scene also symbolizes Stevens' life as a whole. Explain.
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)