|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Stevens go for help?
(a) The next town
(b) A service station
(c) A nearby farm
(d) A large Victorian house
2. Where did Stevens spend the night?
(a) A bed and breakfast in Devonshire
(b) A guest house in Salisbury
(c) A Holiday Inn
(d) A 4-star hotel in London
3. What does Stevens tell his father after the accident?
(a) His father needs to see a doctor
(b) His father needs a month-long holiday
(c) The elder Mr. Stevens' duties have to be reassigned
(d) The elder Mr. Stevens can no longer work at Darlington
4. What does Stevens consider it to be to talk about a former employer?
(a) Casual conversation
5. Mr. Stevens is not comfortable with American ________________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the topic of the conference?
2. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
3. What question does Stevens ponder as he drives?
4. Why does Miss Kenton interrupt the conference to beckon Stevens out of the room?
5. Mr. Farraday's comment makes Mr. Stevens feel __________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Miss Kenton not follow through on her threat to resign?
2. What is the significance of the conversation Stevens has with a stranger on the pier?
3. What irony or insult to Lord Darlington does Stevens think about when recalling the German ambassador's visit?
4. Why is the meeting between Stevens and Miss Kenton so poignant?
5. What are the circumstances of the elder Mr. Stevens coming to work at Darlington Hall?
6. What is Stevens' position on whether a man has innate dignity or not.
7. Describe Stevens' behavior and thoughts while his father is ill during the conference.
8. What is the relationship between Stevens and Mr. Farraday?
9. What does Stevens encounter the next morning that reminds him of serving in a great household?
10. What event occurs to force a change in the elder Mr. Stevens' role at Darlington Hall?
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)