|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the overall goal of the conference?
(a) Freeze German reparation payments and withdraw French troops
(b) Discuss the demise of the British monarchy
(c) Establish the United Nations
(d) Determine who should be the next ruler of Germany
2. How can Stevens' personality be described?
3. What does the elder Mr. Stevens tell Stevens?
(a) He loves him and is proud of him
(b) He wants to make out his will
(c) Stevens should marry Miss Kenton
(d) He would like some wine with dinner
4. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
(a) New books
(b) New car
(c) New luggage
(d) New clothes
5. What does Stevens fear will belie his true feelings about Lord Darlington?
(a) Melancholy musings
(c) Little white lies
Short Answer Questions
1. By what is a great household judged?
2. The Prologue is written about what time?
3. Stevens does not want people to get the idea that he is ___________________ about working for Lord Darlington.
4. What does Mr. Faraday call Mr. Stevens when he learns of Mr. Stevens' plans to visit Miss Kenton?
5. What does Mr. Stevens consider critical to his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the story line in THE REMAINS OF THE DAY.
2. Describe Stevens' demeanor and bearing.
3. How does Miss Kenton react to the news that Stevens had also been upset by the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
4. How does Miss Kenton's assertive behavior make Stevens uncomfortable when she enters the butler's pantry one night?
5. Describe Stevens' plans for his road trip.
6. Describe Stevens' behavior and thoughts while his father is ill during the conference.
7. Who is Mr. Cardinal and what does Stevens recall about him?
8. What does Stevens learn is the primary point to be accomplished at the conference?
9. How is the staffing situation at Darlington Hall different from the time Miss Kenton had worked there?
10. What is the significance of the March 23 conference hosted by Lord Darlington?
This section contains 1,137 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)