|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the best butler Stevens has ever seen?
(a) His father
(b) His grandfather
(c) His mentor
(d) His uncle
2. Stevens realizes that he is ______________ when asked about employment with Lord Darlington.
3. To what does Stevens compare himself?
(a) The great butlers of the past
(b) His mentor
(c) The Queen's butler
(d) His father
4. Why does Stevens' answer put Mr. Farraday in an awkward spot?
(a) The staff should not speak unless spoken to
(b) Mr. Farraday did not like Lord Darlington
(c) Mr. Farraday had told his guests about Stevens' career with Lord Darlington
(d) Mr. Farraday does not want Stevens speaking to his guests
5. How does the encounter with the old man at the forest symbolize Stevens' personality?
(a) He is kind-hearted
(b) He can't see the forest for the trees
(c) He is always headed in the wrong direction
(d) He is on the edge of the road
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Treaty of Versailles
2. How can Stevens' father's demeanor best be described?
3. Why does Stevens awaken early?
4. What quality does Stevens thinks makes a good butler?
5. What does this road trip supply for Stevens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stevens finally justify his time spent with Lord Darlington?
2. What irony or insult to Lord Darlington does Stevens think about when recalling the German ambassador's visit?
3. Describe the role that integrity and contributions to society contribute toward making a household a great one.
4. Explain the symbolism and foreshadowing in this chapter.
5. What is Miss Kenton's reaction to the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
6. How does Miss Kenton react to the news that Stevens had also been upset by the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
7. Describe the role that professionalism and loyalty serve in Stevens' life.
8. What is the significance of the conversation Stevens has with a stranger on the pier?
9. When does Stevens first get a glimpse of Lord Darlington's Nazi sympathies?
10. Describe Stevens' plans for his road trip.
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)