|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are the elder Mr. Stevens' tasks outlined?
(a) On a piece of paper
(b) On a memo pad
(c) On a chalkboard
(d) In a journal
2. How much has Mr. Stevens traveled in his life?
(b) Once every six months
(c) Once a month
(d) Very little
3. How can Stevens' personality be described?
4. What quality does Stevens thinks makes a good butler?
5. What does Miss Kenton insinuate in her letter?
(a) That she has always loved Stevens
(b) That her husband has committed adultery
(c) She may want to return to work at Darlington Hall
(d) That she has three children
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stevens go to admire some natural beauty?
2. When did Lord Darlington host a conference of important men from around the world?
3. Where did Stevens spend the night?
4. By what is Stevens conflicted?
5. What does Mr. Faraday call Mr. Stevens when he learns of Mr. Stevens' plans to visit Miss Kenton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Miss Kenton's reaction to the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
2. Explain the role of flashbacks in the story.
3. How does Miss Kenton react to the news that Stevens had also been upset by the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
4. How does Stevens feel about visiting the small pond?
5. What is the significance of the conversation Stevens has with a stranger on the pier?
6. What irony or insult to Lord Darlington does Stevens think about when recalling the German ambassador's visit?
7. Why does Stevens evade the question about being employed by Lord Darlington at one time?
8. Describe Stevens' behavior and thoughts while his father is ill during the conference.
9. Explain the nature of Miss Kenton's letter to Stevens.
10. What surprising news does Miss Kenton give Stevens on this night?
This section contains 1,277 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)