|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lord Darlington's hope for the conference?
(a) That it will start on time
(b) That everyone will have a good time
(c) That it will be the last one he has to host
(d) Develop a coalition to provide aid to Germany
2. Who is the best butler Stevens has ever seen?
(a) His father
(b) His grandfather
(c) His mentor
(d) His uncle
3. What does Stevens fear will belie his true feelings about Lord Darlington?
(b) Melancholy musings
(c) Little white lies
4. To what does Stevens compare being asked about a former employer in the presence of a current one?
(a) Being stopped by a police officer
(b) A student in the principal's office
(c) Being caught shoplifting
(d) A divorced woman with her current husband present
5. How does the encounter with the old man at the forest symbolize Stevens' personality?
(a) He is kind-hearted
(b) He can't see the forest for the trees
(c) He is on the edge of the road
(d) He is always headed in the wrong direction
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
2. Why does Miss Kenton interrupt the conference to beckon Stevens out of the room?
3. By what is Stevens conflicted?
4. What is the state of the relationship between Mr. Stevens and Mr. Faraday?
5. What does the elder Mr. Stevens tell Stevens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Stevens' demeanor and bearing.
2. What irony or insult to Lord Darlington does Stevens think about when recalling the German ambassador's visit?
3. What are Stevens' thoughts about being a good butler?
4. In addition to his mental state, the pond scene also symbolizes Stevens' life as a whole. Explain.
5. Who is Lisa and why does her presence create such a stir at Darlington Hall?
6. Why does Stevens evade the question about being employed by Lord Darlington at one time?
7. What was the nature of Stevens' meeting with Miss Kenton?
8. Describe what happens when Stevens parks the car to view an unfamiliar spot on his trip.
9. What are the circumstances of the elder Mr. Stevens coming to work at Darlington Hall?
10. What is the significance of the March 23 conference hosted by Lord Darlington?
This section contains 1,250 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)