|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Voicing his comparisons of himself to other butlers would be ____________.
2. What does Stevens fear will belie his true feelings about Lord Darlington?
(a) Little white lies
(b) Melancholy musings
3. Who is Miss Kenton?
(a) Mr. Stevens' sister
(b) A chef at Darlington Hall
(c) Mr. Faraday's assistant
(d) A former housekeeper at Darlington Hall
4. What is the overall goal of the conference?
(a) Discuss the demise of the British monarchy
(b) Freeze German reparation payments and withdraw French troops
(c) Establish the United Nations
(d) Determine who should be the next ruler of Germany
5. Where does Stevens go for help?
(a) A nearby farm
(b) A service station
(c) A large Victorian house
(d) The next town
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stevens, a butler must have ________________________ as well as a working knowledge on a number of subjects.
2. According to Stevens, what is another characteristic of a great butler?
3. How long has Mr. Stevens been employed in this position?
4. What is Stevens able to do in his position of head butler at the conference?
5. When Mr. Stevens encounters an old man on the road, what does the old man say?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Stevens' plans for his road trip.
2. Who is Mr. Cardinal and what does Stevens recall about him?
3. Describe Stevens' behavior and thoughts while his father is ill during the conference.
4. How does the scene at the pond indicate Stevens' state of mind during his road trip?
5. What are the circumstances of the elder Mr. Stevens coming to work at Darlington Hall?
6. Why does Stevens return again and again in his mind to his reluctance to admit to being employed by Lord Darlington?
7. What concerns does Mr. Cardinal have regarding Lord Darlington?
8. Who is Lisa and why does her presence create such a stir at Darlington Hall?
9. What happens when Stevens runs out of fuel and is nowhere near a filling station?
10. What surprising news does Miss Kenton give Stevens on this night?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)