|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the current number of staff at Darlington Hall?
2. What happens when Stevens returns to his duties at the conference?
(a) The elder Mr. Stevens dies
(b) The delegates leave to play golf
(c) The men take an afternoon break
(d) The conference ends early
3. How does Stevens recall the time of the conference?
(a) Something that he hopes will not be repeated
(b) With relief that it is over
(c) One of the worst times of his life
(d) With pride for persevering personally and professionally
4. Where does Stevens go to admire some natural beauty?
(a) A woods
(b) A nearby pond
(c) A hilltop
(d) A meadow
5. What is the topic of the conference?
(a) The oil crisis
(b) Global warming
(c) Germany's reparations after World War I
(d) The British Empire expansion
Short Answer Questions
1. How much has Mr. Stevens traveled in his life?
2. How does the encounter with the old man at the forest symbolize Stevens' personality?
3. What can be enjoyed at the top of the hill?
4. What does Stevens consider it to be to talk about a former employer?
5. What is Mr. Stevens considering at point in time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the butler profession changed since the days of Steven's father's time in the job?
2. What benefit does the road trip provide for Stevens?
3. What is the significance of the novel's final scene in which Stevens waits for the lights on the pier to come on?
4. How has Stevens' road trip been both beneficial and uncomfortable for him?
5. Explain Stevens' personal complications during the time of the conference.
6. When does Stevens first get a glimpse of Lord Darlington's Nazi sympathies?
7. How is the staffing situation at Darlington Hall different from the time Miss Kenton had worked there?
8. Explain the role of flashbacks in the story.
9. Describe Stevens' demeanor and bearing.
10. Why does Stevens evade the question about being employed by Lord Darlington at one time?
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)