|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What quality does Stevens thinks makes a good butler?
2. The old man tells Stevens that it may be his last chance to ___________________________.
(a) travel on this road
(b) take in such a spectacular view
(c) sleep at his inn
(d) eat at his restaurant
3. What was the number of staff employed at Darlington Hall 20 years ago?
4. When did Lord Darlington host a conference of important men from around the world?
(a) May 1925
(b) March 1923
(c) April 1923
(d) March 1939
5. Under whom did Stevens train as a butler?
(a) His own father
(b) A professional services organization
(c) The Queen's butler
(d) His grandfather
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be enjoyed at the top of the hill?
2. What is the state of the relationship between Mr. Stevens and Mr. Faraday?
3. What is the state of Miss Kenton's marriage?
4. What literary device does the author use when describing Stevens' last chance to see a spectacular view?
5. What does the car need?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the elder Mr. Stevens affected Stevens and the relationship the two ultimately share?
2. What are the rumors related to Lard Darlington's sympathies for the Nazis?
3. What is the significance of the conversation Stevens has with a stranger on the pier?
4. What are Stevens' thoughts about being a good butler?
5. What irony or insult to Lord Darlington does Stevens think about when recalling the German ambassador's visit?
6. How do Miss Kenton's personality and work style challenge Stevens at first?
7. How does Stevens finally justify his time spent with Lord Darlington?
8. What was the nature of Stevens' meeting with Miss Kenton?
9. How does Stevens feel about visiting the small pond?
10. What is the extent of Stevens' travels during his lifetime?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)