|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does Stevens ponder as he drives?
(a) Did he turn in the grocer's order?
(b) Did he turn off the oven?
(c) What qualities makes a good butler?
(d) Did he polish the silver?
2. What has been the nature of Mr. Stevens' trips?
(a) Outings for professional duties
(b) Annual vacations
(c) Family holidays
(d) Family vacations
3. Who is in charge of staffing at Darlington Hall?
(a) Mr. Faraday
(b) Mr. Stevens
(c) Lord Darlington
(d) Miss Kenton
4. How does Stevens feel about serving at Darlington Hall for so many years?
5. What does Stevens think about in the time before breakfast?
(a) A noise the car made
(b) Miss Kenton's letter
(c) Buying an umbrella
(d) Getting directions
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Mr. Stevens consult before leaving on his trip?
2. How can Stevens' personality be described?
3. What does Miss Kenton insinuate in her letter?
4. What happens to the car as Stevens continues on his trip?
5. How many dignitaries are expected?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Miss Kenton react to the news that Stevens had also been upset by the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
2. Explain the symbolism and foreshadowing in this chapter.
3. What are Stevens' continuing thoughts on what makes a great butler?
4. Why does Stevens return again and again in his mind to his reluctance to admit to being employed by Lord Darlington?
5. What surprising news does Miss Kenton give Stevens on this night?
6. How does Stevens finally justify his time spent with Lord Darlington?
7. What benefit does the road trip provide for Stevens?
8. Why is the meeting between Stevens and Miss Kenton so poignant?
9. What are the circumstances of the elder Mr. Stevens coming to work at Darlington Hall?
10. How is Stevens' reserve shown regarding Miss Kenton's letter?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)