|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what country does Mr. Stevens life?
(c) United States
2. Why has Stevens missed out on a normal life?
(a) He is devoted to his job
(b) He is too shy to get married
(c) He does not drive
(d) He does not like meeting new people
3. Where does Stevens go to admire some natural beauty?
(a) A nearby pond
(b) A woods
(c) A meadow
(d) A hilltop
4. Mr. Stevens is not comfortable with American ________________.
5. The Prologue is written about what time?
(a) July 1956
(b) September 1954
(c) April 1956
(d) May 1957
Short Answer Questions
1. Who assists Stevens with his problem?
2. Mr. Farraday's comment makes Mr. Stevens feel __________________.
3. How much has Mr. Stevens traveled in his life?
4. What had Stevens said about employment by Lord Darlington when asked by a guest of Mr. Farraday's?
5. According to Stevens, a butler must have ________________________ as well as a working knowledge on a number of subjects.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the scene at the pond indicate Stevens' state of mind during his road trip?
2. Why does Stevens return again and again in his mind to his reluctance to admit to being employed by Lord Darlington?
3. What surprising news does Miss Kenton reveal to Stevens?
4. What was the nature of Stevens' meeting with Miss Kenton?
5. What are Stevens' thoughts about being a good butler?
6. Describe the story line in THE REMAINS OF THE DAY.
7. Describe Miss Kenton's situation.
8. How has Stevens' road trip been both beneficial and uncomfortable for him?
9. Explain the nature of Miss Kenton's letter to Stevens.
10. How does the novel begin?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)