|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mr. Stevens encounters an old man on the road, what does the old man say?
(a) He invites Stevens into the woods to enjoy the view
(b) He needs a ride to the next town
(c) He prefers to walk
(d) He is waiting on a bus
2. What does Mr. Stevens consider critical to his work?
(c) Organizational skills
3. What does the doctor do after attending to the elder Mr. Stevens?
(a) Writes out a bill
(b) Has tea with Lord Darlington
(c) Attends the French delegate who has a foot problem
(d) Plays golf with the delegates
4. What does Stevens tell his father after the accident?
(a) His father needs a month-long holiday
(b) His father needs to see a doctor
(c) The elder Mr. Stevens can no longer work at Darlington
(d) The elder Mr. Stevens' duties have to be reassigned
5. When did Lord Darlington host a conference of important men from around the world?
(a) May 1925
(b) April 1923
(c) March 1939
(d) March 1923
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does Mr. Faraday want to invest for Darlington Hall?
2. What is the Treaty of Versailles
3. How does Stevens feel about serving at Darlington Hall for so many years?
4. Where did Stevens spend the night?
5. What is the state of the relationship between Mr. Stevens and Mr. Faraday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Stevens and Mr. Farraday?
2. How has the butler profession changed since the days of Steven's father's time in the job?
3. When does Stevens first get a glimpse of Lord Darlington's Nazi sympathies?
4. How does Stevens finally justify his time spent with Lord Darlington?
5. How does Miss Kenton react to the news that Stevens had also been upset by the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
6. How has Stevens' road trip been both beneficial and uncomfortable for him?
7. Describe Stevens' plans for his road trip.
8. What concerns does Mr. Cardinal have regarding Lord Darlington?
9. How do Miss Kenton's personality and work style challenge Stevens at first?
10. Why is the meeting between Stevens and Miss Kenton so poignant?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)