|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what is Stevens conflicted?
(a) Duty and opinions
(b) Gossip and personal observations
(c) Duty and personal observations
(d) Questions and opinions
2. When did Lord Darlington host a conference of important men from around the world?
(a) April 1923
(b) March 1939
(c) March 1923
(d) May 1925
3. Stevens' behavior indicates that he is haunted by ______________________.
(a) some ethical situation
(b) a lost love
(c) ghosts in the mansion
(d) feelings for his father
4. What does Miss Kenton insinuate in her letter?
(a) That her husband has committed adultery
(b) She may want to return to work at Darlington Hall
(c) That she has always loved Stevens
(d) That she has three children
5. What is the current number of staff at Darlington Hall?
Short Answer Questions
1. Under whom did Stevens train as a butler?
2. What does Mr. Stevens consider critical to his work?
3. In what country does Mr. Stevens life?
4. According to Stevens, a good butler is probably born with ______________, as it is something that cannot be taught.
5. Where does Stevens go for help?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stevens do after finding out that Mr. Cardinal plans to stay the night.
2. What irony or insult to Lord Darlington does Stevens think about when recalling the German ambassador's visit?
3. Why does Stevens return again and again in his mind to his reluctance to admit to being employed by Lord Darlington?
4. What benefit does the road trip provide for Stevens?
5. When does Stevens first get a glimpse of Lord Darlington's Nazi sympathies?
6. Describe Miss Kenton's situation.
7. What is the significance of the conversation Stevens has with a stranger on the pier?
8. What is the significance of the March 23 conference hosted by Lord Darlington?
9. How does Miss Kenton react to the news that Stevens had also been upset by the dismissal of the Jewish girls?
10. Describe Stevens' plans for his road trip.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)