|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Kenton tell Stevens before she leaves for the evening?
(a) A suitor has asked her to marry him
(b) She wants a day off
(c) She needs to hire a new maid
(d) She has the menus prepared for the next month
2. How long did Stevens and Miss Kenton meet?
(a) The whole afternoon
(b) Two hours
(c) Three hours
(d) One hour
3. Who must inform Stevens inform of Lord Darlington's decision?
(a) The maids
(b) The upstairs staff
(c) Miss Kenton
(d) The kitchen staff
4. Who is the maid that Miss Kenton hires despite Stevens' misgivings?
5. What topic does Stevens bring up with Miss Kenton in the summerhouse?
(a) The menus for the week
(b) Her threat of resignation
(c) A party that Lord Darlington wants to host
(d) The attire of the downstairs staff
6. Lord Darlington had withdrawn from what group?
(a) British Union of Fascists
(c) Communist party
(d) Nazi party
7. How does Stevens react to the revelation?
(b) No reaction
8. What changed the ambassador's demeanor?
(a) The excellence of the silver
(b) Fine cigars
(d) A fine meal
9. What did some of the dinner guests later say about Lord Darlington?
(a) He had many affairs
(b) He lost his fortune
(c) He abused the staff
(d) He hosted Nazis
10. What event does Stevens recall as he waits for Miss Kenton?
(a) His first day of work at Darlington Hall
(b) The night that Lord Darlington's godson arrived unexpectedly
(c) The dismissal of more Jewish girls
(d) The death of his father
11. What does Lisa do in less than a year at Darlington Hall?
(b) Gets terminated
(c) Runs off with the second footman
(d) Gets promoted to upstairs maid
12. What beverage do Stevens and Miss Kenton enjoy each evening?
(a) Hot cocoa
13. Why does Stevens go to Miss Kenton's room?
(a) To give Miss Kenton some news about a maid
(b) To get the menus for an upcoming event
(c) To tell her that Lord Darlington's godson needs a room for the night
(d) To take Miss Kenton some hot chocolate
14. What is Stevens doing in the butler's pantry when Miss Kenton enters one evening?
(a) Having a snack
(b) Taking a nap
(c) Drinking wine
(d) Reading a book
15. What has Lord Darlington asked Stevens to do?
(a) Terminate Miss Kenton
(b) Arrange a birthday celebration for a friend
(c) Pick up a gift at the jeweler's
(d) Find the Jewish girls and give them some compensation
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stevens ponder again?
2. What town does Stevens explore in the morning?
3. The doctor had believed in ________________ until he had met the people of his town.
4. What does Lord Darlington's godson try to get Stevens to admit?
5. What does Miss Kenton reveal to Stevens?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)