|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lord Darlington had withdrawn from what group?
(b) British Union of Fascists
(c) Nazi party
(d) Communist party
2. How long did Stevens and Miss Kenton meet?
(a) Two hours
(b) One hour
(c) Three hours
(d) The whole afternoon
3. What does Lord Darlington's godson try to get Stevens to admit?
(a) Who Lord Darlington's guests are
(b) How much brandy Lord Darlington drinks every night
(c) Who the cute downstairs maid is
(d) If he has ever been married
4. Who does Stevens talk to on the pier?
(a) A dockworker
(b) A postal worker
(c) Another butler
(d) A fisherman
5. How does Stevens react to Miss Kenton's news?
(a) His hopes are dashed
(b) He walks away in silence
(c) He pushes her to change her mind
(d) He does not react at all
6. What good news does Miss Kenton have about her daughter?
(a) She has just received her law degree
(b) She just graduated college
(c) She is engaged to be married
(d) She is expecting a child
7. What does Lord Darlington's godson attempt to learn from Lord Darlington at dinner?
(a) Who Lord Darlington's guests will be tonight
(b) Whether Lord Darlington has included his godson in his will
(c) With whom Lord Darlington is having an affair
(d) How Lord Darlington intends to vote in the next election
8. What is Stevens doing in Day 6, Evening?
(a) Driving back to Darlington Hall
(b) Sitting on a bench at a pier
(c) Having dinner at the hotel
(d) Checking out of the hotel
9. Why has Miss Kenton not left Darlington Hall?
(a) She is on a long-term contract
(b) She has nowhere else to go
(c) She has promised Lord Darlington she will stay
(d) She has not saved enough money yet
10. To what issue does Stevens return in his thoughts?
(a) Silver polish
(b) His father
(c) Miss Kenton's letter
(d) Lord Darlington's alleged anti-Semitism
11. What incident does Stevens recall?
(a) Lord Darlington gets a serious disease
(b) The elder Mr. Stevens gets cancer
(c) Two maids are dismissed because they are Jewish
(d) Miss Kenton takes a leave of absence
12. What is Miss Kenton doing when Stevens finds her in the summerhouse?
13. How long will it be before Stevens will once again see Miss Kenton?
(a) 48 hours
(b) 3 days
(c) 24 hours
(d) 1 week
14. What items seem to symbolize Stevens' recollection of the past?
(a) The trained staff
(b) The polished silver
(c) The fleet of vehicles
(d) The flower arrangements
15. What does Stevens decide about the answer to #113?
(a) Buy a new umbrella in the next town
(b) It is best not to speculate
(c) Stop at the next gas station
(d) Find silver polish at a lower price
Short Answer Questions
1. Stevens mentions that some of Miss Kenton's letters in the past indicated that _________________________________.
2. What does Stevens try to get Miss Kenton to understand?
3. What else does Stevens recall about the ambassador's visit?
4. What does Stevens tell Miss Kenton about Lord Darlington?
5. Miss Kenton passes off those letters as __________________________.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)