|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What changed the ambassador's demeanor?
(b) The excellence of the silver
(c) Fine cigars
(d) A fine meal
2. How long will it be before Stevens will once again see Miss Kenton?
(a) 24 hours
(b) 48 hours
(c) 3 days
(d) 1 week
3. What does Stevens ponder again?
(a) A new umbrella
(b) Miss Kenton's letter
(c) Gas for the car
(d) Silver polish prices
4. Miss Kenton passes off those letters as __________________________.
(a) the ramblings of a hysterical woman
(b) cathartic releases
(c) just a way to make Stevens jealous
(d) temporary frustrations in the adjustment to marriage
5. What incident does Stevens recall?
(a) Miss Kenton takes a leave of absence
(b) Lord Darlington gets a serious disease
(c) Two maids are dismissed because they are Jewish
(d) The elder Mr. Stevens gets cancer
6. What does Lisa do in less than a year at Darlington Hall?
(a) Gets terminated
(b) Gets promoted to upstairs maid
(c) Runs off with the second footman
7. How is Mr. Farraday different from Lord Darlington?
(a) He is a much younger man
(b) He has a better sense of humor
(c) He runs a much more casual household
(d) He is nonchalant about polishing the silver
8. What is Stevens doing in Day 6, Evening?
(a) Sitting on a bench at a pier
(b) Checking out of the hotel
(c) Driving back to Darlington Hall
(d) Having dinner at the hotel
9. What is the town where Miss Kenton lives?
(a) Little Compton
10. What does the butler tell Stevens?
(a) Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise
(b) The evening is the best part of the day
(c) All's well that ends well
(d) An apple a day keeps the doctor away
11. What is Stevens' demeanor regarding Lord Darlington?
(a) Lack of confidence
(b) Staunch support
12. The previous day, Stevens had been picked up by a doctor who brings ____________________.
(a) a map
(b) a picnic lunch
(c) fuel for Stevens' car
(d) his bag
13. What does Stevens decide about the answer to #113?
(a) Stop at the next gas station
(b) It is best not to speculate
(c) Find silver polish at a lower price
(d) Buy a new umbrella in the next town
14. Who does Stevens talk to on the pier?
(a) A postal worker
(b) A dockworker
(c) A fisherman
(d) Another butler
15. What does Stevens not allow himself to do regarding Lord Darlington?
(a) Drink any of the fine brandy
(b) Speak to him directly
(c) Ask for a vacation
(d) Entertain the idea that he was involved in horrific political events
Short Answer Questions
1. What town does Stevens explore in the morning?
2. Where is Stevens when he sees the sign?
3. How does Miss Kenton react to Lisa's actions?
4. How does Stevens react to the revelation?
5. Lord Darlington had withdrawn from what group?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)