|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lisa do in less than a year at Darlington Hall?
(a) Gets terminated
(b) Gets promoted to upstairs maid
(d) Runs off with the second footman
2. How does the answer to #125 react?
(c) Not surprised
3. What does Stevens recall when seeing the sign?
(a) Giffen was the silver polish of choice
(b) He wants to buy some tea
(c) He remembers a book he needs
(d) He needs a new raincoat
4. What does Stevens tell Miss Kenton about Lord Darlington?
(a) He will be leaving England soon
(b) He is secretly in love with Miss Kenton
(c) He has a terminal illness
(d) He admits to the injustice of dismissing the two maids
5. The previous day, Stevens had been picked up by a doctor who brings ____________________.
(a) his bag
(b) fuel for Stevens' car
(c) a map
(d) a picnic lunch
6. Stevens mentions that some of Miss Kenton's letters in the past indicated that _________________________________.
(a) she was in love with Stevens
(b) she never went through with the marriage
(c) she was unhappy in her marriage
(d) she was in love with Lord Darlington
7. How is Mr. Farraday different from Lord Darlington?
(a) He runs a much more casual household
(b) He is a much younger man
(c) He has a better sense of humor
(d) He is nonchalant about polishing the silver
8. How does Stevens react to the revelation?
(d) No reaction
9. What does Stevens tell Miss Kenton that shocks her?
(a) He has been in love with her for quite awhile
(b) Stevens is leaving Darlington Hall
(c) Miss Kenton has been dismissed
(d) He had also been upset about the dismissal of the Jewish girls
10. To what issue does Stevens return in his thoughts?
(a) Lord Darlington's alleged anti-Semitism
(b) Silver polish
(c) Miss Kenton's letter
(d) His father
11. On what topic does Miss Kenton chide Stevens?
(a) The lackluster silver
(b) The errors of the wait staff
(c) His new smoking jacket
(d) The new maid, Lisa
12. Stevens adamantly denies that Lord Darlington had __________________________.
(b) a gambling problem
(c) anti-Semite tendencies
(d) an extramarital affair
13. What does Miss Kenton say when Stevens asks her about her letter?
(a) She regrets sending the letter
(b) She is divorcing her husband
(c) She wants to come back to Darlington Hall
(d) She is happy with her husband and daughter
14. How does Miss Kenton react to Lisa's actions?
(a) She saw it coming
(b) She is distraught
(c) She is outraged
(d) She is guilty
15. Where does Stevens have tea?
(a) The Embassy Room
(b) The Rose Garden Hotel
(c) The Regent Room
(d) The Bradford Hotel
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the road trip allow Stevens to do?
2. What is Stevens doing in the butler's pantry when Miss Kenton enters one evening?
3. What is Stevens' demeanor regarding Lord Darlington?
4. Miss Kenton passes off those letters as __________________________.
5. Lord Darlington had withdrawn from what group?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)