|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lord Darlington had withdrawn from what group?
(a) Communist party
(b) British Union of Fascists
(c) Nazi party
2. Who was Lord Darlington's girlfriend?
(a) Princess Margaret
(b) Miss Kenton
(c) Carolyn Barnet
(d) Marlene Dietrich
3. What decision was Lord Darlington's girlfriend behind?
(a) The termination of employment of two Jewish maids
(b) Remodeling of the guest suites
(c) The purchase of new silver pieces
(d) The acquisition of new antiques
4. What good news does Miss Kenton have about her daughter?
(a) She has just received her law degree
(b) She just graduated college
(c) She is engaged to be married
(d) She is expecting a child
5. What does Miss Kenton tell Stevens before she leaves for the evening?
(a) She has the menus prepared for the next month
(b) She needs to hire a new maid
(c) She wants a day off
(d) A suitor has asked her to marry him
6. What kind of night does Stevens spend at the inn?
7. How does Stevens react to Miss Kenton's news?
(a) He professionally congratulates her
(b) He walks away from her
(c) He goes silent
(d) He launches into hysterics
8. Why has Miss Kenton not left Darlington Hall?
(a) She is on a long-term contract
(b) She has not saved enough money yet
(c) She has promised Lord Darlington she will stay
(d) She has nowhere else to go
9. What had the people in town thought Stevens to be?
(a) A lawyer
(b) A minister
(c) A dignitary
(d) A professor
10. What does Miss Kenton reveal to Stevens?
(a) She could never stand Lord Darlington
(b) She wondered how her life might have been if she and Stevens had shared a life
(c) She stole silverware before she left Darlington Hall
(d) She had an abortion while at Darlington Hall
11. What does Stevens try to get Miss Kenton to understand?
(a) The butlers are within his domain, not hers
(b) Personal feelings have no place in the running of the household
(c) Her household budgets are exceeding their limits
(d) The maids are wearing their uniforms too short
12. What does Lord Darlington's godson try to get Stevens to admit?
(a) Who Lord Darlington's guests are
(b) If he has ever been married
(c) How much brandy Lord Darlington drinks every night
(d) Who the cute downstairs maid is
13. What is Miss Kenton doing when Stevens finds her in the summerhouse?
14. What has Lord Darlington asked Stevens to do?
(a) Pick up a gift at the jeweler's
(b) Terminate Miss Kenton
(c) Find the Jewish girls and give them some compensation
(d) Arrange a birthday celebration for a friend
15. For what do the other people sitting on the pier wait?
(a) The arrival of the ferry
(b) The turning on of the pier lights
(c) The dance hall to open
(d) The opening of the bridge
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Mr. Farraday different from Lord Darlington?
2. What does Lord Darlington's godson attempt to learn from Lord Darlington at dinner?
3. What sign does Stevens see?
4. What does Stevens not allow himself to do regarding Lord Darlington?
5. What is Stevens doing in the butler's pantry when Miss Kenton enters one evening?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)