|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lisa leave for Miss Kenton?
(a) A pen
(b) A book
(c) A note
(d) A bouquet
2. How do Stevens and Miss Kenton part?
(a) They do not part
(b) They kiss goodbye in the rain
(c) He takes her to her bus stop
(d) Knowing they will never see each other again
3. What has Lord Darlington asked Stevens to do?
(a) Arrange a birthday celebration for a friend
(b) Find the Jewish girls and give them some compensation
(c) Pick up a gift at the jeweler's
(d) Terminate Miss Kenton
4. How long will it be before Stevens will once again see Miss Kenton?
(a) 48 hours
(b) 3 days
(c) 24 hours
(d) 1 week
5. How long did Stevens and Miss Kenton meet?
(a) Two hours
(b) Three hours
(c) One hour
(d) The whole afternoon
6. What can the doctor tell about Stevens by his demeanor?
(a) He is a manservant
(b) He is from Scotland
(c) He is apprehensive
(d) He is an educated man
7. What does Stevens ponder again?
(a) Gas for the car
(b) A new umbrella
(c) Silver polish prices
(d) Miss Kenton's letter
8. Why does Stevens go to Miss Kenton's room?
(a) To take Miss Kenton some hot chocolate
(b) To give Miss Kenton some news about a maid
(c) To tell her that Lord Darlington's godson needs a room for the night
(d) To get the menus for an upcoming event
9. How does Stevens react to Lisa's actions?
(a) Tells Miss Kenton that she had worked wonders with Lisa
(b) Tells Miss Kenton that he knew this would happen
(c) Derides Miss Kenton for making a poor hiring decision
(d) Threatens to not give her a positive reference
10. What does the polished silver indicate about Lord Darlington's household?
(b) Only the surface of things matters
(c) Obsessive compulsive behavior
(d) Many parties
11. Miss Kenton passes off those letters as __________________________.
(a) temporary frustrations in the adjustment to marriage
(b) the ramblings of a hysterical woman
(c) just a way to make Stevens jealous
(d) cathartic releases
12. Stevens remembers the visit of an ambassador from what country?
13. What does Miss Kenton report upon returning to Darlington Hall that evening?
(a) That her purse was stolen in town
(b) That she witnessed an accident in town
(c) That a storm is brewing
(d) That she has accepted a marriage proposal and will be leaving
14. What is the profession of Lord Darlington's godson?
15. How does Miss Kenton react to Lisa's actions?
(a) She is distraught
(b) She saw it coming
(c) She is guilty
(d) She is outraged
Short Answer Questions
1. For what do the other people sitting on the pier wait?
2. Who does Stevens talk to on the pier?
3. What event does Stevens recall as he waits for Miss Kenton?
4. What does Stevens not allow himself to do regarding Lord Darlington?
5. Stevens adamantly denies that Lord Darlington had __________________________.
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)