|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nature of Miss Kenton's family?
(a) She is an orphan
(b) She is an only child
(c) She has no family
(d) She is the youngest
2. What is the town where Miss Kenton lives?
(a) Little Compton
3. Who is the maid that Miss Kenton hires despite Stevens' misgivings?
4. What changed the ambassador's demeanor?
(a) Fine cigars
(b) A fine meal
(c) The excellence of the silver
5. What topic does Stevens bring up with Miss Kenton in the summerhouse?
(a) The attire of the downstairs staff
(b) The menus for the week
(c) A party that Lord Darlington wants to host
(d) Her threat of resignation
6. What does the polished silver indicate about Lord Darlington's household?
(a) Obsessive compulsive behavior
(b) Only the surface of things matters
(c) Many parties
7. How does Stevens react to Lisa's actions?
(a) Derides Miss Kenton for making a poor hiring decision
(b) Tells Miss Kenton that she had worked wonders with Lisa
(c) Tells Miss Kenton that he knew this would happen
(d) Threatens to not give her a positive reference
8. What does Lisa leave for Miss Kenton?
(a) A note
(b) A bouquet
(c) A pen
(d) A book
9. What does Stevens decide about the answer to #113?
(a) Buy a new umbrella in the next town
(b) Stop at the next gas station
(c) It is best not to speculate
(d) Find silver polish at a lower price
10. How does Stevens react to the revelation?
(b) No reaction
11. How does Miss Kenton react to Lisa's actions?
(a) She is outraged
(b) She is guilty
(c) She is distraught
(d) She saw it coming
12. What does the butler tell Stevens?
(a) An apple a day keeps the doctor away
(b) The evening is the best part of the day
(c) All's well that ends well
(d) Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise
13. What town does Stevens explore in the morning?
14. What does Stevens do as he waits for Miss Kenton?
(a) Talks with some tourists
(b) Does a crossword puzzle
(c) Reads the paper
(d) Sips tea and watches the rain
15. What are Stevens' inner feelings about the revelation?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Lord Darlington's girlfriend?
2. What is Miss Kenton doing when Stevens finds her in the summerhouse?
3. What had the people in town thought Stevens to be?
4. How does Stevens react to Miss Kenton's news?
5. Miss Kenton passes off those letters as __________________________.
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)