|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nature of Miss Kenton's family?
(a) She has no family
(b) She is the youngest
(c) She is an orphan
(d) She is an only child
2. What does Stevens tell Miss Kenton that shocks her?
(a) He had also been upset about the dismissal of the Jewish girls
(b) He has been in love with her for quite awhile
(c) Stevens is leaving Darlington Hall
(d) Miss Kenton has been dismissed
3. What decision was Lord Darlington's girlfriend behind?
(a) The termination of employment of two Jewish maids
(b) The acquisition of new antiques
(c) Remodeling of the guest suites
(d) The purchase of new silver pieces
4. How long did Stevens and Miss Kenton meet?
(a) Three hours
(b) One hour
(c) Two hours
(d) The whole afternoon
5. What does Stevens tell Miss Kenton about Lord Darlington?
(a) He will be leaving England soon
(b) He has a terminal illness
(c) He admits to the injustice of dismissing the two maids
(d) He is secretly in love with Miss Kenton
6. What items seem to symbolize Stevens' recollection of the past?
(a) The flower arrangements
(b) The trained staff
(c) The polished silver
(d) The fleet of vehicles
7. Where does Stevens have tea?
(a) The Embassy Room
(b) The Regent Room
(c) The Rose Garden Hotel
(d) The Bradford Hotel
8. How does Stevens react to Miss Kenton's news?
(a) He goes silent
(b) He walks away from her
(c) He professionally congratulates her
(d) He launches into hysterics
9. What does Stevens secretly think about Lord Darlington?
(a) He is gay
(b) He may have been involved in Nazi activities
(c) He is cheap
(d) He is very ill
10. What did some of the dinner guests later say about Lord Darlington?
(a) He lost his fortune
(b) He had many affairs
(c) He abused the staff
(d) He hosted Nazis
11. What does the butler tell Stevens?
(a) An apple a day keeps the doctor away
(b) The evening is the best part of the day
(c) Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise
(d) All's well that ends well
12. How does the answer to #125 react?
(b) Not surprised
13. In days past, what would indicate the greatness of a household?
(a) The quality of the food
(b) The maintenance of the grounds
(c) The sheen on the silver
(d) The number of parties held
14. How does Miss Kenton react to Lisa's actions?
(a) She is outraged
(b) She is distraught
(c) She saw it coming
(d) She is guilty
15. What does Miss Kenton reveal to Stevens?
(a) She stole silverware before she left Darlington Hall
(b) She could never stand Lord Darlington
(c) She wondered how her life might have been if she and Stevens had shared a life
(d) She had an abortion while at Darlington Hall
Short Answer Questions
1. What good news does Miss Kenton have about her daughter?
2. Why does Stevens begin to doubt that Miss Kenton will show up?
3. How does Stevens react to the revelation?
4. Stevens adamantly denies that Lord Darlington had __________________________.
5. Stevens mentions that some of Miss Kenton's letters in the past indicated that _________________________________.
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)