|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Kenton reveal to Stevens?
(a) She wondered how her life might have been if she and Stevens had shared a life
(b) She stole silverware before she left Darlington Hall
(c) She had an abortion while at Darlington Hall
(d) She could never stand Lord Darlington
2. What does the road trip allow Stevens to do?
(a) Reflect on the time employed by Lord Darlington
(b) Sleep in charming inns
(c) Visit different tearooms
(d) Take some pictures for his scrapbooks
3. What does Stevens secretly think about Lord Darlington?
(a) He is gay
(b) He is cheap
(c) He is very ill
(d) He may have been involved in Nazi activities
4. What is the town where Miss Kenton lives?
(d) Little Compton
5. What had the people in town thought Stevens to be?
(a) A professor
(b) A minister
(c) A dignitary
(d) A lawyer
6. What else does Stevens recall about the ambassador's visit?
(a) He wanted cognanc and cigars in his room each night
(b) Many people wanted to be dinner guests with him
(c) He was demanding about his clothing
(d) He would sleep past noon
7. What is the profession of Lord Darlington's godson?
8. What does Lisa do in less than a year at Darlington Hall?
(a) Gets promoted to upstairs maid
(b) Runs off with the second footman
(d) Gets terminated
9. What has Lord Darlington asked Stevens to do?
(a) Find the Jewish girls and give them some compensation
(b) Pick up a gift at the jeweler's
(c) Terminate Miss Kenton
(d) Arrange a birthday celebration for a friend
10. What sign does Stevens see?
(a) Royal Tea
(b) Giffen Silver Polish Company
11. What does the polished silver indicate about Lord Darlington's household?
(a) Many parties
(c) Only the surface of things matters
(d) Obsessive compulsive behavior
12. The doctor had believed in ________________ until he had met the people of his town.
13. What town does Stevens explore in the morning?
14. On what topic does Miss Kenton chide Stevens?
(a) The errors of the wait staff
(b) The new maid, Lisa
(c) The lackluster silver
(d) His new smoking jacket
15. What does Miss Kenton tell Stevens before she leaves for the evening?
(a) She wants a day off
(b) She has the menus prepared for the next month
(c) A suitor has asked her to marry him
(d) She needs to hire a new maid
Short Answer Questions
1. What incident does Stevens recall?
2. Why does Stevens begin to doubt that Miss Kenton will show up?
3. What does the doctor ask Stevens' for his view on?
4. What does Miss Kenton report upon returning to Darlington Hall that evening?
5. Stevens adamantly denies that Lord Darlington had __________________________.
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)