|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What else does Stevens recall about the ambassador's visit?
(a) Many people wanted to be dinner guests with him
(b) He wanted cognanc and cigars in his room each night
(c) He would sleep past noon
(d) He was demanding about his clothing
2. What does Stevens decide about the answer to #113?
(a) Buy a new umbrella in the next town
(b) Find silver polish at a lower price
(c) Stop at the next gas station
(d) It is best not to speculate
3. What does Stevens ponder again?
(a) Miss Kenton's letter
(b) Gas for the car
(c) A new umbrella
(d) Silver polish prices
4. Where is Stevens when he sees the sign?
5. The doctor had believed in ________________ until he had met the people of his town.
6. What does Stevens do as he waits for Miss Kenton?
(a) Does a crossword puzzle
(b) Reads the paper
(c) Sips tea and watches the rain
(d) Talks with some tourists
7. What does Stevens tell Miss Kenton about Lord Darlington?
(a) He has a terminal illness
(b) He is secretly in love with Miss Kenton
(c) He admits to the injustice of dismissing the two maids
(d) He will be leaving England soon
8. What does Lord Darlington's godson attempt to learn from Lord Darlington at dinner?
(a) Whether Lord Darlington has included his godson in his will
(b) With whom Lord Darlington is having an affair
(c) How Lord Darlington intends to vote in the next election
(d) Who Lord Darlington's guests will be tonight
9. What is the town where Miss Kenton lives?
(a) Little Compton
10. What does Miss Kenton tell Stevens before she leaves for the evening?
(a) She has the menus prepared for the next month
(b) She wants a day off
(c) She needs to hire a new maid
(d) A suitor has asked her to marry him
11. What does Stevens try to get Miss Kenton to understand?
(a) The butlers are within his domain, not hers
(b) Personal feelings have no place in the running of the household
(c) The maids are wearing their uniforms too short
(d) Her household budgets are exceeding their limits
12. What does Stevens tell Miss Kenton that shocks her?
(a) Miss Kenton has been dismissed
(b) He had also been upset about the dismissal of the Jewish girls
(c) He has been in love with her for quite awhile
(d) Stevens is leaving Darlington Hall
13. In days past, what would indicate the greatness of a household?
(a) The number of parties held
(b) The quality of the food
(c) The sheen on the silver
(d) The maintenance of the grounds
14. What does Miss Kenton report upon returning to Darlington Hall that evening?
(a) That she witnessed an accident in town
(b) That a storm is brewing
(c) That her purse was stolen in town
(d) That she has accepted a marriage proposal and will be leaving
15. To what issue does Stevens return in his thoughts?
(a) Silver polish
(b) Lord Darlington's alleged anti-Semitism
(c) His father
(d) Miss Kenton's letter
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Stevens and Miss Kenton meet?
2. What is Stevens doing in Day 6, Evening?
3. What kind of night does Stevens spend at the inn?
4. What is Stevens doing in the butler's pantry when Miss Kenton enters one evening?
5. What does the doctor ask Stevens' for his view on?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)