|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stevens react to Miss Kenton's news?
(a) He pushes her to change her mind
(b) He walks away in silence
(c) He does not react at all
(d) His hopes are dashed
2. How does Miss Kenton react to Lisa's actions?
(a) She is outraged
(b) She is distraught
(c) She is guilty
(d) She saw it coming
3. What does the doctor ask Stevens' for his view on?
4. In days past, what would indicate the greatness of a household?
(a) The sheen on the silver
(b) The number of parties held
(c) The quality of the food
(d) The maintenance of the grounds
5. What does the polished silver indicate about Lord Darlington's household?
(a) Only the surface of things matters
(b) Obsessive compulsive behavior
(d) Many parties
6. How long did Stevens and Miss Kenton meet?
(a) One hour
(b) Two hours
(c) The whole afternoon
(d) Three hours
7. What else does Stevens recall about the ambassador's visit?
(a) He was demanding about his clothing
(b) He would sleep past noon
(c) Many people wanted to be dinner guests with him
(d) He wanted cognanc and cigars in his room each night
8. What does Miss Kenton tell Stevens before she leaves for the evening?
(a) She has the menus prepared for the next month
(b) She wants a day off
(c) A suitor has asked her to marry him
(d) She needs to hire a new maid
9. What does Stevens try to get Miss Kenton to understand?
(a) The maids are wearing their uniforms too short
(b) Her household budgets are exceeding their limits
(c) The butlers are within his domain, not hers
(d) Personal feelings have no place in the running of the household
10. What sign does Stevens see?
(a) Giffen Silver Polish Company
(c) Royal Tea
11. What does Miss Kenton report upon returning to Darlington Hall that evening?
(a) That a storm is brewing
(b) That she has accepted a marriage proposal and will be leaving
(c) That her purse was stolen in town
(d) That she witnessed an accident in town
12. What does Stevens decide about the answer to #113?
(a) Buy a new umbrella in the next town
(b) Find silver polish at a lower price
(c) It is best not to speculate
(d) Stop at the next gas station
13. What kind of night does Stevens spend at the inn?
14. What changed the ambassador's demeanor?
(a) The excellence of the silver
(b) Fine cigars
(d) A fine meal
15. What does the butler tell Stevens?
(a) Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise
(b) All's well that ends well
(c) An apple a day keeps the doctor away
(d) The evening is the best part of the day
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lord Darlington's godson attempt to learn from Lord Darlington at dinner?
2. How does Stevens react to Miss Kenton's news?
3. What did some of the dinner guests later say about Lord Darlington?
4. What incident does Stevens recall?
5. What does Stevens secretly think about Lord Darlington?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)