|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stevens do as he waits for Miss Kenton?
(a) Reads the paper
(b) Sips tea and watches the rain
(c) Does a crossword puzzle
(d) Talks with some tourists
2. What is Stevens doing in the butler's pantry when Miss Kenton enters one evening?
(a) Taking a nap
(b) Drinking wine
(c) Reading a book
(d) Having a snack
3. Who is the maid that Miss Kenton hires despite Stevens' misgivings?
4. What town does Stevens explore in the morning?
5. What changed the ambassador's demeanor?
(b) The excellence of the silver
(c) Fine cigars
(d) A fine meal
6. Stevens mentions that some of Miss Kenton's letters in the past indicated that _________________________________.
(a) she never went through with the marriage
(b) she was unhappy in her marriage
(c) she was in love with Stevens
(d) she was in love with Lord Darlington
7. What good news does Miss Kenton have about her daughter?
(a) She just graduated college
(b) She is expecting a child
(c) She has just received her law degree
(d) She is engaged to be married
8. What are Stevens' inner feelings about the revelation?
9. Miss Kenton passes off those letters as __________________________.
(a) just a way to make Stevens jealous
(b) temporary frustrations in the adjustment to marriage
(c) the ramblings of a hysterical woman
(d) cathartic releases
10. Where does Stevens have tea?
(a) The Bradford Hotel
(b) The Embassy Room
(c) The Regent Room
(d) The Rose Garden Hotel
11. What does Miss Kenton say when Stevens asks her about her letter?
(a) She wants to come back to Darlington Hall
(b) She is divorcing her husband
(c) She is happy with her husband and daughter
(d) She regrets sending the letter
12. What incident does Stevens recall?
(a) The elder Mr. Stevens gets cancer
(b) Miss Kenton takes a leave of absence
(c) Two maids are dismissed because they are Jewish
(d) Lord Darlington gets a serious disease
13. How does Stevens react to Miss Kenton's news?
(a) His hopes are dashed
(b) He does not react at all
(c) He pushes her to change her mind
(d) He walks away in silence
14. What does Lisa leave for Miss Kenton?
(a) A note
(b) A book
(c) A bouquet
(d) A pen
15. Stevens remembers the visit of an ambassador from what country?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Miss Kenton not left Darlington Hall?
2. What has Lord Darlington asked Stevens to do?
3. What does Stevens recall when seeing the sign?
4. Where is Stevens when he sees the sign?
5. What does Stevens secretly think about Lord Darlington?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)