|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Lord Darlington's godson?
(a) Cardinal MacMurphree
(b) Emory Harrison
(c) Mr. Beckett
(d) Mr. Cardinal
2. Who must inform Stevens inform of Lord Darlington's decision?
(a) The kitchen staff
(b) The upstairs staff
(c) The maids
(d) Miss Kenton
3. What does Miss Kenton reveal to Stevens?
(a) She stole silverware before she left Darlington Hall
(b) She wondered how her life might have been if she and Stevens had shared a life
(c) She had an abortion while at Darlington Hall
(d) She could never stand Lord Darlington
4. What does Stevens ponder again?
(a) Silver polish prices
(b) Gas for the car
(c) A new umbrella
(d) Miss Kenton's letter
5. What do Stevens and Miss Kenton do each evening?
(a) Listen to the radio
(c) Play bridge
(d) Meet to discuss the household
6. What does Lisa do in less than a year at Darlington Hall?
(a) Gets promoted to upstairs maid
(b) Runs off with the second footman
(d) Gets terminated
7. What had the people in town thought Stevens to be?
(a) A minister
(b) A professor
(c) A lawyer
(d) A dignitary
8. What does the polished silver indicate about Lord Darlington's household?
(b) Many parties
(c) Obsessive compulsive behavior
(d) Only the surface of things matters
9. Stevens mentions that some of Miss Kenton's letters in the past indicated that _________________________________.
(a) she was unhappy in her marriage
(b) she never went through with the marriage
(c) she was in love with Stevens
(d) she was in love with Lord Darlington
10. What does Stevens try to get Miss Kenton to understand?
(a) Personal feelings have no place in the running of the household
(b) Her household budgets are exceeding their limits
(c) The maids are wearing their uniforms too short
(d) The butlers are within his domain, not hers
11. Where does Stevens have tea?
(a) The Embassy Room
(b) The Regent Room
(c) The Bradford Hotel
(d) The Rose Garden Hotel
12. What is Miss Kenton doing when Stevens finds her in the summerhouse?
13. Why does Stevens go to Miss Kenton's room?
(a) To get the menus for an upcoming event
(b) To tell her that Lord Darlington's godson needs a room for the night
(c) To take Miss Kenton some hot chocolate
(d) To give Miss Kenton some news about a maid
14. How does Stevens react to Miss Kenton's news?
(a) He launches into hysterics
(b) He professionally congratulates her
(c) He goes silent
(d) He walks away from her
15. What does Lord Darlington's godson attempt to learn from Lord Darlington at dinner?
(a) How Lord Darlington intends to vote in the next election
(b) With whom Lord Darlington is having an affair
(c) Who Lord Darlington's guests will be tonight
(d) Whether Lord Darlington has included his godson in his will
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Stevens and Miss Kenton part?
2. How is Mr. Farraday different from Lord Darlington?
3. The previous day, Stevens had been picked up by a doctor who brings ____________________.
4. What does Stevens secretly think about Lord Darlington?
5. What town does Stevens explore in the morning?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)