|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The doctor had believed in ________________ until he had met the people of his town.
2. What good news does Miss Kenton have about her daughter?
(a) She is expecting a child
(b) She is engaged to be married
(c) She just graduated college
(d) She has just received her law degree
3. What else does Stevens recall about the ambassador's visit?
(a) Many people wanted to be dinner guests with him
(b) He would sleep past noon
(c) He wanted cognanc and cigars in his room each night
(d) He was demanding about his clothing
4. Where does Stevens have tea?
(a) The Bradford Hotel
(b) The Rose Garden Hotel
(c) The Regent Room
(d) The Embassy Room
5. What does the road trip allow Stevens to do?
(a) Visit different tearooms
(b) Sleep in charming inns
(c) Reflect on the time employed by Lord Darlington
(d) Take some pictures for his scrapbooks
6. What does Lisa do in less than a year at Darlington Hall?
(a) Gets terminated
(c) Runs off with the second footman
(d) Gets promoted to upstairs maid
7. What is the mood of their parting?
8. What did some of the dinner guests later say about Lord Darlington?
(a) He hosted Nazis
(b) He lost his fortune
(c) He had many affairs
(d) He abused the staff
9. What does Stevens recall now?
(a) Having the car serviced
(b) His meeting with Miss Kenton
(c) Packing a new sweater
(d) A conversation with his father
10. What is Stevens doing in the butler's pantry when Miss Kenton enters one evening?
(a) Taking a nap
(b) Drinking wine
(c) Having a snack
(d) Reading a book
11. Stevens adamantly denies that Lord Darlington had __________________________.
(b) anti-Semite tendencies
(c) a gambling problem
(d) an extramarital affair
12. What sign does Stevens see?
(a) Giffen Silver Polish Company
(c) Royal Tea
13. According to Stevens, Darlington Hall hosted ____________________________________.
(a) anyone who wanted an invitation
(c) only the noblest people from British and world society
(d) an occasional Nazi
14. What topic does Stevens bring up with Miss Kenton in the summerhouse?
(a) A party that Lord Darlington wants to host
(b) Her threat of resignation
(c) The menus for the week
(d) The attire of the downstairs staff
15. Stevens remembers the visit of an ambassador from what country?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Stevens when he sees the sign?
2. Who must inform Stevens inform of Lord Darlington's decision?
3. How do Stevens and Miss Kenton part?
4. What is Stevens' demeanor regarding Lord Darlington?
5. What changed the ambassador's demeanor?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)