|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the road trip allow Stevens to do?
(a) Take some pictures for his scrapbooks
(b) Sleep in charming inns
(c) Visit different tearooms
(d) Reflect on the time employed by Lord Darlington
2. Who is Lord Darlington's godson?
(a) Emory Harrison
(b) Mr. Cardinal
(c) Cardinal MacMurphree
(d) Mr. Beckett
3. How does Stevens react to the revelation?
(c) No reaction
4. Why does Stevens begin to doubt that Miss Kenton will show up?
(a) He did not receive a return letter from her
(b) Miss Kenton has probably changed her mind
(c) Miss Kenton never really liked him
(d) He is late and she probably won't return
5. What did some of the dinner guests later say about Lord Darlington?
(a) He hosted Nazis
(b) He had many affairs
(c) He abused the staff
(d) He lost his fortune
6. What is Stevens' demeanor regarding Lord Darlington?
(b) Staunch support
(d) Lack of confidence
7. What does Lisa leave for Miss Kenton?
(a) A book
(b) A note
(c) A bouquet
(d) A pen
8. What does Miss Kenton report upon returning to Darlington Hall that evening?
(a) That she has accepted a marriage proposal and will be leaving
(b) That she witnessed an accident in town
(c) That a storm is brewing
(d) That her purse was stolen in town
9. Stevens mentions that some of Miss Kenton's letters in the past indicated that _________________________________.
(a) she was in love with Stevens
(b) she was unhappy in her marriage
(c) she was in love with Lord Darlington
(d) she never went through with the marriage
10. What does the doctor ask Stevens' for his view on?
11. What changed the ambassador's demeanor?
(a) A fine meal
(b) Fine cigars
(d) The excellence of the silver
12. What does Stevens try to get Miss Kenton to understand?
(a) The maids are wearing their uniforms too short
(b) Her household budgets are exceeding their limits
(c) The butlers are within his domain, not hers
(d) Personal feelings have no place in the running of the household
13. What does Stevens do as he waits for Miss Kenton?
(a) Talks with some tourists
(b) Sips tea and watches the rain
(c) Does a crossword puzzle
(d) Reads the paper
14. What does Lord Darlington's godson try to get Stevens to admit?
(a) If he has ever been married
(b) How much brandy Lord Darlington drinks every night
(c) Who the cute downstairs maid is
(d) Who Lord Darlington's guests are
15. How does Stevens react to Miss Kenton's news?
(a) His hopes are dashed
(b) He walks away in silence
(c) He does not react at all
(d) He pushes her to change her mind
Short Answer Questions
1. Stevens adamantly denies that Lord Darlington had __________________________.
2. What is Stevens doing in Day 6, Evening?
3. What beverage do Stevens and Miss Kenton enjoy each evening?
4. Why has Miss Kenton not left Darlington Hall?
5. How does Stevens react to Lisa's actions?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)