|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What beverage do Stevens and Miss Kenton enjoy each evening?
(b) Hot cocoa
2. What incident does Stevens recall?
(a) Miss Kenton takes a leave of absence
(b) The elder Mr. Stevens gets cancer
(c) Two maids are dismissed because they are Jewish
(d) Lord Darlington gets a serious disease
3. What did some of the dinner guests later say about Lord Darlington?
(a) He hosted Nazis
(b) He had many affairs
(c) He lost his fortune
(d) He abused the staff
4. What good news does Miss Kenton have about her daughter?
(a) She has just received her law degree
(b) She is engaged to be married
(c) She just graduated college
(d) She is expecting a child
5. What is Stevens doing in Day 6, Evening?
(a) Driving back to Darlington Hall
(b) Having dinner at the hotel
(c) Sitting on a bench at a pier
(d) Checking out of the hotel
6. Who is Lord Darlington's godson?
(a) Mr. Beckett
(b) Mr. Cardinal
(c) Emory Harrison
(d) Cardinal MacMurphree
7. What can the doctor tell about Stevens by his demeanor?
(a) He is from Scotland
(b) He is an educated man
(c) He is apprehensive
(d) He is a manservant
8. What is Stevens' demeanor regarding Lord Darlington?
(c) Lack of confidence
(d) Staunch support
9. Who does Stevens talk to on the pier?
(a) A fisherman
(b) A postal worker
(c) Another butler
(d) A dockworker
10. When was Stevens' meeting with Miss Kenton?
(a) A week ago
(b) An hour ago
(c) Two days ago
11. What does Stevens decide about the answer to #113?
(a) Buy a new umbrella in the next town
(b) It is best not to speculate
(c) Find silver polish at a lower price
(d) Stop at the next gas station
12. What is the mood of their parting?
13. How does Stevens react to Miss Kenton's news?
(a) He pushes her to change her mind
(b) His hopes are dashed
(c) He walks away in silence
(d) He does not react at all
14. Why does Stevens go to Miss Kenton's room?
(a) To get the menus for an upcoming event
(b) To take Miss Kenton some hot chocolate
(c) To tell her that Lord Darlington's godson needs a room for the night
(d) To give Miss Kenton some news about a maid
15. Miss Kenton passes off those letters as __________________________.
(a) temporary frustrations in the adjustment to marriage
(b) cathartic releases
(c) just a way to make Stevens jealous
(d) the ramblings of a hysterical woman
Short Answer Questions
1. What event does Stevens recall as he waits for Miss Kenton?
2. What does Stevens tell Miss Kenton about Lord Darlington?
3. Stevens remembers the visit of an ambassador from what country?
4. What does Miss Kenton say when Stevens asks her about her letter?
5. What kind of night does Stevens spend at the inn?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)