|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Stevens remembers the visit of an ambassador from what country?
2. What items seem to symbolize Stevens' recollection of the past?
(a) The trained staff
(b) The flower arrangements
(c) The polished silver
(d) The fleet of vehicles
3. According to Stevens, Darlington Hall hosted ____________________________________.
(b) an occasional Nazi
(c) anyone who wanted an invitation
(d) only the noblest people from British and world society
4. On what topic does Miss Kenton chide Stevens?
(a) The new maid, Lisa
(b) His new smoking jacket
(c) The errors of the wait staff
(d) The lackluster silver
5. How does Stevens react to Miss Kenton's news?
(a) He professionally congratulates her
(b) He launches into hysterics
(c) He walks away from her
(d) He goes silent
6. What does Stevens decide about the answer to #113?
(a) Find silver polish at a lower price
(b) Buy a new umbrella in the next town
(c) Stop at the next gas station
(d) It is best not to speculate
7. What is Stevens doing in Day 6, Evening?
(a) Sitting on a bench at a pier
(b) Having dinner at the hotel
(c) Checking out of the hotel
(d) Driving back to Darlington Hall
8. Who is Lord Darlington's godson?
(a) Cardinal MacMurphree
(b) Mr. Cardinal
(c) Emory Harrison
(d) Mr. Beckett
9. What can the doctor tell about Stevens by his demeanor?
(a) He is from Scotland
(b) He is apprehensive
(c) He is an educated man
(d) He is a manservant
10. What is the nature of Miss Kenton's family?
(a) She is an orphan
(b) She is an only child
(c) She is the youngest
(d) She has no family
11. In days past, what would indicate the greatness of a household?
(a) The maintenance of the grounds
(b) The number of parties held
(c) The sheen on the silver
(d) The quality of the food
12. What does Stevens do as he waits for Miss Kenton?
(a) Sips tea and watches the rain
(b) Does a crossword puzzle
(c) Talks with some tourists
(d) Reads the paper
13. What else does Stevens recall about the ambassador's visit?
(a) He would sleep past noon
(b) Many people wanted to be dinner guests with him
(c) He was demanding about his clothing
(d) He wanted cognanc and cigars in his room each night
14. What incident does Stevens recall?
(a) Miss Kenton takes a leave of absence
(b) Two maids are dismissed because they are Jewish
(c) The elder Mr. Stevens gets cancer
(d) Lord Darlington gets a serious disease
15. What is Stevens doing in the butler's pantry when Miss Kenton enters one evening?
(a) Reading a book
(b) Taking a nap
(c) Drinking wine
(d) Having a snack
Short Answer Questions
1. What beverage do Stevens and Miss Kenton enjoy each evening?
2. What is the town where Miss Kenton lives?
3. Miss Kenton passes off those letters as __________________________.
4. What does the polished silver indicate about Lord Darlington's household?
5. The previous day, Stevens had been picked up by a doctor who brings ____________________.
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)