|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What town does Stevens explore in the morning?
2. What does Stevens recall when seeing the sign?
(a) He needs a new raincoat
(b) Giffen was the silver polish of choice
(c) He wants to buy some tea
(d) He remembers a book he needs
3. The previous day, Stevens had been picked up by a doctor who brings ____________________.
(a) a picnic lunch
(b) his bag
(c) a map
(d) fuel for Stevens' car
4. What does Stevens tell Miss Kenton about Lord Darlington?
(a) He will be leaving England soon
(b) He has a terminal illness
(c) He is secretly in love with Miss Kenton
(d) He admits to the injustice of dismissing the two maids
5. What is Miss Kenton doing when Stevens finds her in the summerhouse?
6. How does Miss Kenton react to Lisa's actions?
(a) She is outraged
(b) She is guilty
(c) She saw it coming
(d) She is distraught
7. What does Miss Kenton say when Stevens asks her about her letter?
(a) She regrets sending the letter
(b) She is happy with her husband and daughter
(c) She is divorcing her husband
(d) She wants to come back to Darlington Hall
8. What does Lisa do in less than a year at Darlington Hall?
(a) Runs off with the second footman
(b) Gets promoted to upstairs maid
(c) Gets terminated
9. What incident does Stevens recall?
(a) Miss Kenton takes a leave of absence
(b) Lord Darlington gets a serious disease
(c) The elder Mr. Stevens gets cancer
(d) Two maids are dismissed because they are Jewish
10. What do Stevens and Miss Kenton do each evening?
(b) Play bridge
(c) Listen to the radio
(d) Meet to discuss the household
11. What does Stevens decide about the answer to #113?
(a) It is best not to speculate
(b) Buy a new umbrella in the next town
(c) Find silver polish at a lower price
(d) Stop at the next gas station
12. How does Stevens react to Lisa's actions?
(a) Derides Miss Kenton for making a poor hiring decision
(b) Tells Miss Kenton that he knew this would happen
(c) Threatens to not give her a positive reference
(d) Tells Miss Kenton that she had worked wonders with Lisa
13. What does Stevens not allow himself to do regarding Lord Darlington?
(a) Speak to him directly
(b) Drink any of the fine brandy
(c) Entertain the idea that he was involved in horrific political events
(d) Ask for a vacation
14. In days past, what would indicate the greatness of a household?
(a) The quality of the food
(b) The maintenance of the grounds
(c) The sheen on the silver
(d) The number of parties held
15. What are Stevens' inner feelings about the revelation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What changed the ambassador's demeanor?
2. What has Lord Darlington asked Stevens to do?
3. What had the people in town thought Stevens to be?
4. How does Stevens react to the revelation?
5. What else does Miss Kenton reveal to Stevens?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)