|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the polished silver indicate about Lord Darlington's household?
(a) Many parties
(b) Only the surface of things matters
(d) Obsessive compulsive behavior
2. How long will it be before Stevens will once again see Miss Kenton?
(a) 24 hours
(b) 3 days
(c) 1 week
(d) 48 hours
3. How does Miss Kenton react to Lisa's actions?
(a) She saw it coming
(b) She is guilty
(c) She is distraught
(d) She is outraged
4. Stevens mentions that some of Miss Kenton's letters in the past indicated that _________________________________.
(a) she was in love with Lord Darlington
(b) she was unhappy in her marriage
(c) she never went through with the marriage
(d) she was in love with Stevens
5. What good news does Miss Kenton have about her daughter?
(a) She has just received her law degree
(b) She is expecting a child
(c) She is engaged to be married
(d) She just graduated college
6. What is the town where Miss Kenton lives?
(c) Little Compton
7. What is the profession of Lord Darlington's godson?
8. What does the doctor ask Stevens' for his view on?
9. To what issue does Stevens return in his thoughts?
(a) Miss Kenton's letter
(b) His father
(c) Silver polish
(d) Lord Darlington's alleged anti-Semitism
10. Why does Stevens go to Miss Kenton's room?
(a) To tell her that Lord Darlington's godson needs a room for the night
(b) To take Miss Kenton some hot chocolate
(c) To get the menus for an upcoming event
(d) To give Miss Kenton some news about a maid
11. According to Stevens, Darlington Hall hosted ____________________________________.
(a) only the noblest people from British and world society
(b) an occasional Nazi
(d) anyone who wanted an invitation
12. Miss Kenton passes off those letters as __________________________.
(a) just a way to make Stevens jealous
(b) the ramblings of a hysterical woman
(c) temporary frustrations in the adjustment to marriage
(d) cathartic releases
13. What does Stevens ponder again?
(a) A new umbrella
(b) Gas for the car
(c) Silver polish prices
(d) Miss Kenton's letter
14. What was the ambassador's demeanor?
15. What is Miss Kenton doing when Stevens finds her in the summerhouse?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the maid that Miss Kenton hires despite Stevens' misgivings?
2. Who must inform Stevens inform of Lord Darlington's decision?
3. Why does Stevens chide Miss Kenton periodically?
4. What beverage do Stevens and Miss Kenton enjoy each evening?
5. The doctor had believed in ________________ until he had met the people of his town.
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)