|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of Miss Kenton's letter?
(a) She is recently divorced with no future plans
(b) She is starting a restaurant
(c) She has a terminal illness
(d) She is moving to the United States
2. What question does Stevens ponder as he drives?
(a) Did he turn in the grocer's order?
(b) What qualities makes a good butler?
(c) Did he polish the silver?
(d) Did he turn off the oven?
3. What had Miss Kenton brought to Stevens' office at Darlington Hall one day?
(b) Fresh flowers
(c) New curtains
4. What had Stevens said about employment by Lord Darlington when asked by a guest of Mr. Farraday's?
(a) He loved it
(b) He hated it
(c) He is glad it is over
(d) He denied it
5. What determines a great household?
(a) Sculptured gardens
(b) Social status and nobility
(c) Horse stables
(d) A swimming pool
6. What is Mr. Stevens considering at point in time?
(a) Starting his own business
(c) Getting married
(d) Taking a road trip
7. Where did Stevens spend the night?
(a) A bed and breakfast in Devonshire
(b) A Holiday Inn
(c) A 4-star hotel in London
(d) A guest house in Salisbury
8. When Mr. Stevens encounters an old man on the road, what does the old man say?
(a) He prefers to walk
(b) He is waiting on a bus
(c) He needs a ride to the next town
(d) He invites Stevens into the woods to enjoy the view
9. What book does Mr. Stevens consult before leaving on his trip?
(a) Visit the British Isles
(b) God's Country
(c) The Wonder of England
(d) The Back Roads of England
10. What does the old man say is at the top of the hill?
(a) A barn
(b) A bench
(c) A church
(d) An apple orchard
11. What is the overall goal of the conference?
(a) Freeze German reparation payments and withdraw French troops
(b) Determine who should be the next ruler of Germany
(c) Discuss the demise of the British monarchy
(d) Establish the United Nations
12. Who is in charge of staffing at Darlington Hall?
(a) Mr. Faraday
(b) Miss Kenton
(c) Lord Darlington
(d) Mr. Stevens
13. What does Stevens feel has happened to Lord Darlington's reputation?
(a) It is revered
(b) It is glowing
(c) It is destroyed
(d) It is tarnished
14. By what is a great household judged?
(a) Its religious affiliations
(b) Moral fiber and contributions to society
(c) How well the grounds are manicured
(d) How many parties it has
15. What happens to the car as Stevens continues on his trip?
(a) The windshield gets cracked by a rock
(b) It emits a heated smell
(c) It gets a bad oil leak
(d) It gets a flat tire
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stevens recall the time of the conference?
2. To what does Stevens compare himself?
3. Stevens watches some people who are doing what?
4. What is Stevens able to do in his position of head butler at the conference?
5. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)