|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the overall goal of the conference?
(a) Discuss the demise of the British monarchy
(b) Determine who should be the next ruler of Germany
(c) Freeze German reparation payments and withdraw French troops
(d) Establish the United Nations
2. What does Stevens answer when asked if he had ever worked for Lord Darlington?
(a) He was glad to be rid of Lord Darlington
(b) He was proud of his service to Lord Darlington
(c) He is currently employed by Mr. Farraday
(d) Lord Darlington was always good to him
3. What does the elder Mr. Stevens tell Stevens?
(a) He wants to make out his will
(b) He would like some wine with dinner
(c) Stevens should marry Miss Kenton
(d) He loves him and is proud of him
4. What literary device does the author use when describing Stevens' last chance to see a spectacular view?
5. Stevens believes that the rungs of a social ladder have been replaced by __________.
(a) stepping stones
(b) a wheel
(c) a cart
(d) a step stool
6. What did Mr. Stevens receive from Miss Kenton?
(a) A birthday card
(b) A Christmas gift
(c) Tickets to the theater
(d) A letter
7. Where does Stevens go to admire some natural beauty?
(a) A woods
(b) A hilltop
(c) A nearby pond
(d) A meadow
8. What quality does Stevens thinks makes a good butler?
9. Where has Mr. Stevens been employed for many years?
(a) Darlington Hall
(c) Scotland Yard
(d) British Secret Service
10. What is the topic of the conference?
(a) The British Empire expansion
(b) Germany's reparations after World War I
(c) Global warming
(d) The oil crisis
11. What does this road trip supply for Stevens?
(a) A well-deserved vacation
(b) Time alone to ponder and reminisce
(c) A chance to meet new vendors
(d) A shopping excursion
12. Stevens' behavior indicates that he is haunted by ______________________.
(a) feelings for his father
(b) ghosts in the mansion
(c) a lost love
(d) some ethical situation
13. Mr. Stevens is not comfortable with American ________________.
14. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
(a) New car
(b) New luggage
(c) New books
(d) New clothes
15. By what is a great household judged?
(a) How well the grounds are manicured
(b) Its religious affiliations
(c) How many parties it has
(d) Moral fiber and contributions to society
Short Answer Questions
1. Miss Kenton could be a solution for what problem at Darlington Hall?
2. What is Stevens content to do?
3. What does the doctor do after attending to the elder Mr. Stevens?
4. In what does Mr. Faraday want to invest for Darlington Hall?
5. The old man tells Stevens that it may be his last chance to ___________________________.
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)