|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Miss Kenton interrupt the conference to beckon Stevens out of the room?
(a) Stevens' father collapsed and they are waiting for a doctor
(b) There is not enough brandy for after dinner drinks
(c) There is a phone call for the French representative
(d) The cook has burned the duck for dinner
2. What is Mr. Stevens' demeanor?
(d) Very proper
3. What does the old man say is at the top of the hill?
(a) A barn
(b) An apple orchard
(c) A church
(d) A bench
4. To what does Stevens compare being asked about a former employer in the presence of a current one?
(a) Being caught shoplifting
(b) A student in the principal's office
(c) A divorced woman with her current husband present
(d) Being stopped by a police officer
5. What is the state of the relationship between Mr. Stevens and Mr. Faraday?
6. In what does Mr. Faraday want to invest for Darlington Hall?
(a) An antique clock
(b) New china
(c) Permanent staff
(d) Staff uniforms
7. Where has Mr. Stevens been employed for many years?
(a) Darlington Hall
(b) British Secret Service
(d) Scotland Yard
8. What was Stevens' father's profession?
9. How can Stevens' father's demeanor best be described?
(a) Quiet reserve
10. What determines a great household?
(a) A swimming pool
(b) Sculptured gardens
(c) Social status and nobility
(d) Horse stables
11. Where did Stevens spend the night?
(a) A 4-star hotel in London
(b) A guest house in Salisbury
(c) A bed and breakfast in Devonshire
(d) A Holiday Inn
12. How many dignitaries are expected?
13. How much has Mr. Stevens traveled in his life?
(a) Very little
(c) Once every six months
(d) Once a month
14. Where does Stevens go to admire some natural beauty?
(a) A meadow
(b) A nearby pond
(c) A woods
(d) A hilltop
15. Voicing his comparisons of himself to other butlers would be ____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary device does the author use when describing Stevens' last chance to see a spectacular view?
2. Stevens' behavior indicates that he is haunted by ______________________.
3. How does Stevens feel about this widely accepted position?
4. To what does Stevens compare himself?
5. Under whom did Stevens train as a butler?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)