|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under whom did Stevens train as a butler?
(a) The Queen's butler
(b) A professional services organization
(c) His grandfather
(d) His own father
2. What happens to the car as Stevens continues on his trip?
(a) The windshield gets cracked by a rock
(b) It emits a heated smell
(c) It gets a bad oil leak
(d) It gets a flat tire
3. Where does Stevens go to admire some natural beauty?
(a) A hilltop
(b) A woods
(c) A meadow
(d) A nearby pond
4. What does Miss Kenton insinuate in her letter?
(a) That she has three children
(b) That her husband has committed adultery
(c) That she has always loved Stevens
(d) She may want to return to work at Darlington Hall
5. What had Stevens said about employment by Lord Darlington when asked by a guest of Mr. Farraday's?
(a) He loved it
(b) He denied it
(c) He hated it
(d) He is glad it is over
6. What does Stevens consider the comments people still make about Lord Darlington?
7. What literary device does the author use when describing Stevens' last chance to see a spectacular view?
8. What does the doctor do after attending to the elder Mr. Stevens?
(a) Has tea with Lord Darlington
(b) Writes out a bill
(c) Plays golf with the delegates
(d) Attends the French delegate who has a foot problem
9. What does the car need?
(b) A new windshield
(c) Water for the radiator
(d) A new tire
10. According to Stevens, a good butler is probably born with ______________, as it is something that cannot be taught.
(d) Good taste
11. What does the elder Mr. Stevens tell Stevens?
(a) He loves him and is proud of him
(b) He would like some wine with dinner
(c) Stevens should marry Miss Kenton
(d) He wants to make out his will
12. Voicing his comparisons of himself to other butlers would be ____________.
13. Who is the best butler Stevens has ever seen?
(a) His father
(b) His mentor
(c) His uncle
(d) His grandfather
14. By what is a great household judged?
(a) How many parties it has
(b) Moral fiber and contributions to society
(c) How well the grounds are manicured
(d) Its religious affiliations
15. How long has Mr. Stevens been employed in this position?
(a) 25 years
(b) 20 years
(c) 3 years
(d) 30 years
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stevens, a butler must have ________________________ as well as a working knowledge on a number of subjects.
2. Why does Stevens' answer put Mr. Farraday in an awkward spot?
3. To what does Stevens compare being asked about a former employer in the presence of a current one?
4. Why does Stevens awaken early?
5. How does Stevens feel about this widely accepted position?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)