|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what does Mr. Faraday want to invest for Darlington Hall?
(a) New china
(b) Staff uniforms
(c) Permanent staff
(d) An antique clock
2. Why does Miss Kenton interrupt the conference to beckon Stevens out of the room?
(a) The cook has burned the duck for dinner
(b) Stevens' father collapsed and they are waiting for a doctor
(c) There is a phone call for the French representative
(d) There is not enough brandy for after dinner drinks
3. Why has Stevens missed out on a normal life?
(a) He is too shy to get married
(b) He is devoted to his job
(c) He does not like meeting new people
(d) He does not drive
4. How does the encounter with the old man at the forest symbolize Stevens' personality?
(a) He can't see the forest for the trees
(b) He is always headed in the wrong direction
(c) He is on the edge of the road
(d) He is kind-hearted
5. How does Stevens recall the time of the conference?
(a) Something that he hopes will not be repeated
(b) With relief that it is over
(c) One of the worst times of his life
(d) With pride for persevering personally and professionally
6. What is the state of Miss Kenton's marriage?
(a) She is a newlywed
(b) It is stable
(c) It is failing
(d) It has just ended
7. Under whom did Stevens train as a butler?
(a) His own father
(b) A professional services organization
(c) The Queen's butler
(d) His grandfather
8. How does Stevens feel about serving at Darlington Hall for so many years?
9. How long has Miss Kenton been gone?
(a) 10 years
(b) 2 years
(c) 20 years
(d) 15 years
10. Stevens does not want people to get the idea that he is ___________________ about working for Lord Darlington.
11. What does Mr. Faraday call Mr. Stevens when he learns of Mr. Stevens' plans to visit Miss Kenton?
(a) Eternal Optimist
(b) Delusional Fool
(c) Ladies Man
(d) Hopeless Romantic
12. What determines a great household?
(a) Social status and nobility
(b) Sculptured gardens
(c) Horse stables
(d) A swimming pool
13. What is the overall goal of the conference?
(a) Freeze German reparation payments and withdraw French troops
(b) Determine who should be the next ruler of Germany
(c) Establish the United Nations
(d) Discuss the demise of the British monarchy
14. What does this road trip supply for Stevens?
(a) A well-deserved vacation
(b) A shopping excursion
(c) A chance to meet new vendors
(d) Time alone to ponder and reminisce
15. Where has Mr. Stevens been employed for many years?
(a) Scotland Yard
(b) British Secret Service
(c) Darlington Hall
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stevens awaken early?
2. What does Stevens tell his father after the accident?
3. Why does Stevens' answer put Mr. Farraday in an awkward spot?
4. What does Stevens consider the comments people still make about Lord Darlington?
5. What is Miss Kenton's name now that she is married?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)