|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has been the nature of Mr. Stevens' trips?
(a) Family vacations
(b) Annual vacations
(c) Family holidays
(d) Outings for professional duties
2. What is Lord Darlington's hope for the conference?
(a) That it will be the last one he has to host
(b) That it will start on time
(c) That everyone will have a good time
(d) Develop a coalition to provide aid to Germany
3. When Mr. Stevens encounters an old man on the road, what does the old man say?
(a) He needs a ride to the next town
(b) He is waiting on a bus
(c) He prefers to walk
(d) He invites Stevens into the woods to enjoy the view
4. What was the number of staff employed at Darlington Hall 20 years ago?
5. To what does Stevens compare himself?
(a) His mentor
(b) The great butlers of the past
(c) The Queen's butler
(d) His father
6. What is Mr. Stevens' profession?
7. Under whom did Stevens train as a butler?
(a) A professional services organization
(b) His own father
(c) The Queen's butler
(d) His grandfather
8. What does Miss Kenton insinuate in her letter?
(a) That she has always loved Stevens
(b) That her husband has committed adultery
(c) That she has three children
(d) She may want to return to work at Darlington Hall
9. What nationality is Mr. Faraday?
10. What is Miss Kenton's name now that she is married?
(a) Mrs. Burnap
(b) Mrs. Benjamin
(c) Mrs. Berne
(d) Mrs. Benn
11. Mr. Stevens is not comfortable with American ________________.
12. What happens to the car as Stevens continues on his trip?
(a) It gets a bad oil leak
(b) The windshield gets cracked by a rock
(c) It emits a heated smell
(d) It gets a flat tire
13. What does this road trip supply for Stevens?
(a) Time alone to ponder and reminisce
(b) A well-deserved vacation
(c) A shopping excursion
(d) A chance to meet new vendors
14. Who is Miss Kenton?
(a) Mr. Stevens' sister
(b) A chef at Darlington Hall
(c) Mr. Faraday's assistant
(d) A former housekeeper at Darlington Hall
15. How can Stevens' father's demeanor best be described?
(b) Quiet reserve
Short Answer Questions
1. What literary device does the author use when describing Stevens' last chance to see a spectacular view?
2. Stevens' behavior indicates that he is haunted by ______________________.
3. Mr. Farraday's comment makes Mr. Stevens feel __________________.
4. What does Mr. Stevens consider critical to his work?
5. What did Miss Kenton call Stevens' father one day?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)