|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Stevens' answer put Mr. Farraday in an awkward spot?
(a) The staff should not speak unless spoken to
(b) Mr. Farraday did not like Lord Darlington
(c) Mr. Farraday does not want Stevens speaking to his guests
(d) Mr. Farraday had told his guests about Stevens' career with Lord Darlington
2. How long has Mr. Stevens been employed in this position?
(a) 25 years
(b) 20 years
(c) 30 years
(d) 3 years
3. What does the doctor do after attending to the elder Mr. Stevens?
(a) Writes out a bill
(b) Plays golf with the delegates
(c) Has tea with Lord Darlington
(d) Attends the French delegate who has a foot problem
4. What is Mr. Stevens' profession?
5. To what does Stevens compare being asked about a former employer in the presence of a current one?
(a) Being caught shoplifting
(b) A divorced woman with her current husband present
(c) Being stopped by a police officer
(d) A student in the principal's office
6. How does the encounter with the old man at the forest symbolize Stevens' personality?
(a) He can't see the forest for the trees
(b) He is always headed in the wrong direction
(c) He is on the edge of the road
(d) He is kind-hearted
7. To what does Stevens compare himself?
(a) The Queen's butler
(b) His mentor
(c) The great butlers of the past
(d) His father
8. In what does Mr. Faraday want to invest for Darlington Hall?
(a) Staff uniforms
(b) New china
(c) Permanent staff
(d) An antique clock
9. Where did Stevens spend the night?
(a) A bed and breakfast in Devonshire
(b) A Holiday Inn
(c) A guest house in Salisbury
(d) A 4-star hotel in London
10. Why does Miss Kenton interrupt the conference to beckon Stevens out of the room?
(a) The cook has burned the duck for dinner
(b) There is not enough brandy for after dinner drinks
(c) Stevens' father collapsed and they are waiting for a doctor
(d) There is a phone call for the French representative
11. What does Stevens consider the comments people still make about Lord Darlington?
12. What does Stevens answer when asked if he had ever worked for Lord Darlington?
(a) He is currently employed by Mr. Farraday
(b) He was glad to be rid of Lord Darlington
(c) Lord Darlington was always good to him
(d) He was proud of his service to Lord Darlington
13. What literary device does the author use when describing Stevens' last chance to see a spectacular view?
14. Why has Stevens missed out on a normal life?
(a) He does not like meeting new people
(b) He is devoted to his job
(c) He does not drive
(d) He is too shy to get married
15. Stevens believes that the rungs of a social ladder have been replaced by __________.
(a) a step stool
(b) a cart
(c) stepping stones
(d) a wheel
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Treaty of Versailles
2. What is Mr. Stevens' demeanor?
3. How can Stevens' personality be described?
4. According to Stevens, a good butler is probably born with ______________, as it is something that cannot be taught.
5. Stevens does not want people to get the idea that he is ___________________ about working for Lord Darlington.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)