|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Under whom did Stevens train as a butler?
(a) His own father
(b) The Queen's butler
(c) A professional services organization
(d) His grandfather
2. Where does Stevens go for help?
(a) A nearby farm
(b) A service station
(c) A large Victorian house
(d) The next town
3. Stevens believes that the rungs of a social ladder have been replaced by __________.
(a) a step stool
(b) stepping stones
(c) a cart
(d) a wheel
4. Stevens watches some people who are doing what?
5. What is the state of the relationship between Mr. Stevens and Mr. Faraday?
6. What determines a great household?
(a) A swimming pool
(b) Social status and nobility
(c) Sculptured gardens
(d) Horse stables
7. What does Stevens answer when asked if he had ever worked for Lord Darlington?
(a) He was glad to be rid of Lord Darlington
(b) Lord Darlington was always good to him
(c) He was proud of his service to Lord Darlington
(d) He is currently employed by Mr. Farraday
8. What can be enjoyed at the top of the hill?
(b) The most beautiful view in England
(c) Poetry reading
(d) A concert
9. What is the subject of Miss Kenton's letter?
(a) She is moving to the United States
(b) She has a terminal illness
(c) She is recently divorced with no future plans
(d) She is starting a restaurant
10. How does Stevens feel about this widely accepted position?
11. What nationality is Mr. Faraday?
12. What is Mr. Stevens' demeanor?
(c) Very proper
13. Mr. Stevens is not comfortable with American ________________.
14. According to Stevens, a good butler is probably born with ______________, as it is something that cannot be taught.
(d) Good taste
15. By what is a great household judged?
(a) Its religious affiliations
(b) Moral fiber and contributions to society
(c) How well the grounds are manicured
(d) How many parties it has
Short Answer Questions
1. Voicing his comparisons of himself to other butlers would be ____________.
2. What did Mr. Stevens receive from Miss Kenton?
3. What happens when Stevens returns to his duties at the conference?
4. How does Stevens feel about serving at Darlington Hall for so many years?
5. What is Mr. Stevens considering at point in time?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)