|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the state of Miss Kenton's marriage?
(a) It is failing
(b) She is a newlywed
(c) It has just ended
(d) It is stable
2. What is Mr. Stevens' profession?
3. When Mr. Stevens encounters an old man on the road, what does the old man say?
(a) He needs a ride to the next town
(b) He invites Stevens into the woods to enjoy the view
(c) He is waiting on a bus
(d) He prefers to walk
4. Why does Stevens' answer put Mr. Farraday in an awkward spot?
(a) The staff should not speak unless spoken to
(b) Mr. Farraday did not like Lord Darlington
(c) Mr. Farraday does not want Stevens speaking to his guests
(d) Mr. Farraday had told his guests about Stevens' career with Lord Darlington
5. What is the state of the relationship between Mr. Stevens and Mr. Faraday?
6. According to Stevens, what is another characteristic of a great butler?
(a) Being able to stand for a long time
(b) Serving in a great household
(c) Having good posture
(d) Knowing proper etiquette
7. What literary device does the author use when describing Stevens' last chance to see a spectacular view?
8. Mr. Stevens is not comfortable with American ________________.
9. How does Stevens recall the time of the conference?
(a) With pride for persevering personally and professionally
(b) Something that he hopes will not be repeated
(c) One of the worst times of his life
(d) With relief that it is over
10. What does the old man say is at the top of the hill?
(a) An apple orchard
(b) A barn
(c) A church
(d) A bench
11. Where did Stevens spend the night?
(a) A guest house in Salisbury
(b) A bed and breakfast in Devonshire
(c) A 4-star hotel in London
(d) A Holiday Inn
12. What does the elder Mr. Stevens tell Stevens?
(a) He would like some wine with dinner
(b) He wants to make out his will
(c) He loves him and is proud of him
(d) Stevens should marry Miss Kenton
13. Stevens' behavior indicates that he is haunted by ______________________.
(a) feelings for his father
(b) ghosts in the mansion
(c) some ethical situation
(d) a lost love
14. What does the car need?
(b) A new tire
(c) A new windshield
(d) Water for the radiator
15. What did Miss Kenton call Stevens' father one day?
(a) A nuisance
(b) A tyrant
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Kenton insinuate in her letter?
2. Who assists Stevens with his problem?
3. Why does Miss Kenton interrupt the conference to beckon Stevens out of the room?
4. What can be enjoyed at the top of the hill?
5. What does Mr. Stevens consider critical to his work?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)