|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the current number of staff at Darlington Hall?
2. According to Stevens, a good butler is probably born with ______________, as it is something that cannot be taught.
(c) Good taste
3. Stevens realizes that he is ______________ when asked about employment with Lord Darlington.
4. What does Stevens fear will belie his true feelings about Lord Darlington?
(b) Little white lies
(d) Melancholy musings
5. Who is Mr. Stevens' current employer?
(a) Tony Blair
(b) Winston Churchill
(c) Mr. Farraday
(d) Margaret Thatcher
6. Stevens' behavior indicates that he is haunted by ______________________.
(a) a lost love
(b) feelings for his father
(c) ghosts in the mansion
(d) some ethical situation
7. What does Stevens tell his father after the accident?
(a) The elder Mr. Stevens can no longer work at Darlington
(b) His father needs to see a doctor
(c) His father needs a month-long holiday
(d) The elder Mr. Stevens' duties have to be reassigned
8. Stevens believes that the rungs of a social ladder have been replaced by __________.
(a) a cart
(b) a wheel
(c) stepping stones
(d) a step stool
9. What was Stevens' father's profession?
10. What does the old man say is at the top of the hill?
(a) A barn
(b) An apple orchard
(c) A church
(d) A bench
11. Who is in charge of staffing at Darlington Hall?
(a) Lord Darlington
(b) Mr. Faraday
(c) Mr. Stevens
(d) Miss Kenton
12. What does Stevens think about in the time before breakfast?
(a) Miss Kenton's letter
(b) Getting directions
(c) A noise the car made
(d) Buying an umbrella
13. According to Stevens, a butler must have ________________________ as well as a working knowledge on a number of subjects.
(a) strong faith
(b) new clothes
(c) a driver's license
(d) a command of the language
14. When Mr. Stevens encounters an old man on the road, what does the old man say?
(a) He invites Stevens into the woods to enjoy the view
(b) He needs a ride to the next town
(c) He prefers to walk
(d) He is waiting on a bus
15. What does Miss Kenton insinuate in her letter?
(a) That she has always loved Stevens
(b) She may want to return to work at Darlington Hall
(c) That she has three children
(d) That her husband has committed adultery
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lord Darlington's hope for the conference?
2. Where has Mr. Stevens been employed for many years?
3. What is the overall goal of the conference?
4. What is Mr. Stevens' profession?
5. What book does Mr. Stevens consult before leaving on his trip?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)