|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Stevens watches some people who are doing what?
2. How does Stevens feel about serving at Darlington Hall for so many years?
3. What is the overall goal of the conference?
(a) Freeze German reparation payments and withdraw French troops
(b) Determine who should be the next ruler of Germany
(c) Establish the United Nations
(d) Discuss the demise of the British monarchy
4. The old man tells Stevens that it may be his last chance to ___________________________.
(a) take in such a spectacular view
(b) sleep at his inn
(c) eat at his restaurant
(d) travel on this road
5. What did Mr. Stevens receive from Miss Kenton?
(a) Tickets to the theater
(b) A birthday card
(c) A letter
(d) A Christmas gift
6. Where did Stevens spend the night?
(a) A Holiday Inn
(b) A bed and breakfast in Devonshire
(c) A 4-star hotel in London
(d) A guest house in Salisbury
7. What is Mr. Stevens' profession?
8. What is the state of Miss Kenton's marriage?
(a) It has just ended
(b) It is stable
(c) It is failing
(d) She is a newlywed
9. To what does Stevens compare himself?
(a) His mentor
(b) The great butlers of the past
(c) The Queen's butler
(d) His father
10. By what is a great household judged?
(a) Its religious affiliations
(b) How well the grounds are manicured
(c) Moral fiber and contributions to society
(d) How many parties it has
11. What does the elder Mr. Stevens tell Stevens?
(a) Stevens should marry Miss Kenton
(b) He loves him and is proud of him
(c) He would like some wine with dinner
(d) He wants to make out his will
12. How much has Mr. Stevens traveled in his life?
(b) Once every six months
(c) Very little
(d) Once a month
13. What is the Treaty of Versailles
(a) The peace agreement between Germany and the Allies
(b) Louis XIV's declaration of peace
(c) A French document stored in a museum
(d) Marie Antoinette's coronation document
14. Why does Stevens awaken early?
(a) Unfamiliar surroundings
(b) A noisy neighbor
(c) A rooster crowed
(d) A faulty alarm clock
15. According to Stevens, a butler must have ________________________ as well as a working knowledge on a number of subjects.
(a) a driver's license
(b) new clothes
(c) a command of the language
(d) strong faith
Short Answer Questions
1. The Prologue is written about what time?
2. What determines a great household?
3. Mr. Farraday's comment makes Mr. Stevens feel __________________.
4. Mr. Stevens is not comfortable with American ________________.
5. What did Miss Kenton call Stevens' father one day?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)