|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the encounter with the old man at the forest symbolize Stevens' personality?
(a) He is always headed in the wrong direction
(b) He is kind-hearted
(c) He is on the edge of the road
(d) He can't see the forest for the trees
2. How does Stevens feel about this widely accepted position?
3. Mr. Farraday's comment makes Mr. Stevens feel __________________.
4. Miss Kenton could be a solution for what problem at Darlington Hall?
5. What does Mr. Stevens consider critical to his work?
(c) Organizational skills
6. Why does Miss Kenton interrupt the conference to beckon Stevens out of the room?
(a) Stevens' father collapsed and they are waiting for a doctor
(b) There is not enough brandy for after dinner drinks
(c) The cook has burned the duck for dinner
(d) There is a phone call for the French representative
7. How does Stevens recall the time of the conference?
(a) One of the worst times of his life
(b) Something that he hopes will not be repeated
(c) With pride for persevering personally and professionally
(d) With relief that it is over
8. What does Stevens answer when asked if he had ever worked for Lord Darlington?
(a) He was glad to be rid of Lord Darlington
(b) He was proud of his service to Lord Darlington
(c) Lord Darlington was always good to him
(d) He is currently employed by Mr. Farraday
9. What did Miss Kenton call Stevens' father one day?
(a) A nuisance
(c) A tyrant
10. How can Stevens' personality be described?
11. Voicing his comparisons of himself to other butlers would be ____________.
12. Mr. Stevens is not comfortable with American ________________.
13. What does Stevens feel has happened to Lord Darlington's reputation?
(a) It is tarnished
(b) It is glowing
(c) It is revered
(d) It is destroyed
14. To what does Stevens compare being asked about a former employer in the presence of a current one?
(a) Being stopped by a police officer
(b) A student in the principal's office
(c) Being caught shoplifting
(d) A divorced woman with her current husband present
15. What is Mr. Stevens' profession?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Stevens' father's profession?
2. What is Stevens able to do in his position of head butler at the conference?
3. According to Stevens, what is another characteristic of a great butler?
4. What did Mr. Stevens receive from Miss Kenton?
5. How long has Miss Kenton been gone?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)