|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. By what is Stevens conflicted?
(a) Gossip and personal observations
(b) Duty and personal observations
(c) Duty and opinions
(d) Questions and opinions
2. What does Miss Kenton insinuate in her letter?
(a) That she has always loved Stevens
(b) That her husband has committed adultery
(c) That she has three children
(d) She may want to return to work at Darlington Hall
3. By what is a great household judged?
(a) How well the grounds are manicured
(b) How many parties it has
(c) Its religious affiliations
(d) Moral fiber and contributions to society
4. What is the overall goal of the conference?
(a) Determine who should be the next ruler of Germany
(b) Freeze German reparation payments and withdraw French troops
(c) Discuss the demise of the British monarchy
(d) Establish the United Nations
5. What does Stevens fear will belie his true feelings about Lord Darlington?
(a) Little white lies
(c) Melancholy musings
6. What does the old man say is at the top of the hill?
(a) A bench
(b) A church
(c) A barn
(d) An apple orchard
7. What is the current number of staff at Darlington Hall?
8. What does Stevens feel has happened to Lord Darlington's reputation?
(a) It is tarnished
(b) It is revered
(c) It is destroyed
(d) It is glowing
9. What was Stevens' father's profession?
10. How can Stevens' personality be described?
11. What did Miss Kenton call Stevens' father one day?
(c) A tyrant
(d) A nuisance
12. What does Mr. Faraday call Mr. Stevens when he learns of Mr. Stevens' plans to visit Miss Kenton?
(a) Hopeless Romantic
(b) Delusional Fool
(c) Eternal Optimist
(d) Ladies Man
13. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
(a) New car
(b) New clothes
(c) New books
(d) New luggage
14. What quality does Stevens thinks makes a good butler?
15. What is Stevens content to do?
(a) Sit on a bench and think
(c) Wade in a pond
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be enjoyed at the top of the hill?
2. When did Lord Darlington host a conference of important men from around the world?
3. What does the doctor do after attending to the elder Mr. Stevens?
4. Why does Miss Kenton interrupt the conference to beckon Stevens out of the room?
5. What happens to the car as Stevens continues on his trip?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)