|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Stevens missed out on a normal life?
(a) He is devoted to his job
(b) He does not drive
(c) He is too shy to get married
(d) He does not like meeting new people
2. Why does Miss Kenton interrupt the conference to beckon Stevens out of the room?
(a) Stevens' father collapsed and they are waiting for a doctor
(b) There is not enough brandy for after dinner drinks
(c) There is a phone call for the French representative
(d) The cook has burned the duck for dinner
3. By what is Stevens conflicted?
(a) Duty and opinions
(b) Gossip and personal observations
(c) Questions and opinions
(d) Duty and personal observations
4. What is Mr. Stevens' profession?
5. What does Mr. Stevens consider critical to his work?
(d) Organizational skills
6. Mr. Farraday's comment makes Mr. Stevens feel __________________.
7. What does this road trip supply for Stevens?
(a) A shopping excursion
(b) A chance to meet new vendors
(c) A well-deserved vacation
(d) Time alone to ponder and reminisce
8. How does Stevens feel about serving at Darlington Hall for so many years?
9. Who is Miss Kenton?
(a) Mr. Faraday's assistant
(b) A chef at Darlington Hall
(c) Mr. Stevens' sister
(d) A former housekeeper at Darlington Hall
10. According to Stevens, what is another characteristic of a great butler?
(a) Being able to stand for a long time
(b) Having good posture
(c) Knowing proper etiquette
(d) Serving in a great household
11. What is the topic of the conference?
(a) The British Empire expansion
(b) Germany's reparations after World War I
(c) The oil crisis
(d) Global warming
12. How many dignitaries are expected?
13. To what does Stevens compare himself?
(a) His mentor
(b) The Queen's butler
(c) The great butlers of the past
(d) His father
14. What does Stevens fear will belie his true feelings about Lord Darlington?
(b) Little white lies
(c) Melancholy musings
15. What happens to the car as Stevens continues on his trip?
(a) It emits a heated smell
(b) It gets a bad oil leak
(c) It gets a flat tire
(d) The windshield gets cracked by a rock
Short Answer Questions
1. How much has Mr. Stevens traveled in his life?
2. How can Stevens' father's demeanor best be described?
3. To what does Stevens compare being asked about a former employer in the presence of a current one?
4. What does the elder Mr. Stevens tell Stevens?
5. Where has Mr. Stevens been employed for many years?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)