|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The old man tells Stevens that it may be his last chance to ___________________________.
(a) travel on this road
(b) take in such a spectacular view
(c) sleep at his inn
(d) eat at his restaurant
2. What can be enjoyed at the top of the hill?
(b) A concert
(c) The most beautiful view in England
(d) Poetry reading
3. What is Stevens able to do in his position of head butler at the conference?
(a) Control who sleeps in the different rooms
(b) Have some brandy with the men after the meeting ends
(c) Garners information from all the dignitaries
(d) Arranges for evening entertainment
4. What is the Treaty of Versailles
(a) A French document stored in a museum
(b) Marie Antoinette's coronation document
(c) Louis XIV's declaration of peace
(d) The peace agreement between Germany and the Allies
5. Stevens does not want people to get the idea that he is ___________________ about working for Lord Darlington.
6. Stevens watches some people who are doing what?
7. Who is in charge of staffing at Darlington Hall?
(a) Lord Darlington
(b) Mr. Stevens
(c) Miss Kenton
(d) Mr. Faraday
8. When did Lord Darlington host a conference of important men from around the world?
(a) April 1923
(b) May 1925
(c) March 1939
(d) March 1923
9. What does Stevens answer when asked if he had ever worked for Lord Darlington?
(a) He is currently employed by Mr. Farraday
(b) He was proud of his service to Lord Darlington
(c) Lord Darlington was always good to him
(d) He was glad to be rid of Lord Darlington
10. What is the overall goal of the conference?
(a) Discuss the demise of the British monarchy
(b) Establish the United Nations
(c) Freeze German reparation payments and withdraw French troops
(d) Determine who should be the next ruler of Germany
11. What did Mr. Stevens receive from Miss Kenton?
(a) A birthday card
(b) A Christmas gift
(c) Tickets to the theater
(d) A letter
12. What does Miss Kenton insinuate in her letter?
(a) That she has always loved Stevens
(b) She may want to return to work at Darlington Hall
(c) That she has three children
(d) That her husband has committed adultery
13. What is Mr. Stevens' profession?
14. How long has Mr. Stevens been employed in this position?
(a) 3 years
(b) 25 years
(c) 20 years
(d) 30 years
15. Who is the best butler Stevens has ever seen?
(a) His father
(b) His uncle
(c) His grandfather
(d) His mentor
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
2. The Prologue is written about what time?
3. What did Miss Kenton call Stevens' father one day?
4. How can Stevens' personality be described?
5. What does Stevens tell his father after the accident?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)