|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Lord Darlington's hope for the conference?
(a) Develop a coalition to provide aid to Germany
(b) That it will start on time
(c) That it will be the last one he has to host
(d) That everyone will have a good time
2. What does Stevens consider it to be to talk about a former employer?
(a) Casual conversation
3. Miss Kenton could be a solution for what problem at Darlington Hall?
4. How does Stevens feel about serving at Darlington Hall for so many years?
5. Where did Stevens spend the night?
(a) A 4-star hotel in London
(b) A guest house in Salisbury
(c) A Holiday Inn
(d) A bed and breakfast in Devonshire
6. Stevens realizes that he is ______________ when asked about employment with Lord Darlington.
7. What is the subject of Miss Kenton's letter?
(a) She has a terminal illness
(b) She is starting a restaurant
(c) She is recently divorced with no future plans
(d) She is moving to the United States
8. To what does Stevens compare being asked about a former employer in the presence of a current one?
(a) A divorced woman with her current husband present
(b) Being stopped by a police officer
(c) Being caught shoplifting
(d) A student in the principal's office
9. Stevens does not want people to get the idea that he is ___________________ about working for Lord Darlington.
10. Who assists Stevens with his problem?
(b) Traveling salesman
11. What is Stevens able to do in his position of head butler at the conference?
(a) Garners information from all the dignitaries
(b) Arranges for evening entertainment
(c) Have some brandy with the men after the meeting ends
(d) Control who sleeps in the different rooms
12. In what country does Mr. Stevens life?
(c) United States
13. Why does Stevens awaken early?
(a) A faulty alarm clock
(b) A noisy neighbor
(c) Unfamiliar surroundings
(d) A rooster crowed
14. Who is the best butler Stevens has ever seen?
(a) His mentor
(b) His grandfather
(c) His father
(d) His uncle
15. What happens to the car as Stevens continues on his trip?
(a) The windshield gets cracked by a rock
(b) It emits a heated smell
(c) It gets a flat tire
(d) It gets a bad oil leak
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Stevens, what is another characteristic of a great butler?
2. How much has Mr. Stevens traveled in his life?
3. What does Mr. Faraday call Mr. Stevens when he learns of Mr. Stevens' plans to visit Miss Kenton?
4. Under whom did Stevens train as a butler?
5. What does the doctor do after attending to the elder Mr. Stevens?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)