|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Miss Kenton brought to Stevens' office at Darlington Hall one day?
(a) Fresh flowers
(d) New curtains
2. Where did Stevens spend the night?
(a) A guest house in Salisbury
(b) A 4-star hotel in London
(c) A Holiday Inn
(d) A bed and breakfast in Devonshire
3. Why does Stevens' answer put Mr. Farraday in an awkward spot?
(a) Mr. Farraday did not like Lord Darlington
(b) Mr. Farraday had told his guests about Stevens' career with Lord Darlington
(c) Mr. Farraday does not want Stevens speaking to his guests
(d) The staff should not speak unless spoken to
4. What was Stevens' father's profession?
5. What is Mr. Stevens' profession?
6. In what country does Mr. Stevens life?
(c) United States
7. What nationality is Mr. Faraday?
8. What had Stevens said about employment by Lord Darlington when asked by a guest of Mr. Farraday's?
(a) He denied it
(b) He hated it
(c) He loved it
(d) He is glad it is over
9. Miss Kenton could be a solution for what problem at Darlington Hall?
10. How much has Mr. Stevens traveled in his life?
(a) Once every six months
(c) Very little
(d) Once a month
11. What is the overall goal of the conference?
(a) Establish the United Nations
(b) Determine who should be the next ruler of Germany
(c) Freeze German reparation payments and withdraw French troops
(d) Discuss the demise of the British monarchy
12. How does Stevens recall the time of the conference?
(a) Something that he hopes will not be repeated
(b) With pride for persevering personally and professionally
(c) One of the worst times of his life
(d) With relief that it is over
13. What quality does Stevens thinks makes a good butler?
14. How does the encounter with the old man at the forest symbolize Stevens' personality?
(a) He can't see the forest for the trees
(b) He is kind-hearted
(c) He is always headed in the wrong direction
(d) He is on the edge of the road
15. Voicing his comparisons of himself to other butlers would be ____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the state of Miss Kenton's marriage?
2. What does Stevens consider the comments people still make about Lord Darlington?
3. Who is in charge of staffing at Darlington Hall?
4. Where are the elder Mr. Stevens' tasks outlined?
5. How can Stevens' father's demeanor best be described?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)