|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stevens consider the comments people still make about Lord Darlington?
2. What has been the nature of Mr. Stevens' trips?
(a) Outings for professional duties
(b) Family holidays
(c) Family vacations
(d) Annual vacations
3. What book does Mr. Stevens consult before leaving on his trip?
(a) The Back Roads of England
(b) Visit the British Isles
(c) God's Country
(d) The Wonder of England
4. Stevens watches some people who are doing what?
5. What was Stevens' father's profession?
6. What had Stevens said about employment by Lord Darlington when asked by a guest of Mr. Farraday's?
(a) He loved it
(b) He denied it
(c) He is glad it is over
(d) He hated it
7. Where did Stevens spend the night?
(a) A guest house in Salisbury
(b) A 4-star hotel in London
(c) A bed and breakfast in Devonshire
(d) A Holiday Inn
8. Why does Miss Kenton interrupt the conference to beckon Stevens out of the room?
(a) There is not enough brandy for after dinner drinks
(b) There is a phone call for the French representative
(c) Stevens' father collapsed and they are waiting for a doctor
(d) The cook has burned the duck for dinner
9. What is the state of the relationship between Mr. Stevens and Mr. Faraday?
10. What does Stevens fear will belie his true feelings about Lord Darlington?
(a) Little white lies
(d) Melancholy musings
11. Where does Stevens go to admire some natural beauty?
(a) A woods
(b) A hilltop
(c) A meadow
(d) A nearby pond
12. How can Stevens' father's demeanor best be described?
(c) Quiet reserve
13. Voicing his comparisons of himself to other butlers would be ____________.
14. By what is a great household judged?
(a) Its religious affiliations
(b) Moral fiber and contributions to society
(c) How well the grounds are manicured
(d) How many parties it has
15. Stevens does not want people to get the idea that he is ___________________ about working for Lord Darlington.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the current number of staff at Darlington Hall?
2. What accident does the elder Mr. Stevens have one day?
3. What is the overall goal of the conference?
4. How does Stevens feel about this widely accepted position?
5. What does Stevens feel has happened to Lord Darlington's reputation?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)