|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Treaty of Versailles
(a) The peace agreement between Germany and the Allies
(b) Marie Antoinette's coronation document
(c) Louis XIV's declaration of peace
(d) A French document stored in a museum
2. What has been the nature of Mr. Stevens' trips?
(a) Outings for professional duties
(b) Annual vacations
(c) Family holidays
(d) Family vacations
3. Why does Miss Kenton interrupt the conference to beckon Stevens out of the room?
(a) There is not enough brandy for after dinner drinks
(b) There is a phone call for the French representative
(c) Stevens' father collapsed and they are waiting for a doctor
(d) The cook has burned the duck for dinner
4. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
(a) New luggage
(b) New clothes
(c) New car
(d) New books
5. What does Stevens tell his father after the accident?
(a) The elder Mr. Stevens' duties have to be reassigned
(b) His father needs a month-long holiday
(c) His father needs to see a doctor
(d) The elder Mr. Stevens can no longer work at Darlington
6. How long has Miss Kenton been gone?
(a) 15 years
(b) 2 years
(c) 20 years
(d) 10 years
7. When Mr. Stevens encounters an old man on the road, what does the old man say?
(a) He is waiting on a bus
(b) He needs a ride to the next town
(c) He prefers to walk
(d) He invites Stevens into the woods to enjoy the view
8. Stevens' behavior indicates that he is haunted by ______________________.
(a) a lost love
(b) feelings for his father
(c) some ethical situation
(d) ghosts in the mansion
9. What does Mr. Stevens consider critical to his work?
(b) Organizational skills
10. Who is in charge of staffing at Darlington Hall?
(a) Miss Kenton
(b) Mr. Stevens
(c) Lord Darlington
(d) Mr. Faraday
11. Why has Stevens missed out on a normal life?
(a) He does not drive
(b) He is devoted to his job
(c) He is too shy to get married
(d) He does not like meeting new people
12. According to Stevens, a butler must have ________________________ as well as a working knowledge on a number of subjects.
(a) a driver's license
(b) new clothes
(c) strong faith
(d) a command of the language
13. What is Lord Darlington's hope for the conference?
(a) That everyone will have a good time
(b) That it will be the last one he has to host
(c) Develop a coalition to provide aid to Germany
(d) That it will start on time
14. What does Stevens consider the comments people still make about Lord Darlington?
15. What determines a great household?
(a) Horse stables
(b) Social status and nobility
(c) A swimming pool
(d) Sculptured gardens
Short Answer Questions
1. Voicing his comparisons of himself to other butlers would be ____________.
2. How many dignitaries are expected?
3. What does Stevens feel has happened to Lord Darlington's reputation?
4. What does this road trip supply for Stevens?
5. According to Stevens, a good butler is probably born with ______________, as it is something that cannot be taught.
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)