|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Stevens, a good butler is probably born with ______________, as it is something that cannot be taught.
(c) Good taste
2. What was Stevens' father's profession?
3. What did Mr. Stevens receive from Miss Kenton?
(a) Tickets to the theater
(b) A letter
(c) A birthday card
(d) A Christmas gift
4. What book does Mr. Stevens consult before leaving on his trip?
(a) The Back Roads of England
(b) Visit the British Isles
(c) The Wonder of England
(d) God's Country
5. What does Stevens answer when asked if he had ever worked for Lord Darlington?
(a) He is currently employed by Mr. Farraday
(b) He was glad to be rid of Lord Darlington
(c) He was proud of his service to Lord Darlington
(d) Lord Darlington was always good to him
6. What is Lord Darlington's hope for the conference?
(a) That it will be the last one he has to host
(b) Develop a coalition to provide aid to Germany
(c) That it will start on time
(d) That everyone will have a good time
7. What does Stevens consider it to be to talk about a former employer?
(d) Casual conversation
8. What does Stevens think about in the time before breakfast?
(a) Getting directions
(b) Miss Kenton's letter
(c) A noise the car made
(d) Buying an umbrella
9. What happens to the car as Stevens continues on his trip?
(a) The windshield gets cracked by a rock
(b) It gets a flat tire
(c) It emits a heated smell
(d) It gets a bad oil leak
10. By what is a great household judged?
(a) Its religious affiliations
(b) Moral fiber and contributions to society
(c) How many parties it has
(d) How well the grounds are manicured
11. What does the elder Mr. Stevens tell Stevens?
(a) He wants to make out his will
(b) He loves him and is proud of him
(c) Stevens should marry Miss Kenton
(d) He would like some wine with dinner
12. How long has Miss Kenton been gone?
(a) 15 years
(b) 2 years
(c) 10 years
(d) 20 years
13. How long has Mr. Stevens been employed in this position?
(a) 25 years
(b) 30 years
(c) 20 years
(d) 3 years
14. What is the Treaty of Versailles
(a) Marie Antoinette's coronation document
(b) A French document stored in a museum
(c) The peace agreement between Germany and the Allies
(d) Louis XIV's declaration of peace
15. What does the doctor do after attending to the elder Mr. Stevens?
(a) Plays golf with the delegates
(b) Attends the French delegate who has a foot problem
(c) Has tea with Lord Darlington
(d) Writes out a bill
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of Miss Kenton's letter?
2. In what country does Mr. Stevens life?
3. What is the state of Miss Kenton's marriage?
4. Under whom did Stevens train as a butler?
5. Who is Miss Kenton?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)