|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has been the nature of Mr. Stevens' trips?
(a) Outings for professional duties
(b) Family holidays
(c) Annual vacations
(d) Family vacations
2. Where has Mr. Stevens been employed for many years?
(a) British Secret Service
(b) Darlington Hall
(d) Scotland Yard
3. What does Stevens feel has happened to Lord Darlington's reputation?
(a) It is tarnished
(b) It is revered
(c) It is destroyed
(d) It is glowing
4. Who is Mr. Stevens' current employer?
(a) Winston Churchill
(b) Mr. Farraday
(c) Tony Blair
(d) Margaret Thatcher
5. When did Lord Darlington host a conference of important men from around the world?
(a) May 1925
(b) April 1923
(c) March 1923
(d) March 1939
6. What is Mr. Stevens' demeanor?
(c) Very proper
7. Where did Stevens spend the night?
(a) A Holiday Inn
(b) A 4-star hotel in London
(c) A bed and breakfast in Devonshire
(d) A guest house in Salisbury
8. What does the elder Mr. Stevens tell Stevens?
(a) Stevens should marry Miss Kenton
(b) He wants to make out his will
(c) He would like some wine with dinner
(d) He loves him and is proud of him
9. What literary device does the author use when describing Stevens' last chance to see a spectacular view?
10. What does the car need?
(b) A new windshield
(c) A new tire
(d) Water for the radiator
11. What is Mr. Stevens considering at point in time?
(a) Taking a road trip
(b) Starting his own business
(d) Getting married
12. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
(a) New books
(b) New car
(c) New clothes
(d) New luggage
13. Who is Miss Kenton?
(a) Mr. Faraday's assistant
(b) A chef at Darlington Hall
(c) Mr. Stevens' sister
(d) A former housekeeper at Darlington Hall
14. Voicing his comparisons of himself to other butlers would be ____________.
15. What determines a great household?
(a) Social status and nobility
(b) Sculptured gardens
(c) Horse stables
(d) A swimming pool
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stevens fear will belie his true feelings about Lord Darlington?
2. Where are the elder Mr. Stevens' tasks outlined?
3. What is the state of the relationship between Mr. Stevens and Mr. Faraday?
4. Under whom did Stevens train as a butler?
5. What can be enjoyed at the top of the hill?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)