|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Stevens' father's profession?
2. According to Stevens, what is another characteristic of a great butler?
(a) Having good posture
(b) Serving in a great household
(c) Knowing proper etiquette
(d) Being able to stand for a long time
3. What is the Treaty of Versailles
(a) A French document stored in a museum
(b) The peace agreement between Germany and the Allies
(c) Louis XIV's declaration of peace
(d) Marie Antoinette's coronation document
4. What has been the nature of Mr. Stevens' trips?
(a) Family vacations
(b) Family holidays
(c) Outings for professional duties
(d) Annual vacations
5. Voicing his comparisons of himself to other butlers would be ____________.
6. What does the elder Mr. Stevens tell Stevens?
(a) He would like some wine with dinner
(b) He wants to make out his will
(c) Stevens should marry Miss Kenton
(d) He loves him and is proud of him
7. How long has Mr. Stevens been employed in this position?
(a) 20 years
(b) 3 years
(c) 25 years
(d) 30 years
8. By what is a great household judged?
(a) Its religious affiliations
(b) How well the grounds are manicured
(c) Moral fiber and contributions to society
(d) How many parties it has
9. Why has Stevens missed out on a normal life?
(a) He is too shy to get married
(b) He is devoted to his job
(c) He does not drive
(d) He does not like meeting new people
10. How does the encounter with the old man at the forest symbolize Stevens' personality?
(a) He is always headed in the wrong direction
(b) He is kind-hearted
(c) He can't see the forest for the trees
(d) He is on the edge of the road
11. What book does Mr. Stevens consult before leaving on his trip?
(a) The Wonder of England
(b) The Back Roads of England
(c) Visit the British Isles
(d) God's Country
12. What does Mr. Stevens consider critical to his work?
(d) Organizational skills
13. How many dignitaries are expected?
14. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
(a) New car
(b) New luggage
(c) New books
(d) New clothes
15. What is Mr. Stevens' demeanor?
(a) Very proper
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stevens recall the time of the conference?
2. Stevens watches some people who are doing what?
3. What did Miss Kenton call Stevens' father one day?
4. Stevens does not want people to get the idea that he is ___________________ about working for Lord Darlington.
5. What does Stevens feel has happened to Lord Darlington's reputation?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)