|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stevens fear will belie his true feelings about Lord Darlington?
(a) Melancholy musings
(b) Little white lies
2. How much has Mr. Stevens traveled in his life?
(a) Once a month
(c) Once every six months
(d) Very little
3. How does Stevens feel about serving at Darlington Hall for so many years?
4. When did Lord Darlington host a conference of important men from around the world?
(a) March 1923
(b) May 1925
(c) March 1939
(d) April 1923
5. What is the subject of Miss Kenton's letter?
(a) She has a terminal illness
(b) She is moving to the United States
(c) She is recently divorced with no future plans
(d) She is starting a restaurant
6. What does Stevens feel has happened to Lord Darlington's reputation?
(a) It is tarnished
(b) It is revered
(c) It is destroyed
(d) It is glowing
7. Voicing his comparisons of himself to other butlers would be ____________.
8. What is Mr. Stevens considering at point in time?
(a) Getting married
(c) Starting his own business
(d) Taking a road trip
9. What is Mr. Stevens' demeanor?
(b) Very proper
10. In what country does Mr. Stevens life?
(c) United States
11. What question does Stevens ponder as he drives?
(a) Did he turn in the grocer's order?
(b) What qualities makes a good butler?
(c) Did he turn off the oven?
(d) Did he polish the silver?
12. The Prologue is written about what time?
(a) July 1956
(b) September 1954
(c) May 1957
(d) April 1956
13. Stevens does not want people to get the idea that he is ___________________ about working for Lord Darlington.
14. How does Stevens feel about this widely accepted position?
15. What had Miss Kenton brought to Stevens' office at Darlington Hall one day?
(a) New curtains
(c) Fresh flowers
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in charge of staffing at Darlington Hall?
2. Who is the best butler Stevens has ever seen?
3. What does Mr. Stevens hope to purchase before his trip?
4. What does Stevens consider it to be to talk about a former employer?
5. Why does Stevens' answer put Mr. Farraday in an awkward spot?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)