|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In discussing the difference gender makes in perceptions of war, Sontag agrees with which of the following authors?
(a) Joyce Carol Oates.
(b) Virginia Woolf.
(c) Tyler Hicks.
(d) Henry James.
2. Which was the first war to be "covered" by professional war journalists at the front lines?
(a) The American Civil War.
(b) World War II.
(c) The Spanish Civil War.
(d) World War I.
3. Which famous surrealist thinker does Sontag quote as saying "Beauty will be convulsive, or it will not be?"
(a) Andre Breton.
(b) Pablo Picasso.
(c) Virginia Woolf.
(d) Salvador Dali.
4. Sontag describes a famous photograph from the Spanish Civil War in which two things occur simultaneously. What are those two things?
(a) The photograph was snapped and the soldier was hit by a bullet.
(b) A soldier was shot and the commander surrendered.
(c) A shot was fired and a soldier fell.
(d) A boy died and a helicopter landed.
5. Sontag lists which of the following as images that the artist "makes"?
(a) Paintings and photographs.
(b) Photographs and etchings.
(c) Drawings and paintings.
(d) Etchings and drawings.
6. Sontag argues that creating lasting interest in war image requires which of the following?
(a) A large budget from advertising.
(b) A brave star witness.
(c) A plethora of shocking images.
(d) A reputation for cutting-edge journalism.
7. According to Sontag, "to photograph is to frame, and to frame is to _______".
8. Sontag discusses one year in European history in which the photograph was able to truly capture the nature of human atrocities. Which year was it?
9. Which of the following images was often thought to represent a mother, looking tellingly into the sky during an air raid of the Spanish Civil War?
(a) "Land Distribution Meeting, Extremadura, Spain, 1936"
(b) "War Against War!"
(c) "Mother and Child, Barcelona, Spain, 1936"
10. Which of the following pairs of images appeared side-by-side in a 1937 issue of "Life"?
(a) A mother holding her child while looking at the sky and Vitalis men's hair cream.
(b) A dying Republican soldier and Vitalis men's hair cream.
(c) The bombing of Guernica and Vitalis men's hair cream.
(d) A dying Republican soldier and a mother holding her child while looking at the sky.
11. Sontag discusses the use of images of the dead to bolster hatred of the enemy. Which of the following recent events, aired on the Al Jazeera network, does she use as an example?
(a) The hanging of Sadam Hussein.
(b) The invasion of Iraq in 2003.
(c) The destruction of the Jenin refugee camp in 2002.
(d) The destruction of the Word Trade Center in 2001.
12. According to Sontag, photographs of atrocities are best received if they are:
(a) Well-lit and high-contrast.
(b) Images of familiar places or people.
(c) Close-ups of compelling scenes.
(d) So artistically simple as to seem uncomposed.
13. Photography on the war front was first banned in an organized fashion during which of the following wars?
(a) The Spanish Civil War.
(b) The Boer War.
(c) World War I.
(d) World War II.
14. According to Sontag, photojournalism was used post-9/11 to:
(a) Inform the public of the event.
(b) Increase sensitivity toward Middle-Eastern Americans.
(c) Increase support for military action.
(d) Promote messages of peace and pacificism.
15. Although the camera captures the scene in front of it, Sontag suggests that the ______ may manipulate the image.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which was the first war to be covered by television cameras?
2. Fenton's "The Valley of the Shadow of Death" is unique for which of the following reasons?
3. Noting the long history of the "iconography of suffering," Sontag lists three types of art which depict incredible agony. Which of the following is NOT one of them?
4. Goya's "Los Desastres de la Guerra" (The Disasters of War) was a series of etchings published in 1863. Which of the following events does this series depict?
5. Sontag suggests that a catastrophic event that is experienced in real life. . .
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)