|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Sontag, anti-war sentiment:
(a) Emerged in the arts across Europe after World War I.
(b) Produced peace.
(c) Was considered treasonous.
(d) Overcame the militarized frenzy of the war years.
2. A heated debate emerged when a weekly paper in Boston ran a video of which American journalist's execution in Pakistan?
(a) Ariel Sharon.
(b) Daniel Pearl.
(c) Eddie Adams.
(d) Don McCullin.
3. According to Sontag, why do images of atrocities fail to convey a singular, universal message?
(a) They require context and explanation.
(b) They are inappropriate for mass publication.
(c) They inspire only disgust.
(d) They are too graphic.
4. Discussing the "co-spectatorship" and "indecency" of the image of the Vietcong suspect's execution, Sontag asserts which of the following?
(a) The shooting would not have occurred in the absence of journalists to record it.
(b) The presence of journalists was an invasion of the executed man's privacy.
(c) General Loan was unaware of the cameras at the time of the execution.
(d) The photographer arranged the execution in advance.
5. Sontag notes that post-colonial Africa is most commonly known to the American public based on a series of which of the following groups of images?
(a) Images of post-war development and national improvement.
(b) Still images of freedom fighters, revolutionary independence movements, and guerrilla insurgencies.
(c) Images of American aid groups, support-a-child network assistants, and refugee camps.
(d) Photographs of the famine fields of Biafra, the Rwandan genocide, and the AIDS epidemic.
6. Sontag describes the way people experienced televised images of war in their own homes as which of the following?
(a) Mediated intimacy.
(b) Comfortable distance.
(c) Diplomatic distance.
7. Fenton received directions from the War Office to do which of the following?
(a) Glorify war through patriotic images.
(b) Graphically depict the horrors of war.
(c) Generate propaganda for Britain.
(d) Avoid photographing the ill, wounded, dying and dead.
8. Sontag argues that Woolf's view, like many other "antiwar polemicists" is:
9. Which painting does Sontag "find it difficult" to look at?
(a) Titian's painting of the flaying of Marsyas.
(b) Picasso's "Guernica."
(c) Callot's "The Miseries and Misfortunes of War."
(d) Da Vinci's "The Last Supper."
10. Krieg dem Kriege contains images captioned in which four languages?
(a) German, French, English and Spanish.
(b) German, French, Dutch and English.
(c) German, French, English and Russian.
(d) German, French, English and Japanese.
11. Sontag lists which of the following as images that the artist "takes"?
12. Photography on the war front was first banned in an organized fashion during which of the following wars?
(a) World War II.
(b) World War I.
(c) The Spanish Civil War.
(d) The Boer War.
13. "The Killing Fields" depicts which of the following?
(a) The mass deaths during the Spanish Civil War.
(b) The casualties of Bunker Hill.
(c) The dead and dying of the Korean War.
(d) The atrocities committed by the Khmer Rouge.
14. Sontag discusses the subtitle of "Here is New York" in some detail. What was this subtitle?
(a) "A Democracy of Images."
(b) "A Nation in Shock."
(c) "September 11th, 2001."
(d) "A City Mourns."
15. Images of the Gulf War were filtered to portray the "techno war." The public was exposed to only those images that portrayed which of the following sentiments?
(a) American military mercy.
(b) Savagery of conventional warfare, compared to American techno war.
(c) American military superiority over the enemy.
(d) Wondrous technological advancements.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sontag claims that "good taste" is always _________ when invoked by institutions.
2. Which of the following pairs of images appeared side-by-side in a 1937 issue of "Life"?
3. Fenton's "The Valley of the Shadow of Death" is unique for which of the following reasons?
4. Who took the infamous image of Brigadier General Nguyen Ngoc Loan executing a Vietcong suspect in the street?
5. Sontag argues that we are most disappointed to discover that which type of photographs have been staged?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)