|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sontag discusses a famous series of photographs taken by Tyler Hicks, titled "A Nation Challenged." What does this series depict?
(a) A wounded Taliban soldier.
(b) Osama Bin Laden.
(c) Hugo Chavez.
(d) The destruction of the Twin Towers.
2. At the end of World War II, a group of journalists formed Magnum Photo Agency. Which of the following photographers was not among them?
(a) Robert Capa.
(b) David Seymour.
(c) Henri Cartier-Bresson.
(d) Ernst Friedrich.
3. According to Sontag, "to photograph is to frame, and to frame is to _______".
4. Photographic representations of the Vietnam War was essential to promoting:
(a) Patriotic sentiment.
(b) New methods of communication.
(c) The anti-war movement.
(d) International relations.
5. Which of the following included close-up images of soldiers wounded by war in his/her 1938 film?
(a) Ernst Friedrich.
(b) Virginia Woolf.
(d) Abel Gance.
6. Noting the long history of the "iconography of suffering," Sontag lists three types of art which depict incredible agony. Which of the following is NOT one of them?
(a) Images and scultpures of the Passion of Christ.
(b) Images of the martyrdom of the Christian saints.
(c) The Pieta.
(d) The statue of Laocoon and his sons.
7. Sontag argues that Woolf's view, like many other "antiwar polemicists" is:
8. After World War I, the general public thought of the War as:
(a) An atrocity committed on the world stage.
(b) The war to end all wars.
(c) A clean, necessary and effectively fought war.
(d) A hopeless waste of human energy and life.
9. U.S. bombing of Afghanistan was conducted remotely from which of the following locations?
(a) Tampa, Florida
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) Quantico, Virginia.
(d) The Pentagon.
10. Which of the following images was often thought to represent a mother, looking tellingly into the sky during an air raid of the Spanish Civil War?
(a) "Land Distribution Meeting, Extremadura, Spain, 1936"
(b) "Mother and Child, Barcelona, Spain, 1936"
(d) "War Against War!"
11. Paraphrasing Woolf, Sontag states that the privileged class fails to respond to images of war with the appropriate pain. She describes this as a:
(a) Failure of wealth.
(b) Failure of empathy and imagination.
(c) Failure of ignorance.
(d) Failure to behave humanely.
12. Which of the following pairs of images appeared side-by-side in a 1937 issue of "Life"?
(a) A dying Republican soldier and Vitalis men's hair cream.
(b) A dying Republican soldier and a mother holding her child while looking at the sky.
(c) The bombing of Guernica and Vitalis men's hair cream.
(d) A mother holding her child while looking at the sky and Vitalis men's hair cream.
13. Which of the following magazines was NOT devoted entirely to photography?
(a) Picture Post.
(c) National Geographic.
14. Which of the following is true about representations of the dead or dying in American media?
(a) The faces of the dead and dying from "exotic" places are more likely to be shown.
(b) American news media applies the same standards of decency to all victims, regardless of country of origin.
(c) American journalism favors American subjects, often overlooking people in "remote" places.
(d) FCC laws prohibit the printing of images including the faces of war victims.
15. Images of the Gulf War were filtered to portray the "techno war." The public was exposed to only those images that portrayed which of the following sentiments?
(a) American military superiority over the enemy.
(b) Savagery of conventional warfare, compared to American techno war.
(c) American military mercy.
(d) Wondrous technological advancements.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many images did the "Here Is New York" exhibit originally receive?
2. Sontag claims that Jacques Callot's 1633 painting, "The Miseries and Misfortunes of War" was unprecedented for which of the following reasons?
3. Sontag discusses "Here Is New York," a photography exhibit depicting September 11th. Whom did the organizers ask to contribute photographs?
4. Although the camera captures the scene in front of it, Sontag suggests that the ______ may manipulate the image.
5. Sontag suggests that a catastrophic event that is experienced in real life. . .
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)