|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Restrictions on media coverage of the British campaign in the Falklands was notable for which of the following reasons?
(a) They prohibited foreign journalists from covering the story.
(b) They opened the event to full-scale television coverage.
(c) They were stricter than any censorship since the Crimean War.
(d) They allowed only government-sponsored journalists.
2. Sontag lists which of the following as images that the artist "makes"?
(a) Paintings and photographs.
(b) Etchings and drawings.
(c) Drawings and paintings.
(d) Photographs and etchings.
3. Sontag lists many effects of photographs depicting war victims. Which of the following was not one of the effects she lists?
(a) "They reiterate."
(b) "They inspire."
(c) "They simplify."
(d) "They create the illusion of consensus."
4. In interpreting photographs, Sontag claims that everyone approaches the image as which of the following?
(a) A realist.
(b) An idealist.
(c) A literalist.
(d) A critic.
5. The footage from a 1898 charge of Colonel Roosevelt's volunteer cavalry, the Rough Riders, was replaced with film of a staged charge later for which of the following reasons?
(a) The footage of the actual event was not dramatic enough.
(b) The photographer lost the film reel.
(c) The lighting on the day of the event was insufficient.
(d) Colonel Roosevelt was unsatisfied with the footage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paraphrasing Woolf, Sontag states that the privileged class fails to respond to images of war with the appropriate pain. She describes this as a:
2. The mass media bombarded viewers with shocking images because:
3. Sontag compares the desire for images of people in pain to which other recurrent type of image?
4. Recalling traditions of the 16th and 17th century, Sontag claims that printing images of dark-skinned people in moments of suffering or pain is part of a long tradition of which of the following?
5. The conflicts in the Balkans in the 1990s stood out to many onlookers for which of the following reasons?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)