|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Sontag, "to photograph is to frame, and to frame is to _______".
2. Sontag lists which of the following as images that the artist "makes"?
(a) Drawings and paintings.
(b) Paintings and photographs.
(c) Photographs and etchings.
(d) Etchings and drawings.
3. Sontag, confirming Walter Lippmann's assertion, argues that photography replaced which of the following media for representing the truth?
(a) Eye-witness testimonies.
(b) Religious texts such as the Bible.
(c) Scientific studies.
(d) Artistic representations such as paintings or drawings.
4. Sontag argues that the most extensive kind of censorship is which of the following?
(a) Government censorship.
(b) Military censorship.
(c) The censorship implied by public sensibility.
(d) The self-censorship of broadcast companies.
5. Paraphrasing Woolf, Sontag states that the privileged class fails to respond to images of war with the appropriate pain. She describes this as a:
(a) Failure of empathy and imagination.
(b) Failure of wealth.
(c) Failure of ignorance.
(d) Failure to behave humanely.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sontag argues that Woolf's view, like many other "antiwar polemicists" is:
2. Images of the Gulf War were filtered to portray the "techno war." The public was exposed to only those images that portrayed which of the following sentiments?
3. In its early days, photography was thought to:
4. Sontag discusses the subtitle of "Here is New York" in some detail. What was this subtitle?
5. Who took the infamous image of Brigadier General Nguyen Ngoc Loan executing a Vietcong suspect in the street?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)