|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ultimately, Sontag claims that war is:
2. Sontag suggests that the camera always "kept company with _________".
3. Sontag describes the way people experienced televised images of war in their own homes as which of the following?
(a) Mediated intimacy.
(b) Comfortable distance.
(c) Diplomatic distance.
4. Sontag lists many effects of photographs depicting war victims. Which of the following was not one of the effects she lists?
(a) "They simplify."
(b) "They create the illusion of consensus."
(c) "They inspire."
(d) "They reiterate."
5. In discussing the difference gender makes in perceptions of war, Sontag agrees with which of the following authors?
(a) Virginia Woolf.
(b) Joyce Carol Oates.
(c) Henry James.
(d) Tyler Hicks.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sontag, photographs of atrocities are best received if they are:
2. Which was the first war to be "covered" by professional war journalists at the front lines?
3. Paraphrasing Woolf, Sontag states that the privileged class fails to respond to images of war with the appropriate pain. She describes this as a:
4. Krieg dem Kriege contains images captioned in which four languages?
5. Sontag argues that technological advances changed the way the public understands war by:
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)