|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mr.Demouy's office stink?
2. How long has Steve gone without getting busted at school for drugs?
3. Who had invited Dub and Steve to a party after the homecoming dance?
4. After getting very drunk, who drove Steve home?
5. Steve said that his sister "might sign a pact with the devil", but who would she check him out with first?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Toby the Party at Wakefield and why was that his nickname?
2. What caused Steve York to end up in the senior counselor's office?
3. What differences are obvious between the two Merit Finalists at Wakefield High?
4. Describe the scene where Sarah asks for Steve's help to gain permission to go the Pearl Jam concert.
5. Describe two members of the GOD club.
6. Doug Chappell is Steve's best friend who has formed a club at school for what reason?
7. The day before the homecoming dance, what does Steve do to prepare?
8. What did his father want him to read in Houston, Sophomore Year?
9. The blue envelopes sitting on the bar Steve's senior year are significant why?
10. Describe the scene in San Diego, senior year when Steve is in Mr. Demouy's office and what Mr. Demouy has to say.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship that Steve has with his father.
Part 1) Describe the relationship between Steve and his father at the beginning of the story. Compare that to the relationship of Steve and his mother.
Part 2) In what way does the relationship between Steve and his father change over the course of the book? What is the reason for the majority of the change?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) What did Mr. Waters mean when he told Steve that you cannot write about love until you have had your heart broken?
Part 2) Was it possible that Mr. Waters was contemplating a relationship with Dub at that point?
Part 3) Why did Mr. Waters give Steve a copy of the school yearbook as a gift?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Steve to his father.
Part 1) Are the similarities between Steve and his father realistic?
Part 2) Is there anything shown to the reader that shows how much they are alike earlier in the story?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)