|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elizabeth's diagnosis?
2. "Instead of being Depressed Girl, I'm _______ Girl."
3. Which drug does Dr. Sterling give her for her anxiety while at Stillman?
4. What reruns does Elizabeth watch late at night?
5. What book is Elizabeth reading when she is in the infirmary?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elizabeth's Space, Time and Motion class become symbolic of?
2. Elizabeth says if she had any purpose at all, what would she do in London?
3. What about the Dallas music industry surprises Elizabeth when she arrives?
4. Elizabeth starts to cry continuously with Rafe. While talking with Dr. Sterling, what do they decide the reason for this is?
5. Why does Dr. Sterling give Elizabeth Mellaril, the antipsychotic known to help schizophrenics?
6. Elizabeth says there are two types of dysfunctional families. What are they?
7. Why is Archer the perfect person for Elizabeth to visit after a breakup?
8. Describe Elizabeth's first conversation with Rafe on the phone. Why does she say she's calling him? Why do they continue talking?
9. What does Elizabeth's mother think Elizabeth should do to get better? What does Dr. Sterling suggest instead and why?
10. What does Barnaby expect because he shows her around town and picks her up from the airport?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wurtzel begins the novel with a quote from Marguerite Duras' "The Lover" which reads, "Very early in my life it was too late." Why do you think this quote was chosen by Wurtzel? What significance does it have and how does it set the tone for the novel from the start?
Essay Topic 2
At various points in her life, Elizabeth will feel extreme highs followed by extreme lows. How is this conveyed in the novel? How are the words chosen, descriptions and tone combined together in order to convey the highs or lows of her life at any point in the novel. Use three specific examples to demonstrate an emotional period for her and how the writing helped to demonstrate the emotion during that time.
Essay Topic 3
Wurtzel jumps from doctor to doctor when her mental health begins to deteriorate at age 12. What kind of impact do you think this has on her development and diagnosis of the disease? Do you think the impact is positive or negative? Why? Use specific examples with various doctors to support your theory.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)