Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Elizabeth's diagnosis?
2. "And the thing about my mom is that she's totally nuts, but she's very _________."
3. According to Elizabeth, her roommate Samantha is a certain kind of "fucked up" -- what is her ailment?
4. What is the name of Samantha's ex-boyfriend?
5. What do her friends suggest she read instead in order to be happy to be alive?
Essay Topic 1
Elizabeth's writing style in the book is unusual. She will jump from a standard font to an italicized one. What impact does this have for the reader? Does it change the tone of the novel? Why or why not? What contribution does it make for the overall story? Does it encourage the reader to relate more to Elizabeth or feel more disconnected from her? Use specific examples from the novel to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Wurtzel jumps from doctor to doctor when her mental health begins to deteriorate at age 12. What kind of impact do you think this has on her development and diagnosis of the disease? Do you think the impact is positive or negative? Why? Use specific examples with various doctors to support your theory.
Essay Topic 3
Elizabeth realizes she has fallen in love with her depression. Explain this statement, including why she needs her depression so much at this point in her life.
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)