|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rhoda Koenig?
2. What do her friends suggest she read instead in order to be happy to be alive?
3. What is the only way Elizabeth sleeps after leaving Rafe each weekend?
4. Who does Elizabeth call after getting off the phone with her mother?
5. Who does Dr. Sterling contact with Elizabeth's permission?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Elizabeth's first conversation with Rafe on the phone. Why does she say she's calling him? Why do they continue talking?
2. What does Elizabeth's mother think Elizabeth should do to get better? What does Dr. Sterling suggest instead and why?
3. Describe the apartment that Elizabeth moves into after her stay in Dallas.
4. What does Barnaby expect because he shows her around town and picks her up from the airport?
5. Why does Dr. Sterling give Elizabeth Mellaril, the antipsychotic known to help schizophrenics?
6. Why does Dr. Sterling give Elizabeth Xanax instead of an antidepressant, which she believes is more appropriate for her issues?
7. Elizabeth cries over a movie when she is younger. What is the movie? Why does she cry after this movie? What is her mother's reaction? Is her mother's interpretation correct? Why or why not?
8. What does Elizabeth's mom tell her that makes her disease become a reality to her?
9. Why does Elizabeth finally learn her diagnosis now?
10. Elizabeth says if she had any purpose at all, what would she do in London?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Secondary characters play a large role in Elizabeth's life at various times. Choose at least 5 different secondary characters and explain their significance at crucial moments in Elizabeth's life. What would have changed for Elizabeth if they had not been there? Were they positive influences or negative ones? Do you think they understood how sick Elizabeth truly was with depression at the time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How do Elizabeth's friend react to her suicide attempt? Is this a normal response? Give the reactions of two of her friends and analyze their reactions to Elizabeth's suicide attempt.
Essay Topic 3
Wurtzel jumps from doctor to doctor when her mental health begins to deteriorate at age 12. What kind of impact do you think this has on her development and diagnosis of the disease? Do you think the impact is positive or negative? Why? Use specific examples with various doctors to support your theory.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)