|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Elizabeth says she comes from a family of:
2. What happens to Elizabeth's mother?
3. "Drinking in _______ was a lot more fun than it had ever been anywhere else, although I couldn't say why."
4. What does Manuel say that Elizabeth must see before leaving London?
5. How does Elizabeth get food poisoning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth refuse to appear on the Oprah! show?
2. What happens as soon as Elizabeth lands in Gatwick?
3. Describe the apartment that Elizabeth moves into after her stay in Dallas.
4. What does Dr. Sterling think that Elizabeth must continue to do while at Stillman Infirmary?
5. What does Barnaby expect because he shows her around town and picks her up from the airport?
6. Elizabeth starts to cry continuously with Rafe. While talking with Dr. Sterling, what do they decide the reason for this is?
7. What does Elizabeth find ironic about her decision to find a new psychologist?
8. Elizabeth says there are two types of dysfunctional families. What are they?
9. What about the Dallas music industry surprises Elizabeth when she arrives?
10. How do the doctors react when Elizabeth is brought into the hospital covered in blood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Elizabeth's diagnosis as having atypical depresion. Review her diagnosis against her actions in the book. Name three specific examples that explain her behavior in relation to her mental illness.
Essay Topic 2
Elizabeth's writing style in the book is unusual. She will jump from a standard font to an italicized one. What impact does this have for the reader? Does it change the tone of the novel? Why or why not? What contribution does it make for the overall story? Does it encourage the reader to relate more to Elizabeth or feel more disconnected from her? Use specific examples from the novel to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Elizabeth's description of her depression, taken from a quote by The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway, "Gradually, and then suddenly." Why do you think Elizabeth is attracted to this expression? What about her depression and how she deals with the disease fits into this quote? Use specific examples from the book to explain the "gradual" parts and then the "sudden" parts of Elizabeth's interaction with depression and how it comes to affect every aspect of her life.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)