|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in Texas does she move to?
2. How much time passes before Elizabeth and Rafe talk again?
3. What gives Elizabeth a renewed sense of hope?
4. Which of these is NOT a book that Elizabeth is taking with her?
5. Who is Debi Thomas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dr. Sterling think that Elizabeth must continue to do while at Stillman Infirmary?
2. What does Barnaby expect because he shows her around town and picks her up from the airport?
3. What does Elizabeth's mom tell her that makes her disease become a reality to her?
4. How do the doctors react when Elizabeth is brought into the hospital covered in blood?
5. How does Elizabeth feel when she first arrives in Dallas?
6. What does Elizabeth believe one of the terrible fallacies of contemporary psychotherapy is?
7. Why is Elizabeth's mother disappointed in her when she comes to visit her in Dallas?
8. How does Elizabeth describe the difference between madness and depression in relation to literature?
9. How does Elizabeth react to her miscarriage afterwards?
10. What does Elizabeth find ironic about her decision to find a new psychologist?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At various points in her life, Elizabeth will feel extreme highs followed by extreme lows. How is this conveyed in the novel? How are the words chosen, descriptions and tone combined together in order to convey the highs or lows of her life at any point in the novel. Use three specific examples to demonstrate an emotional period for her and how the writing helped to demonstrate the emotion during that time.
Essay Topic 2
Elizabeth begins to take Prozac but has a great deal of trouble with it at first. Why is this and how does having enough energy relate to her problems at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Rafe and Elizabeth's relationship worked as well as it did for a time? Explain why their relationship worked due to Rafe's personal family history and how it fit in with Elizabeth's mental state.
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)