|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Elizabeth say madness is really like?
2. Who is Rhoda Koenig?
3. Which fairy tale does her new apartment remind Elizabeth of?
4. Which one of these is NOT a couple that Elizabeth mentions always falling for one another?
5. Which television show wants her to come on as a guest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth finally learn her diagnosis now?
2. Why does Elizabeth say she carries a lot of stuff with her at all times?
3. What does Elizabeth's mother think Elizabeth should do to get better? What does Dr. Sterling suggest instead and why?
4. Elizabeth says if she had any purpose at all, what would she do in London?
5. Elizabeth cries over a movie when she is younger. What is the movie? Why does she cry after this movie? What is her mother's reaction? Is her mother's interpretation correct? Why or why not?
6. Why is Archer the perfect person for Elizabeth to visit after a breakup?
7. Elizabeth starts to cry continuously with Rafe. While talking with Dr. Sterling, what do they decide the reason for this is?
8. What does Elizabeth's Space, Time and Motion class become symbolic of?
9. Why does Elizabeth refuse to appear on the Oprah! show?
10. What about the Dallas music industry surprises Elizabeth when she arrives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe Wurtzel's parents' divorce played a role in her depression? Do you think she would have been depressed if they had stayed together? Did their treatment of each other affect her and consequently her depression during her adolescent years? How so? Use specific examples to demonstrate how you believe the divorce did or did not affect her mental health.
Essay Topic 2
At various points in her life, Elizabeth will feel extreme highs followed by extreme lows. How is this conveyed in the novel? How are the words chosen, descriptions and tone combined together in order to convey the highs or lows of her life at any point in the novel. Use three specific examples to demonstrate an emotional period for her and how the writing helped to demonstrate the emotion during that time.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Elizabeth after the Prozac kicks in. What are her moods like? What is so conscious of all the time?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)