|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which television show wants her to come on as a guest?
2. What book is Elizabeth reading when she is in the infirmary?
3. How does Elizabeth describe Rafe's mother?
4. "Instead of being Depressed Girl, I'm _______ Girl."
5. Which one of these are not a worry Elizabeth faces with Dr. Sterling?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Elizabeth refuse to appear on the Oprah! show?
2. How do Manuel and Elizabeth finally get together?
3. Elizabeth starts to cry continuously with Rafe. While talking with Dr. Sterling, what do they decide the reason for this is?
4. What does Barnaby expect because he shows her around town and picks her up from the airport?
5. Why does Elizabeth say she carries a lot of stuff with her at all times?
6. How do the doctors react when Elizabeth is brought into the hospital covered in blood?
7. Elizabeth cries over a movie when she is younger. What is the movie? Why does she cry after this movie? What is her mother's reaction? Is her mother's interpretation correct? Why or why not?
8. How does Elizabeth feel when she first arrives in Dallas?
9. What does Elizabeth's mom tell her that makes her disease become a reality to her?
10. What does Elizabeth's Space, Time and Motion class become symbolic of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Elizabeth's writing style in the book is unusual. She will jump from a standard font to an italicized one. What impact does this have for the reader? Does it change the tone of the novel? Why or why not? What contribution does it make for the overall story? Does it encourage the reader to relate more to Elizabeth or feel more disconnected from her? Use specific examples from the novel to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Elizabeth begins to take Prozac but has a great deal of trouble with it at first. Why is this and how does having enough energy relate to her problems at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe Elizabeth uses hyperbole in her novel? Why or why not? Use three specific examples from the novel to support your theory. What impact does this have for the reader of the novel?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)