|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Elizabeth lose her virginity?
2. What is Elizabeth's diagnosis?
3. What do her friends suggest she read instead in order to be happy to be alive?
4. What is the name of Samantha's ex-boyfriend?
5. What does Stone suggest is happening to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Elizabeth believe one of the terrible fallacies of contemporary psychotherapy is?
2. What does Elizabeth's Space, Time and Motion class become symbolic of?
3. How does Elizabeth react to her miscarriage afterwards?
4. How does Elizabeth describe the difference between madness and depression in relation to literature?
5. Elizabeth is finally diagnosed with atypical depression. Describe what this disease is.
6. Elizabeth says there are two types of dysfunctional families. What are they?
7. What does Dr. Sterling think that Elizabeth must continue to do while at Stillman Infirmary?
8. How do the doctors react when Elizabeth is brought into the hospital covered in blood?
9. What does Barnaby expect because he shows her around town and picks her up from the airport?
10. Describe Elizabeth's first conversation with Rafe on the phone. Why does she say she's calling him? Why do they continue talking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Elizabeth's description of her depression, taken from a quote by The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway, "Gradually, and then suddenly." Why do you think Elizabeth is attracted to this expression? What about her depression and how she deals with the disease fits into this quote? Use specific examples from the book to explain the "gradual" parts and then the "sudden" parts of Elizabeth's interaction with depression and how it comes to affect every aspect of her life.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Elizabeth after the Prozac kicks in. What are her moods like? What is so conscious of all the time?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Rafe and Elizabeth's relationship worked as well as it did for a time? Explain why their relationship worked due to Rafe's personal family history and how it fit in with Elizabeth's mental state.
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)