|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What benefit did Protagoras say wealthy men had over poor men?
2. What did Socrates want Protagoras to define in his speech?
3. Why did Socrates agree to meet with Protagoras?
4. Why did a porter slam a door in Socrates' face?
5. What did Protagoras say all men should share with others?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Socrates' big talent during the dialogue?
2. Why did Hippocrates stop by Socrates' house late at night?
3. Whom did Simonides criticize in his poem?
4. What did Protagoras say statesmen had done to promote virtue?
5. Why did Socrates say he did not think Protagoras could teach virtue?
6. Why did Socrates not think Protagoras's educational plan would work?
7. What did Protagoras want his pupils to become?
8. How did Protagoras think men got their wisdom?
9. Why was Socrates so hesitant to support Hippocrates in studying with Protagoras?
10. What did Hippocrates hope to learn from Protagoras?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was a sophist, and how did Socrates feel about them? How did this general idea of sophists shape the direction of the discussion in this book?
Essay Topic 2
What was the poem by Simonides about, and how did this direct the dialogue between Protagoras and Socrates?
Essay Topic 3
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)