|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT a piece of virtue according to Protagoras?
2. What did Protagoras say the animals received at the creation?
3. What did Prodicus say gave him true praise?
4. What did Socrates say was the opposite of fair?
5. Why did a porter slam a door in Socrates' face?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was trying to be proved when Simonides' poem was brought up?
2. How did Protagoras say men learned virtue?
3. How did Protagoras say he would teach boys virtue?
4. What was Protagoras's big talent during the dialogue?
5. What did Protagoras say about evil men?
6. How did Protagoras think men got their wisdom?
7. Why did a man slam a door in Socrates' face?
8. What did Socrates do when he was questioned by Protagoras?
9. Why did Protagoras say many sons of leaders were not great leaders?
10. Why did the men try to set up a mediator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of relationship did Socrates have with Hippocrates, and what effect did this have on his encounter with Socrates?
Essay Topic 2
What was a sophist, and how did Socrates feel about them? How did this general idea of sophists shape the direction of the discussion in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Hippocrates was a person whose minor presence made a big difference in the discussion. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)