|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were fables used to teach boys?
2. What was the one thing sophists tried to avoid?
3. To what did Protagoras say men should have a spirit of holiness?
4. Why did Socrates say temperance could not be a part of virtue?
5. Who asked the question about the difference between becoming and being?
Short Essay Questions
1. Whom did Simonides criticize in his poem?
2. How did Protagoras say he would teach boys virtue?
3. What did Prodicus say was the difference between being a good man and becoming a good man?
4. Why did Protagoras say it was important to punish evil men?
5. How did Protagoras think men got their wisdom?
6. Why did Socrates not think Protagoras's educational plan would work?
7. What was trying to be proved when Simonides' poem was brought up?
8. Why did Hippocrates stop by Socrates' house late at night?
9. How did Protagoras say men learned virtue?
10. To what did Protagoras compare the attributes of virtue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
What was a sophist, and how did Socrates feel about them? How did this general idea of sophists shape the direction of the discussion in this book?
Essay Topic 3
What are Protagoras's ideas about persuasion, and how did Socrates respond to these ideas?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)