|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the priest sends back the guide and the mules, why is the mestizo mockingly concerned.
2. How is the priest treated in the village?
3. Who does he see in his dream?
4. What does the priest do as he exits the hut.
5. Why does he believe that Coral is immune from harm if she helps him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the mestizo give himself away to the priest?
2. What feelings pass through the priest as he luxuriates in the Lehrs' kindness?
3. What is the irony of the priest's admission in the jail cell.
4. Describe how the priest decides to stay and return to the Indian village.
5. What transpires between the priest and the mestizo inside the jail?
6. What is the implication of the visitor to the boy's house in the middle of the night?
7. How does the priest awaken the next morning?
8. Thinking everything is finished for him, what does the priest say to people inside the cell?
9. What unusual thing does the priest do when they are within sight of the Indian village?
10. What transpires inside the hut where the Yankee is dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on the value of human life as contrasted by the priest's concern for people and the indiscriminate murder of hostages by the lieutenant. Compare the lieutenant's attitude about the value of lives who disagreed with him to the world situation today where genocide is daily in the headlines.
Essay Topic 2
Greene does not give names to the main characters in the novel, but he does name minor characters. How does that literary technique prevent the novel from being a simple tale of survival and give it a much larger message? To write this paper, you will need to cite instances where people are named and why that makes the story more real. You will also need to explain how not giving names to the central characters helps to make them symbolic of a much larger conflict.
Essay Topic 3
Interestingly, it is a pair of Lutherans who offer the greatest help to the priest. Write a paper on the importance of religious tolerance in the world. Include in your paper how religious intolerance creates multiple problems that work against peaceful co-existence.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)