|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Lehr not like about the Catholic Church?
2. What happens after the priest tries in vain to confess?
3. Why does the priest say that the lieutenant's dream of helping the people is unrealistic?
4. When the priest goes for his guide and his mules, who is there waiting for him?
5. To what does the priest compare the disciplines of the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Indian woman follow the priest as he leaves the next day?
2. How does the priest make money for his trip to the border?
3. Even after the Yankee refuses to make a confession, what does the priest do?
4. How does the priest awaken the next morning?
5. What are the preparations for the priest to escape to Las Casas?
6. While Mr. Trench is in the Police Chief's office, what does he witness?
7. Why does the priest return to the banana plantation and what does he find when he arrives?
8. What feelings pass through the priest as he luxuriates in the Lehrs' kindness?
9. Leaving the plantation, what are conditions like as the priest looks for shelter?
10. Describe the kindness of the lieutenant after telling the priest that he was found guilty at the trial and will be shot tomorrow.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the novel, Mr. Trench and Captain Fellows are presented as a-religious. Write a paper on morality apart from religion. State your opinion on whether or not non-religious people actually are able to hold to high moral standards.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the elements in THE POWER AND THE GLORY that are representative of the age old struggle between Christianity and Communism. Discuss how, with all its flaws, Christianity succeeds at being helpful to the poor where Communism inevitably fails. Use the argument the priest makes to the lieutenant about the inherent weakness of his communistic ideals.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about the mestizo as a personification of Satan. Use examples of his physical description and his cunning ways to show how he, and not the lieutenant, is the representation of pure evil in the novel. Include the interaction between him and the priest to show how he was able to use the priest's deep seated faith to work against him.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)