|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises the lieutenant as they talk inside the hut?
2. Why do the priest and the lieutenant re-enter the hut with the now dead Yankee?
3. How often is the priest allowed to say mass in the village?
4. What does the priest reply when the lieutenant says he never thought the priest would return?
5. What is the significance of the scene with Mrs. Fellows lying ill in a hotel bed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even after the Yankee refuses to make a confession, what does the priest do?
2. Describe how the priest decides to stay and return to the Indian village.
3. What unusual thing does the priest do when they are within sight of the Indian village?
4. What is going on between Mr. and Mrs. Fellows in the hotel room?
5. Describe how the meeting between the lieutenant and the priest shows a different side of both men.
6. Describe the kindness of the lieutenant after telling the priest that he was found guilty at the trial and will be shot tomorrow.
7. Why does the Indian woman follow the priest as he leaves the next day?
8. What transpires inside the hut where the Yankee is dying?
9. Why does the priest return to the banana plantation and what does he find when he arrives?
10. Compare the benevolence of the Church with the plans the lieutenant has for the people.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mother is symbolic of nurturing mothers the world over. Write a paper about a mother's protectiveness of her children and the lengths she will go to in order to keep them safe, both physically and spiritually. In writing the paper, include the woman who was in jail for possessing religious literature. Assess what that signifies for the mother who has religious stories to read to her children.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about the mestizo as a personification of Satan. Use examples of his physical description and his cunning ways to show how he, and not the lieutenant, is the representation of pure evil in the novel. Include the interaction between him and the priest to show how he was able to use the priest's deep seated faith to work against him.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on how early childhood influences one for the rest of one's life. Begin with the priest's recollection that his had been a happy childhood except that he had been afraid of too many things and hated poverty above all. The fear of poverty had motivated him to his vocation, but unlike Father José, he learned a higher motivation. Relate his experience with your own or that of someone you know.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)