|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What strange thing does the lieutenant do before he sends the priest out of the jail?
2. What is the significance of the scene with Mrs. Fellows lying ill in a hotel bed?
3. How does the priest get something to eat?
4. What surprises the lieutenant as they talk inside the hut?
5. Why does the priest envy the people of the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Even after the Yankee refuses to make a confession, what does the priest do?
2. Describe the conditions in the jail.
3. Describe how the priest decides to stay and return to the Indian village.
4. Thinking everything is finished for him, what does the priest say to people inside the cell?
5. What unusual thing does the priest do when they are within sight of the Indian village?
6. Describe how the meeting between the lieutenant and the priest shows a different side of both men.
7. What happens after the priest is left alone in his cell?
8. What are the preparations for the priest to escape to Las Casas?
9. Compare the benevolence of the Church with the plans the lieutenant has for the people.
10. In spite of the lieutenant's assurances, Father José refuses to go to the jail to hear the priest's confession. What is the irony of that situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main theme of the novel is the inner struggle of the priest. Write a paper explaining how Greene uses the priest's weaknesses to demonstrate his real strengths. In your paper, discuss the importance of self forgiveness considering that all people make mistakes in their lives.
Essay Topic 2
In meeting his daughter, Brigetta, the priest is aware of an immense load of responsibility not distinguishable from love. Write a paper on how you feel that love makes one obligated to the person loved. Use examples of parents and young children and older children with aged parents. Relate the idea to your sense of obligation to someone you love.
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, the stories the mother reads to her children are about a young boy named Juan who grows up to become a priest and later a saint. The story runs in serial form throughout the novel. Write a paper about how this story parallels the life of the priest and ultimately changes the boy's attitude toward the Church.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)