|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What weakness does the priest have causes him more difficulty?
2. What does Captain Fellows learn about the policeman?
3. How does the priest rationalize his guilt over the murdered hostage?
4. What is happening to the priests in this Mexican state?
5. Who is the last priest on the run from the police?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Greene show more of the priest's humility and contrition?
2. What information does the Police chief have to impart to the lieutenant?
3. Why does Mr. Trench invite the man into his house?
4. In the village of the old man in a hammock, describe the request that is made of the priest.
5. What is the pathetic scene that occurs just as he leaves the village.
6. Describe Captain Fellow's reaction to the charge against the priest.
7. Explain how Greene establishes the character of Father José.
8. In chapter two, how does Greene establish a deep-seated religious faith on the part of common citizens?
9. Describe the scene in the town as Mr. Trench walks through it.
10. Describe the characters of the Police Chief and the lieutenant as seen in the cantina.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The mother is symbolic of nurturing mothers the world over. Write a paper about a mother's protectiveness of her children and the lengths she will go to in order to keep them safe, both physically and spiritually. In writing the paper, include the woman who was in jail for possessing religious literature. Assess what that signifies for the mother who has religious stories to read to her children.
Essay Topic 2
In the novel, Mr. Trench and Captain Fellows are presented as a-religious. Write a paper on morality apart from religion. State your opinion on whether or not non-religious people actually are able to hold to high moral standards.
Essay Topic 3
There are several layers to the character of the lieutenant. Much of his inner motivation is left up to the imagination of the reader. One thing is made clear, his resentment goes back to his childhood. Write a paper in which you surmise what it was that happened to him as a child to make him so resentful of the Church as an adult.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)