|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Captain Fellows tell the policeman that satisfies him?
2. After he realizes he cannot stay in the village, what promise does the priest make to the people?
3. Why does Coral want her father to speak to the policeman?
4. Why is the lieutenant eager to hunt down the priest?
5. On his morning walk, what does Mr. Trench hear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the priest come to the capital city where he sees the mestizo talking with the police?
2. What transpires in the police station the morning the stranger arrives in the town?
3. After the priest on his mule crosses the river, what happens that is cause for alarm?
4. Describe the scene in the town as Mr. Trench walks through it.
5. What information does the Police chief have to impart to the lieutenant?
6. What is the conversation like inside Mr. Trench's house?
7. The mother who reads religious stories to her children is important in the story. How does Greene use this family to punctuate the fact that the common people want the Church returned?
8. What feeling does Greene evoke with the introduction of the mestizo?
9. Describe the characters of the Police Chief and the lieutenant as seen in the cantina.
10. Why is he not welcome in his home town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several layers to the character of the lieutenant. Much of his inner motivation is left up to the imagination of the reader. One thing is made clear, his resentment goes back to his childhood. Write a paper in which you surmise what it was that happened to him as a child to make him so resentful of the Church as an adult.
Essay Topic 2
Critique the novel. Imagining yourself as a book reviewer, write a critique of THE POWER AND THE GLORY discussing Graham Greene's style, vocabulary, symbolism, and ability to maintain the interest of the reader. Rate it from one to five stars where five stars is excellent. Explain why you would or would not recommend it to someone else to read.
Essay Topic 3
Governmental prohibition of anything never works. In the novel, the government is trying to prohibit religion to the point of completely stamping it out. In a parallel example, hard liquor and wine are prohibited as well. Write a paper on how Greene uses this to subtly suggest the prohibition of religion will fail as well.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)