|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often is the priest allowed to say mass in the village?
(a) Once a week.
(b) Twice a week.
(c) Every day.
(d) A couple of times.
2. What is the significance of the scene with Mrs. Fellows lying ill in a hotel bed?
(a) She has run away from her husband, trying to return to England.
(b) Her sickness represents the ills of society.
(c) It is symbolic of the pending death of the priest.
(d) Coral, her daughter, is not there and it is clear that she is dead.
3. What are the weather conditions in the mountains?
(a) It is sunny and cool.
(b) It is dry and hot.
(c) There is freezing rain.
(d) The wind is hurricane force.
4. Once in the village, why is the Yankee looking around?
(a) He expects something to happen at any moment.
(b) He is looking for something to drink.
(c) He is in his death throes.
(d) He is trying to find a good place to hide.
5. What does the mestizo want from the priest to do?
(a) To give the mestizo another mule.
(b) To give the Mestizo money for not turning him in.
(c) To go to the dying Yankee and give last rites.
(d) To return to Carmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mr. Fellows want to stay in Mexico?
2. In his dream, who is pouring the wine for the mass into his glass?
3. With what knowledge does the priest continue on to the village.
4. What is the Indian woman searching for in the maize?
5. What strange thing does the lieutenant do before he sends the priest out of the jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unusual thing does the priest do when they are within sight of the Indian village?
2. Describe the kindness of the lieutenant after telling the priest that he was found guilty at the trial and will be shot tomorrow.
3. Notwithstanding the civility that had transpired between the lieutenant and the priest, how does the lieutenant behave at the execution?
4. Thinking everything is finished for him, what does the priest say to people inside the cell?
5. Why does the Indian woman follow the priest as he leaves the next day?
6. Why does the priest return to the banana plantation and what does he find when he arrives?
7. Describe the conditions in the jail.
8. Describe how the meeting between the lieutenant and the priest shows a different side of both men.
9. Going on, what refuge does the priest eventually find?
10. How does the mestizo give himself away to the priest?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)