|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the priest hear from outside the hut where he is with the dying Yankee?
(a) The Indian woman screaming at the police for killing her son.
(b) The clamor of horses riding up.
(c) The lieutenant's voice asking if he is finished.
(d) The mestizo demanding his money.
2. When the priest leaves the woman and her dead son in the cemetery, what does he find when he returns?
(a) The woman had dug a grave with her bare hands.
(b) The woman is gone and wolves are attacking the boy's body.
(c) The boy has revived and the woman is crying tears of joy.
(d) The woman is gone and the body is laid in front of a cross.
3. What surprises the lieutenant as they talk inside the hut?
(a) That the priest is a whiskey priest.
(b) That the priest has decided to be a martyr.
(c) That the priest offers him a large bribe to let him go.
(d) That the priest has a daughter.
4. How far away is the Yankee when the priest sends the guide and mules back?
(a) Just down the hill.
(b) A day's travel on foot.
(c) Just on the outskirts.
(d) About one hour away.
5. When the priest goes for his guide and his mules, who is there waiting for him?
(a) The lieutenant.
(b) The Indian woman.
(c) Mr. Trench
(d) The mestizo.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the priest sends back the guide and the mules, why is the mestizo mockingly concerned.
2. What does the priest mean when he says he won't be returning the way he came?
3. What agitates the Yankee while the priest is speaking with him?
4. Why can he not say the act of contrition?
5. What does the boy do as the lieutenant walks by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the implication of the visitor to the boy's house in the middle of the night?
2. What is the irony of the priest's admission in the jail cell.
3. Why does the priest return to the banana plantation and what does he find when he arrives?
4. How does the mestizo give himself away to the priest?
5. Thinking everything is finished for him, what does the priest say to people inside the cell?
6. What happens after the priest is left alone in his cell?
7. Compare the benevolence of the Church with the plans the lieutenant has for the people.
8. By the time they reach the outskirts of the city, what seems to be the relationship between the lieutenant and the priest?
9. Describe how the meeting between the lieutenant and the priest shows a different side of both men.
10. While Mr. Trench is in the Police Chief's office, what does he witness?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)