|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have Mr. and Mrs. Fellows agreed not to do?
(a) Tell anyone they are leaving.
(b) Press charges against the police.
(c) Mention their daughter's name.
(d) Think about the future.
2. Why can he not say the act of contrition?
(a) He has long ago forgotten the words.
(b) He does not believe he has the right.
(c) He is too terrified to think.
(d) He is confused and cannot recall the words.
3. What makes the priest fear the lieutenant will recognize him from Carmen?
(a) He sees the old photo of himself on the lieutenant's wall.
(b) The lieutenant stares at him for a long time.
(c) The lieutenant keeps scratching his head.
(d) The lieutenant asks him a lot of questions.
4. Why does he believe that Coral is immune from harm if she helps him?
(a) Because she is a foreigner.
(b) Because she is so young.
(c) Because she is smarter than the lieutenant.
(d) Because she can get her father to do anything.
5. Where does the priest wake up after meeting the man with the gun?
(a) Inside the small church.
(b) In jail.
(c) In the hospital.
(d) In the home of the Lehrs, a brother and sister from Germany.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his dream, who is pouring the wine for the mass into his glass?
2. Why do the priest and the lieutenant re-enter the hut with the now dead Yankee?
3. What does the priest mean when he says he won't be returning the way he came?
4. What does the priest now begin to wonder?
5. Why does the priest envy the people of the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the conditions in the jail.
2. Describe how the meeting between the lieutenant and the priest shows a different side of both men.
3. What is the implication of the visitor to the boy's house in the middle of the night?
4. Why does the Indian woman follow the priest as he leaves the next day?
5. What unusual thing does the priest do when they are within sight of the Indian village?
6. What are the preparations for the priest to escape to Las Casas?
7. In spite of the lieutenant's assurances, Father José refuses to go to the jail to hear the priest's confession. What is the irony of that situation?
8. What transpires between the priest and the mestizo inside the jail?
9. Describe the kindness of the lieutenant after telling the priest that he was found guilty at the trial and will be shot tomorrow.
10. Even after the Yankee refuses to make a confession, what does the priest do?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)