|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information dismays the priest?
(a) He will be crucified in the plaza of the capital.
(b) He will have to return to the capital to stand trial.
(c) The lieutenant is determined to have all the children see the execution.
(d) He will suffer a prolonged and agonizing death.
2. What does the priest take it to mean when the Indian woman says, Americano?
(a) That this wouldn't happen in America.
(b) That the boy is an American.
(c) That the American fugitive killed the boy.
(d) That her husband is in America.
3. Although he believes the mestizo is laying a trap for him, what does the priest do?
(a) He assures Mr. Lehr that he will be all right.
(b) He holds a gun on the mestizo but goes with him.
(c) He turns and heads for the Yankee.
(d) He gives the mestizo all his money.
4. Back in the home where the mother is reading to her children, what does she say about the priest?
(a) That he is not the same man who once visited them when she was ill.
(b) That he is now a martyr.
(c) That they should not tell anyone he was once in their house.
(d) That because of him, the Church is dead.
5. What does Mr. Fellows wonder when he hears that a priest was executed?
(a) If he were the same man Coral tried to help.
(b) If they suspect he is also a priest.
(c) If they will get to leave the country.
(d) If there will be a revolution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the priest admit in the prison?
2. What does the mestizo want from the priest to do?
3. What does Mr. Lehr not like about the Catholic Church?
4. When the priest leaves the woman and her dead son in the cemetery, what does he find when he returns?
5. What happens after the priest tries in vain to confess?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare the benevolence of the Church with the plans the lieutenant has for the people.
2. How does the priest make money for his trip to the border?
3. What is the irony of the priest's admission in the jail cell.
4. What transpires between the priest and the mestizo inside the jail?
5. What transpires inside the hut where the Yankee is dying?
6. Describe the conditions in the jail.
7. How does the mestizo give himself away to the priest?
8. Leaving the plantation, what are conditions like as the priest looks for shelter?
9. Going on, what refuge does the priest eventually find?
10. What unusual thing does the priest do when they are within sight of the Indian village?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)